Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shovelmint posted:

Oh. So that's how you Manga. It makes a lot more sense now.

The series is available digitally through Comixology/Amazon and I highly recommend picking it up.

As a side note, I'm not sure how hard it is to find nowadays but I also recommend the author's (Makoto Yukimura) previous series Planetes. It takes place roughly 70 years into the future and follows the crew of the spaceship Toybox. Their job is to clean up the junk that people have left in orbit. Its fairly short but will also hit you right in the feels. Planetes is also extremely "hard" sci-fi as the characters have to deal with stuff like prolonged exposure to space causing health issues like low bone density and cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

hup posted:

I'd post the Bartkira version, but I'm on my phone

when you get back to your computer :justpost:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

muscles like this! posted:

As a side note, I'm not sure how hard it is to find nowadays but I also recommend the author's (Makoto Yukimura) previous series Planetes. It takes place roughly 70 years into the future and follows the crew of the spaceship Toybox. Their job is to clean up the junk that people have left in orbit. Its fairly short but will also hit you right in the feels. Planetes is also extremely "hard" sci-fi as the characters have to deal with stuff like prolonged exposure to space causing health issues like low bone density and cancer.
It was out of print and difficult to find for a while but got a reprint as a two volume collection by Dark Horse in 2015/2016. Easy to get on Amazon, but I don't think it's available digitally anywhere.

It's quite good; has a whole lot of existential dread related to living/working in space going on.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

muscles like this! posted:

The series is available digitally through Comixology/Amazon and I highly recommend picking it up.

There is also an anime adaptation as well. I did not finish the Anime but I did enjoy the concept.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I specifically remember Spider Man plucking like with his fingers someone unconscious. I think it was from the MacFarlane era.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The anime is nowhere near as good as it gets way too bloated by adding a ton of characters/side plots. Also he is somehow able to have a multicultural cast without falling into terrible stereotypes (which is more than you can say for a lot of other popular manga authors.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pretend I posted anyone even slightly tan from One Piece.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lurdiak posted:

Pretend I posted anyone even slightly tan from One Piece.

I am told this is a mistranslation on a reference to some historical Japanese boxer who had an afro-ish hairstyle. Maybe.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The line is supposed to be "Since the dawn of time man has wondered: does the afro make the champion? Or does the champion make the afro? Even modern science can't say." In reference to Japan's most famous boxer, Yoko Gushiken. That's a wig they found in a dressing room before the main character has to go have a boxing match against someone.

Not that One Piece doesn't have pretty awkward issues about race and representation though, considering the character speaking in those panels, Usopp, is supposed to be black and the author didn't mention it to anyone for the first several years of publications, at which point it was way too late to change his skin tone.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 21, 2017

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Cuchulain posted:

Not that One Piece doesn't have pretty awkward issues about race and representation though, considering the character speaking in those panels, Usopp, is supposed to be black and the author didn't mention it to anyone for the first several years of publications, at which point it was way too late to change his skin tone.

That's actually kind of adorable. "What, you just assumed he wasn't black? gently caress, I can't pay attention to you coloring book assholes, ask a question next time ffs. Tell me you at least noticed that the reindeer is a woman."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Spanish Matlock posted:

Tell me you at least noticed that the reindeer is a woman."
?!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Male reindeer shed their antlers at the end of the mating season and regrow them later. Only female reindeers have antlers year-round. Since Chopper's never been seen without antlers all this time...

(This is why, if you see a depiction of Santa's reindeer with antlers, they're all female reindeer because the mating season ends around the start of December.)

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

When I was a kid, I loved the hell out of anything X-Men. Sunk a ton of quarters into X-Men: the arcade game, watched the X-Men cartoon show, had all the ancillary books like coloring or the giant size Look and Find X-Men book, which was indescribably awesome for a kid:

There was a ton of awesome stuff going on in any one page.

Here's the X-Men having some sort of insane adventure in.... old-school Genosha I believe. There was so much poo poo going on for a kid to digest. There's god damned Brood swarming around a dome in the background! Archangel just blew up a plane with his wings! Forge is shooting a giant laser! Iceman is about to get iced! Colossus just threw a jeep at some helicopters! Wolverine is eviscerating a tank! Jubilee is... making some soldiers dizzy? etc. etc. etc.

This was for a long time my first actual 'comic' - then I remember getting a few comics while I vacationing at the beach one year. One of them was Uncanny X-Men 300, art by JRJR.
I remember the cover vividly - it was one of those holographic style covers.

I remember it being much more violent, like an order of magnitude more violent, than any other x-men media I had previously consumed. On one page, Fabian Cortez uses his power to just kind of explode Bishop.

On the next page, an acolyte tries to stop Cortez, and then...

I... ...I'm still ------ breathing?

Lucky You.

