Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
We can't let this drag out any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The debate is a real drag, but I'm sure we can transition to another topic.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Every GIP mod thinks they think they are queen bee of this subforum.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
States to Kris Kobach: you can drag our voter data from our cold, dead hands: http://gizmodo.com/trumps-election-fraud-commission-asked-states-to-send-s-1796535568

Kobach wants all of the publically available voter roll data delivered to him (which is ok, it's public), but that data also contains partial social security numbers (not ok). Kobach wants all the information sent to a completely insecure government inbox without encryption or anything.

Blue Secretaries of State are telling him to gently caress off, Oklahoma is sending the data without SSNs, which is also sorta telling him to gently caress off. Lots of skeezy poo poo underneath the dumb tweets, but people are still paying attention.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

TBeats posted:

Canada lives in the attic. Mexico is in the basement.

Only one of those countries still has a monarch as a head of state. Thus still living in mom's basement.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BUG JUG posted:

Only one of those countries still has a monarch as a head of state. Thus still living in mom's basement.

You have a gibbering retard as your head of state. I'll take ol' Lizzie over him anyday.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

States to Kris Kobach: you can drag our voter data from our cold, dead hands: http://gizmodo.com/trumps-election-fraud-commission-asked-states-to-send-s-1796535568

Kobach wants all of the publically available voter roll data delivered to him (which is ok, it's public), but that data also contains partial social security numbers (not ok). Kobach wants all the information sent to a completely insecure government inbox without encryption or anything.

Blue Secretaries of State are telling him to gently caress off, Oklahoma is sending the data without SSNs, which is also sorta telling him to gently caress off. Lots of skeezy poo poo underneath the dumb tweets, but people are still paying attention.

quote:

This lack of openness is all the more concerning, considering that the Vice Chair of the Commission, Kris Kobach, has a lengthy record of illegally disenfranchising eligible voters in Kansas. (See, for example, Fish v. Kobach, No. 16-3147, 10th Cir. 2016). The courts have repudiated his methods on multiple occasions but often after the damage has been done to voters. Given Secretary Kobach’s history we find it very difficult to have confidence in the work of this Commission.

I mean yeah this is exactly what I should have suspected from Trump but god drat is it loving blatant. Cheeto Benito does not intend to lose an election ever again if he is at all capable of getting away with it. Every shady bullshit voter disenfranchisement story you've ever read about is going to take place at the federal level. loving good luck in 2018/2020 America.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They also said they're going to make it all public, is this some kind of attempt to cover for the party leaking all the same data a few months ago? "Oh so what, it's all out there anyway so what if we left our golden goose on an open server"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

Every shady bullshit voter disenfranchisement story you've ever read about is going to take place at the federal level. loving good luck in 2018/2020 America.

Counterpoint from Dave Weigel: they accidentally put a ton of sunlight on this garbage commission. Two red states (Wisconsin, North Carolina) just came out in the last hour and told Kobach to gently caress himself as well, with my favorite excuse ever: "well that's not our department and we don't have that sensitive information soz m8". It's frustrating as hell dealing with that on a daily basis, so nice to see bureaucratic buck-passing working for good.

There still might be putzing around at the state level, which is where the bullshit is, but that commission is already radioactive. Still could be bad, but they probably hosed up by being way too noisy about it. Crazy Republicans don't want their data in the hands of the feds, even if it's their feds.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Counterpoint from Dave Weigel: they accidentally put a ton of sunlight on this garbage commission. Two red states (Wisconsin, North Carolina) just came out in the last hour and told Kobach to gently caress himself as well, with my favorite excuse ever: "well that's not our department and we don't have that sensitive information soz m8". It's frustrating as hell dealing with that on a daily basis, so nice to see bureaucratic buck-passing working for good.

There still might be putzing around at the state level, which is where the bullshit is, but that commission is already radioactive. Still could be bad, but they probably hosed up by being way too noisy about it. Crazy Republicans don't want their data in the hands of the feds, even if it's their feds.

I sure hope so. My reserves of optimism are running dry lately so I'm dooming and glooming pretty hard about future elections after the voting rights act getting gut like a trout, Russia doing it's thing and the very existence of a commission like this. It's pretty god drat blatant what the end goal of situations like those are. Maybe the sunlight will be enough?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Just hire a Russian hacker??

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Zeris posted:

Isn't saying this an opsec violation at this point?

MODS??

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

trump

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Want to know how bad Kobach hosed this thing up?

https://twitter.com/BryanLowry3/status/880874704659259392

As Kansas Secretary of State, Kobach will not respond to his own request.

Also there was a shooting in an NYC hospital, a former employee with an "M-16 style rifle" (the media is bad at guns). Shooter down.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/gunman-opens-fire-killing-1-bronx-lebanon-hospital-article-1.3291797

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
e: nvm, not in this thread

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

facialimpediment posted:

Also there was a shooting in an NYC hospital, a former employee with an "M-16 style rifle" (the media is bad at guns). Shooter down.

Watch it be another SKS.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ded posted:

Watch it be another SKS.

