Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Too Shy Guy posted:

It would be cool if someone who has it can explain it because the store page looks neat but I'm totally not getting how it plays.
The thread's OP explained it really well:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Too Shy Guy posted:

It would be cool if someone who has it can explain it because the store page looks neat but I'm totally not getting how it plays.

You travel the world completing quests and fighting enemies to get stronger, eventually to fight the King. The King is slowly dying every turn, so every turn that passes it gets easier to kill the King. The person to kill the King first wins. It's a turn based digital boardgame.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I did a 3 month sub so I ended up with Pillars even though I own it, and I also have an extra copy of Sherlock Holmes. First person to quote me can have one or both.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Huh, I thought it was more SRPGish, guess I was wrong.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I did a 3 month sub so I ended up with Pillars even though I own it, and I also have an extra copy of Sherlock Holmes. First person to quote me can have one or both.

Can I try Pillars?

e: https://steamcommunity.com/id/CreepyJackalopeEye

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 7, 2017

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Sherlock Holmes?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/noworriesbro

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's very pretty but bad boardgame. There is almost 0 interaction between characters because everyone is trying for different things on different parts of the map, and the result of your actions are mostly random. It's not Talisman random but it's pretty bed.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

DrNutt posted:

Could I have Sherlock ?

SteamID = http://steamcommunity.com/id/pennfalath

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You travel the world completing quests and fighting enemies to get stronger, eventually to fight the King. The King is slowly dying every turn, so every turn that passes it gets easier to kill the King. The person to kill the King first wins. It's a turn based digital boardgame.

Thanks! That's definitely neat, didn't realize it was all the way board-gamey.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I bought Armello when it first came out and haven't played it since, it's not an SRPG and I don't think it's based on a real board game (I could be wrong on that) but it's structured like one.

It plays sort of like a 4x but instead of controlling a civilization and building cities, you control a single unit and go on quests. It's card-based and you play cards as spells or special abilities, or as traps for other players if they step on the tile. If you die, you respawn a few turns later and become more corrupted - details are fuzzy because it's been so long but I think corruption means you're more combat focused and you can try to win the game that way, or something.

It sounded really cool but nothing about it grabbed me, it was confusing and I couldn't tell what I was doing or accomplishing half the time. There were long-term goals like killing the king to win, or something, but the tutorial did a poor job of explaining how I was supposed to get to them. I couldn't make sense of what the AI was doing but every time we would fight they would seem significantly more advanced than me and it would be hopeless. Combat is dice-based and they would always be rolling like 4 times as many dice as I was. I play lots of video games and board games and I'm used to complicated and confusing board game rules but I bounced so hard off of that game that I didn't even know what it was after 5 hours of playtime.

Balance was really bad when I played, like there was one hero that focused on combat and if you picked them you would virtually automatically win any combat encounter with an enemy player, so whatever player or AI picked them could just run around killing other players off and denying their ability to play. One hero focused on traps which are useless because it's a wide-open hex-based grid and the likelihood of people stepping where you placed traps is super low.

I think they started pumping out DLC when it was still in EA which is when I stopped paying attention to the updates, but maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sent you both gift links via PMs. I have my steam account linked to HumbleBundle so I couldn't just get a steam key to send you.

e: Sorry Pennfalath!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

IIRC they broke dunking gifts directly into your library ages ago and asking for it to be redeemed just gives you a key that works fine for anyone?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Sent you both gift links via PMs. I have my steam account linked to HumbleBundle so I couldn't just get a steam key to send you.

Thank you :)

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Got it, thanks much!

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You can hide it. You can remove it from your library. If it's that bad a purchase, you can refund it within 14 days. You have the choice. It's not like you have to keep it visible, you can put it away. It's not the same as companies keeping personal information in any way, shape or form.

You still don't get it I see. Thanks for clarifying you're an idiot so I can ignore you.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Biggest surprise of the summer sale - for me - was Age Of Rivals. Picked it up on a whim and have been playing the hell out of it since. Takes a couple of games to fully get to grip with the mechanics, but it's really nicely designed. (You can get it for phones as well, but it's much nicer and less claustrophobic on a proper monitor.) Each game only takes a few minutes, new cards are continually unlocking, the AI's good enough to offer a challenge, and no microtransactions - solid game imo. Well worth a look.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

DrNutt posted:

No problem!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Downs Duck posted:

You still don't get it I see. Thanks for clarifying you're an idiot so I can ignore you.

Of course I don't get it, it's bloody bonkers.

Fat Samurai posted:

It's very pretty but bad boardgame. There is almost 0 interaction between characters because everyone is trying for different things on different parts of the map, and the result of your actions are mostly random. It's not Talisman random but it's pretty bed.

It'd be really really bad if it was as slow as a normal boardgame, but zero interaction is fine for singleplayer and for faster multiplayer games, though I would agree that the randomness is less excusable.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ask for games:

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
SimplePlanes
Galactic Civilizations® III
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
Kero Blaster

Got the next month's bundle as well
NBA 2K17
Pillars of Eternity

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 7, 2017

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BTW, Armello's multiplayer sucks because the only way to communicate with other players is with premade messages so you could be playing singleplayer for all it difference it makes.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SinineSiil posted:

Ask for games:

SimplePlanes
Kero Blaster

Sherlock Holmes woul be rad
http://steamcommunity.com/id/syscal/

a little sad I didn't sub this month :smith:

e; a gentleman and a scholar, thanks again

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 7, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

gmq posted:

BTW, Armello's multiplayer sucks because the only way to communicate with other players is with premade messages so you could be playing singleplayer for all it difference it makes.

