Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
never play games on hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

He's saying that Ghost Babel has a dissapointing plot that makes no sense both in general and in the Metal Gear overall storyline, and a crappy ending. Like MGS5! Seems pretty clear to me.

Yeah but why though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
especially not in that era when hard usually just meant "ehh just give everything twice as much health and throw out everything catfish just said about damage ratios"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i played serious sam last year and it's not good. the weapons feel like garbage, much like my posting

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

It's not up for debate, it literally is missing its ending.

The phantom pain

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Real hurthling! posted:

The phantom pain

The pain is in yer butt.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Prey starts great but by 50% of the way through its one of the most boring and tedious games ive beaten in a while and ive cleared some hot garbo this year. Arkane needs to rethink wtf they are doing when they send you back and forth between opposite ends of the game world like 3 times in a row and call it an endgame.

Im glad this poo poo bombed hard

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Real hurthling! posted:

Prey starts great but by 50% of the way through its one of the most boring and tedious games ive beaten in a while and ive cleared some hot garbo this year. Arkane needs to rethink wtf they are doing when they send you back and forth between opposite ends of the game world like 3 times in a row and call it an endgame.

Im glad this poo poo bombed hard

The last hour of Prey sucks but the other 16 hours is pretty god drat good so I'd say hmmm nah to this

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guffaw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm playing the demos on my ps4

nier automata - the controls feel awkward, why is drone-gun R1 and dodge on R2, can I remap it?? also the lock on would seem to not move on to the next enemy when the previous enemy was defeated. the demo ended with 2B and 9S using black boxes so i dunno if that giant boss was the part where some goons said "i died to it!" and people got angry at them or if that's later. i didn't die to it though

DOOM 2016 - it looks fantastic and runs at 60fps but trying to play DOOM with a controller is a bad time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can put two fingers over the trigger

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I finished Wolfenstein 2009 until right at the end when enough of my saves got corrupted. Stopped short of fighting a multi-tiered boss fight with constant repeated dialog. Now to continue Breath of Fire 3 and slowly break the faerie village.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can remap all the controls to nier a, but I don't recommend it.

Also don't use lockon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DQ Heroes II demo - didnt play the first. i like that they treat the musou level like an overworld, that's cool. i think i like this particular flavor of musou soup. although there was a boss called night clubber where it felt a little like an MMO boss, just hackin away and hackin away and using spells and hackin away as a lifebar slllooooowwwwllly drains

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do not buy the Vita version of Ys Origin. It runs like complete dogshit during every bossfight

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd say Doom 2016 was good but just too long so it outstayed its welcome at one point and the way secrets and collectibles were hanged in front of your face worked against the gameplay design.

Titanfall 2 was fantastic but it's not fair to bash Doom while ignoring TF2's problems. Between the good levels it had some really weak ones, held your hand constantly, had some pretty obnoxious level design walling you in everywhere and it never really reached its full potential (it could really use another huge level with more mobility and more mech enemies).

I had a lot of fun with both titles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

DQ Heroes II demo - didnt play the first. i like that they treat the musou level like an overworld, that's cool. i think i like this particular flavor of musou soup. although there was a boss called night clubber where it felt a little like an MMO boss, just hackin away and hackin away and using spells and hackin away as a lifebar slllooooowwwwllly drains

Game is good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also remember when Red Faction 1 let you drill holes through levels and build staircases in walls using an RPG? I remember and at the time I thought 'man, a new cool era of FPSes just started, I can't wait to see what other studios do with this concept' and then nobody picked the idea up ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's so many good FPS ideas that nobody has ever used again

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Have to go into work late this morning to cash a cheque for my wrecked car, used the time productively to finish the High Road level in Crash Bandicoot, haven't felt this great a sense of relief at a videogame since downing Gehrman, The First Hunter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like. What if somebody tried to design a FPS with no vlook. Why not try it? Even in the cavalcade of indie junk I don't know of any game that has successfully revisited that idea

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

Also remember when Red Faction 1 let you drill holes through levels and build staircases in walls using an RPG? I remember and at the time I thought 'man, a new cool era of FPSes just started, I can't wait to see what other studios do with this concept' and then nobody picked the idea up ever.

