Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mike_V posted:

I really appreciate Bryant giving me an alltime great Cubs image.

It's got nothing on Nomar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
ho hum

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/880250501899616256

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is kind of amazing since it should be harder to get ejected these days with instant replay.

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/880250875062747137
https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/880249487951880193

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Niwrad posted:

This is kind of amazing since it should be harder to get ejected these days with instant replay.

Can you blame him for not having to stay and watch the white sox

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Niwrad posted:

:hellyeah:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bump_fn posted:

Can you blame him for not having to stay and watch the white sox

You joke but the ejection was him basically just saying 1 word to the ump and he was gone. So Renteria really, really wanted to go home early.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

STAC Goat posted:

You joke but the ejection was him basically just saying 1 word to the ump and he was gone. So Renteria really, really wanted to go home early.

Renteria: ......................titties
Angel Hernandez: WHAT THE gently caress YOU'RE OUTTA HERE

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Bartolo is done

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Poque posted:

hahahah

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Poque posted:

*The next day*

RR: "More like Anal Hernandez!"
AH:"YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME! BOOOM!"

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

STAC Goat posted:

If you listen to the audio you can hear him saying "I wasn't arguing balls and strikes!" and he calls the umpire a disgrace but also "loving bullshit" so I dunno

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
This was the view from my seat tonight:

PNC Park is a cool park if I do say so myself.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

marioinblack posted:

PNC is extremely good esp considering how new it is

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

marioinblack posted:

Minute Maid is nice, but sometimes I wish it was a traditional roofless stadium. There's just something better about watching games in one.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

It's cool how the cameraman gets fooled thinking the balls gonna sink like it normally would but it just stays up

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1550579583/nyycws-judge-lines-a-tworun-shot-to-left/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Bartolo is done

It sucks that he has to go out like this, but they need to let him go.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

BasicFunk posted:

It sucks that he has to go out like this, but they need to let him go.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

N: the Yanks' youth movement continues, as Miguel Andujar had 3 hits and drove in 4 in his first game

V: this probably would have been Gleyber had he not busted his elbow, but seeing another kid come up and have early success is good enough for me

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

N: the Yanks' youth movement continues, as Miguel Andujar had 3 hits and drove in 4 in his first game

V: this probably would have been Gleyber had he not busted his elbow, but seeing another kid come up and have early success is good enough for me

Andujar was a legit prospect coming into the season even with Torres healthy, so it's cool to see him come up and have an impact right away.

That said, Dustin Fowler didn't play either game of a AAA doubleheader today, and the manager said the decision was "out of my hands" so #hugwatch activated.

(Looks like Austin may be DL bound, but Fowler isn't on the 40-man.)

EDIT: Also apparently Andujar is a demon.

https://twitter.com/DidiG18/status/880279586378043392

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 29, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Charlie Morton's possibly going to start for the Astros on Sunday, which would make the predicted starting rotation 60% healthy.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Tigers will totally slide Bartolo into their rotation once Justin Verlander gets traded.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Minute Maid is nice, but sometimes I wish it was a traditional roofless stadium. There's just something better about watching games in one.

Not in Houston there's not

Also thank you Springer for the free chicken sandwich tomorrow

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Is bartolo injured or cooked? Could he pitch out of the bullpen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Since he's 44 I'm leaning toward cooked

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Angels beat the Dodgers tonight on a walk-off golden sombrero of all things (Grandal tried to throw out at first on the passed ball, guy from third scores - I don't know how well a THIS GUY SCORES image would work though).

So is that dumber or only slightly less incredibly dumb than a balk-off?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

elentar posted:

Caratini may yet turn out to be one of Frank Wren's worst trades, which is a pretty high bar to clear.

I remember at the time thinking Carantini wasn't all that special but it seemed odd to trade a switch hitting catcher with good numbers at the time and a chance to make the majors eventually?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

humpthewind posted:

Is bartolo injured or cooked? Could he pitch out of the bullpen

Cooked.

