Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

I keep forgetting to review this mostly because they don't have an index so I can check the rest out.

Anyways, wrt Lily: Her NP heals everyone, not just herself, and for a surprisingly useful amount. Her NP charge skill affects everyone, so she can help others charge faster. Once she finally gets her NP5 from Saber Wars she does respectable damage thanks to a higher-than-average multiplier and the fact she's NP5. (This last one applies to all freebies)

wrt Atalanta: Her NP can easily generate 30-50 (or even more) stars. She's great for setting up Buster critmemes, although admittedly it's not quite relevant with the release day set of servants.

I have an index in the second post of the thread, if you want to comment about more of them then they're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The reviews are excellent and extremely helpful, but are there other reviews and guides that break down future releases we might want to chase and why they are so good? I know stuff like Jalter and Merlin are big draws in the distant future but there isn't really a lot of information about why they are so good (or characters/gachas that are to be avoided etc.). I know there is a big theme of "use who you like" and everything being good in its own way but I'm also interested in simultaneously breaking the game over my knee

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I planned to write some reviews in future servants before they drop both for JP people wanting to know about certain servants at the time they release and for NA people wanting to know about upcoming servants. These will be much less consistent, but yeah I will prob be doing that:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm running out of friend points. I have no friends.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The material gathering quests are the ones that are currently hosed/not available yet, right? According to this, today is Saber materials but I still fought Carmilla in the 30AP which I'm fairly sure I already did a few days ago.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That wiki uses the JP schedule and time for it, so yeah the American one is on a different set of mat gathering quests because I guess letting people buff their servants too early would be more fun than the JP version had.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
What quests give you the ascension items? I want to make Anderson good.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

What quests give you the ascension items? I want to make Anderson good.

Unfortunately the materials for Andersen's second ascension won't be available for a few months yet.

If you still need Caster pieces for his first ascension you can get them from today's Duel with the four Warriors or from main story quests.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 2, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hahaha, in his Interlude you accidentally trick Cu Chulainn into eating dog.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I am friends with an endless tide of Lvl 1 Mashs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Once Herc hits 50 I'm going to stop messing around and just finish the story, because that is easily the best way to get pieces. Then when I'm done I can step back and see what I'm missing.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

NRVNQSR posted:

Unfortunately the materials for Andersen's second ascension won't be available for a few months yet.

If you still need Caster pieces for his first ascension you can get them from today's Duel with the four Warriors or from main story quests.

Not quite that long. They'll be available in the Nero Festival Event. But there won't be any permanent farmable location in the game for a while.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure the ideal friend list is one stupidly high level whale who plays 24 hours a day and fifty incompetent scrubs with L1 Mashs who don't have any friends higher level than you. Who also play 24 hours a day.

Trihugger posted:

Not quite that long. They'll be available in the Nero Festival Event.

Yeah and that was about two months after release in Japan, wasn't it? Do we know how long it took the Chinese or Taiwanese versions of the game to get their first events?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I managed to roll 5* Zhuge Liang... and a level 19 Zhuge Liang + level 37 Jeanne let me clear the level 40 EXP quests

This guy is OP, isn't he?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I actually statted up my fan Servants when I was bored at work this week. Since we're all shamelessly nerdy here, Imma post them.

Odysseus - 5-Star Assassion
AAQQB
NP: Arts, Trojan Horse, AoE ignores defense and invulnerability, inflicts debufff
Passive skills: Riding B, Divinity C, Presence Concealment A
Skills: Military Tactics A+, Protection Against the Wind A, I am Nobody (lowers own star weigth, oncreases star weigth and crit damage of rest of party, generates crit stars)

Leon Trotsky - 3-Star Avenger
AAAQB
NP: Arts, Eternal Revolution, Removes all charges and inflicts damage based on the number of charge removed
Passive Skills: Avenger C, Riding C
Skills: Military Tactics B, Charisma B, Guts (5 turns, I time, 1000 hp)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

deathbot posted:

I managed to roll 5* Zhuge Liang... and a level 19 Zhuge Liang + level 37 Jeanne let me clear the level 40 EXP quests

We haven't even unlocked his 3rd skill. Buddy you ain't seen nothing yet.