Ruger 10/22

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/gunman-opens-fire-killing-1-bronx-lebanon-hospital-article-1.3291797

They're usually close enough but weird gun people start to freak out if the media doesn't get the number of rivets correct

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Trapdoor Springfield

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Buca di Bepis posted:

They're usually close enough but weird gun people start to freak out if the media doesn't get the number of rivets correct

Man I just hate when they are all MILITARY STYLE ASSAULT WEAPON and it's some loving bolt action.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If it makes a big bang and causes people to fall over dead, the military has probably used it to assault something at some point in the last hundred years.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
More white christian male terrorism that the NRA can ignore

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ded posted:

Man I just hate when they are all MILITARY STYLE ASSAULT WEAPON and it's some loving bolt action.

*sassily tweets at CNN about intermediate cartridges and feed mechanisms*

Honestly unless they're like clocktowering their way through a crowd with like one aimed round being fired every 8-10+ seconds people are just going to assume someone opened up with an AR-15 or possibly an AK-47 because they're not going to whip out field glasses to inspect the attacker's weapon while it's being fired.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Snipers with military style assault weapons

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

More white christian male terrorism that the NRA can ignore

It was a black guy.

Just because it was a doctor doesn't mean he's white.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
"In the event I were to receive correspondence from the Commission requesting the following... My reply would be: they can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi is a great State to launch from."

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/880897729152638977

loving deep-red Mississippi is telling Kobach to go gently caress himself. RIP that effort, goddamn.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vengarr posted:

If it makes a big bang and causes people to fall over dead, the military has probably used it to assault something at some point in the last hundred years.

If it makes a small bang and causes people to fall over dead, the military has probably used it to assault something at some point in the last hundred years, and then someone added a silencer.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: BUZZFEED SUBPOENAS FEDS ABOUT THE PISS TAPE (and the dossier) :siren:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/30/buzzfeed-trump-russia-dossier-subpoena-240146

quote:

The online media outlet sent formal demands Thursday to the CIA, the FBI and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, seeking details on the distribution of an unverified intelligence dossier about Trump said to have been in the possession of Russian intelligence during last year’s presidential campaign, POLITICO has learned.

BuzzFeed is also seeking testimony from fired FBI Director James Comey, as well as former DNI James Clapper and CIA Director John Brennan, said a source familiar with the subpoenas.

BuzzFeed issued the demands for documents and testimony in connection with a libel suit the site is facing from Russian technology executive Aleksej Gubarev over BuzzFeed’s decision to publish the salacious intelligence dossier in its entirety in January.

The subpoenas seek information about the existence and scope of the federal government’s investigation into the dossier, initially compiled by former British spy Christopher Steele. The requests for documents say the information could bolster BuzzFeed’s claim that publication of the document was protected by the fair report privilege, which can immunize reports based on official government records.

Buzzfeed got sued by Russians in the piss tape dossier, which means Buzzfeed now gets discovery ability. They're subpoenaing the feds for the research they did on the dossier (and therefore, piss tape). It's an uphill battle, but a subpoena in this method is faster and more likely to succeed than a simple FOIA request.

One step closer to the golden shower we all deserve.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

"In the event I were to receive correspondence from the Commission requesting the following... My reply would be: they can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi is a great State to launch from."

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/880897729152638977

loving deep-red Mississippi is telling Kobach to go gently caress himself. RIP that effort, goddamn.

Which is very surprising to me, since our governor loves Trump. I'm glad at least some one in our state government has some sense and maybe even some balls.

That said, our state doesn't exactly have the best record with voting rights and all. I wouldn't be surprised that he didn't want anyone taking a close look at the information because there probably is some shady poo poo going on in regards to trying to disenfranchise minorities. (Which would probably make Trump happy, but you can't advertise that stuff publicly). I got removed from the voting roll one time during one of their voter registration sweeps after missing 1 federal election. I wasn't notified and found out when they refused to let me vote. That election (for a state congressman) ended up tied and was decided by drawing straws.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
New radio station to listen to in DC

https://twitter.com/Hadas_Gold/status/880866142788739072

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Zeris posted:

Just fill out the drat form.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think RT used to have adverts on the bus stops around town. When I was walked down Think Tank Row I remember seeing news boxes with China Daily in them heh

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/JenAshleyWright/status/880429917657341952

I mean I guess you'll get some snazzy uniforms for dragging people to the camps

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I don't think I understood what rounding up the "intelligentsia" actually meant till that tweet.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

They're like bizarro Pakleds:
"You know things, you must go"
"You can make things happen, you must go"
"You can find things out and tell people about them, you must go"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

joat mon posted:

They're like bizarro Pakleds:
"You know things, you must go"
"You can make things happen, you must go"
"You can find things out and tell people about them, you must go"

do they appreciate how delicious it is that their target list is exactly the same people that get purged first in communist revolutions

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

is this the real reason why the price of college is skyrocketing

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If Ya'll Qaeda went to start rounding people up they'd have to get off their rascals first. And I'm pretty sure while people don't want to be shooting military or the police, the Gunt Gestapo would be some pretty easy targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

p sure 150 grain .30-06 can disable a rascal from 300 yards, so I'm not too worried

• Locked thread