Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The sound design in System Shock 1 it amazing particularly for a game that old, but one neat little touch that I've just seen for the first time is on Deck 5.

Music in the game is your standard mid-90's bleep-bloop thumpin' techno track, which fits with a cyberpunk-y game where you hack terminals and smash robots, but there are 2 or 3 areas on Deck 5 where you see the last stand of other humans against the encroaching robot/mutant infestation, with a half-dozen dead bodies strewn around, and when you go into those areas...

Silence. Up until now the music has been constant (and gets more frantic during battles with multiple enemies around), but then you step into a cargo bay full of corpses and wonder why it seems so eerie, and then it hits you that everything is quiet as a tomb.

It's a really neat little bit of sound direction, and one of the reasons why a game with comparatively primitive graphics is still so immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I've been playing Shadow Warrior 2 and I love all the different weapons you get. Someone in it's thread compared the arsenal to the Project Brutality mod for Doom and I think that's an accurate comparison. Each weapon feels like a sidegrade than a upgrade.

Some of the weapons are also a reference to a game or movie. For example, one of the sawn off shotguns is called the Stick of Doom, which is obviously a reference to the Super Shotgun from Doom 2. Your character even holds it in the center of the screen, and it's reload animation is just as satisfying.

Oh, and you can modify weapons and add things like elemental damage and/or change it's firing mode. You can have a shotgun that unloads all it's barrels in one shot and blow away every enemy onscreen and lights them on fire in the process. Or have a grenade launcher whose grenades you can remotely donate and shock anyone in their radius while also giving you back health.

It's also just fun running around slicing dudes up with your katana much like it was back in the first game. Shadow Warrior 2 owns.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MiddleOne posted:

I'm still bummed that Semi-FPS Turn-based Strategy RPG's never really took of as the Valkyria Chronicle sequels got shunted off to the dying PSP with a healthy dose of literal anime high-school drama. It was a cool addition to a genre which still feels like it's just mostly bumbling together elements from past Fire Emblem games and XCOM with nothing else really being even tried anymore. There's so much that could be tried but there's just no ambition on the developer side.

There's a sequel that's coming out soon but it's console exclusive at this point in time.

edit: I do suggest trying out VC3 as that is probably the best story and characterization wise.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Valkyria Chronicles having such fun mechanics and characters was really brought down by the fact that the 'expected' way to play (i.e. like it's a tactical skirmish) was totally at odds with the optimal way to play that also gave you the most points - by rushing your best scout up to the enemy outposts, headshotting them, and taking it.

If the need for cover and the effects of suppression were more robust then it would've felt better. To me, anyway.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

To be honest this isn't a little thing and should go in the opposite thread but while we're on the Valkyria Chronicles topic I thought I'll highlight something in World of Tanks. (On the Asia server)

Context:
Sega and Wargaming collaborated and released two premium tanks based on the VC franchise, first released on the Asia server of World of Tanks. Quicklybaby, one of the big names in the World of Tanks community (no this isn't the guy who called a premium tank a pile of AIDS) that reviews in game tanks, has never played any of the VC games. He decides to create an Asia server account and records the following two videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PK-sNHp7a0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-gSUxNC3G4

I'm sorry you had to learn about the inability to transfer crew members to/from other tanks thats unique to these two tanks this way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Testekill posted:

There's a sequel that's coming out soon but it's console exclusive at this point in time.

edit: I do suggest trying out VC3 as that is probably the best story and characterization wise.

Yeah, as far as I could tell in the other two, the main characters sucked. The third one had at least a more interesting commander.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Some of the NPCs in Grand Theft Auto Online will remark on how your character never says anything. It's a running gag in one of the Heist chains, with Lester constantly bringing it up. "I'd threaten to cut out your tongues, but you never use them anyway."

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Some of the NPCs in Grand Theft Auto Online will remark on how your character never says anything. It's a running gag in one of the Heist chains, with Lester constantly bringing it up. "I'd threaten to cut out your tongues, but you never use them anyway."

