Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

please be nice to the lurkers :(

spare the burns, spoil the lurkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

blood for the blood god

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I'm 35, red colorblind and have the stereotypical goon physique along with a masters degree in computer science. What branches should I enlist in if I'm dissatisfied with all the stupid bullshit in my current job?

Despite working with colored wires that must be precisely arranged, the Air Force allows (allowed?) colorblind people to enlist for IT jobs. On my first deployment, we had a colorblind sergeant earnestly try to win a bet by wiring up 100 cat 5 connections in a single work order.

Followed immediately by a non-colorblind guy redoing most of his RJ-45 terminations so they would actually work.

Don't enlist with a degree.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

look into navy CTN

It says something that the certificates on https://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlisted/ctn.htm aren't properly configured.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Arc Light posted:

Despite working with colored wires that must be precisely arranged, the Air Force allows (allowed?) colorblind people to enlist for IT jobs. On my first deployment, we had a colorblind sergeant earnestly try to win a bet by wiring up 100 cat 5 connections in a single work order.

Followed immediately by a non-colorblind guy redoing most of his RJ-45 terminations so they would actually work.

Don't enlist with a degree.

Tried that for a class once. Instructor just stopped me because it was a waste of supplies.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You'll be a waste of supplies if you enlist with a degree

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1337JiveTurkey posted:

It says something that the certificates on https://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlisted/ctn.htm aren't properly configured.

government websites will always do that because they roll their own crypto and you have to install their root certs.

TBeats posted:

You'll be a waste of supplies if you enlist with a degree

Navy CTN actually looks for people like him and they already allow them to come in at higher than normal paygrades (there was rumblings of people enlisting as E7s at one point) because it is such an in need job and civilian pay far outpaces junior enlisted pay.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

but seriously, duder, look up ctn. There is at least one CTN goon that I know of and probably more out there. You avoid almost all navy bullshit and you get to live the neckbeard dream (although clean shaven) of being in windowless rooms surrounded by computers all day.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
It might even be worth just looking on USAjobs.com for a civilian contractor job tbh, then at least you wont have to deal with as much poo poo and you can still escape the private side of things

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

It might even be worth just looking on USAjobs.com for a civilian contractor job tbh, then at least you wont have to deal with as much poo poo and you can still escape the private side of things

This, too.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

too old for geneseed implantation

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

but seriously, duder, look up ctn. There is at least one CTN goon that I know of and probably more out there. You avoid almost all navy bullshit and you get to live the neckbeard dream (although clean shaven) of being in windowless rooms surrounded by computers all day.

Semi-seriously considering it, including the whole enlisting because otherwise it'd just be a garden variety bad career decision.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

USAjobs is gov't, not contractor. Good luck getting a contract position that pays without being a vet/having a clearance already.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

USAjobs is gov't, not contractor. Good luck getting a contract position that pays without being a vet/having a clearance already.

sorry for the accidental word choice thank you for the correction ;) we were just talking about this too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got you fam

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

In all seriousness, go guard or reserves comm for the TS clearance and commercial certs, then leverage that for a walk-in contracting or GS job.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You colorblind fucks know they make corrective glasses for that poo poo now, right?

There was a to-do about it on one of the CBS saturday morning shows, probably the Mo Rocca one.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Hey if you want job security and you're colorblind & pot bellied, you should become a cop. They don't even mind if you're easily frightened.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

You colorblind fucks know they make corrective glasses for that poo poo now, right?

There was a to-do about it on one of the CBS saturday morning shows, probably the Mo Rocca one.

Got a pair already. They don't do jack for me and don't solve the fundamental problem that I have a hard time seeing red warning lights and stuff like that because I'm missing most of the receptors for that color.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Zeris posted:

Hey if you want job security and you're colorblind & pot bellied, you should become a cop. They don't even mind if you're easily frightened.

:golfclap:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Zeris posted:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Semi-seriously considering it, including the whole enlisting because otherwise it'd just be a garden variety bad career decision.

Want to do all the cool stuff a Navy CTN does and only have 10% of the awful military overhead?

Take your comp sci masters and do spooky three letter agency civilian! All the CTNs wind up there anyway in the end.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
One time pen tester, now I help my terrible foreign owned bank understand that you don't gently caress with OFAC.

Oh and I teach a "cybersecurity" college class near Offutt. I screen Swordfish at least once a semester.

Can I wear a flight suit too?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I'm a long time lurker...

