Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I've got a hobby that people have died doing, and that many think is unsafe. I don't do it for an adrenaline rush, bragging rights, etc. - and Honnold probably doesn't either. I use everything available to keep safe and be successful, but there are certain times where casting most/all of that aside provides a different, more "connected" experience, so what he did makes complete sense to me.

Dude loves climbing rocks and poo poo - let him climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I believe the last few posters made my point better than I could hope to. It's really amazing.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Helicity posted:

Dude loves climbing rocks and poo poo - let him climb.

But leperfish disagrees on the morally reasonable risk level for someone to take with an activity that in no way endangers anyone but themselves. It's completely reasonable that this difference in opinion about what people do with their own bodies means leperfish needs to enforce his beliefs on others.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pr0zac posted:

enforce his beliefs on others.

this is a lie

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why is this still happening? I've been trying not to probate people, but you're really tempting me.

Stop arguing about whether what Honnold does has any value because of how dangerous it is. He's balanced the "risk v award" in his head and he's decided the reward is greater than the risk. That's all there is to it. You don't get to tell him he's wrong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not really about Honnold, and the point isn't that he's wrong. I'm sorry for the derail: I have a hard time just not defending my own argument from a bunch of people insisting that I'm actually claiming something I'm not. I find that very frustrating. I'll drop it anyway.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
some people climb mountains for no reward, leperflesh starts arguments with no tangible payoff. some things just can't be explained

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I climbed 2 mountains yesterday (really 95% just good steep hikes, but there was some bare rock scrambling near the first peak that I wasn't expecting, and I was pretty happy with how far up I made it all things considered).

I bring this up because I was reminded that I get really bad vertigo when I'm at the tallest point for a while (seriously, being 10' below the summit? not too bad. Getting to the very top? Not as fun!), and I feel sore as poo poo because even though I've covered similar distances/elevation on my mountain bike recently, it's just not the same muscles. Everything is pain today, and I'm hoping to do it again soon. Probably with more appropriate shoes though

P6100014.jpg

P6100088.jpg

Bonus for the thread here: spot the guy hiking in denim overalls with no shirt.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's hilariously hosed up.

The overalls dude, not you. You are cool.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Mountaineering, one more activity that had its roots in apalachian moonshinery. Jimbo there's going up an old family path to check on a still that his family placed on that rock back in seventeen dickety two.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I just watched Man on Wire. Now that's a great movie about a man risking his life unnecessarily.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
The more fit, adventurous and committed men die in these sports, the more women will have to settle for us WOW-playing slugs. :marc:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I climbed a mountain a few years ago, it was pretty fun. Apparently the mountain's killed over 50 people since 1980, which seems high, but we were fine. Probably next time we'll bring more water, we ran out at the top and got real thirsty on the way down.
]

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Is my timeline right? We've gone from, "The Hillary Step is gone," to, "The Hillary Step isn't gone, it's just covered in snow," back to today (yesterday), "The Hillary Step is gone."

http://deadspin.com/everests-most-iconic-pitch-the-hillary-step-is-gone-1796099719

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does that make the climb easier? Looks like it was a vertical climb before and now it's a slope.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

sullat posted:

I climbed a mountain a few years ago, it was pretty fun. Apparently the mountain's killed over 50 people since 1980, which seems high, but we were fine. Probably next time we'll bring more water, we ran out at the top and got real thirsty on the way down.
]

Definitely bring more water, most accidents happen on descent and being dehydrated just makes you stupider than you already are from fatigue.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
http://news10.com/2017/06/21/experienced-hiker-from-catskill-goes-missing-while-climbing-russian-mountain/

He went soloing Mt. Elbrus while his pregnant wife waited at home. Unexpected storm swept in and he never made it back to base camp.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Cymoril posted:

http://news10.com/2017/06/21/experienced-hiker-from-catskill-goes-missing-while-climbing-russian-mountain/

He went soloing Mt. Elbrus while his pregnant wife waited at home. Unexpected storm swept in and he never made it back to base camp.

"Beare’s family has not hired a private search firm and two helicopters to try and find him. They are holding out hope that he is safe and alive somewhere."

. . . that's oddly specific.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paramemetic posted:

"Beare’s family has not hired a private search firm and two helicopters to try and find him. They are holding out hope that he is safe and alive somewhere."

. . . that's oddly specific.

Pretty sure its just a typo, and not=now.

Edit: yeah, there's a link farther down to the page where they're asking for funding for the search effort: http://www.coloradopolicefoundation.org/search-for-steven

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This is from a year ago, can't remember if I saw it before, but it popped up on my Facebook feed, so here.

Why walk up Everest when you can fly instead.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...nt&sf92146640=1

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Is there a word yet for the intense but irrational desire to beat people to death with their selfie sticks?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Is there a word yet for the intense but irrational desire to beat people to death with their selfie sticks?

