Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please refer to it as Splat2n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Splajune

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Erg posted:

I swore off DFO after starting FFXIV because all your classes being on one character is such a huge relief, but how are the new female priests

I've only played Shaman so far, but they're fantastic. Apparently DFO didn't actually have a lead designer until like 8 months ago and you can really feel the difference, their skills have more internal synergy than a lot of the older classes and they feel great to use.

The only downsides are a few bugs (they break Anton raid at the moment lol, or maybe it already got patched in the hotfix the other night) and the lack of fashion options.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 1, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I skip the crash dance every time who's with me

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Help Im Alive posted:

You're a monster

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Sure *Backs away slowly* ...m-mods???

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still only playing Injustice 2 pretty much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Happy birthday, glam rock hamhock.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I just keep playing FIFA17. I mean, I have a tourney organised by my brother-in-law next weekend but you'd think I could find better ways to spend my time.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh wait, due to recently being put on to Metal Gear Mondays (:rip:) I'm playing MGS2 for the billionth time as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been playing the terrible Superhero MMO Champions Online.

I mean it's not that terrible it's just stuck in free to play no-update hell so it's just very dated. There are unfunny references to the original Anchorman in there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Coco's version is better idk

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

There are unfunny references to the original Anchorman in there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Repeating a joke from a movie but worse with the names slightly changed is not funny.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of F2P MMOs, The Secret World recently went F2P so I gave it a whirl. It's pretty good. The first major area, at least, feels properly open world, taking place in a New England town that's beset by zombies and Lovecraftian horrors.

I've had a couple of nefarious subquests that have puzzles far trickier than, say, Silent Hill 3's hard mode puzzles. You have to, like, know who Saint Jerome was in order to figure out that you have to look up Bible verses in Latin.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

Repeating a joke from a movie but worse with the names slightly changed is not funny.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of F2P MMOs, The Secret World recently went F2P so I gave it a whirl. It's pretty good. The first major area, at least, feels properly open world, taking place in a New England town that's beset by zombies and Lovecraftian horrors.

I've had a couple of nefarious subquests that have puzzles far trickier than, say, Silent Hill 3's hard mode puzzles. You have to, like, know who Saint Jerome was in order to figure out that you have to look up Bible verses in Latin.

I played this on release but the MMO gameplay was just so bad.

I have been getting emails that tell me they have completely overhauled the gameplay. Is the combat any good now? Because I would like to go back to it for the writing (Illuminati supremacy)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing Kingdom Hearts 2 which is pretty okay so far.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I'm halfway through Persona 5 and I am sad everytime I level up because that's one less level I'll ever experience for the rest of my life

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been getting emails that tell me they have completely overhauled the gameplay. Is the combat any good now? Because I would like to go back to it for the writing (Illuminati supremacy)

I've heard it's much better now, and that it used to be so bad it "almost killed the game". But I haven't actually played it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have no idea what it used to be like, but it's perfectly fine now. There are around ten weapon classes, each with different resource management mechanics, and you get to pick two. So my guy's primary weapon is some "chaos magic" melee punches thing, and his secondary is dual pistols. You use both in combat. You're limited to, like, six actions on your action bar so you have to pick the most meaningful attacks and cooldowns and just use those.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honestly I don't know why every MMO has that cooldown-management based combat, it's really not engaging. I wish they could just give you a moveset and let you run wild.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
My graphics card chose the worst time to die, apparently thanks to bitcoin miners there's a bit of a shortage and what is there is being sold at a markup because of it :/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I might try The Secret World again actually though I'll be honest last time I played it wasn't the combat that put me off but puzzles that required you to be able to read morse code by ear.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I might try The Secret World again actually though I'll be honest last time I played it wasn't the combat that put me off but puzzles that required you to be able to read morse code by ear.

Those are optional (and wiki-able)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kiranamos posted:

I'm halfway through Persona 5 and I am sad everytime I level up because that's one less level I'll ever experience for the rest of my life

I unironically feel the same way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no such thing as 'optional' for me and wikiing is cheating.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I liked the idea of having to do research within the game with a special web browser that would block out everything after the game's release. But now that just reminds me this game was in production before the complete domination of smartphones over everyone's lives

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's two mmos I miss to this day, city of heroes and the original planetside

Coh was really impressive back in the day for an mmo, and planetside was kinda mindblowing on its scale, barely able to hold itself together but able to have 450 people in a single island at one time in 2003 (with lots of lag if everyone was actually in the same general area on it, but still)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only MMO I ever played for more than a week or so before I got fed up was Lord of the Rings Online and I more miss the people I played with than the game really.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I enjoyed my time in Guild Wars when I was a kid, but I dunno if it's actually any good. I liked summoning skeletons.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Give me an MMO with stylish clothes and armor but remove all the MMO poo poo and just make it about being stylish.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I liked playing Toontown Online with my kid siblings back in the day, I think the idea of a small-numbers MMORPG is one that's worth revisiting. Same with the combat being turn-based and moderately strategic (different kinds of enemy weaknesses, multi-stage attacks that require different players to cooperate since a character can only learn a single part of it) instead of being a quagmire of cooldown meters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FauxLeather posted:

I enjoyed my time in Guild Wars when I was a kid, but I dunno if it's actually any good. I liked summoning skeletons.

Isn't that more of a Diablo than an MMO.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that more of a Diablo than an MMO.

Yes, and it ruled.

Also you coukd just make a max-level character for PvP.

Also it wasn't a game about leveling up; you were max level for most of the game. Leveling up was like the tutorial for building your character.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly I don't know why every MMO has that cooldown-management based combat, it's really not engaging. I wish they could just give you a moveset and let you run wild.

Mostly because it's a good way to deal with latency and a lot of people doing things at the same time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It also makes the game seem more interesting by preventing you from just spamming your best move and makes you use all your abilities optimally.

I really like cooldown-based kit balance.

The reason every mmo does it is because WoW did it.

And now Overwatch does it, so look forward to it being in FPSs for awhile.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Overwatch has a lot more going on than just waiting for your cooldowns. I'm not opposed to cooldowns being involved at all, but I don't think it's a good primary form of engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

How is Poi? As someone who likes 3D platformers it interests me but I know very little
it's the least worst of the current 3D Platformer revival era but it looks very low budget with the flattest lighting, and it's extremely unoriginal

but if you want a Mario 64 style game that's the one to get. be aware the first world has a lot of very simple medallions (ie stars) but soon enough you can do stars out of order and really explore like a proper Mario 64 style game

• Locked thread