Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New newsletter clue seems pretty obvious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Breakfast Club?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Delicatessen (1991)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Delicatessen (1991)

If only

Much rather have a Jeunet release than anything Hughes.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I know Criterion needs these films to sell so they can fund their arthouse stuff, but...really? It's not that The Breakfast Club is a *bad* film, but it's not exactly difficult to find a good release of. Is it just me, or has there been a huge upswing in this kind of film - the kind with an already purchaseable Blu-Ray - lately?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
those look more like tea sandwiches than breakfast

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vesi posted:

those look more like tea sandwiches than breakfast

It's a breakfast club sandwich. You can see the bacon and also a runny egg yolk.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
this is the company that put Chasing Amy in their collection during the dvd era.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

this is the company that put Chasing Amy in their collection during the dvd era.

And Armageddon. It's not like two Hughes releases are going to tarnish the brand or something. They aren't rare releases by any means, but if it's a successful release that allows Criterion to continue doing their thing then I'm all for it. It's also guaranteed to be a better release for those movies than any of the bare bones cheapo editions that are commonly available.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
whoops quote isn't edit

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hell it's not like Hitchcock or Kurosawa weren't these big mainstream filmmakers in their own eras either. I don't think Hughes is on the level of someone like those two but it's not like he doesn't have some historical significance in his own right.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I love hearing about Criterion getting mass appeal movies like The Breakfast Club because it means a bunch of obscure films that won't sell a lot of copies will get released.

Also, movies like Armageddon, The Rock, and Chasing Amy were anomalies. They were released when the average Disney DVD release was non-anamorphic and bare-bones. Disney didn't start releasing anything more elaborate than a trailer and music video as extras until late 2000.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 30, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I love hearing about Criterion getting mass appeal movies like The Breakfast Club because it means a bunch of obscure films that won't sell a lot of copies will get released.

This.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, their best-selling release of all-time is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I'd imagine all the Anderson, Kubrick, and Lynch films are up there, too.

Meanwhile, we get gems no one else would release like the Pierre Etaix films, Lonesome, People On Sunday, etc...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea you can't really criticize them for Breakfast Club when they have such an affinity for directors like Wes Anderson and Kubrick, two of the most well-known directors of their respective eras. I was one of those people saying hey gently caress it they should do Grand Budapest Hotel just because, so I can hardly complain about this. I just happen to not be a fan of Hughes in particular.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The biggest question is when are they ever going to re-release The Killer and Hard Boiled ??????

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Nroo posted:

The biggest question is when are they ever going to re-release The Killer and Hard Boiled ??????

criterion's output of Chinese/Hong Kong movies is depressingly puny

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

It is, but they along with the World Cinema Foundation should get tons of props just for bringing A Brighter Summer Day out of oblivion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Martin Scorsese is basically the patron saint of film preservation. He was one of the first filmmakers to push for the industry to do something about color fading, he's had his name attached to hundreds of restorations, and also started the World Cinema Project, as well as smaller foundations for African and Polish cinema.

Nroo posted:

They're still licensed to The Weinstein Company.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Egbert Souse posted:

Pierre Etaix films

This reminds me, as someone who is a fan of Chaplin, Lloyd, Tati, Keaton, etc., how does Pierre Etaix stand up in quality?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

This reminds me, as someone who is a fan of Chaplin, Lloyd, Tati, Keaton, etc., how does Pierre Etaix stand up in quality?

If you were a fan of just one of those four names, I'd tell you to at least check out The Suitor or Yoyo on Filmstruck.

Naming all four, it should be the first thing you pick up in the B&N sale.

The Suitor, Yoyo, and La Grand Amour are absolute masterpieces. The Suitor is a big love letter to Buster Keaton (with nods to Lloyd and Langdon), Yoyo does the same with Chaplin and Fellini (there's a cute nod to La Strada and 8 1/2), and La Grand Amour is like a kinder, gentler Bunuel. Not surprising since Etaix collaborated with Jean-Claude Carriere for writing the three films.

As Long As You've Got Your Health is a little uneven since it's basically made up of several short films. However, the "Insomnia" and "Cinema" segments are hilarious. The odd duck of the set is The Land of Milk and Honey. There's also a few shorts. Happy Anniversary is hilarious and barely has any dialogue (Etaix' character is silent). Rupture is another dialogue-free one that's mostly prop comedy.

There's a great hour-long documentary/interview on Etaix, plus he shot intros for all the films. It also has a lengthy booklet.

