Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's hard for me to look at that card and not the two good ones it's next to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I dunno about the 2/1, it's double blue so that's going to be awkward to reliably have online turn 2.

The red dude is legit, though. Borderline playable even without Spark, and fantastic at four with it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

From Discord, another:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

From Discord, another:

Almost certainly not playable. 2/6 for 5 every turn draw a third of a card. Would definitely have preferred to see a better statline on this.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

Almost certainly not playable. 2/6 for 5 every turn draw a third of a card. Would definitely have preferred to see a better statline on this.

Being able to play it off the top of your deck helps a bit, but I'm not sold yet.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It would be really good at 4, 5 is slightly on the expensive side (which is par for the course for cards that themselves have Warp). 6 toughness walls a lot of dudes while giving you solid incremental advantage.

I think it'll see play in decks that want to durdle around, though it's not the big haymaker that draws you into that sort of deck in the first place.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't even notice the card itself had warp. That's actually substantially better, I understand why it's 5 now. Ignore my previous post, this card has some potential.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Seems good...

Looking forward to "Spark - Draw a Torch."

Anyone brainstormed decklists for this event?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

For someone who's been out of the loop, what the hell do mentor and student mean as keywords?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Hauki posted:

For someone who's been out of the loop, what the hell do mentor and student mean as keywords?

Mentor - Exhaust another friendly unit, it becomes a student and gets something.

The exhaust is a little rough for aggro, but there seems to be some keyword love in Hooru which makes that potentially worth the exhaustion?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah Mentor seems to be a Hooru keyword, basically. It's only been on cards in that faction.

Mentor: Hooru
Spark: Skycrag
Lifeforce: Xenan
Warp: Praxis
Revenge: Argenport

Those are the new keywords we know of so far, but I believe it was spoiled from the Discord that there would be at least 10 new keywords.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Anniversary posted:

Anyone brainstormed decklists for this event?

I slapped this pile of time fatties together:
4 Copper Conduit (Set1 #66)
4 Initiate of the Sands (Set1 #74)
4 Predator's Instinct (Set1 #75)
4 Friendly Wisp (Set1 #82)
3 Voice of the Speaker (Set1 #78)
4 Ageless Mentor (Set1 #90)
4 Dawnwalker (Set1 #86)
4 Scorpion Wasp (Set1 #96)
4 Sandstorm Titan (Set1 #99)
4 Xenan Obelisk (Set1 #103)
4 Twinbrood Sauropod (Set1 #113)
1 Mystic Ascendant (Set1 #116)
1 Predatory Carnosaur (Set1 #118)
1 Marisen, the Eldest (Set1 #123)
2 Talir, Who Sees Beyond (Set1 #124)
23 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
4 Amber Monument (Set1 #420)

It's pretty slow, I don't like having no removal and I feel like I should be running some number of Silences and Lumen Defenders but I don't know what to cut.
Edit: On the positive side getting to 8 Power and storming off with Talir is really cool and fun.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 29, 2017

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I don't think you want voice of the speaker, temple scribe fits the plan better. Maybe cut a twinbrood or two, add some Praxis Displacers and cut the top end. Ageless Mentor is a meh, Marisen's Disciple is what you want.

Excavate on a killer'd twinbrood or sandstorm titan or conduit is the hot nuts though.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I have a feeling time is gonna be really strong in this event. Mostly because Titan and dawnwalker are such value.

I'm probably going to run shadow just because I feel like it's my most viable card pool, I enjoy running removal and it maybe will be a decent counter to time and Justice which I anticipate being the most viable. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep it from falling apart to fire...

Someone make me regret undervaluing primal - I just don't see it doing as well here.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can never undervalue primal in constructed.

Mono time and to a lesser extent mono fire have been almost real decks so they're the safest bets. I mean how will other classes compete with temple scribe, amber acolyte, xenan obelisk, and sandstorm titan?

You can always go justice and try to win off of a few big harsh rules if you just want 2 wins. Maybe I'll do that idk. Will probably suck.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 29, 2017

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I like this. Enough solid lifeforce cards may result in a xenan list where refresh and water of life are actually playable

Groundbreaker is cool btw but it has a lot of strings attached to it so we'll have to wait and see. I also like spirit guide but I fear that most of the mentor stuff will be too slow

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tin Tim posted:

I like this. Enough solid lifeforce cards may result in a xenan list where refresh and water of life are actually playable

Groundbreaker is cool btw but it has a lot of strings attached to it so we'll have to wait and see. I also like spirit guide but I fear that most of the mentor stuff will be too slow

Yeah I no poo poo considered running Refresh or Water of Life in my Xenan list for the preview event. Didn't end up trying it out though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I did my five runs with mono time and well...

