Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

After installing the creator's update, my Start Menu takes a while to populate items. It'll just be a blank menu whenever I click on it. Then after a minute or two, when I click on it again, all the icons finally show up. It never used to do this before, and it's happening very often. Please help :(

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

biznatchio posted:

Yes, but the question was this:

Which has nothing to do with locking when you connect and everything to do with locking when you disconnect.

PRADA SLUT phrased the question wrong, because Windows does not lock when you disconnect RDP. Windows will lock immediately when you connect with RDP, it will remain locked when you disconnect and I don't know of any way to avoid. You need to use some alternative remote software, or maybe jerryrig Remote Assistance somehow.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I swear I remember someone having this problem before, but I don't know if it was solved. Windows 10 pro, x64, build 16226. Whenever I start typing into Cortana I will type 3 or so characters and then suddenly the input will take one jump back to the left. And, obviously, that messes up my search. It doesn't happen in any other programs I've found so far, and wasn't happening until I updated to build 16226. Any ideas?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

BrainDance posted:

I swear I remember someone having this problem before, but I don't know if it was solved. Windows 10 pro, x64, build 16226. Whenever I start typing into Cortana I will type 3 or so characters and then suddenly the input will take one jump back to the left. And, obviously, that messes up my search. It doesn't happen in any other programs I've found so far, and wasn't happening until I updated to build 16226. Any ideas?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735712&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=180#post472702437

Conclusion - pony up $500 to Microsoft and open a ticket.

Unless you're not using the on-screen keyboard, in which maybe restarting your computer will help?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ah poo poo..

Well, I'm not using a touch keyboard. Just a normal laptop with a normal keyboard. No new drivers out there for my keyboard, but I'll look into it some more to make sure Windows didn't uninstall my normal keyboard drivers. Seems to matter less and less since search somehow drastically decreased the usefulness of my search results. It's not returning any results from the control panel anymore, usually just useless junk anyway.

Gonna have to find a new way to reliably and quickly pull up the Game Controllers programs.

Thanks though Actuarial Fables.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

BrainDance posted:

Ah poo poo..

Well, I'm not using a touch keyboard. Just a normal laptop with a normal keyboard. No new drivers out there for my keyboard, but I'll look into it some more to make sure Windows didn't uninstall my normal keyboard drivers. Seems to matter less and less since search somehow drastically decreased the usefulness of my search results. It's not returning any results from the control panel anymore, usually just useless junk anyway.

Gonna have to find a new way to reliably and quickly pull up the Game Controllers programs.

Thanks though Actuarial Fables.

I just realized that you're on a fast ring insider build. It might be worth putting in feedback regarding this issue since it happened with the latest beta build. Maybe they'll fix it!

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Try this for disconnecting RDP and unlocking the local session: https://techjourney.net/remote-desktop-connection-without-locking-remote-computer-session-on-disconnect/

might need to "query session" first

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

dissss posted:

You jest but my parents LG 'smart TV' has done just that a couple of times

Most TVs have become giant tablets and I hate it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

At this point, I'd rather buy a monitor and converter box for everyone who wants to watch TV. It'd probably be cheaper, too.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah nothing like getting loving ads on my monitor/tv.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

redeyes posted:

Yeah nothing like getting loving ads on my monitor/tv.

Wait, are you serious? A smart TV would display adds just out of nowhere?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Volguus posted:

Wait, are you serious? A smart TV would display adds just out of nowhere?

Not only that - smart TVs now mine user control input and collect data on media watched.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't some Samsungs have their microphones hijacked by malware and were recording and sending audio to some chinese servers somewhere? :tinfoil:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

PerrineClostermann posted:

Didn't some Samsungs have their microphones hijacked by malware and were recording and sending audio to some chinese servers somewhere? :tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure that was one of the leaked NSA exploits - a (literal) drive-by exploit on Samsung smart TVs that can surreptitiously enable the microphone even if the TV is off.

Not sure if it was show to have been used in the wild.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

bobfather posted:

I'm pretty sure that was one of the leaked NSA exploits - a (literal) drive-by exploit on Samsung smart TVs that can surreptitiously enable the microphone even if the TV is off.

Not sure if it was show to have been used in the wild.

It needed physical acces to tv's USB port.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

MikusR posted:

It needed physical acces to tv's USB port.

You're right, I was confusing it with this (fully wireless) attack

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bobfather posted:

You're right, I was confusing it with this (fully wireless) attack

That's not effective in a lot of the world, due to needing full DVB support enabled. North America, South Korea and a large chunk of the Carribbean use ATSC, Japan, Phillipines, a few African countries and most of South/Central America and most of the remainder of the Carribbean uses ISDB. China and a few other countries like Cuba use DTMB.

Since DVB using nations also usually use different channel allocations than ATSC especially, but to a lesser extent ISDB and DTMB, it's often impossible to access the left over DVB support in a TV, since it'll only take DVB broadcasts over the "proper" channels.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have an LG TV and it shows ads on the side when the input/app selector is open. Usually something like "Watch Game Of Thrones Now" with a link to Hulu or the LG movie store.