Which is funny, because the player characters "talk" whenever their player uses voice chat, so they're not really silent in-world despite being literally silent.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

The sequel is unfortunately a mediocre action RPG missing everything that made the old games good.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mokinokaro posted:

The sequel is unfortunately a mediocre action RPG missing everything that made the old games good.

Jeez, that's disappointing. They do know that people liked VC because there is nothing like it on the market from a gameplay perspective right?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I grabbed Rocksmith 2014 on the Steam sale since I have a bunch of RS cables lying around unusable until I get my stereo fixed. Then I discovered custom DLC songs.

I think I ended up playing for almost five hours after work yesterday. My fingers are pretty much angry pulp under the callouses.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Picked up Dying Light, I love how sick of everything Crane sounds all the time.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been playing through Just Cause 2 again as a run up to playing Just Cause 3 and I forgot how many small details the game has.

Your parachute doesn't get caught on trees so you can easily go cross country with the best mode of transportation.

Rico's clothes reflect the biome he's in, getting covered in sand or snow depending on where he is.

Oh, and the voice acting is the perfect mixture of awful and b-level ham.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

NonzeroCircle posted:

It gets better across the game. He starts off as kind of dull and something of a tool, but should really grow on you over the game.

You can tell Roger Craig Smith really enjoyed himself.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shadow Warrior 2: "You can pry my dick jokes from my cold dead Wang"

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
if you're gonna post that also post how the F keys display as the health bar and the number pad is the mana well. that's objectively a better use of the feature.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Horizon Zero Dawn: I just went somewhere out of order and got a lot of hinting at plot stuff, at least the way greater enemy concentrations hint at stuff. I have so far found 2 ruins that I can do nothing with yet, one in the eastern mountains that I need to break the ice off the entrance of, and one in the mountain across from there that is much nastier, in what looks like a mining site that I cannot traverse all of the way through, and guarded by a stormbird. I just wanted the vantage point, and I got a pseudo-boss that was introduced by a cutscene right on top of it. Bastards. At least when the plot makes me fight that thing I can fast travel most of the way up that mountain now and take care of business and finally get that vantage point. I like that the game gives you enough freedom to do all of that. :3:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sponge Baathist posted:

if you're gonna post that also post how the F keys display as the health bar and the number pad is the mana well. that's objectively a better use of the feature.

You know I could but then I though long and hard about it and decided be on point with the Wang.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just a head's up, while the regular game does have an ending you have to do The Following DLC to get a conclusion to the story. I'm assuming any version you're buying nowadays comes with the DLC though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Killing Floor 2: I'm appreciating more and more how much variety you can get out of just a straight up map focused horde game thanks to unique physics and great weapons.

More on point for little things, the microwave gun is right up there with Turok 2's cerebral bore in terms of "poo poo that's just plain fun to use".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0kCcI7840I

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

NonzeroCircle posted:

I just picked this up also and am doing Co-op with a buddy. I really like how well-integrated the climb/jump mechanics are integrated, and that almost every situation is an opportunity to take four or five different possible routes.

Very amusing how quickly Crane went from "sure, what do you need" to "goddamnit now what" when someone asks him for help.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The AI companions in the story quests in Horizon are actually worth a drat. They always do some damage to enemies, often quite a lot if given enough time.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

VanSandman posted:

I know this is being nitpicky, but why would you wish someone to lose their job? They gotta live too.

I don't really. just a bit of hyperbole.

I REALLY like the combat in Mad max though and REALLY wanted to just replay through some strongholds dressed as Classic Max with the sawn-off. Game should have had a "battle room" like Batman or something though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I tried Dyling Light on PS4 a while back and didn't get into it. I didn't hate it, just never got time to really give it a chance. I do remember feeling a little bit of being "rushed", does the game ever chill out at all, sort of how in W3 you can ignore the main quest 99% of the time and dick around? I'm aware there is a night cycle that makes it more dangerous to be out, but other than that?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
No "ticking clock" as far as I can remember. My friend started it a few months ago and wound up levelling every stat to max before he even knew there was another part of the map to explore.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

moosecow333 posted:

I've been playing through Just Cause 2 again as a run up to playing Just Cause 3 and I forgot how many small details the game has.

