Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hahaha, holy poo poo. :suicide:

First time in Hokkaido ( been waiting for Season 2 before I finish up the last two levels/been a bit busy ), which made me assume I'd fail it. But hey, the only suits I don't have yet are White Yukata and Winter Suit, and this'll be the last Hokkaido ET potentially.

Spend a solid 15 minutes dicking around the level exploring. Become a bunch of security guards by just walking into the security booth. Wander over to the pilot and become him. Wander over the whole of the medical building looking for the directors office before I realize I need a key. As I'm wandering back out across the courtyard I get the tell. The guy is nosejob guy. As Diana says this, nosejob guy walks past me to the balcony where he is completely alone. I run on over and flip him over the ledge. Silent Assassin here I come.

Try to figure out how I'm going to leave, as I don't want to walk back through the medical building since so many guys in there could notice me, but can't go back through commons area because pilot can't go there. I figure I'll take the pipe down from the balcony into the staff area and pick up the shower suit again then walk out.

Do so, grab the suit, think I'm a genius that's finally got his second SA in the strangest way.

Shower guy turns around for the first time in the 10 or so times I grabbed his suit testing the level, exclaims WHAT THE gently caress THAT'S MY SUIT and gets into combat with me.

I cold cock him, throw him in the hamper and leave. Nobody noticed our shower brawl, but my SA!!

Oh well. I assume they'll just jump the SA range to 7/10 for Season 2, and that's doable if I actually start learning levels better with Season 2 out. I'm just happy I got all the core suit unlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Shower guy turns around for the first time in the 10 or so times I grabbed his suit testing the level, exclaims WHAT THE gently caress THAT'S MY SUIT and gets into combat with me.

lol does he actually yell that

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

where the red fern gropes posted:

(why does he have a headband?)

Good question, he's there for otoplasty.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lol second time I got away by being fast on the draw restarting, someone saw me when I hit him with the poison syringe in the sauna. I've been starting surgeon then going to morgue for RFID/cameras, then go to directors office to find the target, then get them wherever. I think I might change to start anywhere, knock out director, then go do everything else so I don't need a scrambler for the RFID and can bring a poison vial too. I wish this game had a 'check LOS' ability or something, I tried drawing a pistol and no one noticed but when I poisoned him I got compromised

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Lol second time I got away by being fast on the draw restarting, someone saw me when I hit him with the poison syringe in the sauna. I've been starting surgeon then going to morgue for RFID/cameras, then go to directors office to find the target, then get them wherever. I think I might change to start anywhere, knock out director, then go do everything else so I don't need a scrambler for the RFID and can bring a poison vial too. I wish this game had a 'check LOS' ability or something, I tried drawing a pistol and no one noticed but when I poisoned him I got compromised

it could've been coincidence but it seemed like whichever one was the target would always have a long route in the sauna. i did the surgeon/director/morgue camera thing then grabbed a wrench to clear the balcony and coined him to the cliff.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So what is the advantage of poison syringe? Why use it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's quick, silent, and as long as no one actually sees you doing it, it doesn't count against Silent Assassin.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ChaosArgate posted:

It's quick, silent, and as long as no one actually sees you doing it, it doesn't count against Silent Assassin.
Note: It's seemingly the most visible action in the game.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Just to go into slightly more detail, so long as you can poke the target without being seen it doesn't matter if their body is in the most public location afterwards. Since it's a poison kill the body being found doesn't count against you.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Note: It's seemingly the most visible action in the game.

the different ranges really are hosed up, you can push the ET from the cliff right while Nails is watching from the helicopter, but if you needle he def would scream murder

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

where the red fern gropes posted:

lol does he actually yell that

It was yesterday so I'm probably a bit off, but he says something like "Bathrobe wearing motherfucker, taking things that don't belong to you."

