Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So was Judge just kind of a late bloomer? Offhand it seems like most elite hitters nowadays were at least decent hitters at age 22-23 although that analysis is really unscientific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

So was Judge just kind of a late bloomer? Offhand it seems like most elite hitters nowadays were at least decent hitters at age 22-23 although that analysis is really unscientific.

Kind of. He was a three-sport kid in high school, and so I think he only really came up on the pro radar when he decided to focus on baseball in college. He hit well at all levels when you look at his overall lines, but he required a period at each new stop to get used to the level. In his first AAA stint in 2015, he only hit .224/.308/.373 in 61 games.

To go back to calling him Our Beefy Lad, there was clearly kind of a Schwarber-esque continued belief in his skills within the organization even as the "prospect community" at large kind of soured on him (especially after 2015 and his call-up) and the team is being massively rewarded for it now.

EDIT: Also Judge was at least a year and a half younger than the average age for every league except for Low-A when he first got drafted.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Justin Smoak just keeps getting Better and I don't know how to handle it. By the end of the year he's going to be hitting .800 with 75 home runs.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is the rumor of Verlander possibly going to the Astros true? Just saw a graphic on MLB Network.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So apparently Dustin Fowler is getting comped to Brett Gardner and people are very mad about it for some reason. I can't think of anybody else on the Yankees in my time of being a fan where the actual career and the perceived career have been so different.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/06/29/1552003983/1498714098381/asset_2500K.mp4

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
"Maybin decides not to run"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

So apparently Dustin Fowler is getting comped to Brett Gardner and people are very mad about it for some reason. I can't think of anybody else on the Yankees in my time of being a fan where the actual career and the perceived career have been so different.

Having a little trouble unpacking that but they're both lefty white guys with similar heights and weights and their game is built around speed (or was). If someone heard that comp from a scout (the comp on a scouting card is just a physical comparison), I guess I could buy it.

Statistically, I don't see it? I guess Fowler has been hitting well in AAA this year?

Is there some kind of Fowler hype going around Yankees boards that the rest of us aren't privy to or is it that Yankees fans don't appreciate Gardner?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 29, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

Having a little trouble unpacking that but they're both lefty white guys with similar heights and weights and their game is built around speed (or was). If someone heard that comp from a scout (the comp on a scouting card is just a physical comparison), I guess I could buy it.

Statistically, I don't see it? I guess Fowler has been hitting well in AAA this year?

Is there some kind of Fowler hype going around Yankees boards that the rest of us aren't privy to or is it that Yankees fans don't appreciate Gardner?

It's a scouting comp, and the reaction is due to people thinking Gardner sucks for some reason. I guess the perennial trade rumors are souring people, but a guy who is always tradeable is a guy who is always good! That's why people would want to trade for him!

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
The gross lump on Tyler Flowers' arm...
https://twitter.com/McBainsGoggles/status/880278336286498816

https://twitter.com/Friar_Faithful/status/880277572331872256?s=09

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I drilled a baseball off my left shin last week and it did the exact same thing, puffed up into a big fat lump but it didn't really hurt. It's still kinda there but hasn't bothered me much, it probably just looks worse than it actually is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So would Maybin get an RBI for that ridiculousness?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

you don't get RBI for wild pitches, passed balls, or errors so probably not

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

So would Maybin get an RBI for that ridiculousness?

The run scored either on the throwing error or the passed ball so there's no RBI in either case.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/880489493882699777

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Godspeed Bartolo

Wait I thought I was following the Braves prospects as closely as the next guy but who is Rex Brothers

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Julio Cruz posted:

The run scored either on the throwing error or the passed ball so there's no RBI in either case.

So how the hell does that get scored? K + PB + E2?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Godspeed Bartolo

Wait I thought I was following the Braves prospects as closely as the next guy but who is Rex Brothers

An old reliever.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Godspeed Bartolo

He's not a prospect, he spent 5 years as a reliever with the Rockies.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This thread title just got too real on too many levels.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

It's a scouting comp, and the reaction is due to people thinking Gardner sucks for some reason. I guess the perennial trade rumors are souring people, but a guy who is always tradeable is a guy who is always good! That's why people would want to trade for him!

As a Yankees fan who lives in Boston and does not interact with New York fans or media in any real way, do people really hate Gardy? He's homegrown, on a cheap contract and generally pretty good? Why hate him?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Rex Brothers both sounds and looks like a central casting choice for "generic Republican congressman".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Timby posted:

So how the hell does that get scored? K + PB + E2?

Maybin reached on the error (K, E2). The PB allowed Revere to take third and the error allowed him to score. I think.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

You know what to do, Twins.

Also, Sano is going to the Home Run Derby, I'm hearing. Hopefully he stays in the lead for 3B as well. :ohdear:

e: Just for funsies

Should be amusing.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 29, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

As a Yankees fan who lives in Boston and does not interact with New York fans or media in any real way, do people really hate Gardy? He's homegrown, on a cheap contract and generally pretty good? Why hate him?

I have absolutely no idea. People think he's a bad player for some reason, I guess because he doesn't hit .300 or steal enough bases anymore?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't think Yankees fans really hate him. Most of the ones I know just want to trade him because no one is going to take on Ellsbury's contract and give something of value in return. Yankees have lots of outfield depth in the minors as well, so I guess fans want to make room for them eventually (and for a future run at Harper as well).

