Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Merle's daughter wasn't biologically his, right? She was from his wife's previous marriage? I'm trying to suss out how long it was between Lucretia blocking the IPRE's memories and the present. I'm guessing around a decade.

I seem to remember Lucretia mentioning that the Bureau had only been in operation for about a year before the boys joined, because they criticised her for only having one relic of the seven? I may be wrong. Also she coulda been lying, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Build-a-Boar posted:

I seem to remember Lucretia mentioning that the Bureau had only been in operation for about a year before the boys joined, because they criticised her for only having one relic of the seven? I may be wrong. Also she coulda been lying, I guess.

I thought she mentioned that she tried other methods (like going after the relics herself) before forming the BoB.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Who What Now posted:

It was a great line, but it didn't take a stroke of genius to see what Griffin was setting up when he had done a nearly identical scene with Merle less than five minutes prior.

In fairness if he had done Taako first Justin probably wouldn't have known to nail that line like he did.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Asiina posted:

Yeah that was a little awkward. He obviously was hoping for an emotion from them and when they didn't give it he doubled down on it in a way that made the difference in mood feel pretty weird.

Justin did reference the best part of Twin Peaks though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U4KHA-VUw8

Asiina posted:

I'd need to listen to it again but I always took it as like Altair from Asscreed Revelations, in that she sat there guarding the gauntlet until she died.

I think Griffin said the staff works by absorbing "defeated" magic, so the assumption is someone killed her. And her note said "Back soon".

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

"Who?" was an amazing moment, as was recounting Lucretia's adventures. I was definitely also expecting a final Lup scene, though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Soup du Jour posted:

"Who?" was an amazing moment, as was recounting Lucretia's adventures. I was definitely also expecting a final Lup scene, though.

I imagine it'll come at some point during the finale when she's revived or freed from the staff or whatever ends up happening with her.

He's definitely not leaving it at that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man Stolen Century had some hits and misses for me but boy did it validate everything with that last bit

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I actually think the whole show just works better on a tighter schedule. The only arc that I've disliked was Wonderland, and that was the arc that I listened to in real time. I was catching up before Wonderland and then this one I didn't start listening until after episode 5 came out and listened to one every few days and just caught up today in time to listen to the end of the arc.

We'll see what happens with whatever new campaign they land on, but I think if I find myself not liking it, and it ends up with the same arc based structure, I may just wait and listen to an entire arc at once as if it was a season of a show I was watching on Netflix.

It's not like the McElroys don't put out enough other content to keep my podcast dance card full.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Griffin goddamn McElroy.

Anyway, there's a MBMBaM bit I was hoping someone could identify for me. One time Griffin got it into his head that it would be funny if they created reverse songs; songs with each word in the title changed to its opposite. It was obvious that the others weren't feeling it when he asked them for suggestions. Instead of just making fun of his weird skit, Justin trolled Griffin by feeding him a song title that was already reversed, and Griffin walked right into it. It turned a bad bit into an absolute slam dunk. Does anyone remember what episode that was?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The Lucretia flashbacks, knowing she did what she did out of a sense of desperation and sorrow, was really loving impactful for me. Even through the stolen century I got the impression she would try to be a brave hero in the end, but Griffin did it in such a way that every word Lucretia has said is now weighted by the truth.

But why did Lucretia brainwash everybody and send them to a planet engulfed in constant wars instead of just flying away and resetting on the next world where they could try the shield thing? Why fight the hunger right now on this world?

elkaline
Mar 2, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But why did Lucretia brainwash everybody and send them to a planet engulfed in constant wars instead of just flying away and resetting on the next world where they could try the shield thing? Why fight the hunger right now on this world?

They can only leave a world during the space wobbliness caused by the Hunger arriving. Once they split the light of creation into the relics they hid the world from the Hunger, so it never arrived. Lucretia gathering the relics seems to have allowed the Hunger to find them again. They could now bail in the Starblaster but they have decades of attachment to the world instead of just a year to make them want to stay and fight. Lucretia may be in a position to try the shield now she has all the relics though.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

inthesto posted:

I just started the latest episode and of course Magnus, the character who's far and away most dependent on having magical items, has the least assets and therefore ability to make magical items. It's doubly hilarious that even Clint picks up on this.

he still has the super sword in the present time line right?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, the ending of that TAZ had me grinning from ear to ear. I'm so excited for the final arc, and I can't wait to see what they do for their next game (I'm hoping for some sci-fi).