It shows actual ads on the side of the LG App Store screen though, but I rarely if ever use it.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
For some reason my RDP has stopped working. I can't connect to my PC from the iOS RDP app on 4G but it will work if I'm connected to my local wireless network.

I've got ports forwarded and I've tried disabling the windows firewall.

Any ideas?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
After I changed the name of my computer, W10 now tries to log me in on a new account on startup. (It enters a wrong password or something.) The user doesn't show up in Family & other people under Accounts so I have no idea where to delete the thing. What's up?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

dont be mean to me posted:

Wait, why only on manual restarts?

Nah, it already exists.

I feel that Linux is on the opposite spectrum of the restart problem. It's too hard to when and what to restart, yet Linux has about as much need restarts as Windows. The problem is that any updates can be installed without an issue, but my understanding they will become effective until the processes using the involved files are restarted.

I run Ubuntu 16.04 at work with Unattended Upgrades installing updates daily at the background. And pretty much the only way I notice this happens when Firefox occasionally gives me a popup requesting restart. I don't think I've even seen any restart notification for kernel updates. So I would need to regularly check what has been updated and then try to figure out what needs to restart. Firefox updates, Firefox requires restart. Apache updates, httpd requires restart. OpenSSL updates, every client and service using it requires restart. And just now fresh Glibc security updates are in the wild, so I assume pretty much every process needs a restart, starting from init or systemd. So practically it's a reboot.

Someone mentioned that if you use software from the distro repositories the system can know what needs a restart, but I've never witnessed something like this. I'm administering hundred of RHEL and some Ubuntu servers, and especially when you use software from the RHEL main repos nothing ever restarts automatically. You need to install the updates and then find out anything that requires restart and do it manually.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Saukkis posted:

I feel that Linux is on the opposite spectrum of the restart problem. It's too hard to when and what to restart, yet Linux has about as much need restarts as Windows. The problem is that any updates can be installed without an issue, but my understanding they will become effective until the processes using the involved files are restarted.

I run Ubuntu 16.04 at work with Unattended Upgrades installing updates daily at the background. And pretty much the only way I notice this happens when Firefox occasionally gives me a popup requesting restart. I don't think I've even seen any restart notification for kernel updates. So I would need to regularly check what has been updated and then try to figure out what needs to restart. Firefox updates, Firefox requires restart. Apache updates, httpd requires restart. OpenSSL updates, every client and service using it requires restart. And just now fresh Glibc security updates are in the wild, so I assume pretty much every process needs a restart, starting from init or systemd. So practically it's a reboot.

Someone mentioned that if you use software from the distro repositories the system can know what needs a restart, but I've never witnessed something like this. I'm administering hundred of RHEL and some Ubuntu servers, and especially when you use software from the RHEL main repos nothing ever restarts automatically. You need to install the updates and then find out anything that requires restart and do it manually.

Ubuntu's GUI update tool will pop up a notice saying you need to reboot if you need to.

On a CLI box you'll get something like this:

Full system restarts are pretty much only required for updates to the kernel and the init system. Other system services get automatically restarted if they update. Libraries are definitely interesting, those do not get handled automatically.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a Win 10 desktop with two SSD drives. I would like to clone/migrate the OS ssd to the slave ssd which is larger. Then make the slave SSD the main OS hard drive.

I would like to then use the previous smaller OS ssd drive in an old laptop that does have Win 10 installed on a failing mechanical drive. Is this possible and what software do I need or guide to follow to make this painless.

Thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Housh posted:

I have a Win 10 desktop with two SSD drives. I would like to clone/migrate the OS ssd to the slave ssd which is larger. Then make the slave SSD the main OS hard drive.

I would like to then use the previous smaller OS ssd drive in an old laptop that does have Win 10 installed on a failing mechanical drive. Is this possible and what software do I need or guide to follow to make this painless.

Thanks!

Clonezilla to copy the data from the old drive to the new one, then GParted Live to extend the partition to fill the new drive.

Place old drive in to laptop, boot from Windows 10 USB key, format and install fresh.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
At least for the first operation, you can do it all in one tool with Macrium Reflect's free edition. Queue up the partition copies one by one and after you drag over the system partition which is getting enlarged to fill the new drive, just resize it to fit. Don't just tell it to clone the drive or the partitions will be the same size and you'll have a big chunk of free space at the end. Once the clone is done you should be able to replace the old drive with the new one in your EFI boot order and, once the new drive boots, you can format the old one for whatever new purpose it will have.

For the old laptop, it might be possible to clone to a smaller drive but honestly as wolrah says I'd just dump the contents of the old drive onto something safe ASAP if there's anything you need to rescue, then start fresh instead of trying to rescue an install from a failing drive.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 28, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

This might sound stupid but when I swap the physical position of the cloned SSDs will it be called the C drive?

