Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Nakar posted:

Give you a couple baseline frame unlocks and then all the unlocks are just gun parts instead of new guns.

If we can't mod the game then just let us show up to contracts with a MIRV Fatman already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Brofessor Slayton posted:

If we can't mod the game then just let us show up to contracts with a MIRV Fatman already.
Yeah one thing I was thinking was to give some super silly non-stealthy options like Incendiary Rounds or Explosive Fragmentary Rounds or a comically long slide. Maybe require certain unlocks to destroy certain objects so you can't use Subsonic Rounds (Krugermeier-style suppression) and also shoot cameras, until some crazy Season Two unlock comes out.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So I've been out of the loop for a bit, is there definitely going to be a season two?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In between missions 47 rests on his home, the Space Colony ARK.

Buccaneer posted:

Are you really upset that there aren't more black people you can kill in Hitman lol

You're really bad at this.

Nakar posted:

The printing press is pretty gruesome (if perhaps a bit unrealistically efficient at smushing Zaydan to pulp), but it also comes with a he-had-it-coming feel that a lot of opportunities do. Zaydan is using the printing press to create fake propaganda to justify his coup, so it's fitting that he dies to his own insistence that the press keep running. Giving a dude a horrifying mental illness drug trip is pretty hosed up. Convincing Silvio Caruso his ghost mom is back for revenge is similarly hosed up but it's mitigated by how much Caruso deserves it for killing her and being a petty shithead in general. I dunno, something about that Rose opportunity goes beyond the pale in a way deliberately overcharging his explosives so he kills himself with a rookie bombmaker's mistake doesn't.

A big part of it is the writing; the VAs and writers for Hitman did a fantastic job of setting up dialogue to make these deaths as ironic as possible.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 4, 2017

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Jay Rust posted:

So I've been out of the loop for a bit, is there definitely going to be a season two?
Here's all we know:
  • Square-Enix seemed to definitely greenlight a Season Two and IOI more or less confirmed they were working on it.
  • Square-Enix suddenly drops IOI, but they manage to buy out ownership of the studio and IP.
  • IOI recommits to content for Hitman and stuff but stops short of saying anything about Season Two.
Given that IOI is independent now, and retains the Hitman license and access to the technology, and supposedly had some amount of Season Two finished when S-E decided to divest, one has to think there will definitely be a Season Two as otherwise IOI has no good way to make money. However, they have said dick-all about Season Two otherwise, we know literally nothing about what will be in it or when it will come out.

So I'd say "there's definitely probably going to be a season two" and that's all anybody can really say right now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nakar posted:

Yeah one thing I was thinking was to give some super silly non-stealthy options like Incendiary Rounds or Explosive Fragmentary Rounds or a comically long slide. Maybe require certain unlocks to destroy certain objects so you can't use Subsonic Rounds (Krugermeier-style suppression) and also shoot cameras, until some crazy Season Two unlock comes out.
Beanbag/rubber ball shotguns, for all your less-than-lethal not-so-silent needs. Maybe a poison dart gun too. Or a taser.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Beanbag/rubber ball shotguns, for all your less-than-lethal not-so-silent needs. Maybe a poison dart gun too. Or a taser.
Yeah with a modular system a good idea for an unlock would be like a dart gun and then you can use the different poison types as additional unlocks for what poison the dart uses (Lethal/Emetic/Sedative). Hell, Sedative Poison would actually be useful if you could shoot somebody with it, and as long as the dart gun has lovely unreloadable ammo like the 5mm Custom it won't make the game MGS5.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Conversely, splitting it up means they can stretch one unlock into three :eng101:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

njsykora posted:

The KAI sabotage is one of the most unsettling things I've seen rendered in a videogame. Effectively steam burning Yamazaki alive in the sauna is pretty drat brutal as well.

Sauna death isn't anything new though. You can kill one of the Fuchs brothers that way and actually, it's easier than drowning him as shown in that cinematic.

In regards to what 47 does off-duty, we DO know he likes pet canaries though he is not adverse to breaking their poor tiny necks. He might also like the color pink based off of how much pink paint he had for that one safe house of his in Blood Money?

