Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Where do you get the Phantom Knight armour? That's pretty much the only DLC costume that I care about.

All the costume pieces are scattered in chests across Hyrule Field (except the Korok Mask).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Once you install the DLC, it unlocks sidequests that breadcrumb you quite nicely. The new armor starts at Outpost Ruins, where you get hints about the locations of all the armor, which are buried in treasure chests throughout the Central Hyrule region. If you want to find them more easily, use the Sheikah Sensor tuned to treasure chests.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Beat the first part of the trials.

They are definitely no cake walk, but I hear they can cheesed through use of certain defensive foods eaten before you start.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is master mode more than "damage sponge mode". I just started a new game and i haven't even done the first shrine yet, so it's nbd for me to start over. But I kind of don't want to if it's just "way more HP for everything" mode, that sounds frustrating

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I've just been watching my Hero's path this morning. It starts just before I went after Divine Beast Van Ruta, and remembering each significant step I took,

"Oh, yeah, that's when I was trying to light the furnace at the Akkala Science Lab. "

"That's when I found the first building at Tarry Town."

"Heh, my first attempt to climb Akkala tower."

I'm probably going to watch it at least until I beat the game for the first time before taking a run at the Trial of the Sword.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 30, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Crawfish posted:

Beat the first part of the trials.

They are definitely no cake walk, but I hear they can cheesed through use of certain defensive foods eaten before you start.

Buffs already applied carry over, so the "correct" solution is to eat a 30 minute attack/defence food right before starting.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Im retarded. How do I download it? I got the expansion pass as part of the console bundle, so I should have access to all the DLC but I dont see where to activate it? I can go to DLC on the main menu but it only shows the thing with the 4 chests on the Great Plateau.
I can see it in the eshop if I follow the link the news thing posts, but it just says I've already purchased it but doesnt give me an option to download it. It says releasing the 30th, so maybe it's not out for me yet?

Nevermind, like I said, Im retarded so I guess I just have to manually update it. Im used to the 3DS where it bugs you about updating it every time you try to open it. I dont mind but for DLC I kinda wish it was like "Hey you have access to this stuff, do you want to download it?"

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 30, 2017

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Buffs already applied carry over, so the "correct" solution is to eat a 30 minute attack/defence food right before starting.
That's what I went with for the middle and final trials, yeah.

Man those final trials though....

I hope anyone interested in finishing them knows how to parry lasers. And how to take advantage of Hearty Ingredients. And how elemental weapon advantages work. And the correct time and place to use Ancient Arrows. And the safest way to take down Flying Guardians.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Welp. Master Mode is actually hella difficult but not in a good way. Started a new game and after talking to the Old Man, you fight a blue Bokoblin. No sweat right? I can flurry rush every attack but all I have are tree branches. The health regen kicks in after about 2 seconds of not striking a target and I realized very quickly that I will run out of weapon durability before I kill the thing and it will all be for naught because it will regen all the damage I did to it.

Basically, to get off the plateau I'm going to have stealth it because even if I can dodge everything, I have no damage output. The game didn't scale the weapons up so trying to kill blue enemies with Boko Clubs and Bows is going to be an exercise in patience/futility. I'm curious if the previously blue bokoblins on the plateau will be black. Or if the Stone Talus will be a Lynel or something. There's hard but this feels tediously hard.

It's probably not wise to make a judgement call from the first 5 minutes of a new game but you're up against a wall from the moment you start.

tl;dr, ALL enemies regen health now after a few seconds of not being hit, perhaps around 1% HP/sec.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kinda lame that the DLC armor is all located rather centrally on the map. I was expecting to have to travel to some weird far-reaching places to track stuff down. Also lame that you can't upgrade them. Phantom Armor looks awesome but the defense sucks.

Love the hero's path though, there are still quite a few large areas I haven't set foot in even though I'm 120+ hours into the game which blows my mind.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Grab the axe. Use the environment on the plateau. Get off plateau. Kill dudes flying around on platforms for better weapons.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Crawfish posted:

That's what I went with for the middle and final trials, yeah.

Man those final trials though....

I hope anyone interested in finishing them knows how to parry lasers. And how to take advantage of Hearty Ingredients. And how elemental weapon advantages work. And the correct time and place to use Ancient Arrows. And the safest way to take down Flying Guardians.