Which didn't fit the situation at all, since I was the pilot at this point.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Started my unsilenced weapons only run and realized that they now actually lock down the targets when one obviously dies, which should make it more interesting.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Didn't have the time to explore very much, so I just got the id and ran over to the restaurant. He was sitting on a couch so I coined him into the stairwell and dropped the lights on him for a quick SA. Was there any new VO for this ET though?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bangkok is the only mission I have yet to 20/20 and... I really don't like it very much? It seems really small and locked down- you've basically got two wings of rooms, one of which is under heavy security and also tons of people that can see through your disguises. Is there something I'm missing?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

StashAugustine posted:

Bangkok is the only mission I have yet to 20/20 and... I really don't like it very much? It seems really small and locked down- you've basically got two wings of rooms, one of which is under heavy security and also tons of people that can see through your disguises. Is there something I'm missing?

Nope, that's Bangkok exactly.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

StashAugustine posted:

Despite people complaining about Colorado, Bangkok is really the worst map.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Just picked this up during the steam sale and it's incredible.

My first successful run on paris had me making viktor sick with his drink while disguised as a waiter and promptly shoving his head into a toilet. I then hid the body and took his bodyguard's uniform to get to the second floor. After switching with one of the auction staff for their uniform for access to the third floor the final target had me doing a dumb cohen brothers-esque plan

1. Lure bodyguard outside to balcony out of view of everyone with the coin.
2. Take his clothes and in a moment of panic about the body, dump it over the balcony where it's found but only alerts the first floor guards.
3. Grab the laptop dongle and the remote mine and set up the remote mine in front of the laptop.
4. Blow up second target and promptly realize that half of the bodyguards are enforcers who can see through my disguise so I can't just walk down the stairs in my disguise.
5. Panic and run back to balcony and climb down the ledge, hoping to find an escape route.
5. Realize I can hijack the helicopter in the back and sneak my way to an escape.

Zikan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 26, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mondian posted:

Didn't have the time to explore very much, so I just got the id and ran over to the restaurant. He was sitting on a couch so I coined him into the stairwell and dropped the lights on him for a quick SA. Was there any new VO for this ET though?

A fair amount. All 3 facial surgery patients are DPRK - equivalent agents, sent to get surgery to look like a KPOP group.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mondian posted:

a few dialogues but nothing funny or interesting

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So what's the difference between the explosives? Seems like breaching charges are weak but quiet, the phone will attract people, the ducks aren't recognized as weapons, the explosive compound is basically a portable propane tank (that doesn't count as an accident), but I'm not really sure what the difference between the mines and the C4 is, or why you'd use them over the ducks.

e: although it seems the mines are needed for some opportunities

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

qbert posted:

Despite people complaining about Colorado, Bangkok is really the worst map.

Jordan Cross is the best target though, with the best murder methods. The worst map is actually Colorado.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The worst map is actually Marrakesh. Bangkok is a bit small and Colorado is flat, but Marrakesh is largely pointless. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it was followed by more concentrated maps.

e: words are hard

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 26, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Marrakesh, Sapienza, and Bangkok are all divided into a small concentrated area where the targets are and a big open area to prep for the hit. Sapienza is the best because the actual area you care about is just about a level in its own right, plus a bunch of space for the town. Marrakesh has the cool marketplace/protest/club area but the actual targets are in the embassy (okay but small) and the school (boring). Bangkok has one target running around the neutral area, but I can't really see any fun ways to get him although I haven't really followed him much yet. Cross is locked down on like two or three floors of the hotel and each floor seems to have at least one guy that can see through your disguise, and that's the really annoying part. Also the neutral area isn't bad but it's not as cool as Sapienza's town or Marrakesh's market.

My personal rankings no one cares about : Paris, Sapienza, Hokkaido, Colorado, Marrakesh, Bangkok, but the only one I don't really like is Bangkok. I also haven't really played it a lot yet so maybe I'll appreciate it more once I explore it. Come to think of it, it could use an alternate layout like A House Built On Sand to put a target in a place you care about but it'd probably be too small

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
How do I gift someone Hitman?

