Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wonder what happened to all those kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I guess maybe I'm in the minority for never having liked Kids in America

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They're on some loving island and you have to fight the mech or something. Who cares.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

not really necessary since they give you Kids in America

i gave it the katamari damacy theme and then brought it in for close air support

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

Also the DOS era Fellowship of the Ring RPG was real good

aside from having pretty bad UI/controls even for a DOS game, yeah it actually was very good

and there were two of them actually, the Two Towers one is slightly the better of the two

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

aside from having pretty bad UI/controls even for a DOS game, yeah it actually was very good

and there were two of them actually, the Two Towers one is slightly the better of the two

I disagree, Fellowship is more open and they take advantage of that to add in cool stuff for if you do go back and revisit Bree or whatever

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Went to see La La Land in an outdoor cinema. Here's my hot take: Inside Llewyn Davis is a more honest and frank examination of Ryan Gosling's character type.

Of course it was still wonderful and fun, I would recommend watching La La Land

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That English is a living language is precisely why prescriptivism is important. If it were a dead language, it would be too late to fix anything! :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wife, kid, mortgage, car, the slow death of being part of the system

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That bandwidth/data cap misunderstanding was the biggest rollercoaster ride of a conversation I've witnessed in a while.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh wow, the Telltale GoT game is another one of the monthly PSN games so I'll get to check out how bad it is.

Also Watch_Dogs 2 loving owns, this might be the best GTA-like game in years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

Oh wow, the Telltale GoT game is another one of the monthly PSN games so I'll get to check out how bad it is.

Yea the irony of putting that up right next to Until Dawn is pretty funny. GoT is the worst of theirs I've played.

quote:

Also Watch_Dogs 2 loving owns, this might be the best GTA-like game in years.

I'd say it's better than GTAV in both single and multi player.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/msmp__/status/882665875660210176

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Twin Snakes was dope.

Took me a little over 8 hours. I discovered while fist fighting Liquid that rolling is in the game...

I had a lot of trouble with the GameCube controller. I have quite large hands, and not very much experience with the controller. I felt like I had to contort my hand quite a bit to hold the Z button.

So next I'll go back and finish Peace Walker, which is almost done, and then I'll be on to MGS2, which was the first MGS I ever played.

Edit: okay, apparently it took me 11 hours and 43 continues. 42 alerts. So I basically died every time there was an alert, but actually more, since I died several times to a few bosses.

74 people killed, and 73 rations used.

I was not very good at this game. It's pretty solid, though. I think the first person view was great outside of some of the boss battles where it was totally broken.

Snak fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 7, 2017

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Kirby Odyssey

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This weekend I will only be playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I cannot stop gushing about and thinking about this game! I am utterly captivated and hope that I will start to soon get answers to all my questions. I'm trying to think what was the last narrative driven game that I just had to keep playing every time I wanted to game and I cannot think of it. It was possibly Portal 2.

I've also been taking so many in game photographs. I think that is one of the best new systems added to games recently.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

This weekend I will only be playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I cannot stop gushing about and thinking about this game! I am utterly captivated and hope that I will start to soon get answers to all my questions. I'm trying to think what was the last narrative driven game that I just had to keep playing every time I wanted to game and I cannot think of it. It was possibly Portal 2.

I've also been taking so many in game photographs. I think that is one of the best new systems added to games recently.
Yeah, it's one of the greatest games. Let me know what you think about Ted Farro when you finish.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello everybody, it's 5 AM where I live and I can't stop playing Deadly Rooms Of Death. I finished Gunthro and the Epic Blunder including all of the secret stuff and am now on to King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0. I keep saying "ok after this room I'm gonna quit" and then I enter the next room and am all "eh ok just one more"

Also, I ordered a hardcover copy of Master and Commander the other day and it is coming sometime today so yay, a book :) I'm excited to read it.

Other than that, not much is happening. I'm thinking about trying to look into programming because I'm thinking of trying to make KCB a small video game as a gift but the problem is that I don't exactly know what I'm doing, even with tutorials, so I'll probably just end up writing up a design doc, maybe opening up and messing with game maker for a bit, and then not actually accomplish anything lol :rip:

Enough about me tho. How is everybody doing today?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everybody, it's 5 AM where I live and I can't stop playing Deadly Rooms Of Death. I finished Gunthro and the Epic Blunder including all of the secret stuff and am now on to King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0. I keep saying "ok after this room I'm gonna quit" and then I enter the next room and am all "eh ok just one more"

Also, I ordered a hardcover copy of Master and Commander the other day and it is coming sometime today so yay, a book :) I'm excited to read it.

Other than that, not much is happening. I'm thinking about trying to look into programming because I'm thinking of trying to make KCB a small video game as a gift but the problem is that I don't exactly know what I'm doing, even with tutorials, so I'll probably just end up writing up a design doc, maybe opening up and messing with game maker for a bit, and then not actually accomplish anything lol :rip:

Enough about me tho. How is everybody doing today?

