Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Video games are not a niche subgenre, they are a huge industry, rivaling movies. The consumers of video games are standard people, not alt-right 4channers. "Gamer" is not actually a niche subculture.

the Mass Effect series didn't drop off in sales after it introduced gay romance options. Tomb Raider games sold better after they changed Lara Croft to have smaller boobs and wear pants. Farcry 5 will sell better than Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash

Video games are firmly in the realm of normies
Oh you're completely right on that point. It's just that the more video games you play & if you actually identify with "gamer" culture in any way (rather than just being a human being that sometimes plays video Games) it drastically increases the odds you're a sad stupid reactionary gently caress
Like we were talking about RLM (for some stupid reason f those clowns) but they're just as emblematic of baseline YouTube comment culture pandering what with their "lol those sjws!!!" & "why would a black child care about the race of their toys, take it from us, old white dudes" type bullshit even more constantly now, all while playing that South Park "gosh we're not taking a side though, BOTH sides r craZy!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah as you said games are in the realm of normies

"Gamers" don't consider themselves normies.

Do you see where I'm going with this

I don't even think the majority of people who watch twitch streams are the pepe types. I really think that you're overestimating the numbers of the alt-right. They're extremely vocal because they have no lives and never shut up, but if they were a big group then that would have evidence, somewhere. But it terms of actual real world impact, what have they done? Briefly made Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball a best-seller on video game import sites?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like we were talking about RLM (for some stupid reason f those clowns) but they're just as emblematic of baseline YouTube comment culture pandering what with their "lol those sjws!!!" & "why would a black child care about the race of their toys, take it from us, old white dudes" type bullshit even more constantly now, all while playing that South Park "gosh we're not taking a side though, BOTH sides r craZy!!!"

You're still mad about lady Ghostbusters?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't even think the majority of people who watch twitch streams are the pepe types. I really think that you're overestimating the numbers of the alt-right. They're extremely vocal because they have no lives and never shut up, but if they were a big group then that would have evidence, somewhere. But it terms of actual real world impact, what have they done? Briefly made Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball a best-seller on video game import sites?

You're still mad about lady Ghostbusters?
Don't be cute. It's got nothing to do with loving lady ghostbusters and if you haven't picked up on their vibes, well, no surprise
Feels like they pander to the lovely YouTube commenter culture more than they ever have these days. It's where they make their money.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're putting a lot of words in the my mouth. I never said poo poo about alt right, pepe, ghost busters, doa extreme, or whatever the gently caress. I said, people who identify themselves as "gamers" lean more to the right. Gamers are not normies, and normies are not gamers. Do you need me to spell it out for you even more.

The majority of people who play video games don't go on twitch or go to conventions or whatever, they're just normal people. But theres a lot of people who self identify as a "gamer" as some sort of class or some poo poo. Now I'm gonna assume you identify as a "gamer" and thats why you keep defending games culture or whatever the gently caress so much. But in the realm of "GAMERS" the majority of them who are either online, on twitter, on twitch, on reddit, on 4chan, etc., identify more to the right..

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

RLM is good

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
video game's

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thinking a lot of people itt enjoyed South Park as teens and genuinely thought they were "unbiased"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I brought up RLM since their Prev_Recorded streams worked well as a way for some of the crew to stream and occasionally be able to involve other members in the crew that weren't as game-centric. Those two tweets with FDB had them push the idea to compete against Stefan Molyneaux and Sargon of Akkad type streams, which seems like a bad idea to limit their scope that way.

Specially when your average twitch viewer has far, far more choices to chose their time with.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/791030010358304768

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You're putting a lot of words in the my mouth. I never said poo poo about alt right, pepe, ghost busters, doa extreme, or whatever the gently caress. I said, people who identify themselves as "gamers" lean more to the right. Gamers are not normies, and normies are not gamers. Do you need me to spell it out for you even more.

The majority of people who play video games don't go on twitch or go to conventions or whatever, they're just normal people. But theres a lot of people who self identify as a "gamer" as some sort of class or some poo poo. Now I'm gonna assume you identify as a "gamer" and thats why you keep defending games culture or whatever the gently caress so much. But in the realm of "GAMERS" the majority of them who are either online, on twitter, on twitch, on reddit, on 4chan, etc., identify more to the right..

Twitch is super popular, dude. It's one of the biggest sources of internet traffic, up there with Netflix. I'm gonna assume you identify as a gamer, and that's why you're getting so mad about this.

Serf
May 5, 2011

again this a man who did a political 180 because of a single criticism in a review of the witcher 3 lol

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Don't be cute. It's got nothing to do with loving lady ghostbusters and if you haven't picked up on their vibes, well, no surprise
Feels like they pander to the lovely YouTube commenter culture more than they ever have these days. It's where they make their money.