Lareine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Renoistic posted:

I haven't played much of '16 yet but 47 has never been a heroic badass. He kills the people he's contracted to kill. He doesn't even enjoy the killing, it's just what he does. He's basically a robot without feelings, and will kill completely innocent people if he's ordered to. Absolution tried (and failed at) giving him a redemptive arc, and even them the game starts with him murdering his old handler because he was contracted to.

And that's fine. He works the way he is.

No part of that means you aren't a badass :confused:

If anything looking away and not giving a poo poo about explosions and things is what MAKES you a badass :v:

shut up blegum posted:

Don't want to open a can of worms here, but what was exactly racist about blood money? I don't remember a thing about that game, except the mansion of the Mexican drug lord? I think?

The mark actually uses a racial slur when talking about one of the black characters in the level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

Is your agenda to be abrasive in Games today?

Buccaneer posted:

Oh I meant to say I agree about the racialized ludonarrative in the tutorial level of Hitman: Blood Money

:rolleyes: that's a yes.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Slight change of topic, has anybody ever seen 47 actually eat anything? I've only seen him drink, even in game when you blend in as a guest. He drinks there, he actually takes a sip. But eating? Don't recall in any of the games him ever taking a bite. In Absolution, he could hide as a cop by going over to a doughnut box and holding a doughnut in front of his face but he never actually ate it or made any attempt to.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I was really taken out of my professional murder simulation when I doubted my psychopath protagonist's commitment to racial equity.

Who I'm pretty sure just drinks soylent.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lareine posted:

Slight change of topic, has anybody ever seen 47 actually eat anything? I've only seen him drink, even in game when you blend in as a guest. He drinks there, he actually takes a sip. But eating? Don't recall in any of the games him ever taking a bite. In Absolution, he could hide as a cop by going over to a doughnut box and holding a doughnut in front of his face but he never actually ate it or made any attempt to.
47 is a breatharian. A little water and a little sun is all he needs.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I have never played Hitman 2 again since I got to the part in Japan where the enemies are yakuza thugs and ninjas

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lareine posted:

What with how many poisons there are and how easy it is for you to slip around poisoning people's foods, I wouldn't eat anything I didn't prepare from scratch myself either.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I want to play some Hitman 2016 season one

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tumble posted:

I love when you take out Soder's heart though. Diana is so pleased with your cleverness. "Elegant solution 47!"

I love that every other Soders kill has her going,"I'm not sure how to feel about this.... :smith:" but dump his heart in the trashcan and she's all :neckbeard:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Junkfist posted:

I was really taken out of my professional murder simulation when I doubted my psychopath protagonist's commitment to racial equity.

Who I'm pretty sure just drinks soylent.

Do you guys really not understand the complaint

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Jerusalem posted:

I love that every other Soders kill has her going,"I'm not sure how to feel about this.... :smith:" but dump his heart in the trashcan and she's all :neckbeard:

The first time I played that level I was just messing around and exploring, and I shot his heart on a whim. It was like Diana was speaking directly to me!

She probably would have liked it more if I didn't also kill everybody down there and also cremate a couple of unconscious people alive, but the sentiment was there.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

this thread fuckin sucks

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

this thread fuckin sucks

no it doesn't its a sweet thread for a sweet game don't be a dick. i need this ok?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Zaphod42 posted:

No part of that means you aren't a badass :confused:

If anything looking away and not giving a poo poo about explosions and things is what MAKES you a badass :v:

The mark actually uses a racial slur when talking about one of the black characters in the level.

So let me get this thread straight: Hitman has problems because
1. You don't kill 'enough black people' and
2. It's upsetting to kill a guy who hates black people.
I'll admit I don't read Games too often, but I wasn't aware there was an r/stormfront invasion. Suck my cock, racists...

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wasn't a huge interpretation of old Hitman, especially Blood Money that 47 basically sees everyone as their worst/47 really doesn't like people?

Like everyone is a sterotype basically? Women are just big breasted bimbos that exist for sex, French people say hon hon a bunch and like baguettes, the Japanese are all actually ninjas, politicians are all skeezy motherfuckers. Because 47 doesn't give a gently caress and has jason vision where all he cares about is the kill.

e: Here it is. http://www.pentadact.com/2006-09-23-blood-money-and-sex/

Yeah, basically just 47 really doesn't like people, and we see the world through his eyes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rookersh posted:

Wasn't a huge interpretation of old Hitman, especially Blood Money that 47 basically sees everyone as their worst/47 really doesn't like people?