The last couple of rooms felt very phoned in. I think a lot of the people who play this game fall towards either extreme of "avoid the guardians forever until you can hack them to death with the right weapon" and "lol I'm 30 seconds off the plateau and killing guardians with a pot lid". For the latter, the last rooms make the entire thing go from "this is interesting" to "I did this naked with three hearts 60 hours ago"; and for the former the last rooms are just straight bullshit.

Barring that the rest of it was fun though. I liked the effective premise of making it all into a combat puzzle game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

FooF posted:

tl;dr, ALL enemies regen health now after a few seconds of not being hit, perhaps around 1% HP/sec.

Just don't fight him. Don't fight anything that's not directly between you and something you want. Enemies don't actually pursue very far from their spawn point. And also, the game is really open, you can simply go around just about every encounter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Amppelix posted:

Just don't fight him. Don't fight anything that's not directly between you and something you want. Enemies don't actually pursue very far from their spawn point. And also, the game is really open, you can simply go around just about every encounter.

Entirely defeating the purpose of hard mode........

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How does waiting until you have the proper equipment to fight something defeat the purpose of hard mode? I'm pretty sure the purpose of hard mode is to make the game hard, not force you to fight every single enemy you encounter the second you see them.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

RCarr posted:

How does waiting until you have the proper equipment to fight something defeat the purpose of hard mode? I'm pretty sure the purpose of hard mode is to make the game hard, not force you to fight every single enemy you encounter the second you see them.

I think it's just not what people expected. Perhaps people thought, "Hard mode? Maybe that will give enemies new and different attacks that make you have to think harder in fights". It's not what NIntendo said at all so you shouldn't expect it, but I don't fault people for wanting that.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Ventana posted:

I think it's just not what people expected. Perhaps people thought, "Hard mode? Maybe that will give enemies new and different attacks that make you have to think harder in fights". It's not what NIntendo said at all so you shouldn't expect it, but I don't fault people for wanting that.

Restructuring the A.I. of every enemy in the game is a much bigger project than would be possible for DLC that comes out 4 months after release.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The difficulty curve got inverted, that's all. The beginning will be the hardest part of the game because once you get equipment and proper weapons, you won't have to run from everything.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ventana posted:

I totally agree. I was responding to the poster that said "Not fighting this enemy the second you see him is entirely defeating the purpose of hard mode", because that's a pretty stupid statement.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm having a tough enough time in the plateau just trying to pick my battles and winning anything with the crap weapons. That travelers claymore from one of the shrines had perfect damage for killing bokoblins in one sneak attack so that's how I've been saving on durability mostly. Fighting absolutely everything would probably be functionally impossible.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

FooF posted:

Welp. Master Mode is actually hella difficult but not in a good way. Started a new game and after talking to the Old Man, you fight a blue Bokoblin. No sweat right? I can flurry rush every attack but all I have are tree branches. The health regen kicks in after about 2 seconds of not striking a target and I realized very quickly that I will run out of weapon durability before I kill the thing and it will all be for naught because it will regen all the damage I did to it.

Basically, to get off the plateau I'm going to have stealth it because even if I can dodge everything, I have no damage output. The game didn't scale the weapons up so trying to kill blue enemies with Boko Clubs and Bows is going to be an exercise in patience/futility. I'm curious if the previously blue bokoblins on the plateau will be black. Or if the Stone Talus will be a Lynel or something. There's hard but this feels tediously hard.

It's probably not wise to make a judgement call from the first 5 minutes of a new game but you're up against a wall from the moment you start.

Yeah master mode is fun but also frustrating and challenging in a weird way. You cant fight everything because your weapons will break after one dude. It's fun to have to pick your battles and use a bit more strategy, ingredients and potions are actually useful, but it's really frustrating to break like 2 or 3 good weapons in a big battle with 3 or 4 guys. Like, it would be the perfect mode if they also doubled the durability of the weapons.

In a way, you could be running short on equipment, especially arrows, in the regular game, and that's just even worse here. Like Im pretty routinely running low on equipment and the only way to get more is to fight enemies, or just rush through their camps and try not to get hit and get their weapons before they do.

