Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I said Beefy Lad, not Tebow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

iospace posted:

I said Beefy Lad, not Tebow.

*Monkey Paw finger curls down*

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
N:
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/879116958691598336

V: :unsmith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

Fiers' FIP is almost exactly twice Archer's :lol:

That's what happens when you give up a whole whole mess of homers

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

ragle posted:

Justin Upton's contract runs through 2021 at $22m/yr but he can opt out this summer. He's 29yo hitting .268/.354/.496 is he likely to opt out?

Tigers have the worst record in the AL, might as well trade assets and tank

If Upton was a free agent at the end of this year, could he really do better than the 4/$88m he already has guaranteed? I don't think I see him opting out, he'd be risking too much just to add another couple million to his AAV.

Tigers need to sell and sell quickly before somebody gets injured. JD hitting the DL for an extended period would be an absolute disaster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:rip: Rockies

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

here is a random bo jackson highlight i just saw and wanted to share with my baseball buddies in SAS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4CHqb-CHJI

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

R.D. Mangles posted:

here is a random bo jackson highlight i just saw and wanted to share with my baseball buddies in SAS

Bo, Ellis Burks and Tim Raines in the outfield, that's awesome.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like to think Marisnick-Springer-Reddick is better :getin:

(defensively)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how is fisher in the field?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

how is fisher in the field?

I don't know much about Fisher defensively but when you play half your games in MMP, eh who cares as long as you're not a total stiff

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Anyone's an improvement over Preston Tucker in the field.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Intruder posted:

I like to think Marisnick-Springer-Reddick is better :getin:

(defensively)

Trout Bourjos Hunter was an insane outfield defensively.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

who is that woman who asks two questions halfway through? what a loving terrible person

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I wish Bo had never played football. :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He was way better at football though

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Intruder posted:

He was way better at football though

Yeah, but he was more fun to watch as a baseball player.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Tim Te-Bo Jackson.

The poor man's Bo Jackson.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Bo Jackson and Randy Moss are like the only athletes that the more I learn of their past, the more I like them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

poly and open-minded posted:

Bo Jackson and Randy Moss are like the only athletes that the more I learn of their past, the more I like them.

Randy Moss was really only hindered by knowing that he had a strong chance to be the best WR that ever lived.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Tim Te-Bo Jackson.

The poor man's Bo Jackson.

Jerry Rice was discovered because his vice principal chased him down after some skylarking and noticed how fast he was so convinced him to join the football team

Why the gently caress wasn't that vice principal in the NFL? Who is this man?

e: meant to quote this, don't want to erase the mistake

poly and open-minded posted:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Why yes, Youtube, I would like to spend the rest of my evening watching bo jackson highlights :getin:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/grayjustin/status/879331092150571008

https://twitter.com/rosscavittwsb/status/879330660657242113

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

Also this probably seals the avatar bet win for bewbies, unless Danny Duffy can inflate his FIP above 4.68 by year's end.

That sucks man, you never want to win like this. I saw Urias pitch a few times in OKC and he was super fun to watch.

Also I am embarrassed to admit that the combination of bad self effacing humor and enthusiasm for baseball has led me to enjoy Rex Hudler as a commentator.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Russell to the DL, presumably as a time out to think about what he's done

Really looking forward to more Tommy "Worse Than Lester At Throwing To First" La Stella in the infield.

(We brought up Candelario so we'll probably see Rizzo/Happ/Javy/Candy as the primary IF)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This man should be the Grand Marshal of the All-Star Game.

Also the All-Star Game should have a Grand Mashal.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

This "Cobb County Braves" poo poo annoys the hell out of me. They weren't the Fulton County Braves before and they're still in Atlanta. The deal the Braves had with Fulton county was garbage and Cobb county offered a better one.

Yeah I'm salty about it what of it?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Russell to the DL, presumably as a time out to think about what he's done

Really looking forward to more Tommy "Worse Than Lester At Throwing To First" La Stella in the infield.

(We brought up Candelario so we'll probably see Rizzo/Happ/Javy/Candy as the primary IF)

So that's Russell, Heyward, Zobrist, Hendricks, and Anderson all on the DL? :psyduck:

Makes me realize how fortunate the Cubs were last year to have relatively few DL stints, with the exception of Schwarber being gone all season, but that might have actually been a blessing in disguise.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
how the gently caress can a balk be called if the batter calls for time? I'm pretty sure John Farrell got ejected for rightfully arguing with a dipshit ump

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Joey Freshwater posted:

This "Cobb County Braves" poo poo annoys the hell out of me. They weren't the Fulton County Braves before and they're still in Atlanta. The deal the Braves had with Fulton county was garbage and Cobb county offered a better one.

