Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Saul Goode posted:

SBW May Never Live It Down
SBW Gave Ref No Option
Hansen Has No Quibble - "It's Off You Go Boy", All Blacks Coach says.
Fans Turn Heat on SBW
Tackle of a 'Leaguie'

...the ref? Not so much.

I've noticed the NZ press has been super magnanimous for the most part. I was talking abiut this thread.

(also I thought Mako should have got a red as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bigfoot again posted:

Watched the match but haven't read the thread yet. I assume NZ fans are blaming the ref, yes?

You want rugby where every first receiver forward jumps into the defensive line to milk a penalty?

I think the officiating for this tour has been abysmal in general, whatever side out favours.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ugh. Just got home from watching Chris Rock to see that. That penalty for tackling in the air was the biggest load of poo poo I've ever seen.

... Pick your loving avatar for me then.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

You want rugby where every first receiver forward jumps into the defensive line to milk a penalty?

I think the officiating for this tour has been abysmal in general, whatever side out favours.

1. He jumped to catch the ball, it's hardly milking a penalty.
2. The ref applied the laws. What would you like him to do?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Jumped to catch a terrible pass, got hit in the air. This narrative that he jumped into the tackle needs to :fuckoff:. It's no different had it been a cross field kick and he got hit in the air jumping to catch it. It's technical but it's the right call by the laws.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 1, 2017

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
The call was within the laws of the game, I'm still pissing myself at the thought of Vagabundo's post on the law but thems the breaks. It took a freak call in a bad game for the Lions to beat 14 All Blacks which says more about the two teams than that one penalty call.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Ugh. Just got home from watching Chris Rock to see that. That penalty for tackling in the air was the biggest load of poo poo I've ever seen.

... Pick your loving avatar for me then.

I hope you get a good one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I have a toxx avatar ready, but I'm away from my computer for a few days.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Tyma posted:

I have a toxx avatar ready, but I'm away from my computer for a few days.

I await my pain.

Rewatching the game now that I'm sober: the Lions played better. The All Blacks made poor decisions regarding all their penalties - they did exactly what we all criticise NH teams of doing. However the reffing was inconsistent. SBW's tackle was certainly a red, but so was Mayo's clear out. Codie should've got a card and so should've whoever took out Naholo.

Congrats to the better team on the day. That penalty was still crap though. I'd like to see the all blacks come out next week and from the kick off catch and pass the ball to someone while jumping to highlight how dumb that law is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Please defend this.

https://twitter.com/killeroc/status/881074218603032576

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Should've been a red. If he'd done that for England I'd want him cited and he probably should be.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

At best borderline red. Yellow for sure then depends on the ref. Wasn't anywhere near as bad as sonny bill's tackle. That was right to the head, entirely a shoulder charge and Watson was being held in a tackle at the same time. If vunipolla's tackle was a red every day, there would have been way more reds in the history of rugby.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 2, 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

At best borderline red. Yellow for sure then depends on the ref. Wasn't anywhere near as bad as sonny bill's tackle. That was right to the head, entirely a shoulder charge and Watson was being held in a tackle at the same time. If vunipolla's tackle was a red every day, there would have been way more reds in the history of rugby.

There's no significant difference between what Vunipola did and what SBW did, only that Watson wasn't lying prone. As soon as Garces sent off SBW, he set a precedent and any failure to adhere to it meant that he was not applying the law consistently. What Vunipola did easily meets the red card threshold.

Meanwhile, Sean O'Brien has been cited for a swinging arm to Naholo's head, which took him out of the game.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 2, 2017

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Don't get me wrong, had Vunipola received a red it would have been absolutely fair IMO. But there are some differences that made SBW's tackle a no-choice red and Vunipola's more ambiguous. Vunipola was attempting to use his arms, his left arm was wrapping around BB. The hit to the head was glancing compared to the absolute crunch of SBW's. As I said, Vunipola could have gotten a red easily and it would have been fair, but if SBW hadn't gotten a red, it would have made a travesty.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Don't get me wrong, had Vunipola received a red it would have been absolutely fair IMO. But there are some differences that made SBW's tackle a no-choice red and Vunipola's more ambiguous. Vunipola was attempting to use his arms, his left arm was wrapping around BB. The hit to the head was glancing compared to the absolute crunch of SBW's. As I said, Vunipola could have gotten a red easily and it would have been fair, but if SBW hadn't gotten a red, it would have made a travesty.

SBW was wrapping an arm around Watson.

