Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The store UI on console and web are atrocious

At least you can use the DS4 with the PS3 though. The DS3 was horrendous

Really interested on this since I have plans on getting a PS3 just to play Demon's Souls and one or two games I got with PS+. Will the DS4 work wireless with the PS3? the DS3 was awful by all acounts (awful triggers and sticks compared to the 360 pad) and the DS4 feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The triggers are OK but I still don't really like the pie crust thumbsticks on the DS4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The DS4 is probably the smoothest controller I've ever handled and feels great in my hands. My only complaint really is that it's easy to fat finger the left analog stick when you're trying to use the D-Pad only.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The programmable touchpad is great on pc too. Always something useful even if occasionally it's just a quicksave button. Underutilized by virtually all developers on the actual PS4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Until Dawn did some clever things with the touchpad + motion controls but yeah it's otherwise way underutilized for the potential.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guillermus posted:

Really interested on this since I have plans on getting a PS3 just to play Demon's Souls and one or two games I got with PS+. Will the DS4 work wireless with the PS3? the DS3 was awful by all acounts (awful triggers and sticks compared to the 360 pad) and the DS4 feels great.

Yeah the DS3 feels much worse than the DS4, which I also don't particularly like. How would I use the 4 on the PS3?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah the DS3 feels much worse than the DS4, which I also don't particularly like. How would I use the 4 on the PS3?

plug it in via usb, or do the generic Bluetooth pairing the ds4 supports (google it) and it will be detected as a pluginplay controller for the ps3. something it actually supported. That said there are some caveats. the PSButton doesn't work I believe so you need a ps3 controller to exit games. Also no analog on the triggers means any game that actually used analog mode will not detect presses. oddly enough games that used R2 and L2 as just buttons can detect them. So driving games are right out.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I had to get used to the ps4 controller for Guilty Gear XRD. I had trouble with ↓↘ → ↙↓← inputs. the dpad was a little bit different than the DS3. Got used to it now though.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The best use of the DS4 are the spraypaint cans in infamous.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I always get a kick out of the DS4 making noises when I play games. I am never expecting it, but I love it!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

I always get a kick out of the DS4 making noises when I play games. I am never expecting it, but I love it!
I'm usually wearing headphones and don't hear it, in what few games use it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm usually wearing headphones, but bought Stikbold to play with my kid the other day and we're both getting a kick out of the various character noises coming from the controllers.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I like the cops radio in GTA. And the lights going along with the siren.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Some games. I don't remember which, had ingame tapes you could find and the sound of the tapes would come from the dualshock.

I thought that that was pretty neat

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's nice when the controller gives you audio alerts that your eye might not catch, like in Injustice 2 when you get a bar of meter.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
hey muchachos and muchachas, it's time for me to reup on my Plus

any good deals out there or is Amazon still my best bet with its whopping $5 off?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

KingSlime posted:

hey muchachos and muchachas, it's time for me to reup on my Plus

any good deals out there or is Amazon still my best bet with its whopping $5 off?

You just missed a deal on it from the Playstation Store. 10 bucks off.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sefal posted:

Some games. I don't remember which, had ingame tapes you could find and the sound of the tapes would come from the dualshock.

I thought that that was pretty neat

I'm pretty sure that Killzone does that. Because I got it with my PS4 and forgot that the controller had a speaker and drat near had a heart attack when i collected an audiolog and my hands started whispering to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm usually wearing headphones and don't hear it, in what few games use it.

Well using headphones turns off the speaker function, unless that's what you're saying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Transistor can pipe the voice of the sword through your controller, but I had to switch it back to TV speakers because it was too quiet and much harder to understand.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Probably going to be several days before Elite Dangerous PS4 gets a review as Rev. Copies didn't go out until such time as the servers went live. I still can't decide if this is the game for me or not. I get that you do everything manually. Docking, flying, not running into docking bays, etc... but I just can't tell if it is PUNISHINGLY simmy and difficult, or Simmy but super fun and good-feeling to fly and fight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Transistor can pipe the voice of the sword through your controller, but I had to switch it back to TV speakers because it was too quiet and much harder to understand.

I'm not saying this will fix it, but you can adjust the volume of the controller speaker in settings.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elite dangerous is no VR no buy for me.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Feenix posted:

Probably going to be several days before Elite Dangerous PS4 gets a review as Rev. Copies didn't go out until such time as the servers went live. I still can't decide if this is the game for me or not. I get that you do everything manually. Docking, flying, not running into docking bays, etc... but I just can't tell if it is PUNISHINGLY simmy and difficult, or Simmy but super fun and good-feeling to fly and fight.

From when I played it wasn't TOO simmy. The ratio between doing cool ship stuff and futzing about in menus was approximately 70/30, and the sim-side of flying was mostly restricted to docking procedures (just fly over the designated parking spot) and sometimes getting stuck in space if you ran out of fuel.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The speaker in the controller is kinda garbage and I turn it off/switch it to TV if a game gives me the option.

