Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You Am I posted:

I don't think Max has any mechanical sympathy for his cars, taking a guess. He just goes flat out and wonders why it blows up

Isn't that the point of racing though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
No

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Sounds like Max was the kid who ran his kart over the curb because it was a tenth quicker even though it meant he'd eat a chain every 15 laps.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

Isn't that the point of racing though?

Not at all.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Vettel really should have won that race. Oh well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I wish I had a link to it but I heard or read a mechanic's story who worked for Jim Clark. He talked about how at some race a few laps in, Clark was leading, and then at the one turn where the mechanic was watching, he noticed Clark coming around the turn with his engine dead. The mechanic thought it had just blown up and the race was over. But then the next lap, Clark came around again, still in the lead, with his engine still dead. It continued like that and I think Clark won the race. The mechanic didn't find out what was going on until after where Clark said he noticed the oil pressure gauge was dropping out in that one corner so he just killed the engine in that corner and bump started it at the exit and drove the rest of the track normally until the race was done. Suck on that, frog face.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have been so petulant.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Human Grand Prix posted:

He did

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

djssniper posted:

You just know that if Alonso leaves McLaren, that Honda engine becomes gold, he's pretty much BLA for the last 10 years as far as championships goes, he should be a 4 time champ

Funny you mention that, this is actually discussed within the first chapter of the Total Competition book; Nando should be a 5x WDC currently.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I think the stat is something insane like he's 7 points away from being a 5x WDC.

E: If he makes the McLaren come good and wins a third WDC I don't see how he'd be viewed as anything other than an all time great. Maybe it diminishes 20 years from now when people just look at the stats, but it's hard to not watch 2012 and think that he was in a class of his own and let down by the car.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 28, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alonso betrayed Scuderia Ferrari, he will never be champion again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

Alonso betrayed Scuderia Ferrari, he will never be champion again.

:wrong:

He's the champion of our hearts.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

1500quidporsche posted:

I think the stat is something insane like he's 7 points away from being a 5x WDC.

So's Lewis.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Alain Prost is like a handful of points from being an 8x WDC too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Seb, on the other hand.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Seb, on the other hand.

Will break Schumacher record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtw7cY1GiM4

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Alain Prost is like a handful of points from being an 8x WDC too.

'82,'83,'88, '90?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vettel's four titles might well be the greatest overachievement in the history of sport.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

Vettel's four titles might well be the greatest overachievement in the history of sport.

Maldonado and Frogman wins, Stroll podium.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine a terryfying alternate universe where Nigel Mansell won the WDC 5x.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

Maldonado and Frogman wins, Stroll podium.

Maldonado's win owned.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Human Grand Prix posted:

Imagine a terryfying alternate universe where Nigel Mansell won the WDC 5x.

Terrifyingly awesome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Especially considering how often Vettel's strategy was just "use qualifying mode no one else has, build 10 second gap while Webber barely holds on to second, poodle around for 90 minutes and win", those have to be some of the least deserved championships.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Especially considering how often Vettel's strategy was just "use qualifying mode no one else has, build 10 second gap while Webber barely holds on to second, poodle around for 90 minutes and win", those have to be some of the least deserved championships.

The Mansell robot car win was less deserved.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Also the last three Mercedes championships in a nutshell. At least last year had some sort of drama involved.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Literally the only reason I even root for Hamilton anymore is so he'll tie Vettel. And to prevent Vettel from winning a fifth, god help us all. Imagine a world in which Vettel has more titles than Prost and try not to end it all.

iospace posted:

Also the last three Mercedes championships in a nutshell. At least last year had some sort of drama involved.

Hamilton at least had a semi-capable teammate to beat. And it's less annoying to me that the Mercedes car is simply dominant, whereas the Red Bull was just leaning on engine mappings half the time.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

The only time Lewis had a competitive partner...he lost

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

The only time Lewis had a competitive partner...he lost

No, he beat Heikki.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Literally the only reason I even root for Hamilton anymore is so he'll tie Vettel. And to prevent Vettel from winning a fifth, god help us all. Imagine a world in which Vettel has more titles than Prost and try not to end it all.

Its just a number on a paper, I don't rate Seb particularly high but he's extremely likable at Ferrari as opposed to Lewis "The Cock" Hamilton so I'll cheer for him. I don't think anybody in their right mind would say anything other than "the car won him his first four titles".

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

No, he beat Heikki.

I dont undertand that reference

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Its just a number on a paper, I don't rate Seb particularly high but he's extremely likable at Ferrari as opposed to Lewis "The Cock" Hamilton so I'll cheer for him. I don't think anybody in their right mind would say anything other than "the car won him his first four titles".

They're both whiny little shits, Hamilton is considerably more talented and wasn't handed four titles on a silver platter. That's all that matters to me. I mean it's hard not to utterly despise Vettel when they both act so entitled and yet Vettel has earned so little.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Hamilton is considerably more talented and wasn't handed four titles on a silver platter.

sorry what universe are you living in?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

And granted I would probably change my tune on Vettel if he fought it out and won this year, but so far all we're getting is more petulant whining and next-level dumb poo poo like straight up driving into a competitor. He's rapidly becoming F1's Kyle Busch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

sorry what universe are you living in?

This one.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The driving into another driver is great, like something out of the 80s, and it'll teach Hamilton not to gently caress with him in the future. If Nico had done this sort of poo poo in 2014 he would've had a lot easier time getting that WDC.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

And granted I would probably change my tune on Vettel if he fought it out and won this year, but so far all we're getting is more petulant whining and next-level dumb poo poo like straight up driving into a competitor. He's rapidly becoming F1's Kyle Busch.

im going to kick your rear end

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The driving into another driver is great, like something out of the 80s, and it'll teach Hamilton not to gently caress with him in the future. If Nico had done this sort of poo poo in 2014 he would've had a lot easier time getting that WDC.

What Vettel did is literally indefensible. Easily the most childish poo poo I've ever seen in F1. I hope the Monaco harbor hurts his widdle feelings next time and he swerves into that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's not loving NASCAR, jesus. Act like a god drat grown up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Driving into another driver is cool and good, as long as it's my driver doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
He gave him a little love tap, you can practically put another driver into a wall and have it called a racing incident now, but Seb took the ten second penalty on the chin and finished ahead so all is well.

• Locked thread