Yeah I'm salty about it what of it?

wasnt the whole thing that their mostly white suburban fanbase didnt want to get so close to the "dangerous" parts of atlanta to attend games so they fled to cobb county without so much as planning adequate parking for the stadium?

if the Brewers moved to Brookfield suddenly they'd still technically be in the Milwaukee metro but people would make a big deal of that too.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

wasnt the whole thing that their mostly white suburban fanbase didnt want to get so close to the "dangerous" parts of atlanta to attend games so they fled to cobb county without so much as planning adequate parking for the stadium?

if the Brewers moved to Brookfield suddenly they'd still technically be in the Milwaukee metro but people would make a big deal of that too.

lol no. well I mean I'm sure that was a small part of it but there was a handful of other reasons for it as well.

The stadium was originally built for the olympics then Fulton County let the Braves move in. FC made all kinds of promises about cleaning up the area and bringing business around the stadium. ~20 years later (holy poo poo) and none of that happened. It wasn't so much that it was dangerous it's that there was fuckall to do around the stadium. Not even that there's places to go that suck, there's just literally no where to go. There's nothing.

Fulton County also owned the parking lots around the stadium and the Braves got none of that money. Same with a large portion of concessions - it was pretty split on what kind of cut the Braves got. Public transportation was a pain in the rear end too - you take the train to Underground Atlanta which is also a garbage area and then take a bus over to the stadium. When you're trying to leave you have to wait with a shitload of other people for the buses to take you back and it took maybe an hour just to get back to the train station to take you back to whichever station you parked at/Ubered to.

Braves looked at a heat map of season ticket holders and put the stadium right in the middle of it. Cobb County built the area around the stadium with bars and restaurants and actual poo poo to do before/after the games. I personally haven't been to see it now that I live in Chicago but everything I've heard has been good reviews.

People act like Turner field had it's poo poo together and this new stadium is a mess, but it's the other way around.

Granted, there's no real public transportation to the new stadium but it's not like TF had a great service either. Haven't heard anything about issues with parking. Traffic is an issue but that's Atlanta.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 26, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol no. well I mean I'm sure that was a small part of it but there was a handful of other reasons for it as well.

The stadium was originally built for the olympics then Fulton County let the Braves move in. FC made all kinds of promises about cleaning up the area and bringing business around the stadium. ~20 years later (holy poo poo) and none of that happened. It wasn't so much that it was dangerous it's that there was fuckall to do around the stadium. Not even that there's places to go that suck, there's just literally no where to go. There's nothing.

Fulton County also owned the parking lots around the stadium and the Braves got none of that money. Same with a large portion of concessions - it was pretty split on what kind of cut the Braves got. Public transportation was a pain in the rear end too - you take the train to Underground Atlanta which is also a garbage area and then take a bus over to the stadium. When you're trying to leave you have to wait with a shitload of other people for the buses to take you back and it took maybe an hour just to get back to the train station to take you back to whichever station you parked at/Ubered to.

Braves looked at a heat map of season ticket holders and put the stadium right in the middle of it. Cobb County built the area around the stadium with bars and restaurants and actual poo poo to do before/after the games. I personally haven't been to see it now that I live in Chicago but everything I've heard has been good reviews.

People act like Turner field had it's poo poo together and this new stadium is a mess, but it's the other way around.

Granted, there's no real public transportation to the new stadium but it's not like TF had a great service either. Haven't heard anything about issues with parking. Traffic is an issue but that's Atlanta.

I think the two big problems are this: 1. taxpayer funded without a vote on the matter, and 2. Dan Snyder style parking situation, which is designed to screw over people.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The solution to a publicly-funded stadium failing to generate any economic benefits for anyone but the owners of the occupying team is definitely not to build another publicly funded stadium in a different place.

Ban all public funding for stadiums.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

2. Dan Snyder style parking situation, which is designed to screw over people.

Expand on this? Only thing I've heard that's an issue for parking is it's not right next to the stadium like it was at Turner, but they did the best with the space they had. It's a pretty dense area where the new stadium is so worst case you might have to walk a little to get to the stadium.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

If the Brewers attempted to build a treehouse in Brookfield it would get voted down because then someone might see a piece of construction equipment. Or one of the construction workers may not be white and the concerned citizenry won't be able to immediately harass them by calling 3 squad cars from the speed traps they're sitting at.