If that's not neat enough, Etaix personally created all the packaging artwork himself for Criterion. He was a talented graphic designer and was the one who designed the posters for Tati's Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle (the latter of which he was also assistant director).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Breakfast Club loving sucks but I mean Tiny Furniture is a Criterion so it's not like they're all winners.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Breakfast Club loving sucks but I mean Tiny Furniture is a Criterion so it's not like they're all winners.

I'm sorry you didn't have friends growing up.

I would loving kill for a Planes Trains And Automobiles Criterion.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty much of the opinion that all movies should have a Criterion-level release.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm pretty much of the opinion that all movies should have a Criterion-level release.

I don't care how lovely they are, Fateful Findings and Double Down are my dream releases. Imagine getting the whole story behind those productions :allears:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's why I love Scream Factory. I mean, Halloween III: Season of the Witch got a special edition. The movie owns in a Pure Insanity sort of way, but the fact that it got special features at all is shocking and fantastic.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That's why I love Scream Factory. I mean, Halloween III: Season of the Witch got a special edition. The movie owns in a Pure Insanity sort of way, but the fact that it got special features at all is shocking and fantastic.

Be sure to check out Vinegar Syndrome. The amount of trash that little team has remastered and added extras to is staggering.

:nws: https://vinegarsyndrome.com

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 1, 2017

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's also funny how people complain about Criterion getting mainstream releases when back in the laserdisc days, they did stuff like Ghostbusters.

Hardly an obscure art film. They're keeping things in print, and it's not like we're not getting the obscure stuff as well.

I think Armageddon was something Michael Bay pushed for them to get, since he knew it would be a big seller.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Their laserdisc selection was dope. I believe they put out all of Ishiro Honda's Godzilla films in those days. Remaster and re-release those plz, Criterion.

E: never mind, they were announced but never released unfortunately

Nroo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 1, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Be sure to check out Vinegar Syndrome. The amount of trash that little team has remastered and added extras to is staggering.

:nws: https://vinegarsyndrome.com

Oooh Dolemite.

Also since Chasing Amy and laserdiscs were just brought up, it kinda blows my mind that the commentary track for Clerks was recorded during the filming of Mallrats for the laserdisc.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wyoming posted:

Oooh Dolemite.

They also have the rights to three Melvin Van Peebles films and Coonskin through a partnership with Xenon Pictures. Although I haven't heard anything else since the initial announcement.

https://www.facebook.com/vinsyn/posts/1032245040137024

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

On laserdisc, many studios didn't really put a lot of effort other than letterboxed editions until the mid-90s. By the early 90s, most non-studio special work was from either Criterion, Image, or Pioneer. I think that only MGM/UA, Fox and Disney were consistently doing things special with releases and it wasn't until the early 90s. Near the end of laserdisc, there were a few specialty labels already like Elite Entertainment and Anchor Bay, though.

Paramount didn't release a special edition on any format until Forrest Gump on DVD in 2001. Warner Bros. started their famed "Two Disc Special Editions" in 2001, starting with Citizen Kane. Though, the guy that ran MGM/UA Home Video ended up running Warner Home Video (George Feltenstein) and was responsible for pretty much all of their special editions on both formats.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 2, 2017

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I pre ordered Stalker and I'm very excited to see it in glorious bluray quality.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Shout/Scream Factory is fantastic, I'm constantly blown away by the Criterion-level releases they do for cult movies.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

For the record, I'm not complaining that The Breakfast Club is getting released because of the film, I'm complaining because it's got fine Blu-Ray releases readily available. I have the same complaint about Fire Walk With Me (one of my all-time favorite films).

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles would make a fantastic Criterion because it needs the upgrade. But what else can the company add here?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From reading on other forums, some think it might be a box set. Which would make a bit more sense since Universal already released The Breakfast Club twice - most recently from a new 4K remaster.

A BBS-style set with his 80s films would be interesting. Especially since Criterion would be able to get both the Paramount and Universal films, while no one else is licensing from both studios (Shout! only licenses from Universal at the moment).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Look, I don't care as long as we get the music videos in the best fidelity possible.

I want to see OMD in HD. Make it happen.

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't care how lovely they are, Fateful Findings and Double Down are my dream releases. Imagine getting the whole story behind those productions :allears:

Happy America Birthday Day (kind of) :911:

Hi-rez:
http://imgur.com/N3OQ6JQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

darkerthantheday posted:

Happy America Birthday Day (kind of) :911:

Hi-rez: