Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Best option for a Gameboy Classic; link cable compatibility with original hardware.

Fun fact: you can use the Game Boy Pocket link cable all the way up to the GBA and the GameCube Game Boy Player!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
if your gameboy classic games lists don't include Tetris then i dont think you ever owned a gameboy or know anyone who had one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

if your gameboy classic games lists don't include Tetris then i dont think you ever owned a gameboy or know anyone who had one.

The Tetris Company is super anal and it's entirely likely a classic game boy wouldn't have the game as a result.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

weirdly they were OK with Puyo Puyo Tetris however

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Vikar Jerome posted:

Seriously. It's very possibly my most played game on the thing by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That and classic Golf.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

well why not posted:

weirdly they were OK with Puyo Puyo Tetris however

Not entirely, actually. Even before Switch was a thing, Puyo Puyo Tetris was only available on PS4 on disc. It was not, and still isn't, available digitally there (or on Xbox One in Japan, where it's also disc-only), the belief being that Ubisoft has some sort of exclusivity deal on a downloadable Tetris game, due to Tetris Ultimate.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Really disappointed that I didn't get Tetris GB when it came out on 3DS (it's gone now)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

univbee posted:

The Tetris Company is super anal and it's entirely likely a classic game boy wouldn't have the game as a result.

i thought it was all russian freeware or something? i am not up to date on tetris licensing.

that said, after star fox 2, i could see them pulling more surprises if they ever do a n64 mini, like ships with 4 controllers and goldeneye and most of rares n64 poo poo and also completed 3d version of Mother 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vikar Jerome posted:

i thought it was all russian freeware or something? i am not up to date on tetris licensing.

that said, after star fox 2, i could see them pulling more surprises if they ever do a n64 mini, like ships with 4 controllers and goldeneye and most of rares n64 poo poo and also completed 3d version of Mother 3.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are pretty much off the table in perpetuity for anything Nintendo. Microsoft wouldn't let Perfect Dark or Banjo-Kazooie go if you held a gun to their heads due to Rare Replay, and Goldeneye is trapped between being both a Rare game and a licensed movie title. Ditto for Rogue Squadron, especially as it is Legacy-canon now.

One game I can almost guarantee would be on an N64 Mini, however, is Sin and Punishment. Nintendo have gotten a lot of mileage out of it on Wii VC to the point it got a full-blown sequel, and either they or Treasure put effort into getting it on the WiiU eShop along with said sequel. It also rides the novelty factor of "NEVER RELEASED IN THE US/EU/AUSTRALIA BEFORE NOW".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Vikar Jerome posted:

No, there is a company called The Tetris Company that handles all licensing and they have lots of dumb stipulations about only approving games with certain mechanics (and by association, keeping older games out of circulation if they go against the new regulations), only allowing a select number of games to be available at any one time, etc.

Nintendo can better negotiate the release of the older stuff than other companies, naturally, but there are a lot of old Tetris games (and games with the Tetris name like Tetris Attack) that will never be re-released for that reason.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Spellman posted:

Really disappointed that I didn't get Tetris GB when it came out on 3DS (it's gone now)

I am not trying to be a smart rear end but can someone with freeshop installed on their 3DS check if it shows up? I am curious.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If the Soviet Union hadn't fallen then Tetris could have been free to all as it should be

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Couldn't they release Tetris attack as Yoshi puzzle challenge or something like that, it's not like the game had anything to do with Tetris.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are pretty much off the table in perpetuity for anything Nintendo. Microsoft wouldn't let Perfect Dark or Banjo-Kazooie go if you held a gun to their heads due to Rare Replay, and Goldeneye is trapped between being both a Rare game and a licensed movie title. Ditto for Rogue Squadron, especially as it is Legacy-canon now.

One game I can almost guarantee would be on an N64 Mini, however, is Sin and Punishment. Nintendo have gotten a lot of mileage out of it on Wii VC to the point it got a full-blown sequel, and either they or Treasure put effort into getting it on the WiiU eShop along with said sequel. It also rides the novelty factor of "NEVER RELEASED IN THE US/EU/AUSTRALIA BEFORE NOW".

nah, the wii almost had goldeneye on vc but nintendo said no. rare had that goldeneye hd (similar to the arcade version of perfect dark) pretty much completed (its all on youtube) and were planning on releasing it on xbla and microsoft wanted to do a deal with nintendo to release the original on wii if they were allowed to release it on xbla but nintendo were like "an n64 game on xbox? no!" and that shut that down and then they went on to make the perfect dark port.

however, now minecraft, a microsoft owned product, is on switch complete with xbox live login stuff who knows how the relationship might work these days.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Original_Z posted:

Couldn't they release Tetris attack as Yoshi puzzle challenge or something like that, it's not like the game had anything to do with Tetris.

Nintendo could and should do that but I guess they figure it's not worth the tiny amount of effort it'd take to do so.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vikar Jerome posted:

nah, the wii almost had goldeneye on vc but nintendo said no. rare had that goldeneye hd (similar to the arcade version of perfect dark) pretty much completed (its all on youtube) and were planning on releasing it on xbla and microsoft wanted to do a deal with nintendo to release the original on wii if they were allowed to release it on xbla but nintendo were like "an n64 game on xbox? no!" and that shut that down and then they went on to make the perfect dark port.

however, now minecraft, a microsoft owned product, is on switch complete with xbox live login stuff who knows how the relationship might work these days.

