Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

I guess that will save me the split second it takes to squirt sauce in the can (over the sink) (in my underpants)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Wouldn't the Tapatio more fully permeate the dine if it was packed in the can in it? I never get my dines packed in hot sauce so I can merely speculate.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Yeah I'm pretty excited about this, hot sauce dines always have a little deeper flavor than just adding hot sauce to dines.

Does anyone know when TJ's is bringing back the Harissa sardines? I was talking about sardines with an employee during checkout, and they also mentioned their love for the Harissa ones - and that they are coming back at some point. I just don't know when that'll be.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I've never had dines with hot sauce but those KO Spanish Style (chili pepper & olive oil) were legit the best I've ever had. Wish they carried them local; only got to try them from my royal taster kit gift.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I prefer anchovies myself

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So in a TVIV thread, the subject of the delicious canned meat SPAM was brought up and I learned that SPAM wusubi is a thing. I also learned that SPAM now comes in a variety of flavors including turkey and Teriyaki.

It ain't fish, but it IS in a can and IS a Dad food so let's discuss......

How do you like your salty canned meat? I'm a Dad of simple tastes and my fridge is almost always empty, what with having 5 goddamn kids and all, so I never have anything to make it special. I just fry it and eat it over the sink while fuming and wondering where my loving 17 year old put my car keys.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

I've never had dines with hot sauce but those KO Spanish Style (chili pepper & olive oil) were legit the best I've ever had. Wish they carried them local; only got to try them from my royal taster kit gift.

Look for Mediterranean style also. Owns bones.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Look for Mediterranean style also. Owns bones.
I've had them, they're my 2nd favorite. Spanish Style just tasted waaay...fresher?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Interesting. I will have to try them if I ever find them. It is generally good to always defer to Spanish-style food, though. Boquerones aren't sardines, but I dream about them.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

So in a TVIV thread, the subject of the delicious canned meat SPAM was brought up and I learned that SPAM wusubi is a thing. I also learned that SPAM now comes in a variety of flavors including turkey and Teriyaki.

It ain't fish, but it IS in a can and IS a Dad food so let's discuss......

How do you like your salty canned meat? I'm a Dad of simple tastes and my fridge is almost always empty, what with having 5 goddamn kids and all, so I never have anything to make it special. I just fry it and eat it over the sink while fuming and wondering where my loving 17 year old put my car keys.

I like my spam cut into thin slices and fried. I then cook two eggs over easy in the grease and eat them over toast.

Also grilled spam and cheese sandwiches are good.

Harissa dines are good, but the black pepper ones are my personal favorite.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
P. sure the only people who really like spam musubi are people who grew up in Hawaii before maybe 1960 or so. IME anyone younger than that only pretends to like it out of secondhand nostalgia.

edit: Also lol if you don't already know what sardines with tapatio tastes like.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 30, 2017

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

withak posted:

P. sure the only people who really like spam musubi are people who grew up in Hawaii before maybe 1960 or so. IME anyone younger than that only pretends to like it out of secondhand nostalgia.

Whaaat? If you like sushi, it's pretty good. :colbert: I made a batch for a summer BBQ potluck once, but started second-guessing myself​ because I was worried people would think it was weird. It was too late to make something else, so I said gently caress it and brought it anyway. It was gone in 15 minutes and people were asking why I didn't make more :shrug:
Trigger warning, I guess: I like to make mine with pineapple to cut the saltiness.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

withak posted:

:frogout:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

withak posted:

edit: Also lol if you don't already know what sardines with tapatio tastes like.

I switched to Valentina as my Mexican hot sauce of choice at home. It's cheaper and tastes about the same.

Just interested in what dines marinated in a tin can under high pressure tastes like, my man.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just interested in what dines marinated in a tin can under high pressure tastes like, my man.

This is the point. "Packed in" is significantly different from "sprinkled on."

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

cocoavalley posted:

Whaaat? If you like sushi, it's pretty good. :colbert: I made a batch for a summer BBQ potluck once, but started second-guessing myself​ because I was worried people would think it was weird. It was too late to make something else, so I said gently caress it and brought it anyway. It was gone in 15 minutes and people were asking why I didn't make more :shrug:
Trigger warning, I guess: I like to make mine with pineapple to cut the saltiness.

:eyepop: jesus christ

naem
May 29, 2011

I always keep some of those plastic lime juice squeezy bottles in my fridge to squirt on various food items, works great for fish

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax

cocoavalley posted:

I would eat these all in one sitting.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

cocoavalley posted:

godDAMN those look delicious. What's your recipe? What's in those on the right that have no Spam in them... bigger chunks of pineapple?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think SPAM is okay, but my canned meat of choice is corned beef. I remember taking a family trip down to Disney World from our home in Northern Maine & to save :10bux: we brought the rice cooker so that we could eat rice & corned beef in the hotel instead of spending money at restaurants.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

naem posted:

I always keep some of those plastic lime juice squeezy bottles in my fridge to squirt on various food items, works great for fish

Come on, man. A real dad has a lime tree or at the very least he cuts a fresh lime with his crusty pocket knife. Bonus dad points for using half your lime for food and the other half in your G&T.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

pahuyuth posted:

godDAMN those look delicious. What's your recipe? What's in those on the right that have no Spam in them... bigger chunks of pineapple?