.... AHA That's why it says you're still in DROD even though you told me you finished the game, I was beginning to wonder. :v:

On my end my depression is preventing me from making a bagel so instead I'm watching dumb anime. I'll probably play more Geneforge 3 in a bit - since POOL IS CLOSED is doing an LP of 2 I decided to skip ahead, and I've now got a pet fire-breathing raptor named Duo. :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You have my condolences regarding the depression. It's lovely and I hope you've got coping mechanisms and medication in place to help you with through it.

I still haven't played past the first geneforge game, and I've been meaning to go back to geneforge 1 anyway since I didn't explore everywhere and there were a few places I couldn't go to that I'm curious about.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

You have my condolences regarding the depression. It's lovely and I hope you've got coping mechanisms and medication in place to help you with through it.

I still haven't played past the first geneforge game, and I've been meaning to go back to geneforge 1 anyway since I didn't explore everywhere and there were a few places I couldn't go to that I'm curious about.

I do - I've got a therapist and medication and so on in place for the depression so it's not soul-crushing - just annoying. I'm gonna make a bagel sooner or later but the depression won't let me do it now, so.

Here's the fantastic LP of Geneforge 1 that just finished! I'm really happy with how the thread voted, as we got the best ending. (imo)

The games themselves are a weird combo of fun to read and interesting to play but if you do too much at once they turn into a slog, what with the old-school design, so spreading them out is working better for me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

as we got the best ending. (imo)

Oh, the thread sided with and remained loyal to Trajkov? :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh, the thread sided with and remained loyal to Trajkov? :v:

If I answer that it'll be a spoiler!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I answer that it'll be a spoiler!

Then post what they did in spoilers :P

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've probably spent about 5 or 6 hours just in Horizons photo mode.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StrixNebulosa posted:

.... AHA That's why it says you're still in DROD even though you told me you finished the game, I was beginning to wonder. :v:

On my end my depression is preventing me from making a bagel so instead I'm watching dumb anime. I'll probably play more Geneforge 3 in a bit - since POOL IS CLOSED is doing an LP of 2 I decided to skip ahead, and I've now got a pet fire-breathing raptor named Duo. :D
I've been a bit depressed and anxious thanks to the poo poo Trump's been saying in Poland that is like straight up nazi poo poo, openly, but otherwise I've been doing good

Minecraft's been a great de-stresser nowadays. I found an NPC village near my home base in minecraft so I erected a monster-proof barrier around it, like city walls, and replaced the walkways with glowstone and redstone blocks so they have permanently lit streets, and replaced the house cobblestone with obsidian in case a Creeper gets in. I've decided to stick with a single save file instead of moving on to a new world save when I get bored of the one, and it's led to interconnected networks of roads to different bases with supplies. Makes things interesting.

oh and thanks to R. Guyovich I've had this song stuck in my head for the past two days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0wfu3tOrtQ

the backstory is hilariously darker than I thought it would be when I went to look it up.

quote:

Fastball front man Tony Scalzo came up with the idea for the song after reading journalistic articles which described the disappearance of an elderly married couple, Lela and Raymond Howard from Salado, Texas, who left home in June 1997 to attend the Pioneer Day festival at nearby Temple, Texas, despite Lela's Alzheimers and Raymond recently recovering from brain surgery. They were discovered two weeks later, dead, at the bottom of a ravine near Hot Springs, Arkansas, hundreds of miles off their intended route.[3][4]

About the song, Scalzo said that "It's a romanticized take on what happened" - he "pictured them taking off to have fun, like they did when they first met."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been a bit depressed and anxious thanks to the poo poo Trump's been saying in Poland that is like straight up nazi poo poo, openly, but otherwise I've been doing good

I admit I've been actively avoiding the news lately because I can't handle how stressful it is. I don't want us to go to war / destroy the planet / kill millions of people but the idiots in charge apparently want to, so. :ohdear:

Thank god for video games, the best escape.

Someday I'll crack and get Minecraft. You hear so many amazing things about it, but.... it's not on steam and I haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I bought minecraft back at the end 2009. I have a save from 2009 that is the one I play on. It's called World4 (because it was the fourth world I started) and it has lasted across moving between continents, PCs and operating systems. I spend the entirety of my time linking the underground tunnels I find to my pre-existing network of underground tunnels.

I make things look pretty and the underground areas look nice. I make every floor glass with lava running underneath so that I don't have to put candles everywhere.

It's kind of mad really, but heck, that's why I don't play on anything other than PC, because World4 doesn't exist anywhere else and I don't really like the idea of starting again.

It's a great relaxation time :D

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've been making a survival mode level in Serious Sam's Bogus Detour as an exercise in learning how to implement scripting logic in my own gamemaking endeavors. It's a pretty robust editor!

I usually leave the connection arrows off so I can actually see what I'm doing but it's been fun to sometimes turn them back on and watch the absolute chaos.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Invictus, what has trump been saying in Poland?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

VideoGames posted:

:hfive:

Horizon Zero Dawn is so good that I've forbid myself from playing any of the games I bought for the Steam Sale until I beat it without skipping any activities or side quests (I may miss some side quests accidentally though since I'm not using a walkthrough or anything). It will likely be my game of the year. The game is absolutely gorgeous, the story and characters are interesting, and the gameplay loop is really fun and varied. This game and Bloodborne are reasons enough to own a PS4.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Chrono Cross has only ever been released on the original PSX and only on disc, right? There's never been a digital version available?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a digital version on US PSN that can be played on PS3 or Vita.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VideoGames posted:

I bought minecraft back at the end 2009. I have a save from 2009 that is the one I play on. It's called World4 (because it was the fourth world I started) and it has lasted across moving between continents, PCs and operating systems. I spend the entirety of my time linking the underground tunnels I find to my pre-existing network of underground tunnels.