Source: I grew up in Brookfield and worked construction/landscaping in high school and college.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

If the Brewers attempted to build a treehouse in Brookfield it would get voted down because then someone might see a piece of construction equipment. Or one of the construction workers may not be white and the concerned citizenry won't be able to immediately harass them by calling 3 squad cars from the speed traps they're sitting at.

Source: I grew up in Brookfield and worked construction/landscaping in high school and college.

I mean, they built that idiotic "the corners" mall+apartments just fine. I went to college at Carroll. Burn brookfield to the ground imo and take new berlin with it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

The Braves wanted a ton of renovations paid for and some concessions from the city/county. The city said no because, reportedly, "It's not like you have anywhere you can go."

So the Braves made a backroom deal with Cobb County commissioners that kept the Braves in the "city" of Atlanta while moving them to Cobb County. When citizens in Cobb County tried to raise hell, the backers of the project stuffed the open meeting with their own supporters so that there was no time for critics of the project to raise their voice.

Cobb County voters tend to be pretty anti-spending-money-on-stuff so I don't think a measure to fund the stadium would have passed a county-wide vote.

I don't think the location of the new stadium is going to help them much. When you're driving toward the stadium from the city at night, you're going the wrong way during rush hour. The one redeeming quality of traffic to Turner Field was that you were driving into town when most people were driving the other way.

Maybe we are just seeing that the Braves are loving garbage when it comes to working on stadiums. See also: Pearl, Mississippi

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 26, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

I mean, they built that idiotic "the corners" mall+apartments just fine. I went to college at Carroll. Burn brookfield to the ground imo and take new berlin with it.

It's by the highway so they were able to get away with it. The literal plot to Parks and Rec took place when they tried to fill a giant abandoned quarry with some of the I-94 construction material and build a park there. It was defeated because some rear end in a top hat land developer wanted it for himself (and still has not bought it) and claimed that "there would be a dump truck every 30 seconds for weeks".

I think The Corners was literally planned out as taking a chunk of the 3rd Ward, putting an underground parking lot underneath it because lol @ suburbanites walking anywhere, and then putting it in Brookfield so no one has to travel to a "dangerous" area for good restaurants. I went to the Cafe Hollander there and the front of the menu had a big notice on it (which is not present on the menus of the one downtown) that basically said "If you order a craft beer, you're getting it in a craft beer glass, it's going to have some head in the glass because that's how it's loving supposed to be poured and served, no we're not going to top it off so your cheap rear end feels like you got your full money's worth".

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 26, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

tadashi posted:

The Braves wanted a ton of renovations paid for and some concessions from the city/county. The city said no because, reportedly, "It's not like you have anywhere you can go."

So the Braves made a backroom deal with Cobb County commissioners that kept the Braves in the "city" of Atlanta while moving them to Cobb County. When citizens in Cobb County tried to raise hell, the backers of the project stuffed the open meeting with their own supporters so that there was no time for critics of the project to raise their voice.

Cobb County voters tend to be pretty anti-spending-money-on-stuff so I don't think a measure to fund the stadium would have passed a county-wide vote.

I don't think the location of the new stadium is going to help them much. When you're driving toward the stadium from the city at night, you're going the wrong way during rush hour. The one redeeming quality of traffic to Turner Field was that you were driving into town when most people were driving the other way.

Something similar happened when Miller Park was built. The representative for (I believe) Racine county basically committed career suicide by voting to increase the sales tax in his county to fund the stadium. He was also the deciding vote.

However for Miller Park this was good because they cleaned up a huge brown zone in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's by the highway so they were able to get away with it. The literal plot to Parks and Rec took place when they tried to fill a giant abandoned quarry with some of the I-94 construction material and build a park there. It was defeated because some rear end in a top hat land developer wanted it for himself (and still has not bought it) and claimed that "there would be a dump truck every 30 seconds for weeks".

I think The Corners was literally planned out as taking a chunk of the 3rd Ward, putting an underground parking lot underneath it because lol @ suburbanites walking anywhere, and then putting it in Brookfield so no one has to travel to a "dangerous" area for good restaurants. I went to the Cafe Hollander there and the front of the menu had a big notice on it (which is not present on the menus of the one downtown) that basically said "If you order a craft beer, you're getting it in a craft beer glass, it's going to have some head in the glass because that's how it's loving supposed to be poured and served, no we're not going to top it off so your cheap rear end feels like you got your full money's worth".

is the cafe hollander there any good? ive been dragged to the one in madison a couple times and the food did not impress me. the beer selection was good though.

not that i care, im leaving this turd state in a couple weeks. only restaurants left on my farewell tour are a dirt nasty fishfry place and solly's.

• Locked thread