This panel blew me away as a kid.

ninja edit : fun coincidence - in that Look and Find page on Genosha, one of the inserts of 'what to look for' is an image of a dude in a cape, with the caption barely recognizable as: Fabian Cortez.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Oh man, I had that same book as a kid, as well as the Street Fighter one. They were corny has hell, but I loved them for all the zany stuff going on in each page.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

team overhead smash posted:

Vinland Saga. Don't have the panels.
Does anyone have the panels of the land boat battle :black101:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Can someone post the panels where Red Leader beats Mephisto by exploiting a loophole in his giant demon contract? I think it was Mephisto. It could also have been Cyttorak (?) but he doesn't seem like a contract kind of guy.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ariong posted:

Can someone post the panels where Red Leader beats Mephisto by exploiting a loophole in his giant demon contract? I think it was Mephisto. It could also have been Cyttorak (?) but he doesn't seem like a contract kind of guy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is Deadpool a notary?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm not sure Deadpool is what I'd call a reliable witness

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yes. It's a standard Zany Deadpool Joke but I actually love he is and has been a notary. Like, Solo or whoever rings him up to stamp a contract every so often.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Nessus posted:

Is Deadpool a notary?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't that joke directly stolen from something else?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that joke directly stolen from something else?

It's been done a few times, on Metalocalypse recently, iirc.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
It was used on The League as well, though it probably came later.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

As far as I'm aware didn't Deadpool get something as part of this deal. Like an angel feather or a pimp hat?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Discendo Vox posted:

It's been done a few times, on Metalocalypse recently, iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwgLt0QadU
The only thing Dethklok is good at besides playing metal is contract negotiation. Also I literally cannot read the words "I'm a notary" in anything other than Murderface's voice.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

The Question IRL posted:

As far as I'm aware didn't Deadpool get something as part of this deal. Like an angel feather or a pimp hat?

Angel feather FOR a pimp hat.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

smashpro1 posted:

Angel feather FOR a pimp hat.

Which he later used to save Punisher's life, which was a throwback to Punisher's time as Heaven's avenger.

I'm pretty sure the actual inference was everyone wondering why a angel feather would work on Castle and he only replied that he didn't want to talk about it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Pacra posted:

This was for a long time my first actual 'comic' - then I remember getting a few comics while I vacationing at the beach one year. One of them was Uncanny X-Men 300, art by JRJR.
I remember the cover vividly - it was one of those holographic style covers.

This issue is one of my all-time favorites as well. It also introduced (well, it was a couple issues prior but this solidified it) the idea of that goofy Bobby Drake as Iceman somehow being an Omega-level mutant and I've been fascinated since at the potential of him as a character and his powers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That was the second x man comic book I ever owned and it ruled. Got me into the franchise for a long time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think Cortez had the hammiest voice acting in the X-Men '92 cartoon and that's saying something.

"MY PEOPLE WILL have justice... SAYETH... ME!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Cortez had the hammiest voice acting in the X-Men '92 cartoon and that's saying something.

"MY PEOPLE WILL have justice... SAYETH... ME!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

sticksy posted:

This issue is one of my all-time favorites as well. It also introduced (well, it was a couple issues prior but this solidified it) the idea of that goofy Bobby Drake as Iceman somehow being an Omega-level mutant and I've been fascinated since at the potential of him as a character and his powers.

Anyone with a mastery over Something specific is Omega level. Well, any sort of force. Sorry, Squirrel Girl.
Iceman, essentially, has a good degree of control over thermodynamics. Like how Magneto should be able to control pretty much anything, not just ferrous materials.
They are just too ignorant, or too stupid to think about their powers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Anyone with a mastery over Something specific is Omega level. Well, any sort of force. Sorry, Squirrel Girl.
Iceman, essentially, has a good degree of control over thermodynamics. Like how Magneto should be able to control pretty much anything, not just ferrous materials.
They are just too ignorant, or too stupid to think about their powers.

Magneto kicks everyone's rear end at one point by controlling the iron in their blood rendering them unable to use their powers.

:black101:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

All-New Marvel NOW! Magneto #1 (2014)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Toshimo posted:

Further proof that all those "Magneto's actually the GOOD GUY" people are WRONG.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His last thoughts were 'I should have paid extra for ceramic fillings'

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Can I get some context here? What did the doctor do to deserve forced dental work and subsequent impaling?

This could be badass, or it might just be gross. Or it could just be a weak attempt to shock readers with brutality. Need more info.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ecavalli posted:

Can I get some context here? What did the doctor do to deserve forced dental work and subsequent impaling?

This could be badass, or it might just be gross. Or it could just be a weak attempt to shock readers with brutality. Need more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ah! So the doctor's a latter-day Nazi analogue. Cool cool. That's some good violence.