Your parachute doesn't get caught on trees so you can easily go cross country with the best mode of transportation.

If you have the parachute thrusters (from the Black Market Aerial Pack DLC) the parachute becomes the best way to get around, and you'll hardly want for vehicles outside of missions. (Especially if you mod them for infinite fuel.)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

FreshFeesh posted:

I just picked this up also and am doing Co-op with a buddy. I really like how well-integrated the climb/jump mechanics are integrated, and that almost every situation is an opportunity to take four or five different possible routes.

Very amusing how quickly Crane went from "sure, what do you need" to "goddamnit now what" when someone asks him for help.

Once you get the grappling hook, especially once fully upgraded a lot of those intricate paths become lost, it was quite interesting seeing as my coop buddy had played ahead after getting to the second part of the city and had already gotten it, while I was still climbing around like a pleb. It really changes the pacing and your approach to things. It's also awesome.
It really is a great game with all the parkouring and later on with the driving. The only thing that is really important is to not play it alone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I tried Dyling Light on PS4 a while back and didn't get into it. I didn't hate it, just never got time to really give it a chance. I do remember feeling a little bit of being "rushed", does the game ever chill out at all, sort of how in W3 you can ignore the main quest 99% of the time and dick around? I'm aware there is a night cycle that makes it more dangerous to be out, but other than that?

The night stuff is more difficult, but not only does it double XP gains, it gets rid of the XP penalty for dying. Ideal time to go nuts.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If you're a huge pussy like me it's also way scary.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

m2pt5 posted:

If you have the parachute thrusters (from the Black Market Aerial Pack DLC) the parachute becomes the best way to get around, and you'll hardly want for vehicles outside of missions. (Especially if you mod them for infinite fuel.)

In the base game if you get consistent in your grappling it's better movement than the vehicles over land too. You become something like a reverse spider man!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I think what I like most about Just Cause 3 is how colorful it is, especially compared to 2. A lot of games of that genre try to make everything really gritty and dim but JC3 is full of fields of flowers and bright blue oceans. It's a really pretty game.

Nostradingus has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jun 29, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I got Nier: Automata in the steam sale. 9S has pestered 2B twice, asking her to call him by a nickname that I suspect he made up himself.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Duke, Ace. Ole Iron Balls

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Duke, Ace. Ole Iron Balls

Maybe ace-hole.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

samu3lk posted:

I got Nier: Automata in the steam sale. 9S has pestered 2B twice, asking her to call him by a nickname that I suspect he made up himself.

> Says all his friends call him Nines
> Never hangs out with anyone but 2B

If 2B weren't blindfolded all the time she'd be rolling her eyes nonstop at his bs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Now that I've finally hit the second Ruin in Horizon: Zero Dawn I love the storytelling in this game. I love the hologram-scenes of Elisabet discovering the nature of Apocashitstorm, ie all the robots made by Ted's company starting to eat everything in sight to convert to biomass. Just Ted trying so feebly to placate her and her responding with "This isn't a glitch Ted, this is a disaster..." "It gets worse...:shobon:" and the great moment of "My Bad..." "You're bad? This isn't bad Ted, it's apocalyptic!" Also Aloy calling Sylens out for being a little too coy while sending her into danger.

The characters in this game are so good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love how in Dishonored when you choke out someone that is holding some money or a key, you automatically take it off them.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Sage Grimm posted:

In the base game if you get consistent in your grappling it's better movement than the vehicles over land too. You become something like a reverse spider man!

I thought the combat was heavily based around rolling and grappling between cover and everyone played like this anyway to be honest. Maybe I'm doing it wrong! My only bugbear with the parachute is the same as the typical SR4 complaints: as soon as you get good at it there's little point in vehicles when you can just grapple everywhere. Boats are an exception obviously, although I like that they spawn lots of ocean traffic so you don't end up constantly having to swim miles to shore when you run out of momentum.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
There is however little I've found more satisfying than slide-tackling the undead while running past/through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

FreshFeesh posted:

There is however little I've found more satisfying than slide-tackling the undead while running past/through them

Jump kicking them off a roof.

Achievement Unlocked: This. Is. Harran!