Including Red Faction 1 :v:

Man that was a fun game though. I never played any of the others (I heard 2 is bad, the third one is good, and the fourth one is okay) but 1 was a blast and my only real complaint would be that by the end of the game you weren't really getting to deform terrain much and also that there was no way to save your buddy from dying at the end :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Like. What if somebody tried to design a FPS with no vlook. Why not try it? Even in the cavalcade of indie junk I don't know of any game that has successfully revisited that idea

What is vlook

I tried looking it up but the results I get are not related to FPS games

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Looking up and down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Nobody has ever successfully visited that idea in the first place. The only reason it worked in Doom in the first place is because the game ignores height so you can still shoot things that aren't on the exact same level as you.

FirstAidKite posted:

What is vlook

I tried looking it up but the results I get are not related to FPS games

Being able to look up

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In Training posted:

I actually thought Terra Nova had no vlook in it until I discovered that they bound looking up and down to the R and V keys.

Old-school keybinds are just the wildest things sometimes. :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

dogs space marines can't look up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My issues with Doom 2016, besides the awful story, is that the stages are wayyyy too long. The original doom had very quick and to the point maps and that's what people loved about it. There's a lot of slowly making your way to the next objective in Doom 2016, really long empty corridors, and they don't need to be that long. A lot of that stuff feels like padding the runtime, like some suit was worried someone would say the campaign is under 10 hours and no one would buy it. The other is the bosses are just terrible. The Cyberdemon's kinda neat, but everything else is so lame and forgettable.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh ok, thanks.

Unrelated, but I can't sleep and I am annoyed because I am tired but I can't actually do the "sleep" part, bleh. Hopefully I'll be able to drift off here soonish but until then, I hope everyone is having a good night/morning.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated, but I can't sleep and I am annoyed because I am tired but I can't actually do the "sleep" part, bleh. Hopefully I'll be able to drift off here soonish but until then, I hope everyone is having a good night/morning.

I hope you sleep well when you do!

I've been having bad nights lately but then there's a lot of bad stuff going down in my family, so. :shrug:

Thankfully games have been great to me in my time of need, providing lots of good escapism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh ok, thanks.

When I ingest too much caffeine that's what happens to me. Caffeine has never woken me up or given me energy, it just prevents me from falling asleep, it's the worst drug. *drinks iced cappuccino*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also I just 100% cleared Hollow Knight and got all three endings and I can't recommend it enough, the game combines two game design influences / inspirations that are both really easy to get wrong or overstay their welcome and is somehow flawless at both at them

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
gently caress me, I must have died 70 times on THe High Road, only twice on Slippery Climb

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hope you sleep well when you do!

I've been having bad nights lately but then there's a lot of bad stuff going down in my family, so. :shrug:

Thankfully games have been great to me in my time of need, providing lots of good escapism.

For now I think I might just play some more DROD because that seems like a solid way to put me to sleep. It's not a bad game, just the puzzles are the kind that can tire my brain out after a while so that'd be useful right now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I actually thought Terra Nova had no vlook in it until I discovered that they bound looking up and down to the R and V keys.

Old-school keybinds are just the wildest things sometimes. :allears:

Just a reminder that Quake, the game that put 3D shooters on the map, assumed gamers wouldn't be comfortable with a mouse and have it turned off by default with up/down bound to a/z.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Another FPS mechanic lost to time: how shooting from cover worked in CoJ: Bound in Blood.

There should be a video game pope announcing perfect video game mechanics that henceforth are to be treated as standard in titles that decide to feature them like the grappling hook in Dying Light.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Mice also used to be really lovely.

Like you'd take it apart and clean it, and put it back together, and then 1 minute later you'd do it again because some chunk of lint you missed was still making it you you couldn't move the mouse to the right.

Optical mice changed things forever in a way few people remember to appreciate.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

world of final fantasy demo was cute, the demo locks you into your game settings so i couldn't change battle speed once i was in and battle speed of 3 is just way too slow. also i realize i prefer the classic layout to the default where you use essentially macros

two more demos to play tomorrow: hitman prologue and DQ builders

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Quest For Glory II posted:

two more demos to play tomorrow: hitman prologue and DQ builders

The DQ Builders demo is massive. I haven't burned so many hours into a demo before, it's a good primer for the game but jsyk the save doesn't carry forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

Just a reminder that Quake, the game that put 3D shooters on the map, assumed gamers wouldn't be comfortable with a mouse and have it turned off by default with up/down bound to a/z.

For all of the genius of those old designers, oof, their GUI gaffes....

• Locked thread