Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He ate a whole roast chicken really quickly.

And I think started eating people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WsMSkXog5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

docbeard posted:

Also, SIMM, not SIMMS, for god's sake, people.

Utopia literally aired ten years ago and people still type "Simms." I think that battle's been lost.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Caught up today with it. That was really good! The scenes in the hospital with the patients were really good, properly disconcerting. The setting was pulpy-sci-fi enough without having too much technobabble. I knew Simm would be in it but I actually didn't have him pegged as Razor until he met Missy so that was fun. I really hope they'll be able to stick the landing next week.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I really liked this episode, but am not optimistic for part two. I think I've just been burned by too many multi-parters.

docbeard posted:

Also, SIMM, not SIMMS, for god's sake, people.

This and Christopher "Reeves" playing Superman drive me crazy.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Big things went down this episode huh

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
Did anyone catch the exact amount of time dilation between the ends of the ship? I remember the clock would only be on a few seconds and I couldn't read it fast enough because it was "year and day" as a few numbers with no separation or something like that?

Point being, it was implied it was a few years = a few minutes (an eyebrow not even moving for weeks or months or whatever it was implies that), but that doesn't make tremendous sense. Bill doesn't visibly age (and in case you think maybe the implants she already has helped, neither do the grouchy nurse or lowercase-d doctor). Also if the Master sent the proto-cybermen up to get Bill the second he sees everyone arrive, by the time they'd get up there, take her, and return, that would be several years of no progress in cyber-conversion. Although, knowing the Master, once he realized he had a chance to really screw over the Doctor, he'd probably make sure the progress ground to a halt for centuries if need be for his plan to come to fruition (and only proceed in converting her as soon as they started coming down the elevator).

Relative time between various distances from a black hole is bad enough, without throwing an elevator into the mix.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cruel Rose posted:

Big things went down this episode huh

the masters team up to split a sundae

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I think the amount of time is implied to be several years total, five at the most, enough to be really frickin long while keeping people in a similarish age bracket.

The Master was watching the bridge cameras on his crappy TV, so he would have set everything in motion the second the Doctor got in the lift and (presumably) knew exactly how long he had. I'm guessing he provided them with at least some of the technology to finish the conversion process.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stabbatical posted:

Caught up today with it. That was really good! The scenes in the hospital with the patients were really good, properly disconcerting. The setting was pulpy-sci-fi enough without having too much technobabble. I knew Simm would be in it but I actually didn't have him pegged as Razor until he met Missy so that was fun. I really hope they'll be able to stick the landing next week.
I didn't notice until then either. I think it's really impressive that they basically said what the twist was going to be and it still wasn't obvious because of how Simm played it.

e: also I like the idea that he just hates the thought that he could ever become good, he just has to stop that happening!

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 25, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

Anyway, holy poo poo that was great. It would have been even better if JOHN SIMM IS COMING BACK AS THE MASTER hadn't been all over the place for like a year, but such is the reality of television promotion I guess.

BBC America did us one better(worse). I saw the Cybermen reveal coming but they did one of those stupid "coming up" previews where they spoil the Mondas reveal.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Timby posted:

Utopia literally aired ten years ago and people still type "Simms." I think that battle's been lost.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wish I hadn't watched the NEXT TIME at the end of the 9th Legion episode because it spoiled the gently caress out of everything. I wouldn't have seen the Cyberman thing until Bill's operation because I'm not familiar with the Monday's Cyberman, and I definitely wouldn't have seen John Simm's return since I'm not in the U.K.

Screw you BBC :mad:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davidson was ok but he's no Christopher Ecclestone.

Jeffe posted:

Did anyone catch the exact amount of time dilation between the ends of the ship? I remember the clock would only be on a few seconds and I couldn't read it fast enough because it was "year and day" as a few numbers with no separation or something like that?