Although Jeanne /Waver is a pretty powerful combo right now because their heavy Arts focus means you can constantly debuff the enemy and buff your side with Stone Sentinel Maze and Luminosite Eternal

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

deathbot posted:

He and another caster are meta-defining

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm running out of friend points. I have no friends.

Same here. I still can't add myself to the Friend doc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You will follow us Robespierre!

His crazy HP, though...

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I'm running out of space with all the exp. cards I'm getting, so I guess Saber Lily is eating this pile of Saber cards, since she's the only one I have.

I did the Hercules Interlude, and the second quest was several orders of magnitude harder than the 40 AP dailies, and yet it gave out 1/10th the experience for completing it. (Or less than half the experience per AP spent I guess.)

I honestly have to force myself to complete the story every now and then or I'd just be doing the AP dailies non-stop, since the story doesn't even have the decency of dropping mats often enough. If not for the Saint Doohickeys you get for each section, I don't think I could bring myself to even touch the story until all my servants are maxed.

Doesn't help that Orleans' story is nothing but: Jeanne feels bad about Jeanne Alter doing bad things. Gets interrupted by mooks. Marie teases and/or flirts with someone. Gets interrupted by mooks. Mozart looks like an alien in his portrait art. Gets interrupted by mooks. Siegfried is completely useless. Gets interrupted by mooks. Vive la France! Vive le mooks.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Sophism posted:

I honestly have to force myself to complete the story every now and then or I'd just be doing the AP dailies non-stop, since the story doesn't even have the decency of dropping mats often enough. If not for the Saint Doohickeys you get for each section, I don't think I could bring myself to even touch the story until all my servants are maxed.

When it comes to farming ascension materials I'm pretty sure the best free quests are better than the current dailies, so that's a strong reason to go through the story and unlock them.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
so according to AX Gilgamesh is coming 'soon'

its been said hes really good and worth rolling for but why specifically?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Small question, does having card last in the order gain the effects I.E. an NP card last gets more than if picked first?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MotU posted:

so according to AX Gilgamesh is coming 'soon'

its been said hes really good and worth rolling for but why specifically?

I'm gonna post 5* servants tonight and he'll be in there. To make it short though, he has an AOE buster-based NP that almost everyone in the game takes extra damage from, his self buffs allow him to swallow in crit stars that let him poo poo out damage with busters cards and it doubles as an NP gain, and he just does a hell of a lot of damage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gil both makes a lot of stars and eats up a lot of stars

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
IIRC, from what I read when researching whether I should save up for him, all of Gilgamesh's attacks, including Buster, does 5 hits of damage each, letting him wrack up a lot of NP gauge or crit stats, because both of those are tied to how much your Servant hits. I might be thinking of another Servant, but I'm pretty sure it's Gilgamesh.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Still can't roll any of the 2*s I actually want. Grrrrrr.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gologle posted:

IIRC, from what I read when researching whether I should save up for him, all of Gilgamesh's attacks, including Buster, does 5 hits of damage each, letting him wrack up a lot of NP gauge or crit stats, because both of those are tied to how much your Servant hits. I might be thinking of another Servant, but I'm pretty sure it's Gilgamesh.

Some others do as well, but this is definitely Gil's thing due to how his attacks work. Since he's just uses Gate of Babylon for everything, his standard attack pattern of "shoot lots of weapons at them" applies for all his attacks, just in different ways, and thus it's a bunch of hits.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm excited because he is very cute

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

btw if you fail to roll gil here there's 3* kid gil and 4* caster gil later on, if you're satisfied with just any gilgamesh

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah I had to do a culling. Turns out a lot of people straight up never fill out their support slots.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I straight up removed Mash from my support list, just to be sure.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

When it comes to farming ascension materials I'm pretty sure the best free quests are better than the current dailies, so that's a strong reason to go through the story and unlock them.