I make things look pretty and the underground areas look nice. I make every floor glass with lava running underneath so that I don't have to put candles everywhere.

It's kind of mad really, but heck, that's why I don't play on anything other than PC, because World4 doesn't exist anywhere else and I don't really like the idea of starting again.

It's a great relaxation time :D
Nice. I use a modpack called Life In The Woods that just vastly expands the base survival gameplay and adds immensely improved graphics shaders and dynamic lighting. Goes a long way in making Minecraft look "good".

You should try playing it in a more recent build of Minecraft. They've added a shitload to it since 2009.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I admit I've been actively avoiding the news lately because I can't handle how stressful it is. I don't want us to go to war / destroy the planet / kill millions of people but the idiots in charge apparently want to, so. :ohdear:

Someday I'll crack and get Minecraft. You hear so many amazing things about it, but.... it's not on steam and I haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.
Feel secure in the fact that, unlike Hitler at the time, Trump is an insanely unpopular person the world over, including the US. He's got a core of followers, but the vast majority despise him. He might try something, but I have faith he will be stopped.

You should grab Minecraft, yeah. The launcher is perfectly fine, and the Microsoft version of the game(which sadly is impossible to mod, from what I hear) runs super amazingly smoothly since they've improved it over the Java version. The Java version has access to all the mods, of which there are countless amazing ones, and these days can be very easy to install. Life in the Woods for example has its own launcher that installs everything and directs you towards things you need to download, helps set up shaders, etc, it's great.

the village, villagers will die if left unprotected from zombies and such

my home base, fruit tree grove, and farms, all built on the jungle treetops. It of course started raining right as I went to take a screenshot from below. I challenged myself to collect all the redstone needed to make the blocks to build a road to the village. Built/collected everything else, as well.

FirstAidKite posted:

Invictus, what has trump been saying in Poland?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/883012994145280000

and fox news is very close to going full nazi. you never go full nazi.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/883155491404251136

If you're interested in keeping up on current events(which, no matter how scary it may be, I recommend since we are entering perhaps the most decisive times for the US, and not all of the news is bad), the D&D Trump Thread or What The gently caress Just Happened Today are useful. If reading the Trump Thread, here's a list of trolls, gimmicks, nothing-mattersers and bickerers to ignore to make the thread even remotely readable.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 7, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the village, villagers will die if left unprotected from zombies and such

my home base, fruit tree grove, and farms, all built on the jungle treetops. It of course started raining right as I went to take a screenshot from below. I challenged myself to collect all the redstone needed to make the blocks to build a road to the village. Built/collected everything else, as well.

Holy flipflops this looks amazing? It looks so colorful and vibrant - !

Note to self: reserve fun budget for Minecraft sooner rather than later.

(also thanks for the political resources - they're useful even if I don't have the stomach to actually go look at 'em)

e: Also because I know you guys are absolutely dying to know, I watched three eps of goofy anime, made two bagels, and feel a lot better!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How did The Surge turn out? I heard rumblings that it wasn't as bad as Lords of the Fallen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
whoops, wrong aerial shot of the village, the world hadn't fully loaded in yet :v:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Holy flipflops this looks amazing? It looks so colorful and vibrant - !

Note to self: reserve fun budget for Minecraft sooner rather than later.

(also thanks for the political resources - they're useful even if I don't have the stomach to actually go look at 'em)

e: Also because I know you guys are absolutely dying to know, I watched three eps of goofy anime, made two bagels, and feel a lot better!
That's at midday with shaders, realistic water, and dynamic lighting on. Light will penetrate through individual leaf block holes, too.

example:

Some more shots from around the game I took, Life in the Woods adds like 1200 new plants and foodstuffs too. Makes me hungry sometimes.

I glitched into a ceiling block and it made every non-air block invisible, and every air block visible, making cave systems look like big worms occasionally lit by torches or lava.

a jungle valley surrounded by volcanoes

as I was approaching the volcanic island with the jungle valley, I got this great night shot

Sakurazuka posted:

How did The Surge turn out? I heard rumblings that it wasn't as bad as Lords of the Fallen.
I have heard good things, actually. Only gripe I've heard is that it lacks enemy diversity.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 7, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's fantastic. It's very much a worthy addition to the It's Like Dark Souls But genre, pretty much all the complaints of Lords of the Fallen (enemies have far too much health, combat has little fluidity and rewards turtling and repetition, restrictive progression, uncreative weapons) have been totally fixed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

While we talk about games like that - I remember people talking about Nioh at release but then it stopped being mentioned. Did the game end up being good overall or did something happen there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool thanks

• Locked thread