Serf
May 5, 2011

I finally finished the latest episode and holy poo poo. Stolen Century was mostly fine, with a lot of on-rails stuff, but holy poo poo did Griffin clinch it in the end with that last episode. It was pretty good before the break, but the stuff that comes after is some of the best Adventure Zone material ever.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I can't believe this dingdong podcast written by a total amateur to dramatic storytelling is better written than 80 percent of the pop culture I enjoy :allears:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Someone please tell me I wasn't the only one to tear up during this episode. :saddowns:

(Other than the MUH FEELS LITERALLY SOBBING people.)

e:

Solaris Knight posted:

I can't believe this dingdong podcast written by a total amateur to dramatic storytelling is better written than 80 percent of the pop culture I enjoy :allears:
Pretty much everything else would have just had Lucretia collecting the relics in order to gain power and be a final boss.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 30, 2017

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

Someone please tell me I wasn't the only one to tear up during this episode. :saddowns:

(Other than the MUH FEELS LITERALLY SOBBING people.)

Oh yeah, no, me too. I get easily emotional during media, though.

Also, c'mon, Lucretia. On his BIRTHDAY?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Listening back on some Lunar Interludes and the nonchalant irreverence the THB have when talking to Lucretia is just so different in this light. They lived through 100 years of worlds getting wrecked, people getting killed, not being able to make relationships outside of their crew (save for Fisher). From the press conference where they were cracking jokes to Faerun they changed into very serious and almost detached characters. Then they forget 100 years of dying, strife, suffering, and destruction, and they're back in front of Lucretia goofing off and cracking jokes again.

It's really weird listening to them goof around through Lucretia's point of view where she must feel that what she did was worth it in some way, to see them happy again.

But most importantly, the entire thing both makes sense and works as a dramatic story. It all fits, and that's incredible for 70 hours of content. I don't think I've seen a show that's been this cohesive with the plot.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This episode, the end to Petals to the Metal and various points in 11th Hour caused me to tear up a bit. "You're going to be amazing" was the worst until that loving "Who?".

I'm glad he spends so much time and effort on the editing of these, the static was absolutely chilling and extremely well done.

Lucretia's character is amazing and Griffin did a superb job of writing a character that betrayed, but leaves you feeling like she did it for genuine and good reasons. I'm floored by her characterisation being that she couldn't stand to see the effect the relic wars were having on everybody and she wanted to help them. It could have just been her being angry that Lup and Barry's plan was chosen over hers, but it was much better than that. Although, when she made the decision to feed the journal to Fisher she knew Lup was missing and if she weren't already dead she would have been left with amnesia and wandering alone somewhere, and that would've been Lucretia's fault. I wonder if she tried looking for her.

Build-a-Boar fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 30, 2017

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Asiina posted:

I imagine it'll come at some point during the finale when she's revived or freed from the staff or whatever ends up happening with her.

He's definitely not leaving it at that.

Someone on reddit pointed out that Lup made the Phoenix Fire gauntlet, and hey, guess what phoenixes are known for doing when it seems like they're gone

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's very loosely related the McElroys, but the Polygon show is really fun and chill. It's vaguely segmented into discussion of recent games, then an informal Q&A / letters session. The most recent episodes touches on which characters would you wrestle, keep as a pet or ride to work and the question of "what is centaur meat like?" and "how many ribcages do they have?"

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Someone on reddit pointed out that Lup made the Phoenix Fire gauntlet, and hey, guess what phoenixes are known for doing when it seems like they're gone

Well Lup isn't exactly gone, she's been hiding in her goofy twin's goofy staff for almost a decade.

That moment with Davenport's magical lobotomy was hard to hear for me, as was Taako forgetting his sister. Lucretia done did them Red Robes dirty. She may have been well intentioned, but the execution was horribly botched.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Build-a-Boar posted:

This episode, the end to Petals to the Metal and various points in 11th Hour caused me to tear up a bit. "You're going to be amazing" was the worst until that loving "Who?".

I'm glad he spends so much time and effort on the editing of these, the static was absolutely chilling and extremely well done.

Lucretia's character is amazing and Griffin did a superb job of writing a character that betrayed, but leaves you feeling like she did it for genuine and good reasons. I'm floored by her characterisation being that she couldn't stand to see the effect the relic wars were having on everybody and she wanted to help them. It could have just been her being angry that Lup and Barry's plan was chosen over hers, but it was much better than that. Although, when she made the decision to feed the journal to Fisher she knew Lup was missing and if she weren't already dead she would have been left with amnesia and wandering alone somewhere, and that would've been Lucretia's fault. I wonder if she tried looking for her.
Oh yeah, those were the other moments that got me too. Petals to the Metal legit made me cry, not just tear up, I think because I was taken by surprise at how much this silly podcast made me feel.

Also definitely agree with your spoilertext, and I think Griffin did explicitly say that Lucretia looked for Lup for a long time but couldn't find her?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh yeah, those were the other moments that got me too. Petals to the Metal legit made me cry, not just tear up, I think because I was taken by surprise at how much this silly podcast made me feel.

Also definitely agree with your spoilertext, and I think Griffin did explicitly say that Lucretia looked for Lup for a long time but couldn't find her?

Something like, "In what little free time I had, I searched for he but found nothing".