Like the dispatch radio in GTA 5...sounds like complete rear end over the controller speaker.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Verisimilidude posted:

From when I played it wasn't TOO simmy. The ratio between doing cool ship stuff and futzing about in menus was approximately 70/30, and the sim-side of flying was mostly restricted to docking procedures (just fly over the designated parking spot) and sometimes getting stuck in space if you ran out of fuel.

This is good to know. Thank you!

I know the gameplay loop now essentially... learn the ropes, have a little trouble as you come to grips with the controls... and then explore, mine, hunt bounties.

Does the flying feel... fun? Or is it like: point in direction, hit space-gas-pedal. Wait 10 minutes. Zzzzzz.?

Does the shooting feel good? Are there interesting weapons? Combat is ok? Great? Terrible?

Mining: I imagine this is fairly rote. I am sure it is tedious by design. But it's ok, overall?

I like getting sucked into games that are expansive. I like working to get better poo poo. I don't mind putting in the time. I just want to make sure it's not like, EVE SPREADSHEETS but with a thin veneer of graphical front end and some light interaction...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so I loved the PS2 action platforming genre but even on sale for $8 I'm still holding off on Ratchet & Clank. I feel like it has to hit sub $5 this year.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so I loved the PS2 action platforming genre but even on sale for $8 I'm still holding off on Ratchet & Clank. I feel like it has to hit sub $5 this year.
The game is great and looks amazing. It's easily worth that price.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

You should definitely do this btw, especially if you've never played Demon's Souls but have played some of the others in the series. It's a great game that I just finished replaying for the first time since 2012 and it's still great, if brief.

About using the DS4, though - I've done that before, but for DS I just used the DS3 instead of faffing with the 4 because you still need the 3 around to turn the console off (the console itself is inside a cabinet that it's a hassle to get to.) It's not that bad a controller.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Akuma posted:

You should definitely do this btw, especially if you've never played Demon's Souls but have played some of the others in the series. It's a great game that I just finished replaying for the first time since 2012 and it's still great, if brief.

About using the DS4, though - I've done that before, but for DS I just used the DS3 instead of faffing with the 4 because you still need the 3 around to turn the console off (the console itself is inside a cabinet that it's a hassle to get to.) It's not that bad a controller.

I'm a souls (and BB) fan. I started playing DS1 on PC, then on xbox360 to help friends, then went DS2/3 on PC and BB on my PS4. I can get an used (with warranty too!) PS3 on Game for like 70€ (320gb slim unit) wich is nice. I may just grab a 2nd hand DS3 too and get with it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Bust Rodd posted:

You're going to wait god knows how long over like, four dollars? Unless you have a stack of games to play you should buy it, the game rules and you can easily get 2+ play throughs upgrading everything.

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

Guillermus posted:

I'm a souls (and BB) fan. I started playing DS1 on PC, then on xbox360 to help friends, then went DS2/3 on PC and BB on my PS4. I can get an used (with warranty too!) PS3 on Game for like 70€ (320gb slim unit) wich is nice. I may just grab a 2nd hand DS3 too and get with it.

I bought a secondhand PS3 off of eBay two months ago to play Demon's Souls, since I only just got gud enough to play through these games last year and don't listen to anyone who says the Dualshock 3 is fine. You'll need one in order to properly operate the system but Demon's works perfectly with a DS4 and is much more comfortable.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is that Attack on Titan game?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PS3 talk: would recommend buying a cheap one while you can, they're not in production anymore so pick one up while you can.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Twibbit posted:

Also no analog on the triggers means any game that actually used analog mode will not detect presses. oddly enough games that used R2 and L2 as just buttons can detect them. So driving games are right out.
the ds4 triggers are analog arent they? pretty sure you are thinking of the face buttons which used to be analog

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PSN SUMMER MID YEAR SALE

Shadow of Mordor GOTY $4

Ratchet and Clank $8

FO4 $20

ACIV Black flag $12

Knack $5

(these are PS+ prices, don't know how different regular prices are)

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Going back to the backward compatibility chat from before, what's the best way to play God Hand these days? I have a ps3, ps4, vita and a PC.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Parenting posted:

Going back to the backward compatibility chat from before, what's the best way to play God Hand these days? I have a ps3, ps4, vita and a PC.

Ps3 is the only thing there that plays the ps2 game

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I wonder if 5 dollar Knack is worth it. I don't even mean like, oh heh Knack sucks. But like, if I'd get a bit of a kick out of it.

I should probably wait, the only sweeter Knack would be free Knack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

I wonder if 5 dollar Knack is worth it. I don't even mean like, oh heh Knack sucks. But like, if I'd get a bit of a kick out of it.

I should probably wait, the only sweeter Knack would be free Knack.

Knack 2 is gonna make it obsolete. Just wait for that to be 6 dollars in 2019