Does this look right?

Housh fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 28, 2017

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

No, but you can change the drive letter manually.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I did the clone but the System Reserved partition was given a drive letter. Is this going to cause for an issue when I boot using the new drive? Did I make a mistake? WTF is the system reserved partition anyways

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
It won't cause an issue. Drive letters don't mean a thing to the BIOS, only to the currently running Windows environment.

The System Reserved partition is were the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) and Boot Manager hang out. When booting, the boot manager is run first, then it will load up Windows. If you have multiple Windows installations, this allows you to choose which one to boot into. It's on it's own partition because if you decide to encrypt your Windows partition with something like Bitlocker, these files will remain unencrypted (which is good, otherwise you wouldn't be able to boot into Windows!!)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Never mind....it automatically resigned it to C and works perfectly. poo poo I haven't used PCs in a long time. This went smoother than I expected.

Housh fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 29, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The partition that has the currently running Windows OS will always be C. If you boot from your old drive, that windows partition will be C, and your new drive will be E and F. When you boot from your new drive, your new windows partition will be C, and your old drive will be E and F.

When you assign a drive letter to a partition, you're not actually modifying that partition in any sort of way.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Uh....so I just booted up the laptop with the SSD from my desktop and it booted Windows 10 fine. How does that even work with my cd key? Is it going to ask to activate?

I was planning on using the laptop's Windows 10 Home key but wtf.....I guess I don't have to fresh install windows now?

edit: I'm just going to clean install and put in the proper key. Everything has gone goofy but impressive it boots up.

Housh fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 29, 2017

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Housh posted:

Uh....so I just booted up the laptop with the SSD from my desktop and it booted Windows 10 fine. How does that even work with my cd key? Is it going to ask to activate?

I was planning on using the laptop's Windows 10 Home key but wtf.....I guess I don't have to fresh install windows now?

So, technically, you're in violation of the license agreement. As you can see, the Microsoft gestapo has yet to beat down your door. But yeah, it's something you will want to make right sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing that tying licenses to MS accounts is part of their anti-piracy strategy for the future, but right now I think they're more focused on getting people off of 8-15+ year old versions of Windows.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Housh posted:

edit: I'm just going to clean install and put in the proper key. Everything has gone goofy but impressive it boots up.
Since your laptop previously had Windows 10 installed on it it will already have a hardware profile key stored in the BIOS and that's more than likely just transferred to the new SSD.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the process is that Windows booted up and said "wait a minute, this isn't the right computer (motherboard specifically)..." then called home to an MS server to find out that the laptop had a valid license anyway so no problem.

Booting an installation of Windows from one computer in another hasn't been an issue for a while in my experience, at least since Windows 7, as long as architecture and AHCI/IDE mode matches.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BrainDance posted:

For what it matters this problem went away with an update to build 16232.

It wasn't listed as anything in the release notes, and since someone else had it on an earlier build but I didn't then, and then I got it later in a different build I'm guessing it wasn't something that was "fixed" in one build or another. Maybe it was just something that gets resolved randomly (or caused randomly) in the build update process. Who knows? Hope it doesn't come back!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Did anyone on the fast track Insider build have their machine take ages to update to build 16232? Usually it takes about 20 minutes to install and reboot after it's downloaded the new build, but this one took over an hour before it let me reboot. No performance problems other than that though.

Edit: Also, in the last few builds (this may be in the 1703 release too), my Night light doesn't turn itself off after the anointed hour, it stays on til I turn it off manually. Anyone else with this poo poo?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Do you have it set for sunset -> sunrise, or specific hours? I have it set on the former and haven't had any issue with it not turning off, version 1703. (It just did half an hour ago!)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Did anyone on the fast track Insider build have their machine take ages to update to build 16232? Usually it takes about 20 minutes to install and reboot after it's downloaded the new build, but this one took over an hour before it let me reboot. No performance problems other than that though.

Edit: Also, in the last few builds (this may be in the 1703 release too), my Night light doesn't turn itself off after the anointed hour, it stays on til I turn it off manually. Anyone else with this poo poo?

I noticed it took a long time installing the update while I was still in Windows Update. I didn't even know "installing update" (or some variation of that, the update is long passed and I didn't take screenshots or anything) even was a step in the update process before the first reboot until now. It slowed down drastically once it hit around 75% or so. It didn't overall take much longer in the end though, because after the reboot and going into the install it seemed like it went faster than normal. Maybe they do more before rebooting now to try to solve a lot of the "hangs on xx%" bugs people get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Quick question-

I had gotten the free upgrade to windows 10, but after the free upgrade window passed, my hdd died and I reinstalled from my win7 installation dvd. I've been running win7 for a few months now, and while it's actually rather nice, I now want to see if I can get windows 10 again (it has better support for vr). At this point, do I have to purchase windows 10, or since I had it before, is there any way to get it back for free?