Or maybe if they made like "master mode" potions where you could get two effects? I was doing the mountain dungeon before getting the warm clothes and there was an enemy camp with a regular chest but all the dudes were asleep so I snuck up to the camp and snuck out the chest, but I was using a warmth potion and was wishing I could use a stealth potion on top of it.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 30, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ComposerGuy posted:

Restructuring the A.I. of every enemy in the game is a much bigger project than would be possible for DLC that comes out 4 months after release.

Joke Answer: The game doesn't have a lot of enemies in the first place so it'd be easy :downs:

But yeah it'd be difficult. Not only the AI, but they'd probably have to make new animations too. These things would take time.

RCarr posted:

I totally agree. I was responding to the poster that said "Not fighting this enemy the second you see him is entirely defeating the purpose of hard mode", because that's a pretty stupid statement.

Yeah I know. To put it in another way, I think it's because hard mode (from what people are saying) sounds like a challenge of resources rather than execution. Which some people may not have expected, even if it is still a valid hard mode style.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Tip for final trials:grab the rusty weapons at the beginning. you can throw them into the mouth of an octorok later to get better weapons. I got a Royal Claymore out of the deal.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Devoyniche posted:

Like Im pretty routinely running low on equipment and the only way to get more is to fight enemies, or just rush through their camps and try not to get hit and get their weapons before they do.

Fight smarter, not harder.

Camp until night time and steal those weapons without having to fight anybody.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Astro7x posted:

Fight smarter, not harder.

Camp until night time and steal those weapons without having to fight anybody.

You can also shield parry to knock enemy weapons out of their hands.

More tips for the Final Trials, and the Sword Trials in general: set your Sheikah Sensor to look for treasure chests. There are many hidden throughout the trial rooms. The final trials, in particular, have a total of 9 Ancient Arrows you can find; enough to erase every non-stationary Guardian and both Lynels those trials contain. With my bounty of Ancient Arrows, the last set of trials was a cinch.

One benefit of the fully awakened Master Sword that the game doesn't highlight, but is still pretty cool; infinite sword beams! Sword beams don't use durability when the Master Sword is glowing. This was actually true in the base game as well; I discovered it by accident while trying to get the "badly damaged" sword to break inside a dungeon so it could start recharging and hopefully be back before the boss. No matter how many beams I shot, the drat thing just wouldn't break. Eventually, I broke it with a couple of jump attacks.

I just tested it with the awakened sword, and it's still true; I've shot five beams, and the sword icon still has that Brand New sparkle on the inventory screen. If nothing else, it makes cutting huge swaths of grass easier than ever. :haw:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Fighting stuff and ending every fight with less than I started was very frustrating until I remembered this isn't a JRPG/MMO and I can just avoid things. Now I save all my resources for stuff like assaulting goblin cookpots and it's much better. The difficulty will probably still drop off a cliff in the lategame but it's definitely changed how I approach the world which is all I really wanted out of it.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 30, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I tried jumping on the platform guys near the magnesis shrine, got one shot with an arrow after they floated out of my reach. Master mode is making me approach things very differently and I'm really liking how it shakes things up so far.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Frankston posted:

Kinda lame that the DLC armor is all located rather centrally on the map. I was expecting to have to travel to some weird far-reaching places to track stuff down. Also lame that you can't upgrade them. Phantom Armor looks awesome but the defense sucks.

Think of them as a single sidequest in the Central Hyrule region. I decided to do all of them without warping. Used a horse instead.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

I don't know if this has been posted before but I found it pretty interesting. A lot of cool details in the game that I had never noticed.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/846743400686800897

( I can't figure out how to embed things from twitter.. :confused: )

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How long did it take everyone to beat the Sword Trials? I have a 5 1/2 hour flight on tuesday and I was saving it for that but it sounds short

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lakbay posted:

How long did it take everyone to beat the Sword Trials? I have a 5 1/2 hour flight on tuesday and I was saving it for that but it sounds short

Depends on how good at the game you are. I spent about half an hour failing on floor 12

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
What's the best dub that isn't Japanese?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Russian one is pretty metal.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This DLC is the best DLC.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/880821215967019008

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Is that Jabba in the bottom right?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Holy poo poo :pusheen:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

waiting now for somebody to goatse death mountain

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

:piaa:

Happy Noodle Boy