I can't add it to cart because I already own it and you can't buy something as gift until it is in your cart.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

So what's the difference between the explosives? Seems like breaching charges are weak but quiet, the phone will attract people, the ducks aren't recognized as weapons, the explosive compound is basically a portable propane tank (that doesn't count as an accident), but I'm not really sure what the difference between the mines and the C4 is, or why you'd use them over the ducks.

e: although it seems the mines are needed for some opportunities

Yeah, you've pretty much got it. For the most part you'll only use mines for specific opportunities or if you want to stick a bomb to a wall, which ducks can't do. C4 is the same except the explosive radius is twice as big as anything else. Also Napoleon is like a better phone imo. Its inconspicuous, will make noise but doesn't explode until you trigger it, lures people in weird ways other sounds don't, and npcs will ignore it on the ground even if its making noise. It can be annoying when an npc spots your duck/phone and picks it up when you don't want them to or sees your distraction device and runs for a guard immediately.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Breaching Charges generate noise when they go off but it's about as loud as a wet fart. All proximity explosives generate noise when put down or dropped, which you may want to know. If your goal is to leave a trap for someone make sure nobody comes over to check. Note that because they lack a detonator proximity explosives and the Explosive Compound won't shove a Suspicious detonator into your hand on Professional, though any that are already illegal will remain such. I can't recall which explosives are Suspicious on Pro but I know The Big One is so I wouldn't be shocked if things other than ducks, the phone, and maybe Napoleon/Iconator are all Suspicious/Illegal.

Breaching Charges, Mines, and C4 can be placed anywhere, ducks and Napoleon/Iconator/Phone can only be set on the ground or other level surfaces. Ducks can be set off in someone's hand but if a guard picks up certain other explosives (such as Breaching Charges) it will be disarmed. This can be exploited with Breaching Charges to have none on hand but only detonate one. All explosives can be detonated by gunfire. This includes Breaching Charges, so you can set two and only detonate one by shooting it. And yes, this includes shooting the phone!

Explosives can knock down Falling Object kill conditions, sometimes from far away; a duck on a planter under coconuts in the Bangkok lobby can knock them down, and a duck thrown almost anywhere on the stairs to the VIP patient rooms in Hokkaido will knock down the light fixture over the middle landing on the stairs. Demo blocks on the ramp can knock down both light fixtures over the seating areas. Strangely, Breaching Charges will just destroy a speaker if planted on them or on the connection thing; other explosives can knock down a speaker but Breaching Charges cannot. Breaching Charges can launch other explosives, causing them to detonate at whatever point they impact; by combining a phone and BC you can launch the phone at a chandelier and drop it on Viktor.

Nitroglycerin (found on Colorado) is extremely volatile. It explodes on impact when thrown like the Explosive Golf Ball, but it will also explode from in-game physics if the vial is jostled in any way. Place it in the path of an opening door and it will blow. Balance it on a door handle and you'll get a similar effect. Note that throwing it in plain sight tends to get you blamed so it isn't a non-suspicious act in the same way throwing a duck often is. You can also sometimes be blamed when throwing the EGB so it's probably a similar thing. Nitro is not an accident. The Sean Rose opportunity that involves overcharging his explosives is an accident, but it's a special cutscene kill. Thrown or jostled nitro is an Explosive Device and has the same rules as a mine or duck.

Propane always has the same explosive radius, but the detonation radius depends on whether the tank is leaking. When leaking the detonation radius for The Big One is much more generous and the distance from which another explosive can set it off is huge, easily twice the explosion radius (you could probably exploit this to magically kill two people at once and leave a third person standing between them unharmed). It will not detonate from smoking or sparks if it isn't leaking, but if it is leaking you must be extremely careful not to run past any smoking NPCs. Fire Extinguishers can never leak without detonating in seconds, though they can be set off by The Big One if it lands right on top of the FE.

