Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

sox are retiring buerhle's number today

Yeah, my girlfriend's whole family is super Bridgeport, so I'll be there lamenting that I didn't talk Mr. Geraci into buying the stadium's naming rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Apparently Osuna wasn't available last night due to a mental issue he's going through, which is mega lovely.

https://twitter.com/ArdenZwelling/status/878642506975588355

Feel better lil' dude.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm glad that they appear to be treating it seriously at least.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Those Twitter replies are much more positive than I would have anticipated

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Those Twitter replies are much more positive than I would have anticipated

I would've assumed it was just wall-to-wall "suck it up pussy" and "how can someone who gets paid millions to play a game ever feel bad about anything?"

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Mark Buehrle was a treasure and a gift to the game of baseball. If he played on a more prominent team he would be much more revered by the average fan, but as it is I'm glad he was on the Sox.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'll never get over how ridiculous this dig is.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
The Big Hurt on Buehrle: "I don't care how great the players were, how big the game was, his goal was to get us out of there in two hours and fifteen minutes."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That play is ridiculous, but what's the context where that's not a foul ball?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Comebacker took a crazy kick off his foot

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v7282679/clecws-buehrles-backhand-flick-gets-the-runner

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Mark's son sang the anthem.
V: Sounded like the anthem from Dark Knight Rises.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Anime Reference posted:

I would've assumed it was just wall-to-wall "suck it up pussy" and "how can someone who gets paid millions to play a game ever feel bad about anything?"

He's not a Cardinal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish Rob Manfred assigned Mark Buerhle the assignment of making games shorter.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I remember Khalil Greene's career pretty much ended because of depression. Hope Osuna can get the help he needs.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Anime Reference posted:

There's a lot of that on Instagram but twitter seems pretty reasonable about it

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Chexoid posted:

Apparently Osuna wasn't available last night due to a mental issue he's going through, which is mega lovely.

https://twitter.com/ArdenZwelling/status/878642506975588355

Feel better lil' dude.

I am astounded and awed that Osuna had the balls to be open about this. Now I love him even more.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shadok posted:

I am astounded and awed that Osuna had the balls to be open about this. Now I love him even more.

ESPN said it was anxiety, which I was going to say would be pretty crippling on the field for a closer. But apparently it's just real life that's the problem.

quote:

"This has nothing to do with me being on the field. I feel great out there. It's just when I'm out of baseball, when I'm not on the field, that I feel just weird and a little bit lost."

Glad the Jays seem to be ok with giving him time to deal with things.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hope Osuna can get the help he needs.

The Blue Jays have a Head of Mental Performance and two Mental Performance Coaches who have been working with him.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Good for him speaking out - glad he's getting help. I guess he didn't have the easiest childhood; apparently he dropped out of school pretty young and started playing pro in the mexican leagues when he was like 16. Hopefully some time off will help

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trade Estrada/Pillar/Liriano for whatever you can get, DFA Goins and Grilli.

Sign Donaldson to an extension or trade him too.

Oh ya, and fire Atkins and Shapiro, this team is boring and mediocre and didn't have to be.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Trade Estrada/Pillar/Liriano for whatever you can get, DFA Goins and Grilli.

Sign Donaldson to an extension or trade him too.

Oh ya, and fire Atkins and Shapiro, this team is boring and mediocre and didn't have to be.

Wasn't Shapiro basically hired for the explicit purpose of shedding payroll? Mediocrity seems to be their goal.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The payroll is higher this year than last so who the heck knows!

Even if that was the case, the signings/trades they did make were bad and puzzling and overpays.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would hesitate on signing donaldson. i love watching him hit and he's an unstoppable force when healthy, but his nagging injury history is long and he always played through them. now he's not able to play through them it seems. all that compounds and i can't see him not declining in the next two or three years.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

shadok posted:

The Blue Jays have a Head of Mental Performance and two Mental Performance Coaches who have been working with him.

As far as I'm aware, the mental aspect of the game and Celebrity in general has been a growing part of the MLB in recent years, which is really smart and honestly a bit better than I expected. I'm glad it's being taken seriously.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

Speaking of dead pitchers, yesterday was 15 years since Darryl Kile. I feel both old and grateful for the chance to get old. :(

We had the TV on in he background for my mom's 50th birthday party with the sound off and I kept wondering why everyone looked all somber and there were people talking on screen when the game was supposed to be going on.

I didn't find out til I got home.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 24, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

i would hesitate on signing donaldson. i love watching him hit and he's an unstoppable force when healthy, but his nagging injury history is long and he always played through them. now he's not able to play through them it seems. all that compounds and i can't see him not declining in the next two or three years.

On the other hand sign him cause he's fun to watch and spend Rogers' god drat money!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Red posted:

Does anyone know where to find the MLB anime/manga pictures that everyone here used for avatars and stuff like 6-7 years ago?

Was it the old MLB comics on that Korean news site? The one where Billy Beane was a bean pod wearing a polo shirt?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

Who the hell is Mark Buehrle?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sitting here in Dodgers stadium about to watch Kershaw. No home runs tonight Clayton, I'm sorry about what I said about pitchers!!!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Congratulations San Francisco on being the first team to reach 50 losses this year!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bawfuls posted:

Congratulations San Francisco on being the first team to reach 50 losses this year!

The GIDP was overturned maybe pump the brakes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Did the phillies stop playing ?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

The GIDP was overturned maybe pump the brakes
EYBS can't help you now

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
E: ^^^ I think you missed the joke

Now the Giants have lost 50.

euphronius posted:

Did the phillies stop playing ?

They've played 5 fewer games than the Giants at this point.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 25, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

At what point does Angelos realize that Duquette is not some sort of genius, but instead has systematically destroyed that 2012 team through moronic trades and horrific contracts?

Edit: Showalter's body language looks like he's just checked out, too.

Well they managed to avoid actually breaking it tonight so never?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

today was the first time three rookies hit their first dinger in the same game. i guess "big game" james shields decided to make a big game out of nothing by yielding all three dingers,

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

today was the first time three rookies hit their first dinger in the same game. i guess "big game" james shields decided to make a big game out of nothing by yielding all three dingers,

Same game off the same pitcher, I thought. Back in 1914 I thought 3 rookies did it in the same game but against different pitchers.

Pre-game ceremony was pretty good (plus learning which former players and current execs White Sox fans will openly boo), game itself was absolute trash. I thought the crowd might have followed the umps to the parking lot after that bullshit call at first. How it wasn't overturned I have no idea.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Same game off the same pitcher, I thought. Back in 1914 I thought 3 rookies did it in the same game but against different pitchers.

you're right, good gravy james shields

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That crash you heard was Rockies pitching falling back to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

bawfuls posted:

Thanks, can't wait to congratulate you guys on 29 consecutive years without a Word Series appearance.

• Locked thread