Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

elentar posted:

Tyler Flowers is apparently the best pitch framer in the bigs and it's not particularly close. https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/880151575888515072

You could really see the difference last season after the Sox ditched Flowers for Alex Avila and DIoner Navarro. Flowers also outhit both of them last year and I've just looked it up and he's hitting .331 this season??? What a goddamn mistake that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

John Wilkes Booth posted:

You could really see the difference last season after the Sox ditched Flowers for Alex Avila and DIoner Navarro. Flowers also outhit both of them last year and I've just looked it up and he's hitting .331 this season??? What a goddamn mistake that was.

What is up with Flowers being really good all of the sudden? Is it a fluke or did he just bloom late?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What is up with Flowers being really good all of the sudden? Is it a fluke or did he just bloom late?

His BABIP is .403 so he's probably due to regress, though he is hitting liners at a career-high 25.4%.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So was Montero DFA'd because of his comment? He was actually hitting pretty well this season so I'm kinda confused why they did it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

So was Montero DFA'd because of his comment? He was actually hitting pretty well this season so I'm kinda confused why they did it.

Uh yea?

He blamed his teammates for himself sucking at his job and said these things to the media in a long rant. I don't think the Cubs care about his 800 OPS in 100 PA's which most of stemmed from him getting hot for two weeks.

Also, they literally have another guy, that CAN throw runners out, with the same pitchers! It was a death rant.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 28, 2017

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Nolan Arenado is stupid talented.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Caratini is up, maybe he'll lead off.

*Proceeds to hit infinite dingers until he is moved down in the lineup*

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Uh yea?

He blamed his teammates for himself sucking at his job and said these things to the media in a long rant. I don't think the Cubs care about his 800 OPS in 100 PA's which most of stemmed from him getting hot for two weeks.

Also, they literally have another guy, that CAN throw runners out, with the same pitchers! It was a death rant.

I mean yeah Contreras is the future obviously but they still need a backup catcher to give him time off. Did they call up someone from Iowa to take over backup duties?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
oh my god

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

As much as we'd like to believe that clubhouse chemistry breeds a winning team, more often than not it's a winning team that breeds clubhouse chemistry.

Didn't the A's team that won a bunch of World Series in the '70s constantly get into fights in their own clubhouse and even the dugout?

Sydin posted:

I'll probably remember his PH grand slam in the NLCS game one for the rest of my life. The raw emotion of that moment was unreal.

Poque and I were at a wedding in Tennessee during game 1 of the NLCS. It was the only postseason game at Wrigley we didn't attend in person in 2016. Ironically enough the bride was a coworker of his. I was the only one that could get decent cell signal and I remember hitting the update button on my phone during the reception, seeing the score jump from 3-3 to 7-3 and shouting "SOMETHING JUST HAPPENED!" There's a great picture of us with the bride and groom all holding W flags. :3:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Caratini may yet turn out to be one of Frank Wren's worst trades, which is a pretty high bar to clear.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Didn't the A's team that won a bunch of World Series in the '70s constantly get into fights in their own clubhouse and even the dugout?

My understanding is that this was mostly because all of them hated the owner who was a huge rear end in a top hat and tightwad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My buddy and I are curious: does anyone know the record for most consecutive singles in an inning? The Mariners had seven a couple of years ago.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Some Numbers posted:

My buddy and I are curious: does anyone know the record for most consecutive singles in an inning? The Mariners had seven a couple of years ago.

I don't know about singles, but I remember the Rockies getting like 11 straight hits against the Cubs at Coors a few years back.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I mean yeah Contreras is the future obviously but they still need a backup catcher to give him time off. Did they call up someone from Iowa to take over backup duties?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=carati000vic

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Well, there you go.

I've been consumed at work all week so this entire fiasco is the first I'm hearing about it this afternoon and I was confused what was going on with the Cubs.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

Well, there you go.

I've been consumed at work all week so this entire fiasco is the first I'm hearing about it this afternoon and I was confused what was going on with the Cubs.