This is certainly not going to hold seeing how long the event runs but it's still nice to have a shot at staying in the top 100. I think my record was something like 21-4 but it could be one game better or worse. Should have written it down I guess. I also wish they showed your final rank the next time you log in after an event has finished since I have no idea how I placed during the last ones.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 2, 2017

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What was your list, Tin Tim?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I had an older list of my own around that I wanted to upgrade but while I was looking at other lists I found one from Sir Rhino that I really liked and just went with it

4 Sand Warrior (Set1 #64)
1 Predator's Instinct (Set1 #75)
4 Sauropod Wrangler (Set1 #83)
2 Talir's Favored (Set0 #11)
4 Temple Scribe (Set1 #502)
4 Dawnwalker (Set1 #86)
4 Praxis Displacer (Set1 #100)
4 Predatory Carnosaur (Set1 #118)
24 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)

I expected most people to play removal heavy shadow with reaper plus return/strings as their top or some justice midrange crap with rolant/guard for the end. And I liked this list since it ignores slower cards like wasp/mystic and just goes all in on quick ramp and board pressure. Displacer/obelisk are very good haymakers and can make you kill relatively quickly when you curve well. Mentor is also really good since the lack of removal requires you to leverage your stat advantage and force people into bad trades. Getting three blockers for your buffed titan is crushing when you just poo poo out another one or a twinbrood.

The list worked like a charm and I saw mostly shadow, some justice, and like two fire decks. And I didn't run into many time decks so that was maybe the lucky break that I needed cause the mirror can be grueling. You really need to hit a good mentor in those games and I would expect that more people play time by now. I've also lost to a justice flier deck with mantle on silverwings so keep your displacers hidden against such a deck since titan may not safe you. Shadow was a very mixed match bag for me and you basically just throw cards into their removal until something sticks and gets to hit. You can tempo them out since the only sweepers they have are plague(neuters dawnwalker btw) and stray but they can also just keep you down if they draw well and slam down a reaper. At that point you just have to pray that they don't have more than like 2 revive effects and go all in.
Probably would have been a good idea to slot like two copies of dispel :doh:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 2, 2017

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

More spoilers from Omens of the Past:

https://twitter.com/EternalCardGame/status/881945950230650880

Of note, a spell with Revenge!

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tin Tim posted:

I had an older list of my own around that I wanted to upgrade but while I was looking at other lists I found one from Sir Rhino that I really liked and just went with it

4 Sand Warrior (Set1 #64)
1 Predator's Instinct (Set1 #75)
4 Sauropod Wrangler (Set1 #83)
2 Talir's Favored (Set0 #11)
4 Temple Scribe (Set1 #502)
4 Dawnwalker (Set1 #86)
4 Praxis Displacer (Set1 #100)
4 Predatory Carnosaur (Set1 #118)
24 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)

I expected most people to play removal heavy shadow with reaper plus return/strings as their top or some justice midrange crap with rolant/guard for the end. And I liked this list since it ignores slower cards like wasp/mystic and just goes all in on quick ramp and board pressure. Displacer/obelisk are very good haymakers and can make you kill relatively quickly when you curve well. Mentor is also really good since the lack of removal requires you to leverage your stat advantage and force people into bad trades. Getting three blockers for your buffed titan is crushing when you just poo poo out another one or a twinbrood.

The list worked like a charm and I saw mostly shadow, some justice, and like two fire decks. And I didn't run into many time decks so that was maybe the lucky break that I needed cause the mirror can be grueling. You really need to hit a good mentor in those games and I would expect that more people play time by now. I've also lost to a justice flier deck with mantle on silverwings so keep your displacers hidden against such a deck since titan may not safe you. Shadow was a very mixed match bag for me and you basically just throw cards into their removal until something sticks and gets to hit. You can tempo them out since the only sweepers they have are plague(neuters dawnwalker btw) and stray but they can also just keep you down if they draw well and slam down a reaper. At that point you just have to pray that they don't have more than like 2 revive effects and go all in.
Probably would have been a good idea to slot like two copies of dispel :doh:

Played this deck, slotting 2 copies of dispel for 1 of the favored and one of the sand warriors (should have been wrangler, was a nonbo sometimes with the mentor) didn't quite do as well as you, but I managed to get 64th place with a record of 20-6 or so. Dispel was super useful, was never unhappy to draw it. Deck seemed to clown on a lot of the other decks, and all the losses were super close or due to utterly horrid mana.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

is there a list anywhere of all the new keywords and their effects??