Nerd hyperbole.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Cartoon posted:

"aging"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cartoon posted:

Come at me

If you can get your dusty rear end up here

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Cartoon posted:

im sure you'll enjoy this then

http://i.imgur.com/Ny1Oh49.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cartoon posted:

I'm pretty sure "paragliding over the 13th tallest mountain in the world, while simultaneously smashing previous paragliding attempts" is the most appropriate time to use a selfie stick.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Nearly all photos with people in them are in some way selfies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A photo of someone else is a youie.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Joe Rogan recently had Jake B Evans and Bud Brutsman on his podcast and they get into Everest rescue missions a bit during the interview. I actually saw Jack Evans speak at a work convention several years back and he has some interesting stories.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Selfies predate successful everest expeditions

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Epitope posted:

As far as we know, self portraits predate all other forms of portrait photography. (And, of course, photography in general.)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Picnic Princess posted:

Honnold does what he does because he wants to and he's good at it. loving leave it at that already.

And most likely this will kill him eventually; however, big loving deal. Human beings need people who like doing insanely difficult me borderline suicidal things.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Epitope posted:

Osky and Weeda sound like some new Star Wars characters.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hello dead thread

I've seen a lot of book suggestions in this thread but I recently had a manga recommended to me by a friend that I had never heard suggested here before. It's named Kokou no Hito and it's about a super introverted guy that gets into climbing and sets the life goal to solo climb K2's untouched east face. It feels like your standard sports manga for the first fifth or fourth of it, but apparently the writer and artist had a falling out and it has an abrupt change of pace and style when the artist quits, after which it gets pretty heavy and depressing with lots of death and a sort of coming-of-age story for the protagonist. The art evolves as much as the story; it's kind of wonky at the start but quickly becomes insanely high quality and is filled with great images of mountain vistas.

One scene I particularly love, where he's attempting to summit Nanga Parbat at night time, and he keeps hearing avalanches in the darkness... you can't exactly draw it, so the artist visualizes it as skyscrapers collapsing in the distance.

The whole thing's inspired by the real life story of a Buntaro Kato, one of the first alpinists of Japan and who managed a ton of solo climbs of various Japanese mountains in both summer and winter seasons in the 1920s through to the late 30s, where... well,

quote:

Katō’s last visit to Yari was in January 1936. This time, a colleague, Yoshida Tomihisa, came with him. The abandonment of his solo ethos was not the only change in his life. A year or two previously, he’d got married. Now he came home every day to a real house instead of the grim company dormitory. “I’m back, Hana-chan,” he’d call out cheerily at the door. Soon he had a baby daughter to greet too.

In April 1934, he’d managed a week in the Northern Alps with Yoshida. They tackled the North Ridge to Mae-Hodaka, tunnelling their way up through a snow-filled chimney. What prompted Katō to climb with a companion? Marriage may have mellowed him, or he felt the need for a rope partner to tackle more difficult routes. Or, as Fujiki Kuzō suggested, he may have harboured ambitions for the Himalaya. If so, he might well have concluded that climbers could only succeed there as part of a strong team. British expeditions had recently returned to Everest, after the decade-long lapse that followed the deaths of Mallory and Irvine in 1924.

Whatever their dreams for the future, Katō and Yoshida overnighted at the hut on Yari’s col on January 2, 1936. Their immediate plan was to traverse the Kita-kama, the serious and committing ridge that extends north of Yari. A blizzard was raging when they woke the next day, forcing them to weigh their summit chances against their dwindling stock of food and annual leave. After breakfast, they went out into the driving snow and started up the ice-encrusted rocks. That was the last time that anybody saw them alive. When the bodies were found, in the deep valley on the far side of Yari, a newspaper lamented the passing of a life “like a national treasure”.

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008

Minrad posted:

Hello dead thread

I've seen a lot of book suggestions in this thread but I recently had a manga recommended to me by a friend that I had never heard suggested here before. It's named Kokou no Hito and it's about a super introverted guy that gets into climbing and sets the life goal to solo climb K2's untouched east face.

Hey thanks for this! I've started reading and I definitely see what you're saying about it being kinda typical cheesy manga. However it's still very entertaining and I look forward to the evolution in the story and art style - those pictures you posted are amazing.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
Hi all, we're trying to resurrect the SA Goodreads group and have just finished a few books on Everest, which I'd love to discuss with people. He's a link to the group and thread if any of you have Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/18811955-everest-mountaineering

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Despite being roughly half the size of Everest, Mont Blanc has a competitive death toll.

quote:

Saint-Gervais mayor warns that people who try to climb France’s highest mountain without proper kit face fines after series of deaths and accidents

quote:

After the death of the French man, Lt Col Stéphane Bozon, of the mountain gendarmes at Chamonix, told journalists the climber had been wearing “only trail equipment”, including shoes that would have been more appropriate for “a grandmother walking in the town”.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

quote:

This was the height of stupidity.

:perfect:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hey, kids, who wants to visit the corridor of death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Now, he is asking the French government to send more gendarmes up into the mountains to enforce the rules.

I think I've seen mention of these gendarme guys in route descriptions

"You can descend off the ridge under these features, if you are not equipped for fifth class travel"