Nintendo is usually to blame when it comes to licensing issues. They are known to be terrible to work with even by japanese standards.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, in theory, someone will be able to rip the Starfox 2 ROM from this thing with ease, right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

So, in theory, someone will be able to rip the Starfox 2 ROM from this thing with ease, right?

I played it on a cartridge years ago (probably about 10 years) so it's been around for a while already.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I played it on a cartridge years ago (probably about 10 years) so it's been around for a while already.

This version of Starfox 2 will be 100% complete so it will be quite a bit different.

And yeah I would imagine the ROM will be easily rippable if it's anything like the NES classic.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Then why did Nintendo let them use Killer Instinct? Hell the XBox One version even lets you play the original 1994 version that Nintendo helped make.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This version of Starfox 2 will be 100% complete so it will be quite a bit different.

And yeah I would imagine the ROM will be easily rippable if it's anything like the NES classic.

Then why did Nintendo let them use Killer Instinct? Hell the XBox One version even lets you play the original 1994 version that Nintendo helped make.

ip is all rare with that one. they got to keep their own creations and nintendo kept theirs despite who worked on it. like nintendo did release diddy kong racing for the NDS but took out conker and banjo but kept all the other characters. nintendo still had the licensing or some poo poo with goldeneye.

actually, come to think of it, they might have sorted out any issues they had before since the original n64 conker is on rare replay i hear and back on the first xbox rare had to remake that (or demake is more correct, that version is poo poo) or maybe having them all in rare replay is some kinda legal loophole like how remasters/remakes were for conker/banjo.

i dont know.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The point is get over Goldeneye and let your memories stay wonderful.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

The point is get over Goldeneye and let your memories stay wonderful.

It might be a touch better with that emulator that lets you use a mouse and keyboard to play it with though. I haven't tried it myself

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah, you don't want to play Goldeneye in 2017. It'll just make you sad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

An N64 classic would be hilarious because you need four controllers for the big multiplayer hits and nobody will be able to find additional ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

An N64 classic would be hilarious because you need four controllers for the big multiplayer hits and nobody will be able to find additional ones.

Mainly because those who own original N64's will be cannibalizing them for the joysticks.

Also I'd be curious to see if they'd actually do Rumble Paks as an extra thing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hollenhammer posted:

It might be a touch better with that emulator that lets you use a mouse and keyboard to play it with though. I haven't tried it myself

You still have sub-Duke3D-level movement abilities - can't jump, can't fall off of things or knock people off of things. GoldenEye was able to get away with it because it was the N64 and true 3D FPSes were in their infancy even on PC, but the game has simply aged horribly. Find the uncompressed music on YouTube and listen to that while you play something else.

N64 won the silver medal in the worst console gen, I'd be real surprised if Nintendo doesn't do some form of GB Classic next year instead.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
It would be criminal to release an N64 and not have at least one of those wrestling games like No Mercy. They're still talked about today as the most fun a wrestling video game as every been

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Signor posted:

It would be criminal to release an N64 and not have at least one of those wrestling games like No Mercy. They're still talked about today as the most fun a wrestling video game as every been

WCW vs NWO was awesome.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Signor posted:

Another impossible license more than likely. Not only is WWE with 2K now, THQ doesn't even exist anymore. Plus you have people in the game that are not under contract with WWE (and no way they're putting out a game with WCW in the title).

Kinda that same problem with sports titles.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh was it not finished back then? I seem to recall it being in Japanese. It was an interesting curio at the time but not actually that great to play.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

N64 won the silver medal in the worst console gen, I'd be real surprised if Nintendo doesn't do some form of GB Classic next year instead.

What the gently caress?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh was it not finished back then? I seem to recall it being in Japanese. It was an interesting curio at the time but not actually that great to play.

There was 2 versions that leaked online IIRC:

1. An early alpha version that wasn't anywhere near complete, and you selected levels using a developer menu
2. A later version that homebrew devs completed by patching up the source code (there was no multiplayer in this version)

The StarFox 2 dev said on Twitter the other day that the original game was mastered, so Nintendo has a complete game sitting around somewhere

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 29, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The problem with a GBC classic (or GBA classic) is you can't really do much to miniaturize it.

I'd be all for it, but it would need to have a lot more than 20-30 games for it to be worth it versus the treasure trove of GB/GBC/GBA games I have in one small carrying case. Or at the very least it should have HDMI-out with Super Gameboy style color/border stuff when outputting to a TV.

quote:

What the gently caress?

What he said is literally an objective fact, sorry.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pablo Gigante posted:

What the gently caress?

Obviously a fan of the Sega Saturn.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Calling the PS1/Saturn/N64 era the "worst console generation" is incredibly hosed up

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

What the gently caress?

That console gen, it was the worst one. There were games to like, but if you start at the NES (as per the William of Normandy Rule) I don't know what console gen wasn't better than the PSX/N64/Saturn era of bad ugly 3D, high prices, and ill-fitting controls.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Calling the PS1/Saturn/N64 era the "worst console generation" is incredibly hosed up

It had some great games(actually a lot of them) but it was a really awkward time for both graphics and controls. We went from really great 2D graphics to ugly 3D graphics for a generation before things started getting passable with the PS2/Gamecube/XBox generation. That's also when a lot more devs started figuring out how to make 3D games work from a gameplay perspective.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I would think the generation that literally killed the market at the time would be the worst one, but arguing about this stuff is dumb.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Phantasium posted:

I would think the generation that literally killed the market at the time would be the worst one, but arguing about this stuff is dumb.

That's all precambrian rabble. The video game industry we have today started with the NES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There is no worst console generation since games are always good and pretending otherwise is some chauvinist bullshit