Thanks :) The ones on the right are tamagoyaki. As for the spam musubi recipe...

(I keep the sauce recipe taped to the spam can that I use to form the musubi)

Mix together:
¼ c soy sauce
¼ c mirin
2 tbsp honey

For the rest:
A can of Spam (save the can to use for forming the block of rice)
Ziploc bag
A batch of sushi rice prepared (probably about 3 cups of cooked rice, I add sushi vinegar, but I don't think that's typical)
3-4 sheets of nori cut in half
furikake
Fresh pineapple sliced ¼" thick

Slice up the spam into 6-8 slabs and brown both sides

Pour in the sauce and cook it for a few minutes til it thickens

To help form the musubi, I cut a sandwich bag open and make a long strip the width of the Spam can. Line the can with the strip, leaving the ends hanging out (sorry, I don't have a picture of this but the next photo should help make sense of it)

Layer in the plastic-lined can:
rice
furikake (a tsp or so)
spam
a little extra sauce
pineapple slice
rice

Fold over one end of the plastic and press down with the back of a spoon to compress. Pull the plastic sling out with the musubi.

Wrap in a piece of nori and it's done!

(For the potluck I sliced each one into four pieces, but usually it's served whole.)

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Oooh, that looks like a must-try. Thank you for the instructions!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Mirin indeed

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That spamsushi ain't lookin half bad

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
🍣 🐖👍

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I made that spam sushi tonight but had it all rolled up before I remembered the pineapple.

Rolling sushi was a lot easier than people make it sound (this was my first time). Will try again. Would have been a lot better with the pineapple.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I make Linguine and Sardine sauce once a week (Rao's Marinara). I like Crown Prince the best (my local place doesn't have King Oscar). Pro-tip: Sprinkle Italian bread crumbs on top

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

cocoavalley posted:

Thanks :) The ones on the right are tamagoyaki. As for the spam musubi recipe...

(I keep the sauce recipe taped to the spam can that I use to form the musubi)

Mix together:
¼ c soy sauce
¼ c mirin
2 tbsp honey

For the rest:
A can of Spam (save the can to use for forming the block of rice)
Ziploc bag
A batch of sushi rice prepared (probably about 3 cups of cooked rice, I add sushi vinegar, but I don't think that's typical)
3-4 sheets of nori cut in half
furikake
Fresh pineapple sliced ¼" thick

Slice up the spam into 6-8 slabs and brown both sides

Pour in the sauce and cook it for a few minutes til it thickens

To help form the musubi, I cut a sandwich bag open and make a long strip the width of the Spam can. Line the can with the strip, leaving the ends hanging out (sorry, I don't have a picture of this but the next photo should help make sense of it)

Layer in the plastic-lined can:
rice
furikake (a tsp or so)
spam
a little extra sauce
pineapple slice
rice

Fold over one end of the plastic and press down with the back of a spoon to compress. Pull the plastic sling out with the musubi.

Wrap in a piece of nori and it's done!

(For the potluck I sliced each one into four pieces, but usually it's served whole.)

:eyepop: ty for sharing

I think I have a coupon for spam somewhere :getin:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNiyzBEMUYM

Sardines in the last 5 minutes or so.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Thinking of making a toasted sardine sub. Sauteed with garlic, onions, sweet peppers and slathered on a loaf of garlic bread with parm. That sound good?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Latest haul from Old Country Sausage up in NE Portland. It's a German market/restaurant and they have a small deli there too. I stopped by because I was across the street at Parkrose Hardware buying some specialty nuts & bolts.

Weisswurst from their restaurant section.

Sheep sausage for a friend's birthday party. Pretty tasty, where the sausage seasoning spices are what hits you first, then you're left with that nice lamb aftertaste.

naem
May 29, 2011

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

King Oscar had a contest on Facebook where all you had to do was post what you were doing for 4th of July to be entered. I said making burgers and won an ~independent spirit~ prize. Here's hoping for something cool!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I just got the wife into 'chovies on pizza. On our honeymoon. In Hong Kong. Life owns.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

how are 'chovies on cheap american pizzas? Domino's, Little Caesar's, Hungry Howie's Papa John's, etc etc. I like quality anchovies like the ones KO sells but I've assumed what pizza places use are somewhat different

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

how are 'chovies on cheap american pizzas? Domino's, Little Caesar's, Hungry Howie's Papa John's, etc etc. I like quality anchovies like the ones KO sells but I've assumed what pizza places use are somewhat different

Yeah, unless it's a small mom and pop of some repute, the anchovies will probably suck. Solution: keep your own on hand for pizza night.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I described fisherman's eggs to my gf and she told me she threw up a little in her mouth.

Honestly that makes me a happy because it means I run no risk of having to share my dines in the future

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm not allowed to eat them in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

My wife introduced me to sardines, so we pretty much always keep some on hand.