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I hate getting so far behind in TAZ because for a weak after Right Thursday all the spoilers in this thread makes it look like a classified document. It looks super funny though.

I have some free time this week though so I'll catch up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
for some reason Taako snapping and talking about how he just saw people as dust now hit me hardest of anything in the episode, maybe because of just how rarely we see him take anything seriously

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, this episode got to me and I'm am ready for the end.

And Takko and Barry's scene in the end was just heart breaking. I'm shocked Justin doesn't wanna DM after that, he seriously is good at this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I can see why Justin wouldn't want to DM though, he seems infinitely more comfortable in a reactive setting than a creative one.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

kidcoelacanth posted:

I can see why Justin wouldn't want to DM though, he seems infinitely more comfortable in a reactive setting than a creative one.

Justin's good out here

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I am just blasting through the Suffering Game and Lunar interludes and now I'm about to start the Stolen Century and goddamn, these storylines are so good.

I am feeling so many feelings!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Latest episode courtesy spoilers since the person above me is not caught up:

I'm really curious to see how Taako reacts to suddenly remembering all of this new information. Can't imagine he'll be too pleased with Lucretia for making him forget his sister. He was pretty hostile towards Magnus once he found out about his sneaking around the BoB and lying about it.

Magnus will probably forgive her because her actions allowed him to meet Julia and because he's kind of a softie like that. And Merle probably won't give a poo poo - he'll probably go with whomever has a more convincing argument.

I predict that we'll see some tension and conflict between THB next episode, but honestly, with the Hunger standing in the room with them right now, maybe there won't time for any finger pointing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Build-a-Boar posted:

If Gundren Rockseeker's dad (I forget his name) or.. christ, Magic Brian beat Lup, I'm gonna flip a table. I love Magic Brian. Don't do me dirty like that, Brian. Gonna guess Lup didn't assume the umbra staff could turn on her too.
Really amused by Justin's quiet 'gently caress you' when Griffin reveals Lup has the staff.

I'm pumped for the finalé. PUMPED!!

I assume once she started forgetting she killed herself with the staff and then it ate her.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KoB posted:

I assume once she started forgetting she killed herself with the staff and then it ate her.

Holy poo poo yeah that makes the most sense of anything I've read so far

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

One thing that I like about the latest episode is that it showed off Barry's brains. Taako and Lup got sent on the expedition as magical researchers because they were the best in their respective fields, and that's a fact we've seen proven. The fact that Barry was sent as a scientist, with no other specialties, indicates that he must have been one of the smartest people on his planet. We never really got to see that until now.

When Fisher's erasure hit everyone else, they just became more and more confused until they passed out. Barry, on the other hand, was able to deduce exactly what was happening to him and find a solution before it was too late. He was begging Taako to kill him while Taako was still trying to figure out what the map was for.

That Barry moment was also some top notch acting on Griffin's part.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

timp posted:

One thing I couldn't help but notice, a little nitpick on the flow of the episode that's nobody's fault really: THB did not really seem to feel the sadness during the 1 Year Party the way Griffin was hoping they would. I think defining it as a "party" may have been a misstep. Merle and Taako both had light, somewhat flippant things to say that got immediately stonewalled by Griffin's NPCs.

It kind of worked for me because it felt like the entire century-long journey had warped THB so much that they've become so disconnected from reality and Lup, Barry and Lucretia are a little horrified by it. Like "oh god what kind of monsters have we become?"

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah the bit with Merle wanting to dance definitely felt like he was deep in denial about the whole thing and trying to do anything but think about it. Man this was a great episode. Really happy how it's all tied back into the main story. I'd worried at the start of this arc with how we'd known the rough outline of what had to happen some of it would be a bit rote (we knew there'd be a voidfish, relics, and forgetting) but the stuff they came up with to fill the gaps in really worked well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh god

https://youtu.be/J0pH4RCCMdM

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

"we got a mid-2000 era blogger" ahaha

Blasmeister posted:

Yeah the bit with Merle wanting to dance definitely felt like he was deep in denial about the whole thing and trying to do anything but think about it. Man this was a great episode. Really happy how it's all tied back into the main story. I'd worried at the start of this arc with how we'd known the rough outline of what had to happen some of it would be a bit rote (we knew there'd be a voidfish, relics, and forgetting) but the stuff they came up with to fill the gaps in really worked well.

The weird thing is that destroying Fandolin was a big deal, but it now seems like cities got glassed before plenty of times

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

SoupyTwist posted:

The weird thing is that destroying Fandolin was a big deal, but it now seems like cities got glassed before plenty of times

Yeah, so that sort of raises a question. The voidfish eliminates an idea or memory completely from existence, so that means that the whole planet has forgotten the relic wars, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

So anyone have the timestamp when Davenport's card game to magical lobotomy starts and ends? I have a friend who heard about that and doesn't want anything to do with it.