Like everyone is a sterotype basically? Women are just big breasted bimbos that exist for sex, French people say hon hon a bunch and like baguettes, the Japanese are all actually ninjas, politicians are all skeezy motherfuckers. Because 47 doesn't give a gently caress and has jason vision where all he cares about is the kill.

e: Here it is. http://www.pentadact.com/2006-09-23-blood-money-and-sex/

Yeah, basically just 47 really doesn't like people, and we see the world through his eyes.

This is genuinely interesting! It fits in with his interactions in new Hitman, too - literally his only ways to interact with the world are violent or disruptive. Blend in so you can sneak past guards. Turn on sinks. Shank someone. It all lends itself to this...fascinating horrifying picture of a broken man who can't quit killing.

And it doesn't necessarily makes me more comfortable with the depictions of racism in the earlier games, but it's a neat way to think about it. Thanks!

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Thats one of the dumbest things ive ever seen, almost as bad as the guy above mes posts

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

Thats one of the dumbest things ive ever seen, almost as bad as the guy above mes posts

What did I do to make you so angry?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I can't speak for the ice rear end guy but to me you seem pretty determined to not enjoy the Hitman games for somebody who makes long posts in a thread about it

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
It could be that the ways to interact in the world are violent and disruptive because this is a videogame series about assassinating bad people like gangbangers but sure it could be a dream.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

sucked at life nerd

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You guys are really determined to be rude, I see. :sigh:

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you haven't already bought Hitman 2016 then I recommend buying the chapters individually since the full game includes the level with Japanese men in rice hats raking a rock garden

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Ubisoft will buy IO and Hitman will wake up in the Animus where he'll be judged on his Unconscious Bias.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Certain white people mysteriously get super angry and uncomfortable if they are confronted with the viewpoint of someone who doesn't get satisfaction from white hegemony

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
lol chilis just being a dick for being a dicks sake it ain't no thing

but 47 doesn't see the world in any particularly hosed up way, you just can't make a game where the goal is to kill people if you're killing people that don't deserve canonically deserve it. that's why you're always killing people who are already involved in shady poo poo and not the people involved in stopping them. you're almost always going to be killing the mob boss, not the judge sentencing the mob boss to a prison term like a real hitman would be.

i think Blood Money had a lot more "edge" in that regard, in that you were definitely doing more blatantly for-profit hits, rather than the kind of Secret Agent-esque hits you're doing in 2016.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 5, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
People can dislike super obvious, gross ambient racism in things. I didn't know this was some kind of new and fascinating revelation.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It costs millions or possibly billions to get 47 to kill someone for you so I imagine the kinds of people whom very rich people want killed have done something to warrant that kind of outlay. You don't hire the world's best assassin who never fails (except in Absolution) unless there is someone you want super dead.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

which one is crueller, messing with rose and then drowning him, or poisoning jordan's cake and making him think his dad did it

Nakar posted:

It costs millions or possibly billions to get 47 to kill someone for you so I imagine the kinds of people whom very rich people want killed have done something to warrant that kind of outlay. You don't hire the world's best assassin who never fails (except in Absolution) unless there is someone you want super dead.

i think one of the games tells you what his standard fee is, though trying to remember that over an entire series i can't say for sure

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 5, 2017

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Well this is a momentous occasion.

It shouldn't have worked and I have no idea how I managed to be even <1 second faster, but fkgfw is a loving beast and this is the first time I haven't been brutally schooled by him on the order of 15+ seconds.

In fact, the run I recorded was in fact about 15 seconds slower than his. If you can figure out from this how I was able to cut 17 seconds I'll be impressed because the answer is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tumble posted:

but 47 doesn't see the world in any particularly hosed up way, you just can't make a game where the goal is to kill people if you're killing people that don't deserve canonically deserve it. that's why you're always killing people who are already involved in shady poo poo and not the people involved in stopping them.
Except in Colorado, though the intro does make it clear that there's something fishy about the whole thing. Diana and 47 just take social stealth to another level by carrying out a bunch of hits to get the information they're after.