Edit: Most of the "trade Gardy" stuff I've heard, though, was before Hicks got injured.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
If the Tigers really manage to trade Verlander, they better make sure they either get an incredible return or have real plans for trading off at least 2 of JD/Kinsler/Avila. If the trade deadline comes and goes and all we've done is dump one of Detroit's few homegrown talents for some garbage, there will have to be a huge fan backlash. I can just see this turning into Fister Trade 2: Trade Harder.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

ihatepants posted:

I don't get their roster construction at all this year. They are already playing with a 3 man bench and they're so scared of having to sit without injured Chase Headley on the DL for 10 days, they're just going to go ahead and not have a backup infielder for if one of Torreyes, Didi or Castro have to leave the game. So, essentially the bench right now is the BUC Romine and 4th OF Mason Williams.

N: I wished for more than just a 3 man bench. Players on the bench tonight are Andujar, Headley, Carter, and Refsnyder. Yes, Chris Carter is back on the active roster.

V:

Also, Girardi once again is infuriating with his lineups. Andujar had 3 hits and 4 RBIs last night, so of course today he's on the bench. The backup catcher is playing 1st base for the 3rd day in a row, and 4 of the last 5.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The current lineup sheet has 26 names on it, so who the hell knows what's going on.

Rumor has it Williams was DFA'd to open a spot on the 40-man though, which means Carter probably is actually back. I assume a bullpen arm is getting sent down and Bird is going to the 60-day to free up the second spot.

I do not expect Williams to make it through waivers.

EDIT: I would assume Carter will be the starting 1B and Romine will be on the bench tonight. Not entirely sure the point in calling up Fowler though, I guess they don't trust Refs in the OF?

EDIT2: From reading our posts about the Yankees roster you would assume they were in dead last :v:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 29, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't understood the Yankee roster and lineups for weeks now and I've kind of given up trying.

I don't think Yankee fans hate Gardner but they definitely under appreciate him. He was never really hyped up as a prospect and was billed as one of a long line of OF fillins and he just kind of settled into a role as a starter. Yankee fans seemed like they spent a long time waiting for the bottom to fall out and when it never did they just got used to him and didn't think anything of it. Its weird. He's a bit of a fan favorite but in the way fans pull for the 4th OFer or utility guy.

And its Yankee fans who grew up under Steinbrennar so they want a superstar at every position.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess his powers were tied to Turner Field after all

Inspector_666 posted:

This thread title just got too real on too many levels.

Life comes at you fast :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think Yankee fans hate Gardner but they definitely under appreciate him. He was never really hyped up as a prospect and was billed as one of a long line of OF fillins and he just kind of settled into a role as a starter. Yankee fans seemed like they spent a long time waiting for the bottom to fall out and when it never did they just got used to him and didn't think anything of it. Its weird. He's a bit of a fan favorite but in the way fans pull for the 4th OFer or utility guy.

And its Yankee fans who grew up under Steinbrennar so they want a superstar at every position.

Yeah, my view on the opinion on Gardner is probably skewed by my time on Twitter/comment sections for a couple Yankee blogs. I personally love the dude, my initial post was in reaction to one of the Yankees beat reportes on Twitter actually, saying he saw a lot of negative reaction to the Fowler-Gardner comp.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MLB.TV is $10 for the next 50 minutes fyi

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

I only used it for Astros games since I cut the cord so since I can't VPN anymore I really can't be bothered to care

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'll get $10 out of the audio alone. But I thought they announced some deal this offseason or last where you could authenticate with a TV provider for in-market games, and I'm not seeing that option? I can do that with the Fox Sports app too, but it blows and I was hoping the MLB one would work better (they're supposed to be the brains behind a lot of good streaming providers, aren't they?)

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

The current lineup sheet has 26 names on it, so who the hell knows what's going on.

Rumor has it Williams was DFA'd to open a spot on the 40-man though, which means Carter probably is actually back. I assume a bullpen arm is getting sent down and Bird is going to the 60-day to free up the second spot.

I do not expect Williams to make it through waivers.

EDIT: I would assume Carter will be the starting 1B and Romine will be on the bench tonight. Not entirely sure the point in calling up Fowler though, I guess they don't trust Refs in the OF?

EDIT2: From reading our posts about the Yankees roster you would assume they were in dead last :v:

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/880558780152500229

Guess they think Andujar still needs to work on his defense if they're not comfortable playing him every day at third.

Edit: I guess I would have preferred that they option Refs instead. Guy can't play good defense at any position and he hasn't shown the ability to hit. I don't know what his role on the team is other than being Aaron Judge's friend. Williams at least plays decent defense and can pinch run.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 30, 2017

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Michael Fulmer until today featured four pitches: 2-seamer, 4-seamer, change, slider. MLB career 252 IP 3.14 ERA with them.
Now he's added a curve to be even more unfair to hitters:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/880511210785058816

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

sorry, trea :(

no malice meant

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Intruder posted:

I only used it for Astros games since I cut the cord so since I can't VPN anymore I really can't be bothered to care

Is it not possible at all anymore? I used one last year and it was flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ragle posted:

Michael Fulmer until today featured four pitches: 2-seamer, 4-seamer, change, slider. MLB career 252 IP 3.14 ERA with them.
Now he's added a curve to be even more unfair to hitters:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/880511210785058816

This must be so annoying if you're a hitter, like you spend time during the week preparing by watching tape and then the pitcher pulls some tomfoolery like a brand new pitch out of his back pocket

• Locked thread