Large standing propane tanks cannot be detonated by secondary propane explosions, but will detonate nearby explosives and each other if they're the ones to blow. Try this on the snail stand in Marrakesh and it'll make more sense; shoot one of the two tanks by the woman vendor and watch as the secondary explosion of two tanks and a bike take out the male vendor and probably a soldier. The reverse generally isn't true. Do note that primary Explosive Device detonations will probably set those off. The gas leaks you can activate in parts of Sapienza are basically immobile propane tanks and have similar risks. The medium-sized propane tanks in the back of the ceramic shop in Sapienza are strictly cosmetic. They can be destroyed by explosives or large-caliber rounds (a pistol couldn't do it but a sniper rifle could), but even though they appear to explode they cannot kill an NPC.

Breaching Charges can set off other explosives (FE/Propane obviously, but most others). If placed on a gasoline tank they will trigger a fire accident even if the tank has not been punctured; they may not actually start the fire if the tank is punctured by a gun but if the tank is punctured with a screwdriver or not punctured at all the BC works fine. BCs and most explosions can also damage power strips to cause them to spark (sometimes the plugs are immune unless the placement is exact), destroy evidence computers, destroy cameras (though BCs often can't be placed high enough), and open safes. The one thing BCs are bad at is setting off car/bike explosions; ducks and guns are much more reliable. BCs can also kill people, though it has to be basically right next to or under them. It is possible to kill a conscious person with a BC by placing it right under their feet, or by sticking it to a wall and detonating it when the person is very close to it. If enough bodies are lumped together on top of or around a BC it will kill them all. BC kills count as Explosive Device kills but are much quieter.

Non-accident explosions can destroy your score if you do not use them correctly. The explosion seems to pulse out from the detonation point and people die in order of distance from the explosion even if in-game they appear to be dying simultaneously. This means that anyone who can see a person who dies "before" them will technically spot the body of that person. To avoid this, make sure everyone is either not looking at each other, are all looking in the same direction and die from an explosion that starts behind the last person in line, or render everyone unconscious before detonating (KO'd people cannot spot bodies, obviously). Note that very loud explosions do not technically void SA any more than firing an unsuppressed gun does. You can kill Jackie Carrington with a Demo Block and as long as you shove her into a laundry hamper before any other NPCs see her and get the hell out of there it won't matter.

Finally, NPCs will consider non-duck explosives to be illegal and spot you if you're carrying them. However, "crowd" NPCs cannot spot you. They will go into panic mode but if there are no real NPCs to spot you it doesn't matter. This is why the flying phone often works in the main entrance and side patio on Paris; there are blind spots where no real NPCs can see you set down a Breaching Charge and if a real NPC doesn't notice the crime it doesn't make a drat bit of difference if the crowd is screaming in terror.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 26, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I love using the duck. There is something incredibly hosed up about a blinking rubber duck packed with explosives that is just so twisted and perfect. If this game had actual gore instead of just silly ragdolls I think it would actually be too grotesque to use.

StashAugustine posted:

Marrakesh, Sapienza, and Bangkok are all divided into a small concentrated area where the targets are and a big open area to prep for the hit. Sapienza is the best because the actual area you care about is just about a level in its own right, plus a bunch of space for the town. Marrakesh has the cool marketplace/protest/club area but the actual targets are in the embassy (okay but small) and the school (boring). Bangkok has one target running around the neutral area, but I can't really see any fun ways to get him although I haven't really followed him much yet. Cross is locked down on like two or three floors of the hotel and each floor seems to have at least one guy that can see through your disguise, and that's the really annoying part. Also the neutral area isn't bad but it's not as cool as Sapienza's town or Marrakesh's market.