...who started my medical retirement process yesterday (after 11 years in the Service and SA lurking since long before it was cool).

I even have a clean rap sheet.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

thetechnoloser posted:

I'm a long time lurker...

...who started my medical retirement process yesterday (after 11 years in the Service and SA lurking since long before it was cool).

I even have a clean rap sheet.

MODS?!?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
One of my neighbors can barely walk / move his knees after 20 years in the USAF. Yet he claims that he's on 30 or 40% disability and was hoping to get it upped after an evaluation of some kind.

1) is that 40% of his pay at separation?
2) does it come out of his retirement pay if he's collecting it?
3) is your disability determined by the VA or the DOD?
4) do sadbrains qualify for disability or just brokebody?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nystral posted:

One of my neighbors can barely walk / move his knees after 20 years in the USAF. Yet he claims that he's on 30 or 40% disability and was hoping to get it upped after an evaluation of some kind.

1) No. The 40% is the VA disability rating that determines VA eligibility and compensation.
2) No. Retirement pay will be reduced by the amount the VA pays, though, because the VA pay is tax free whereas retirement pay is income.
3) VA determines disability ratines.
4) Anything wrong with you can be rated by the VA if it's service connected. After 20 years, everything wrong with your friend is presumed service connected. Whenever he is out, he needs to set up an appointment with a VSO like the american legion or any of the ones out there. He'll file a claim for each thing wrong with him, get evaluated, and get rated.

A VSO will be able to explain the entire process to your neighbor and get him taken care of.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nystral posted:

DAV, VFW and American Legion act as representatives. Tell him to call or visit one of their offices. If he's near a VA hospital, DAV will have a rep inside. He'll need to talk to them about scheduling a C&P review (compensation and pension). The DAV will set up the appointment and he'll get a letter in the mail in 1-6 months telling him where to be and when.

Rule of thumb seems to be 30% max per limb. If he gets rated on both at 30%, he'll be set at 50% rating. 30% for the first claim, 30% of the remaining difference to 100% for the second, so 30% of 70% being 21%, they'll round down to 20%, which is then added to the initial 30% for 50% total.

Mental health is most certainly covered. If it's not necessarily PTSD that's riding his rear end, then likely he'll catch a rating for depression and/or anxiety.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Don't enlist are you fuckers seriously this retarded.

I enlisted at 22 and I was still way too old for it. Enlisting will destroy your career completely. It's a horrible existence only suited for the bottom 10% of people who are borderline mentally retarded.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
The ONLY THING that I got from the Army other than destroyed hearing and knees that click all the time and slave wages is a desire to stay out of the military and away from anything even sort of related so powerful it would motivate me to kill someone if necessary. It's been a powerful motivator in life. But I can only thank my stars I don't have debilitating sadbrains and all my limbs intact, because otherwise it would just be a deep hatred building inside me until the day it killed me

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

milk milk lemonade posted:

I enlisted at 22 and I was still way too old for it. Enlisting will destroy your career completely. It's a horrible existence only suited for the bottom 10% of people who are borderline mentally retarded.

remember when you were a kid and your parents told you not to do something, and that made you want to do it even more?

we've discussed it, but i think we need to take that type of attitude into account when people talk about enlisting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The well story has been posted in GIP many times.

straller
Dec 17, 2013
Wheres lurkingsingles.com

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

straller posted:

Wheres lurkingsingles.com

Random story but I was brainstorming get rich quick schemes when I was in my last few months in the army and thought "what about a dating site where people with aids can hook up with people who already have aids because it's not like you can get it twice right?"

That's when I found out there's already a dating site for every loving niche out there.

Thanks that's my story.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

milk milk lemonade posted:

a friend of mine enlisted in the marines in ~2006 and apparently was smart enough on the asvab or whatever to choose what he wanted to do. he chose infantry, went to iraq, now he's hosed in the head.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Ragtime All The Time posted:

a friend of mine enlisted in the marines in ~2006 and apparently was smart enough on the asvab or whatever to choose what he wanted to do. he chose infantry, went to iraq, now he's hosed in the head.

Sounds familiar

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i could have got any job i wanted based on ASVAB scores but i chose infantry because i'm a smart dumb person and now i'm hosed in the head

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i could have got any job i wanted based on ASVAB scores but i chose infantry because i'm a smart dumb person and now i'm hosed in the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i could have got any job i wanted based on ASVAB scores but i chose infantry because i'm a smart dumb person and now i have no job skills while I go to college

• Locked thread