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

No Safe Word posted:

More spoilers from Omens of the Past:

https://twitter.com/EternalCardGame/status/881945950230650880

Of note, a spell with Revenge!

Tock Tick is a clockroach, that's going to be interesting.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Shovelmint posted:

Deck seemed to clown on a lot of the other decks, and all the losses were super close or due to utterly horrid mana.
Yeah that's the sum of my experience in the event too. Cool that you made it into the top 100 with it! Fell to 16 myself but that's still miles better than I expected. I wonder what decks Illyak and Flash played? They've been hoggin the 1 and 2 spot since I played my games and must have a near perfect record to not move down over the last days.

Also, spoilers keep happening and I'm still liking lifeforce the most at the moment

That's a serious card. Not insane but just flat out good

This one is a lot less impressive but I'm keeping an eye on it cause it could flip if you can consistently combo it somehow for a 4/4

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Turn 3 Xenan Destroyer -> turn 4 Rapid Shot + Invocation is kind of the dream.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Speaking of dreams. I wish they had just made it 9 power, Summon: Deal 4 to each enemy. Having to sandbag a Torch or have an attack connect seems a big ask for control.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Speaking of dreams. I wish they had just made it 9 power, Summon: Deal 4 to each enemy. Having to sandbag a Torch or have an attack connect seems a big ask for control.

8 drop mythics with set up costs just won't be playable

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Counterpoint: Vara and Sword of the Sky King,

comedy channel the tempest option.

All of those are easier to cast and 100% of the time do something when they come into play. I need to see more ways to reliably turn on the spark, because Stormcaller ain't it, and attacking in your control deck is just whatever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I really don't like that card. Rimescale seems better by a lot and rimescale is not very good (I do love putting the surprise rimescale in feln though).

Aegis does often surprise, but yeah I'm not hopeful at all. It's even bad against the decks it should counter because xenan obelisk exists.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I don't even think 4 damage to your opponent's board and face is even enough to make this impactful. There are >10 commonly played creatures with toughness 5 or more than come out before this card.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Here's the other big-name legendaries, and the next event, same as the previous with play 2-color decks and get the cards temporarily added. I doubt the Xenan one will ever be ulted in an event setting, lol

http://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/omens-of-the-past-legendary-preview-event/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lol, looks like you're best off just playing the same deck from the previous event and praying you don't draw the Legendary.

Maybe a Primal based deck with Second Sight and other looters to ditch bad cards??

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Nighthand posted:

Here's the other big-name legendaries, and the next event, same as the previous with play 2-color decks and get the cards temporarily added. I doubt the Xenan one will ever be ulted in an event setting, lol

http://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/omens-of-the-past-legendary-preview-event/

Grinva could maybe be good if she doesn't immediately get melted. She would be absolutely amazing if the effect proccrd on her death

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to put Plated Demolisher in a deck with the Argenport legendary

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Tock Tick is a clockroach, that's going to be interesting.

Praxis Roaches makes me super excited.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I really don't understand what they're doing with those legendaries. Every one is incredibly underpowered compared to Icaria. It seems like they're trying to replicate the feeling of EDH or kitchen table MTG, where you get a single cool mythic and build your deck around it. That would work fine if the game encouraged that in some way, but the people trying to do that are just going to lose to Sandstorm Titan over and over again.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

lokipunk posted:

You mean Xenan? Or more of a Praxscar three faction deal (which kind of exists now but is weak)?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

muon posted:

I really don't understand what they're doing with those legendaries. Every one is incredibly underpowered compared to Icaria. It seems like they're trying to replicate the feeling of EDH or kitchen table MTG, where you get a single cool mythic and build your deck around it. That would work fine if the game encouraged that in some way, but the people trying to do that are just going to lose to Sandstorm Titan over and over again.

They're about as powerful as A New Tomorrow, though!

Possibly more powerful!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

lokipunk posted:

Nah, xenan roaches all the way