2 days bridge= 365,000 days at the bottom. If a Mondasian year is the same as Earth's, then they were down there for 1000 years.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

TinTower posted:

The last companion to irreversibly snuff it with no take-backsies was Adric. Doesn't look good if they break the 34-year streak now.
On the other hand, I'd like Bill to be the first of a run of companions who never last more than one series (sometimes less) and The Doctor gets more and more broken as he realises all the deaths are his fault.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really liked the scenes of the Doctor and Bill jokingly discussing her mortality whilst eating chips, while the Doctor tried to defuse the situation in the present. Especially with how cavalier they both were:
"Just... promise me you won't let me die, yeah?"
"Oh, I can't promise that..."
"Oh... hah... thanks!"

As we see the gun go off and a large hole in her chest is revealed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

Davidson was ok but he's no Christopher Ecclestone.

2 days bridge= 365,000 days at the bottom. If a Mondasian year is the same as Earth's, then they were down there for 1000 years.

Well, of course a Mondas year is the same as Earth's; it's Earth's twin!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Bill is down on Floor 1056 for at least ten months, maybe more.

From the Doctor's perspective, only thirty seconds take place between the two shots of the clock (365036:00:23:29–365344:10:02:21).

So you're looking at a time dilation of about 1,000,000, and thus a black hole on the scale of a hundred solar masses.

:eng101:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

I really liked the scenes of the Doctor and Bill jokingly discussing her mortality whilst eating chips, while the Doctor tried to defuse the situation in the present. Especially with how cavalier they both were:
"Just... promise me you won't let me die, yeah?"
"Oh, I can't promise that..."
"Oh... hah... thanks!"

As we see the gun go off and a large hole in her chest is revealed.

I would have expected the Doctor to put himself dead in front of Bill and not move as he went over to the blue dude rather than going around his line of fire, but I suppose if he'd done that the plot wouldn't have happened.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet, but what about the "Doctor Who" thing. When Missy was like "I'm Doctor Who" she was just being Missy.

But when the Doctor had to intervene and he acknowledged "I am Doctor Who", at least one of my eyebrows went up. How do you folks interpret that line?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Doctor Who is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQWDPrfgkeY

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The only problem with this episode is that you know Big Finish will do a convoluted and completely unnecessary story trying to make it and Spare Parts fit together. It's okay to have a few different versions of the story!

With the regeneration cold open, I was spending the episode going, "What if Capaldi regenerates into Simm?!"

Also, glad I wasn't the only one at the opening who went, "Finally, the Red Dwarf/Doctor Who crossover we've all been clamoring for!"

Carbon dioxide posted:

But when the Doctor had to intervene and he acknowledged "I am Doctor Who", at least one of my eyebrows went up. How do you folks interpret that line?

Moffat was yanking everyone's chains with a throwback reference. Right around the time of The 10th Planet, there were several stories that essentially gave his name as "Doctor Who". He was, as stated in the episode, winding us up.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 25, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
DOCTOR: she's not Doctor Who, I'm Doctor Who.
NARDOLE: you're not, are you?
DOCTOR: I like it.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 25, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rewatching again. I still love the very meta "These are my disposables... Exposition and Comic Relief."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Rewatching again. I still love the very meta "These are my disposables... Exposition and Comic Relief."

"Those are genders, dear."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jorj says there was a skeleton crew of 50 on the ship, 20 went down to reverse the engines, where are the other 29 people? It's only been 2 days for him, but he already knows about the proto-Cybermen taking only humans. Time dilation is such a headache.

Edit: just paused and saw floor 1056 is on day 365,035, which means 1000 years has passed for them in only 2 days for floor 1. :psyduck:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 25, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The slow reveal of all the cyber bits seemed super wasted to me because the voice synthesizer was perfect from the beginning and the creepy surgeon guy says "conversion" right after Bill wakes up for the first time.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

The grindhouse-esque zoom on John Sim after he pulls off the mask is just inspired.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
1000 years in 2 days comes to a little over 3 years in 10 minutes, which was Nardole's generous estimate for how long they were on the top floor before they went down for Bill. Adding the time they'll have spent on the elevators, 5 years seems reasonable

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Jorj says there was a skeleton crew of 50 on the ship, 20 went down to reverse the engines, where are the other 29 people? It's only been 2 days for him, but he already knows about the proto-Cybermen taking only humans. Time dilation is such a headache.

