Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
Was so good to see a good old fashion fnatic stomp in the DH final. Shame they didn't the series but it was a pretty good showing.

I wonder whats gonna have to change to get Na'Vi where they should be. Always feels like only 1-2 players show up each map when they really need them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

I'm pretty sure I've seen JW body blocking a smoke at window on mirage like way before everyone noticed device doing it.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Any suggestions for how to practice committing less hard to fights? I've noticed pretty much all my games tend to be a series of duels to the death, when really I often have plenty of time to realize I've not connected and just strafe back behind cover to try again.

E: also what is the current best choice for 2nd round buy on CT after losing round 1? Full eco? Pistol? Armor + pistol?

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 21, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Wingman is the worst

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Any suggestions for how to practice committing less hard to fights? I've noticed pretty much all my games tend to be a series of duels to the death, when really I often have plenty of time to realize I've not connected and just strafe back behind cover to try again.

E: also what is the current best choice for 2nd round buy on CT after losing round 1? Full eco? Pistol? Armor + pistol?

i have no idea how to answer this question except maybe do the thing you think you should be doing but arent?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Quick peeks. Take a step, counterstrafe, fire a burst, step back. Generally don't wide peek unless it is a 1v1 and have good aim.

Honestly just watch all of Steel's videos. They are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW7GwTWw0tQ

I like armor and 57 (and nade if possible), or armor p250 and smoke/flash/kit depending on team. If we lose 2nd, full save 3rd. Depending on map/site/team/money situation, you might want to do a lighter buy 2nd round so you can have a good utility buy once you get rifles. Train+Inferno really need nades, for example.

edit: I don't like full saving 2nd since that's giving them two free rounds with lots of money. If you upgrade a pistol, you have a chance of forcing them to rebuy by killing a smg/rifle, or even winning a round.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 21, 2017

stump collector
May 28, 2007
In league matches i've been buying a single deagle only. I hate having no utility on the gun round. In matchmaking or when i'm feeling confident i'll force buy every time

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

stump collector posted:

In matchmaking or when i'm feeling confident i'll force buy every time

I do this when I've given up. still the fiercest goondeag.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

P250 is a good gun and worth the 300 almost every round imo.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
until you're in the good ranks yea

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
imagine the holocaust but this time its quebec

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
There'd be a lot less cheaters in GO

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEHWxKT7zp0

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Dang, shucks. That first noscope was beautiful.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

DEAGBOY

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

A TURGID FATSO posted:

he's only got a pistol

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I think the meta is switching back to a pretty light buy second round to get full nades on 4th. If you're at lower ranks where it's a spray down at close range 90% of the time though I'd definitely go 5-7 Armor + Helmet. Otherwise, find a sneaky spot and snag a p250, one kill with it pays for itself, and you're really only giving up 1 nade for it if you can't manage a kill.

I wouldn't really think about gun fights in this manner, more often than not if you're in a gun fight someone is going to die at the end of it when you get to higher ranks. You really want to think about things 2 steps before they happen and give yourself as much of an advantage as possible for when you make your peek. The best ways to do this are utility (smokes, flashes), trading (communication), and surprise (map knowledge) all of which are what people call "game sense" and are just going to come with time.

Kwilty fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 23, 2017

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Kwilty posted:

You really want to think about things 2 steps before they happen

this is really the key to dying less; the ability to play out scenarios in your head and make the smart choice in real time, which is difficult to do when you've been staring at a corner for 20 seconds and finally something happens. things like, if someone runs past the angle I'm holding and you don't kill them and they don't kill you do you re-peek them? do you use utility and then re-peek? do you fall back to another position? if so, where? will doing so screw my teammates?

The "correct" answer is NOT always de-committing to the fight, sometimes you SHOULD be in it until either you're dead or the other player is. so the most practical way to get better at decision making is to actually practice various ways of playing situations in-game and seeing how they tend to play out to better understand how to best make the decision. typically, if you're playing a "forward" position (lets say checkers on cache), the correct move is often to disengage if you don't get the kill right away and fall back to another position so that you're not leaving the site open and then have another chance to have an advantage later. so practice doing this repeatedly and and really think about how it impacted your team's chances of winning vs what happens when you stay in the fight. numbers also matter - in some cases, if your team already has an advantage then killing someone on the other team and being traded is a good play. if you're at a numbers disadvantage, then that same play isn't going to be good enough. also remember that if you're playing a more passive position, then a lot of times falling back could actually HURT your chances of winning the round - for example if you're playing B site on dust2 and fall back out of the site quickly then yes you've stayed alive, but you've also given up for free a very difficult site to retake.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wooh NA, wooh!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Cloud9 16-8 over Fnatic and 19-15 over Astralis. Fuuuuuuuuck yes.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Astralis looked shaky as hell today, even against Liquid. C9 was on point and moving onto sites super fast like they didn't even care and it owned.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Rpk, Happy, and Snax bringing it home for the CS players against the COD players in Player Unknowns Battle Grounds. Oh wait wrong thread.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