I wouldn't mind him out of the pen as I figure he couldn't be worse than Ian Krol.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Rand alPaul posted:

The Tigers will totally slide Bartolo into right field once JD gets traded.

:getin:

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Lackey for Bartolo challenge trade let's do this

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IMB posted:

Lackey for Bartolo challenge trade let's do this

No take backsies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Charlie Morton's possibly going to start for the Astros on Sunday, which would make the predicted starting rotation 60% healthy.

Yay! :unsmith: I've missed him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
It feels like Charlie Morton should be the name of a restaurateur with a chain of steakhouses.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

Andujar was a legit prospect coming into the season even with Torres healthy, so it's cool to see him come up and have an impact right away.

That said, Dustin Fowler didn't play either game of a AAA doubleheader today, and the manager said the decision was "out of my hands" so #hugwatch activated.

(Looks like Austin may be DL bound, but Fowler isn't on the 40-man.)

EDIT: Also apparently Andujar is a demon.

https://twitter.com/DidiG18/status/880279586378043392

Fowler officially called up. Corresponding moves on the 25 man and 40 man haven't been announced yet. I guess they're gonna have Ellsbury DH?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

That's true, if you ignore a player's good games, then his stats don't look so hot.

That's true, but he has 100 PA's this season and only 30 of them are good. Both small sample sizes. Therefore, saying he was "hitting well" this year, isn't really saying much. Considering his last 1600 PA's are .700 OPS. Saying "he was hitting well this year" is not a good statement. A small sample size within a small sample size greatly inflated his slash line this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Fowler officially called up. Corresponding moves on the 25 man and 40 man haven't been announced yet. I guess they're gonna have Ellsbury DH?

Who even knows. I'm a little worried that right now they're gonna have Romine play 1B full time and that means there's no BUC, or Wade/Headley will have to learn it on the fly. This of course assumes that the Tyler Austin DL trip is inevitable, I guess.

Also, even if they send Austin to the 10-day, they still need to clear a 40-man spot, right? Might be the end of the road for Refsnyder or Williams.

If they add Greg Bird to the 60-day, could they make it retroactive back to May 2nd?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 29, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why didn't Aaron Judge make it to the majors sooner? I feel like someone hitting that well at 25 could have been a meaningful contributor at 23 or 24.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bewbies posted:

Why didn't Aaron Judge make it to the majors sooner? I feel like someone hitting that well at 25 could have been a meaningful contributor at 23 or 24.

He played a bit last year at age 24 and wasn't very good. His first year in the minors was age 22 because he went to college and played ball. He struggled at AAA as a 23 year old. Seems a pretty standard progression for a good baseballer.

Also, he was a top 100 prospect, but I don't think anyone expected him to do what hes doing right now. He's crazy good right now.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 29, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bewbies posted:

He literally spent 2 years in the minors.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think he had to make adjustments because he was striking out a LOT last year. He was literally striking out every 2nd AB last year. Now he's K'ing every 3rd and half at bat, and he's also he's making way better contact. He's also walking every 6th PA, last year it was every 11th PA. That doesn't sound like a big difference in terms of K's, and he still strikes out a fair bit, but it's like going from being Rob Deer to Jim Thome.

Pitchers will probably adjust to him and he probably won't hit well over .300 every year, but if he can hit .270 to .300 and provide the power he does now, he'll be a force for a good long while.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think he had to make adjustments because he was striking out a LOT last year. He was literally striking out every 2nd AB last year. Now he's K'ing every 3rd and half at bat, and he's also he's making way better contact. . He's also walking every 6th PA, last year it was every 11th PA. That doesn't sound like a big difference in terms of K's, and he still strikes out a fair bit, but it's like going from being Rob Deer to Jim Thome.

He's had that adjustment period at every level, which is why the Yankees couldn't/didn't rush him any more than they did.

A lot of people (myself included) figured he would need at least a couple months to finish adjusting to MLB pitching. What none of us realized was that 2016 was the adjustment period.

EDIT: Also his hit tool has always been underrated by the non-scouting community because they see his size and just go "mindless slugger."

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 29, 2017

• Locked thread