Naw, you still want to do the 30AP dailies when applicable, especially at this stage of the game. Well, at least if the final wave has something you'd like since 30AP for a guaranteed drop is actually really good for what is dropped in that final wave. In the thursday monster hunt that means you're always getting a phoenix plume or a bow gem and for the friday monster hunt you're always getting a dragon aho, heart of a foreign god or rider/caster gems. All of those things save the gems are only realistically farmed from those quests at this point in the game. For caster gems, that is also the best place to get them (maybe the only place too?).

For the piece/monument quests it really depends on what you want. If you just want void's refuse and pieces/monuments in general--you kind of should at this stage of the game--then they're absolutely the best thing for you to be doing since, again, 30AP for a guaranteed drop is really good. Comparatively, you could expect to spend at least 50AP for each piece and hundreds for each monument via free quests. For pieces this may or may not be a good idea if you want specific ones or other drops from the quest (for example, Jura's free quest also can give dragon fangs and ygg seeds), but in all other cases it's a terrible idea over just doing the daily and collecting whatever pieces/monuments are thrown your way because you'll have a use for all of them even if just to collect interlude quartz.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Small question, does having card last in the order gain the effects I.E. an NP card last gets more than if picked first?

Yes, cards increase their effect based on their order (so if you choose a quick card for your third card, it will make more stars than if it was second) and gain a bit of the effect of the first card in the chain.

"Increasing Effect" means increasing damage and star gen on buster cards, damage and np gain on arts cards, and damage, np, and stars on quick cards.

In a situation where you are chaining an arts card and two non-arts cards, the question is whether you get more NP from putting the Arts first or Third. If the combo uses multiple servants, you get the most from putting it last, but if it's a Brave Chain using one servant, then you also have the extra attack getting the effect from the first card in the chain.

So should you put arts first or last in a Brave Chain? IIRC, it's really close, to the point it kind of depends on the class of the servant and the exact chain.

Someone on reddit made a spreadsheet comparing np gain for every class and chain combination, but I can't find it right now. I do remember that if you have a Quick, Arts, and Buster card for one servant, most of the time you get more NP going ABQE than you do going QBAE or BQAE.

The wiki page has a page with some more numbers on how place in the order changes effect.

http://fategrandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Command_Cards

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I ascended Hercules and F/SN Lancer. Lancer is now way better than my Emiya, at least stats-wise plus his NP is leveled up a bunch. Also, while I knew ascending changed their portraits I did not know it could also change their in-battle sprites. That's cool.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

You can make mana prisms pretty easy by just selling silver xp cards. I spent the last few days running the 30 ap quest over and over and just burning the off class materials

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Apparently Euryale isn't actually in the game yet? I guess she'll be added for Okeanos.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Sophism posted:

Doesn't help that Orleans' story is nothing but: Jeanne feels bad about Jeanne Alter doing bad things. Gets interrupted by mooks. Marie teases and/or flirts with someone. Gets interrupted by mooks. Mozart looks like an alien in his portrait art. Gets interrupted by mooks. Siegfried is completely useless. Gets interrupted by mooks. Vive la France! Vive le mooks.

: "Master, your orders!"

Inverse posted:

windmill slam busters till the enemy is dead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I ascended Hercules and F/SN Lancer. Lancer is now way better than my Emiya, at least stats-wise plus his NP is leveled up a bunch. Also, while I knew ascending changed their portraits I did not know it could also change their in-battle sprites. That's cool.
you can also go into the formation > card screen and change your servants back to their earlier sprites/art if you prefer those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Endorph posted:

you can also go into the formation > card screen and change your servants back to their earlier sprites/art if you prefer those

Looking at you Saber Lily.