If you look into Montero's stats this year, it really was that two week period in which he got like, 30 PA's of hitting .500 that inflated his statline. He's been OPSin'g .620 since May 7th or something. Not worth it to keep him around after really, really dumb comments in his final year as a Cub anyways. (Especially when that dude is mashing at AAA and can seemingly throw out more than 1 person every 30+ steal attempts)

Plus, the Beefy Lad can just slot in to catcher when he comes back :mmmhmm:

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 28, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If you look into Montero's stats this year, it really was that two week period in which he got like, 30 PA's of hitting .500 that inflated his statline. He's been OPSin'g .620 since May 7th or something. Not worth it to keep him around after really, really dumb comments in his final year as a Cub anyways. (Especially when that dude is mashing at AAA and can seemingly throw out more than 1 person every 30+ steal attempts)

Plus, the Beefy Lad can just slot in to catcher when he comes back :mmmhmm:

Give Schwarber another shot, it'll be worth it for the hilarious GIFs alone.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Maybe if he hadn't criticized Maddon about his playing time in the postseason he'd still he on the team, but you can't have a teammate calling out another teammate in the press like that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shout out to the Giants for doing something useful for once!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It probably went deeper than the comments yesterday. Still think him calling out Maddon right after the World Series rubbed people the wrong way. Especially when it was clear that Montero had no business playing in the postseason.

Montero had the slowest pop time in the league this season and looked even more out of shape than normal. I'll never forget the Grand Slam in the NLCS or the Game 7 RBI single. But his defense made him unplayable and pissing off teammates didn't help. Caratini deserves a shot but if it doesn't work out, there are always defensive backup catchers available for next to nothing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

My understanding is that this was mostly because all of them hated the owner who was a huge rear end in a top hat and tightwad.

Yeah, Charlie Finley was pretty much a lunatic, to the point that other owners stopped taking phone calls from him.

Niwrad posted:

Caratini deserves a shot but if it doesn't work out, there are always defensive backup catchers available for next to nothing.

If Montero was on such thin ice I'm surprised the Cubs didn't take a flyer on Vogt when he hit waivers, since they would have beaten Milwaukee's claim.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants on a winning streak, watch out National League

p.s.
https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/880182505864744960

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giants on a winning streak, watch out National League

p.s.
https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/880182505864744960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAbokV76tkU

This is his walk up music.

He rad.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If you look into Montero's stats this year, it really was that two week period in which he got like, 30 PA's of hitting .500 that inflated his statline. He's been OPSin'g .620 since May 7th or something.

That's true, if you ignore a player's good games, then his stats don't look so hot.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 29, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Montero was brought in to be the guy and quickly found himself overshadowed by a rookie and a guy who was supposed to be his backup that everyone became obsessed with.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is he strong? listen, bud. he's got radioactive blood.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/239323972/reds-scott-schebler-robs-a-home-run/

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If you take away all his PA's where he got on base, he's slashing .000/.000/.000

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Your Taint posted:

If you take away all his PA's where he got on base, he's slashing .000/.000/.000

Yeah but the flip side of this split

:eyepop:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/c...es/201706280194

The home plate umpire at today’s Pirates game prevented a woman from committing suicide today.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it appears that the Cubs have fallen under the Curse of Trump, as Kris Bryant just left the game

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Montero's Revenge

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

it appears that the Cubs have fallen under the Curse of Trump, as Kris Bryant just left the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
My theory is the Cubs inherited EYBS from the Giants when they beat them in the 2016 NLDS, so this is all according to plan.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/stephenjnesbitt/status/880219917731192832
:unsmith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This is from two pages ago, but Ted Cruz is not allowed to root for the 'Stros. The Rangers can have that slimy gently caress, that's my head canon.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bryant later rolled his ankle stepping on 3rd. Thanks Tump.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He wore the ring of one team while repping another.

That poo poo should get your primaried.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

STAC Goat posted:

He wore the ring of one team while repping another.

That poo poo should get your primaried.

Hey, I didn't wear Poque's ring at the most recent goonmeet. Even the Cardinals fan knows that poo poo's wrong. I did offer to let him take a photo with him punching me in the face with the ring while I was wearing my Cardinals hat. He didn't take me up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I really appreciate Bryant giving me an alltime great Cubs image.

• Locked thread