Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

You're not supposed to bring that up!

Sorry. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

It's okay!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Square: alright alright alright, we'll remake everyone's favorite ps1 classic final fantasy 7, but we're gonna make the gameplay totally different and split it into multiple releases, ultimately taking years to hit the shelves

Naughty dog: huh? oh yeah here's crash 1. uh sure have 2 and 3 while you're here

They've re-released Final Fantasy VII like there times in the past console generation.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Square Enix needs a Square PhoEnix Down!!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

There was a big signboard outside an office. Signboard of ENIX.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean isn't a phoenix where Enix got their name from in the first place?

at least I think a few of their old games made a phoenix part of the ultimate weapon in their game, anyhow.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it died last year. Only Lego and Amiibo are left.

IIRC, activision said they wanted to focus more on the imaginators line and supporting that instead of moving on to another iteration so soon so it sounds more like it's similar to that assassins creed situation where they took a year off from releasing an AC game to focus on other media stuff.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

This company are sick.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm playing....... lufia 2. i've only done the tutorial puzzle dungeon but it seems neat

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

July Games Chat: Please stop calling each other pedos

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oddium posted:

i'm playing....... lufia 2. i've only done the tutorial puzzle dungeon but it seems neat

You're playing a Good Game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

It's cool, but the translation and QA are rough

It all feels held together with duct tape in a way that more polished but still buggy 16-bit RPGs like FF6 don't

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe the next will be their actual Final Fantasy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Erg posted:

Why would I call someone a pedometer

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the lufia 2 spell that restores hp is called Strong and the spell that cures poison is called Poison

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Short for Poisona. Modern Final Fantasies use it too

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In FF7, the spell that heals you is called "Cure" and cure poison is "Poisona" as usual.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Short for Poisona. Modern Final Fantasies use it too

the only final fantasy i've played is ffta

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What about the MegaTen spell names, those are bonkers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

the only final fantasy i've played is ffta

You should play Final Fantasy 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10-2, and the thirteen trilogy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samuringa posted:

What about the MegaTen spell names, those are bonkers.
Don't they come from Sanskrit words or something?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FF8 is coming back in a big way, hope everyone is ready for 2018, the year of Final Fantasy 8 being considered cool and good

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Erg posted:

I wonder if ADTRW has a chat thread that's mostly people talking about video games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
AlmostOh, most certainly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That reminds me, is S2 of My Hero Academia finished yet

I'd rather binge than get stuck on a cliffhanger

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

I wonder if ADTRW has a chat thread that's mostly people talking about video games.

Haven't posted there in a few years now but they'd talk about games a lot, but also talk about anime a lot, and also there were too many people that got away with saying creepy poo poo back then. I dunno if that has changed now since one of the reasons I stopped posting there was that it always seemed like I was being treated like the bad guy for thinking that people posting sexualized pics of underaged anime girls should be called out.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Every forum has a video game thread.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crash HD review: It's great! It's a pretty much faithful recreation of the old games with a new coat of paint and they're just as good now as they were back then. However, Crash moves slower and has absolutely no momentum so it's way harder and less fair than the originals. Crash 2 and 3 are definitely more built around it but 1 suffers greatly. Some of the one-full-Crash-length jumps are almost undoable. The new relic time trials for 1 are infuriating and are not fun in the slightest because they just amount to "play perfectly" because there's no way to make Crash go faster. Lots of quality of life improvements but they don't really help the poor movement physics.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

FF8 is coming back in a big way, hope everyone is ready for 2018, the year of Final Fantasy 8 being considered cool and good

I didn't know all of time was actually 2018.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure Crash 1 want always like that, because that's how I remember it.

Also whoever said crash 1 had the the PlayStation era bad save system taint reaped all of you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Are you sure Crash 1 want always like that, because that's how I remember it.

Also whoever said crash 1 had the the PlayStation era bad save system taint reaped all of you

Yes, I'm sure. It bothered me so much that I did a direct comparison by playing them side by side and I confirmed it for myself. Crash has momentum in the old games but in the new ones he stops on a dime when you let go of the control stick, but not exactly on a dime, it's just enough to throw you off but not enough for him to actually stop when you want him to. He also just moves slightly slower in general. Additionally the jump is slightly lower and he slows down when you bounce off an enemy's head, which makes some of the later levels where you're required to do that for platforming really annoying.

It's genuinely frustrating because it's a problem with an easy solution: just make the guy run a little faster.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 1, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FF8 good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

I didn't know all of time was actually 2018.

Time Kompression will do that to ya

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

yeah but is crash bandicoot now dark souls

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ostentatious posted:

- hit twice and die
- sun god helmet
- i-frames when you spin
- jumping

:darksouls:

e:
i rest my case

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

oddium posted:

congrats on your good rear end choice of videogame

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ostentatious posted:

Nah, dark souls is actually fair

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...