There's a better quality video on here than the tweet I posted above.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/rugby/lions-prop-mako-vunipola-sin-binned-after-cruel-shoulder-charge-beauden-barrett

Even if the level of contact is not the same, there is obvious intent here. Vunipola knew exactly what he was doing. Had Garces been consistent, Vunipola would've been gone.

From 13 seconds in. Vunipola's forearm is clearly hitting Barrett's throat/jaw area.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 2, 2017

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vunipola should absolutely be dropped for that bullshit and a red card would have been fair. Lol if you think that still shows sonny bill wrapping an arm though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bigfoot again posted:

Vunipola should absolutely be dropped for that bullshit and a red card would have been fair. Lol if you think that still shows sonny bill wrapping an arm though.

Well yes, I was being sarcastic. I was hoping someone would be all like "but SBW barely even used his arms!" so I could be all like "Exactly. :c00lbert:"

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Lmao where's Mr chips at give that man a medal
What happened? I missed the Lions v ABs game, was sitting on the bench in the pissing rain for the 2nds while everyone else in my team had nicked off back to the clubhouse. We had one of those glorious days where drowning at the bottom of a ruck is a hazard.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

What happened? I missed the Lions v ABs game, was sitting on the bench in the pissing rain for the 2nds while everyone else in my team had nicked off back to the clubhouse. We had one of those glorious days where drowning at the bottom of a ruck is a hazard.

Turns out your stupid argument wasn't so stupid after all.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Poor sunwolves :(

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

TRISHY posted:

Poor sunwolves :(

Woof.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

4 weeks for Mr. Sonny William Williams.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mr Chips posted:

What happened?

Kieron Reed quoted one of your posts to the referee, while losing the game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

For gently caress's sake, stop handwringing over imagined scenarios that haven't happened since that law was amended a few seasons ago and probably never will.

The referees will not penalise anyone for tackling a fast person because "their feet were off the ground while running," because that's ridiculous. You'd have to be a panicky stupid gently caress to even think that may happen.

So congratulations Mr Chips, on making the stupidest post in this thread so far.

drat

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/mike_cantillon/status/881295471502872576

Some quality fouls were missed by the ref and TMO in that match. Sam Cane on O'Brien I think?

Vunipola should have been red carded and O'Brien will probably eat a suspension for his hit on Naholo.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 2, 2017

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

https://twitter.com/mike_cantillon/status/881295471502872576

Some quality fouls were missed by the ref and TMO in that match. Sam Cane on O'Brien I think?

Vunipola should have been red carded and O'Brien will probably eat a suspension for his hit on Naholo.

SOB has just been cleared by the citing committee

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The committees are all shitters.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Didn't see that coming, was pretty sure he'd take a ban for that.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Are they the same committee that looked at the Umaga/Mealamu/O'Driscoll tackle from '05?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

gently caress even I'm getting bored of people bringing that up

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey, so, in the other part of the world it was a pretty good day for USA Rugby! The Eagles qualified for the 2019 World Cup as Americans 1, for the first time ever, and get Pool C with England, France, Argentina, and [Oceania 2 TBD].

Here are some highlights, I recommend watching them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl_OE_TxQmo

I recorded and saved it for July 4th, which turned out to be a good call.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 4, 2017

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

That's fun rugby!

USA's #8 looked hella-good.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah Dolan is a stud. And he plays for Cardiff Blues, you could watch him live next season.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 5, 2017

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

bigfoot again posted:

1. He jumped to catch the ball, it's hardly milking a penalty.
2. The ref applied the laws. What would you like him to do?

he had a foot on the ground when he caught it

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Soviet Space Dog posted:

he had a foot on the ground when he caught it

It was a no arm chop block too though. If he'd blown up for that it would've been less objectionable for sure.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah Dolan is a stud. And he plays for Cardiff Blues, you could watch him live next season.

He left the Blues at the end of the season. He was there 2 years and never really played.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Here's the All Blacks team to play this weekend.

1. Joe Moody
2. Codie Taylor
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read (C)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Julian Savea
12. Ngani Laumape
13. Anton Lienert-Brown
14. Israel Dagg
15. Jordie Barrett

16. Nathan Harris
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Scott Barrett
20. Ardie Savea
21. TJ Perenara
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Malakai Fekitoa

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

stavros880 posted:

He left the Blues at the end of the season. He was there 2 years and never really played.

Whoops, I guess his profile wasn't updated.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

gently caress yeah Jordie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lions
1. Mako Vunipola
2. Jamie George
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Maro Itoje