Dude, check out their Transformers 5 reviews. RLM is now actively antagonizing and insulting their youtube commenters

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

but they called lady ghostbusters a bad movie that wasn't funny, how can they not be pepes?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
seems kind of berniebro to have ghostbusters who only bust lady ghosts

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Serf posted:

again this a man who did a political 180 because of a single criticism in a review of the witcher 3 lol

Gimme some context. This sounds entertaining.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
My top three identities

1. Gamer
2. Gender
3. Poster

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Again this has nothing to do with lady ghostbusters jfc

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

seems kind of berniebro to have ghostbusters who only bust lady ghosts

#ghostbustersgoingtheirownway

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Again this has nothing to do with lady ghostbusters jfc

Then what is it about? Because outside of some twitch stream I've never seen their main critique seems to be Hollywood cynically using lib pure identity politics to sell lovely movies

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

they don't actually.

sorry you're so upset about the lady ghostbusters. they just couldn't stack up to the real ghostbusters

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Twitch is super popular, dude. It's one of the biggest sources of internet traffic, up there with Netflix. I'm gonna assume you identify as a gamer, and that's why you're getting so mad about this.

i dont identify as a gamer

also you are a retard :)

Serf
May 5, 2011

prefect posted:

Gimme some context. This sounds entertaining.

iirc some review from a european no-name site remarked that it would be nice if there were more female character models besides supermodel and average and ian lost his fuckin mind. he was raving about lies from the gaming media (he runs a gaming news website that was doing really bad at the time), and started being very vocal about how he was unblocking gamergaters and the tone and content of his site shifted immediately. it was pretty transparent that the dude was waiting for start catering to the proto alt-right shitheads of the internet but he picked the absolute dumbest reason to do so.

before this he was like a staunch liberal dude and poo poo. the "meltdown" was amazing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A lot of gamers mad about lady ghostbusters itt

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

"Are Video Games Counterrevolutionary" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh you're completely right on that point. It's just that the more video games you play & if you actually identify with "gamer" culture in any way (rather than just being a human being that sometimes plays video Games) it drastically increases the odds you're a sad stupid reactionary gently caress

same goes for the comics industry

so many loving nerds think Marvel NOW is tanking because ESS JAY DOUBUY00 characters like FemThor and Miles

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I only have one policy stance and it's that if u identify as a gamer u are castrated by the government

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/Zero_Gov/status/881532186263814144

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i like video games

Dirt
May 26, 2003

A lot of the things I personally enjoy are supported by some of the worst possible people on the planet.

I enjoy: Video games, death metal and other noisy metal genres that most people hate, MMA, and NFL/CFB.

Video game culture is loving gross, and I am more embarrassed to admit to playing video games in public than admitting I listen to death metal unironically. The metal world is filled with Nazi's, fascists, people who worship church burning dorks from Norway, nerds, weirdos, etc. This is less embarrassing to me than gamer culture.

I still have no idea what gamergate is even about because I actively avoid reading video game related anything. I just assume the gamer people are wrong, because they always are.

edit: What I m trying to say is you can like dumb things and still be a decent person I guess.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 2, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/736707029394292737

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Suspicious posted:

being called a statist by a libertarian/anarchist/whatever is about as insulting as being called an adult fucker by a pedophile

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
RLM did one of their re:view vids about starship troopers and they actually made a lot of the same points as that frost/christman episode, and as you'd expect the comments had a bunch of guys going "oh so eveyone's a fascist now huh i guess the word has lost all meaning just like racist" or whatever. they have some lovely fans if youtube comment sections are anything to go by, i mean they mostly focus on action/horror/scifi and super hero nerd poo poo, and ocasionally make mildly problematic jokes while being unconstrained by wokeness, i can see why they might attract some dumb edgy nerd fans. but I don't really see them going out of their way to trigger people or any other kind of dumb right-wing internet troll stuff

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
speaking of midwesterners who routinely consume hollywood action trash out of a sense of duty, it's funny as hell to me that matt has watched every transformers movie

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zikan posted:

"Are Video Games Counterrevolutionary" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

I wanna read that.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

RLM did one of their re:view vids about starship troopers and they actually made a lot of the same points as that frost/christman episode, and as you'd expect the comments had a bunch of guys going "oh so eveyone's a fascist now huh i guess the word has lost all meaning just like racist" or whatever. they have some lovely fans if youtube comment sections are anything to go by

oh trust me, i know

i know

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm just gonna keep playing video games but never calling myself a gamer because gamers suck and consumption does not define me, I'm normal

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

cat doter posted:

I'm just gonna keep playing video games but never calling myself a gamer because gamers suck and consumption does not define me, I'm normal

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I try not to let my consumption define me, but it's hard when you're dying of tuberculosis.