CoD players without auto aim lawl

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

real dilemma posted:

this is really the key to dying less; the ability to play out scenarios in your head and make the smart choice in real time, which is difficult to do when you've been staring at a corner for 20 seconds and finally something happens. things like, if someone runs past the angle I'm holding and you don't kill them and they don't kill you do you re-peek them? do you use utility and then re-peek? do you fall back to another position? if so, where? will doing so screw my teammates?

The "correct" answer is NOT always de-committing to the fight, sometimes you SHOULD be in it until either you're dead or the other player is. so the most practical way to get better at decision making is to actually practice various ways of playing situations in-game and seeing how they tend to play out to better understand how to best make the decision. typically, if you're playing a "forward" position (lets say checkers on cache), the correct move is often to disengage if you don't get the kill right away and fall back to another position so that you're not leaving the site open and then have another chance to have an advantage later. so practice doing this repeatedly and and really think about how it impacted your team's chances of winning vs what happens when you stay in the fight. numbers also matter - in some cases, if your team already has an advantage then killing someone on the other team and being traded is a good play. if you're at a numbers disadvantage, then that same play isn't going to be good enough. also remember that if you're playing a more passive position, then a lot of times falling back could actually HURT your chances of winning the round - for example if you're playing B site on dust2 and fall back out of the site quickly then yes you've stayed alive, but you've also given up for free a very difficult site to retake.

This and Kwilty's writeups are Good Posts to help think through what game sense really means. Thanks guys. You'd be an asset to my ESEA team :P

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
same

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Thanks for the thoughts! Those are really helpful ways to think about breaking things down.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yea quilt Mr pink will make you a star

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Liquids setup on b site on round 19 was so stupid and lovely that they promptly lost out

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

I hope c9 make it to the final :shobon:

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Holy crap, C9 on 15 rounds let faze win 9 straight to bring it to OT.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

jerman999 posted:

Holy crap, C9 on 15 rounds let faze win 9 straight to bring it to OT.

It shouldn't surprise anyone when an NA team chokes away huge amounts of rounds on match point. It's practically their strategy at this point.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Cloud9 blow 13 straight rounds to lose 15-19 to Faze. Holy Liquid.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Did anyone watch the final yesterday? I saw only the first map, but the scorelines suggest the other two maps might been real exciting.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Smol posted:

Did anyone watch the final yesterday? I saw only the first map, but the scorelines suggest the other two maps might been real exciting.

It was great.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The finals and the Astralis semifinals were both incredible. Three of the top teams slugging it out was a great major preview.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I hate my rank

Like 90% of my games end like this, where I'm unable to carry my team to victory but I'm the top contributor. The only way to get out of this is to play with friends, if I had any. Solo queuing is hell.

We had a 14 year old that wouldn't stop screaming the N word.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 27, 2017

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

looks like a close game. glad to see the ranking system working as intended

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

You're a good guy Pink and you get poo poo on way more than you deserve

Keep at it and grind it out

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

I hate my rank

Like 90% of my games end like this, where I'm unable to carry my team to victory but I'm the top contributor. The only way to get out of this is to play with friends, if I had any. Solo queuing is hell.

We had a 14 year old that wouldn't stop screaming the N word.

idk maybe dont join 3stacks and squeal and scream at the people to "start already" when they are waiting for their 5th

maybe then you'll have friends 2 play with.

edit: inb4 "OMG IM SORRY IVE CHANGED AND MATURED"

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 27, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Famethrowa posted:

idk maybe dont join 3stacks and squeal and scream at the people to "start already" when they are waiting for their 5th

maybe then you'll have friends 2 play with.

edit: inb4 "OMG IM SORRY IVE CHANGED AND MATURED"

Naw I'm still immature, I think it was late at night and I wanted one last game, so I was rushin people. Sorry bout that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

looks like a close game. glad to see the ranking system working as intended