Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This looks better, because the door fits with the style of the room and the trim around the opening.

Or this, where there's no trim to clash with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Turns out those LIVE LAUGH LOVE things aren't always out of place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That reminds me, I visited my mother's house:

There's two of those empty photo frames which have been there a while, and it turns out that "crystal" lights up and I'm pretty sure they think it's actually healing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That's probably just a Himalayan salt block with a light bulb inside. You should lick it next time you're there (don't lick it).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is some Jaden Smith level twitter philosophy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Get a bead curtain and light some nag champa

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You could get a fake door.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pxbsV8QWGic

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The only acceptable use of a live laugh love

http://imgur.com/wEAqqZe

(Or the guy that swapped the one in his sister's powder room with a live laugh lube framed print)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

PRADA SLUT posted:

Get a bead curtain and light some nag champa

Are you talking poo poo about bead curtains? Frida is judging you.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
When evaluating design trends, it's important that we keep our eyes on its overall place in history.

http://harddawn.com/open-concept-today-open-borders-tomorrow/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Drape Culture posted:

When evaluating design trends, it's important that we keep our eyes on its overall place in history.

http://harddawn.com/open-concept-today-open-borders-tomorrow/

I'm getting POE's law'd hard here

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The only acceptable use of a live laugh love

http://imgur.com/wEAqqZe

(Or the guy that swapped the one in his sister's powder room with a live laugh lube framed print)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Live and Love pictures should be swapped.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
No, love should be the guy in the bear costume

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well the door chat was for nought because the builder went and framed it out while I was away. And did some other things without checking first. And there's some other trouble too. And now we've had a falling out with months left on the project.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Arachnamus posted:

Well the door chat was for nought because the builder went and framed it out while I was away. And did some other things without checking first. And there's some other trouble too. And now we've had a falling out with months left on the project.

Other trouble? Such as......?

(Include pictures)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They actually do a competent job of the actual building but turns out the guy's a pathological liar and is totally cool with making up conversations we didn't have when confronted with having not followed through on arrangements.

One of the other things he's started doing with no notice is building a front extension. No contract signed, I didn't even know it was happening until I came home and found my flagstones gone.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Arachnamus posted:

One of the other things he's started doing with no notice is building a front extension. No contract signed, I didn't even know it was happening until I came home and found my flagstones gone.

should be no problem, the drawings will be right there on the permit he got :downs:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That's the only reason he's not fired yet; there's a slightly different process over here where I'm responsible for getting the planning permission but he gets bollocked by the council if he does work outside those permits. So I do have the correct plans and permissions for that extension and we have agreed a price, but maybe he could give the homeowner a goddamn heads-up before busting out the digger.

This is perhaps not the best thread to moan about builders, though.

Edit: I have moved the ranting to a new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 26, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824581

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Look what they loving did to the V&A! :(

Is it legal to hunt down architects and punch them for crimes against humanity? Pricks.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jun/28/v-and-a-victoria-and-albert-museum-courtyard-amanda-levete

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm glad the courtyard now opens to the street, the internals/underground look cool to me, and the existing courtyard was always kinda naff, but yeah the new one doesn't look great.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem is that it's just so disjointed. Somone wanted to leave a mark or make a point about modern art and I'm sure as it was pitched as "in 100 years it won't be modern anymore", problem is in 20 years time somone is going to be looking at it going "I hope we don't find the building's damaged when we start ripping out this gently caress ugly cafe"

We don't actually lack galleries or venues for modern art in the UK, they just feel it's their god given right to make a mark on absolutely everything because modern art is for intellectuals, and clearly if you don't like it you are an idiot with a valueless opinion. It happened at Chelsea as well. The one show garden that actually looked like a garden didn't get awarded even though it was the one the public loved the best, and they gave best in show to a imported quarry with monoliths.

I get quite Cross when people vandalise our historical buildings, it's like we learned nothing from the 1970s.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There's a beautiful 99% Invisible about the new fake real old Old Town Warsaw about this subject.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As modern additions go that's not horrible. It mostly leaves the existing building alone instead of bolting huge SciFi elements to/through the facade, and the actual new building is fairly clean and open. If she managed to make the underground spaces suitable for their intended use, I'd say it succeeded well above average for such extensions.

I'll want to see it in person before deciding if I like it, though.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This house in my general neck of the woods goes up for sale about every six months or so, and I love it every single time. I don't know if it's the same sellers every time or if people actually buy it and then decide living in it really isn't for them. It would take a special kind of person to want to live in this house.

Bask in all its Medieval Times glory!!!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good lord. Pick a loving style. Love the fake banded panels on the entryway ceiling leading to the normal-rear end kitchen.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This house in my general neck of the woods goes up for sale about every six months or so, and I love it every single time. I don't know if it's the same sellers every time or if people actually buy it and then decide living in it really isn't for them. It would take a special kind of person to want to live in this house.

Bask in all its Medieval Times glory!!!

According to available records, not sold since 2011, just multiple price drops.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Either commit to your caste house or don't.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's pretty typical for an unsellable house, it pops on and off the market so as to avoid the dreaded "perpetually on the market" limbo state. In this case, obviously, it'll make no difference.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

Either commit to your caste house or don't.

I don't remember the address, but on Google maps you could see that they had a moat made of swimming pools around the keep, as it were.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Bad Munki posted:

That's pretty typical for an unsellable house, it pops on and off the market so as to avoid the dreaded "perpetually on the market" limbo state. In this case, obviously, it'll make no difference.

Which is one of the pitfalls of building your "dream castle home" -- eventually you'll have to sell it. Either that, or your kids will after you die.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Which is one of the pitfalls of building your "dream castle home" -- eventually you'll have to sell it. Either that, or your kids will after you die.

Right, and if your dream home involved unconventional features it probably cost more to build than a conventional home with the same square footage and number of rooms, but it isn't necessarily worth more to anyone but you. You're likely to lose money.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Bad Munki posted:

For some reason that reminded me to check up on house we looked at that was having trouble selling partly because of a really meh/slightly weird kitchen renovation but largely because the location was just not great. It's got some gorgeous detail, but one block off of Germantown there leaves you not only with underperforming public schools but also in an area that will probably get better ... but might not. But really, check this place out. It lacked central air and there was some work that was left to be done (which in one of these houses could be fine or could be a total disaster after you get into it), but I still think about this place sometimes, it really was beautiful.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cool, you nearly bought the house from Jumanji.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

You can't put a Home Depot kitchen in a place with millwork like that. Come ON.

I will forever advocate against custom cabinetry in nearly all cases, but in that house it's a crime not to go all out to match the rest of it.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Tricky Ed posted:

I will forever advocate against custom cabinetry in nearly all case

Why would you do this?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Arachnamus posted:

Good lord. Pick a loving style. Love the fake banded panels on the entryway ceiling leading to the normal-rear end kitchen.

I have to admit, on review I'm mildly disappointed that there's not a single suit of armor to be found in any of those photos.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I have to admit, on review I'm mildly disappointed that there's not a single suit of armor to be found in any of those photos.

i was surprised that the entire thing wasn't furnished by Design Toscano from Skymall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I don't deserve to live in a house that pretty.