Edit: just paused and saw floor 1056 is on day 365,035, which means 1000 years has passed for them in only 2 days for floor 1. :psyduck:

Yeah, I guess the engine crew went down there and then from his point of view, almost immediately the lift came back up and the proto cybes grabbed the other humans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Day 365,433 now and she's cleaning floors. Bill's been down there over a year.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I can't understand a word you're saying.

Yes.

Right.

Yes.

With you.

Oh.

Ah.

Right.
Dear god, I think I just worried the neighbors with my cackling. It helps that I have been part of an exchange exactly like this with you years ago in some other thread when we were talking about White Hole.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

we were talking about White Hole.

A white hole?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
That was a great episode. Would have been even better if they hadn't tipped their hand a bit about The Master and Cybermen though.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if the Master had anything to do with that expedition to the 500th floor failing? They had the clocks showing that 2 days passed in the control room while 10,000 years passed at their end of the ship, so they should have realized how long an expedition would take. Even a quick look 'round would have had them away from the city for years.

The way it's been set up I'm expecting that the expedition succeeded but either people failed to account for the time discrepancy or the all clear message got intercepted/sabotaged, which means people on the lower deck are coming up with desperate drastic solutions to a non-existent problem. Using an imaginary threat and an imaginary tragedy to trick people into destroying themselves is the sort of scheme The Master dreams about.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you think about it the doctor realises the time dilation thing fairly instantly but still spends 3 years of bills life explaining it. Mean

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think this timeline QUITE works because Mondasians would still have the same agoraphobia that necessitated the conversion process I'm the first place. Plus Zheng would have been converting them as fast as possible anyway.

I only said after because I figured that if a colony ship had been hired from aliens the Mondasians would have mentioned it to the Fifth Doctor, plus IIRC they seemed surprised aliens existed. :shrug:

I figure there may have been some lulls in the cyberconversions, perhaps whole years where they held off. Plenty of time for the Master to show up with a good offer.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Elite posted:

The way it's been set up I'm expecting that the expedition succeeded but either people failed to account for the time discrepancy or the all clear message got intercepted/sabotaged, which means people on the lower deck are coming up with desperate drastic solutions to a non-existent problem. Using an imaginary threat and an imaginary tragedy to trick people into destroying themselves is the sort of scheme The Master dreams about.

That's why I referenced "Utopia." That entire deperate struggle to launch a rocket to a fake paradise was implied to have been contrived by The Master. The Futurekind as a threat was probably engineered by him as well.

In the end it just put them in a position to be converted by him to the Toclafane.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The absolute best part of all this is the Ainsley goatee he grew for his return. :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will say, the Doctor discounting Bill's moral high ground over calling the Master a murderer, by comparing the Master's literal genocide to her eating non sapient life forms that she did not personally kill, might be the dumbest thing in the entire episode.

Doctor, the Master literally has been the direct cause of your death, what, twice now? Three times?

And more over, Doctor, the Master is single handedly responsible for wiping out 1/3rd of the known universe.

Yes, I dare say, Bill might have the loving moral high ground compared to her.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

This has been Moffat's master plan all along. He's had this in mind since he became showrunner, probably since he was a teenager actually. Become in charge of Doctor Who, spend years trying to prove you're not sexist and act as progressive as possible while apologizing for gaffes and doing stuff like MtF Time Lord regeneration, create a gay, black, female character--and have her killed off by a white male.

:boom:

Patriarchy's ultimate victory! With a totally non-convoluted plan!

I personally think Moffat just kills off all of his companions and that he saved the most tragic death for the last one, and that while the timing is unfortunate, it is not inappropriate for this to happen to Bill.

Still, this irritating screed of yours really, really makes you look awfully, painfully stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Now that I think about it. The Doctor has aged like, what several hundred (thousand?) years over the last few regeneration's. Contemporary Earth to the Doctor back in 3's time was the 70's(80's?). So contemporary earth to the Doctor now is actually a long goddamn time from now.

• Locked thread