My personal rankings no one cares about : Paris, Sapienza, Hokkaido, Colorado, Marrakesh, Bangkok, but the only one I don't really like is Bangkok. I also haven't really played it a lot yet so maybe I'll appreciate it more once I explore it. Come to think of it, it could use an alternate layout like A House Built On Sand to put a target in a place you care about but it'd probably be too small

Paris is probably the best map in the whole series. It's incredibly permeable - suit only runs in Paris are a hell of a lot of fun because of how scalable and easy-to-infiltrate it is. You can sneak around the bodyguards and monkey around the outside like a badass. Sapienza is great too, but I actually like the side mission where you kill the politician more than I like the main one. The mansion itself is less interesting than the town, the square, the church, and the marketplace/town hall. Plus you get to skip the lab part (although now that I know the lab part well enough it's not as big a deal to just shoot the stalagtite and escape via the plane)

Same goes for Marrakesh, although, although I'm coming around to the main one now that I've gotten very good at the game. Originally it was quite jarring to go from the sprawling, open missions of Paris and Sapienza to the less permeable, tighter security military and embassy buildings.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

Nitroglycerin (found on Colorado) is extremely volatile. It explodes on impact when thrown like the Explosive Golf Ball, but it will also explode from in-game physics if the vial is jostled in any way. Place it in the path of an opening door and it will blow. Balance it on a door handle and you'll get a similar effect.

Good breakdown, but I wanna point out that if someone wants to try that bit to feel like a badass, be extremely careful when placing it. It can light up green and allow you to place it on the handle at an angle only to immediately drop to your feet and blow your stupid head off.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Did the ET, another SA. The concept was fun but it was pretty easy figuring out what to do. I could have done it a lot faster had I cared, but I just restarted until I got the right combination of who and where. The best "where" was in the hot springs, after clearing out the guests after turning up the heat, and the "who" wound up being the ear-bandage guy.

Even though I was 100% confident moving in for the kill, there's still a little thrill when committing. Good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

StashAugustine posted:

Started my unsilenced weapons only run and realized that they now actually lock down the targets when one obviously dies, which should make it more interesting.

The best part is that often a target lockdown is exactly what you need to get them right where you want them :getin:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Seriously though please stop making Kurt Donovan and Sebastian Sato targets on Paris and especially double triple super gently caress off about making them both targets. Kurt's AI is legitimately broken and Sato is easy but really tedious.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Theswarms posted:

I can't add it to cart because I already own it and you can't buy something as gift until it is in your cart.

Same issue! I wanna buy this for my friends!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Theswarms posted:

Is this because the prologue pack is free now and everything else counts as dlc maybe?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Good poo poo. Also, I concur.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

One of the little things I really like about the game is how the various staffers on all the levels bitch about how the guys running the place treat them like poo poo. Doing the opportunity where Ken Morgan bitches you out about his room not being spotless up until you drown him in the toilet is cathartic enough to almost redeem Bangkok

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I've been thinking the other day how they went out of their way to make all the targets outright evil or at least unpleasant enough where you won't have to feel bad about offing them, in some cases your actions can almost be seen as heroic.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's funny because compared to BM the targets generally have just enough character depth you feel a bit bad about it, but they're also basically all awful people. I was more commenting on how it shows the life of the guys who make the targets' world run, the waitress having a breakdown in the locker room in Paris, the staff complaining about Cross in Bangkok, and so on

e: also, I'm doing the Mandelbulb Requiem and have absolutely no shame about KOing the bodyguard in my own bodyguard outfit, dragging him to a side room, dropping a breaching charge next to him, then running to change into a palace staff outfit before triggering it. It seems like explosive triggers have unlimited range now?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The fun park boss in Blood Money made me feel so bad right away. There's nothing like that in this one where they are all worthy of post birth abortion.

Is ICA some sort of quasigovernmental organization, or fully private? Or what?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

Is this because the prologue pack is free now and everything else counts as dlc maybe?

I think it's because it's a bundle only now, yeah.

EDIT: It's ungiftable even if you add it to bag without being logged in as "the contents are personalised to your account".

No giving friends the gift of Hitman I guess.

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Theswarms posted:

I think it's because it's a bundle only now, yeah.

EDIT: It's ungiftable even if you add it to bag without being logged in as "the contents are personalised to your account".

No giving friends the gift of Hitman I guess.

You could try getting a key third-party and handing over the key to them directly but yeah, gifting is all hosed up.