AI is really insistent on attacking other players so they die all the time. It's nothing like multiplayer where players are way more careful and use actual strategies.
I've been playing it with a friend and it has been lot of fun even though we aren't that good.

Come online so I can give it to you.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SinineSiil posted:

Ask for games:

SimplePlanes
Kero Blaster

I got Kero Blaster wishlisted so I'd gladly take it if you don't mind

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryomancer/

edit: Thanks!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

AI is really insistent on attacking other players so they die all the time. It's nothing like multiplayer where players are way more careful and use actual strategies.
I've been playing it with a friend and it has been lot of fun even though we aren't that good.

I'm just annoyed at the lack of goading and annoying other players since that's 90% of the fun of a board game. If you're playing with friends and have another way to communicate (Discord, for example) game's fine.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

gmq posted:

I'm just annoyed at the lack of goading and annoying other players since that's 90% of the fun of a board game. If you're playing with friends and have another way to communicate (Discord, for example) game's fine.
Using spells and traps on other players can be very annoying, especially if they force them to change their playstyle.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

Using spells and traps on other players can be very annoying, especially if they force them to change their playstyle.

But I can't hear their tears!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

gmq posted:

But I can't hear their tears!
Fair enough!

SinineSiil posted:

Ask for games:

SimplePlanes
Kero Blaster

I stubbornly got the next month's bundle as well so I now also have Pillars of Eternity and NBA 2K17 to give away

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fart of Presto posted:

So, back in 2016, SteamSpy mentioned that Samsung TVs would get Steam support.
Apparently the Steam Link app for Samsung 4K Smart TV (KU, KS, MU and Q models from 2016 and 2017) is available for the US audience and if you are outside of the US, change the region setting on your TV.
1080p and 60fps is currently supported with 4K coming later.
Global availability should come this autumn.
Only requirements outside of the TV, is a Steam Controller or a wired Xbox 360 pad, with more options later.

Anyone tried it out?

Alright, A bit late but I was running some tests.

So I got a Samsung TV recently and I had read about the Steam Link app, but it wasn't available in my region so I kinda dismissed it for the time being; however, after reading your post I tried changing the region and lo and behold, I got it running.

It works... surprisingly well. I don't have an ideal connection, I'm running it via a powerline adapter (and hooked to a power strip at that) and I was just playing Bayonetta and Dishonored 2 without any major issues other than a bit of an audio hiccup here and there. The app has 3 settings: "fast" "balanced" and "beautiful"; I was using balanced since it was the default.

It detects your host pc automatically and prompts you to enter a code in it when you select it (I just plugged a wired 360 controller to the usb port on the tv and it picked it up without batting an eyelash), after that it just runs.

Overall... yeah, I think this works! I was ready to dismiss it, but if you have a proper network cable running from your host PC to your set, you could probably bump the setting to 'beautiful' without major issues.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

looks at the most helpful review of SimplePlanes

858 hours played, short novella length review
rated negative

as someone who played this single-player simulation game for the equivalent of a month straight, let me tell why you it's not good and worth playing.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 7, 2017

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Overall... yeah, I think this works! I was ready to dismiss it, but if you have a proper network cable running from your host PC to your set, you could probably bump the setting to 'beautiful' without major issues.

Yesss. I was debating buying a new tv since the one I have has no working HDMI ports and playing without moving my PC would be awesome. I wonder what models are supported.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

SinineSiil posted:

Ask for games:

SimplePlanes
Kero Blaster

Well if you're just going to give DS2 away: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999392630/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bought the bundle for Dark Souls 2, but I'm pretty :effort: on everything else. First come, first serve.

SimplePlanes: 2W85*-36DZ2-8209V
GalCiv3: 2*ZF3-EPEZ4-MKK*8
Schlock Homies: 2V*0F-FIWQD-BWEXX
Kero Blaster: 2QH*G-YVQL6-7E93B

The missing character is the 10th letter of the alphabet.

Post if you take it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thanks for Sherlock!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Too Shy Guy posted:

I've always had a collector's mindset about Steam, and the only thing that tempered it was marrying someone who doesn't play games and letting her manage our finances. Now I have to explain everything I buy, which has gotten harder since it started to include "this game is actually garbage but I want to write about it for people on the internet".

Really I like just having lots and lots of games, but part of that is fully intending to give all of them a try and get something out of them no matter how bad they might be.

I am also married to a non-gamer, and while I currently have around 2000 games on steam, I've slowed down significantly. We decided we didn't want to be explaining all of our personal hobby purchases, but I now have a set amount of money for video game spending instead of just buying everything I want. It's helped a little bit, but the sad truth is that I can buy way more games than I can play.

I just like having games and having options.. Also I play a lot of things for 2 hours and then move on.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Mordja posted:

Bought the bundle for Dark Souls 2, but I'm pretty :effort: on everything else. First come, first serve.

SimplePlanes: 2W85*-36DZ2-8209V
GalCiv3: 2*ZF3-EPEZ4-MKK*8
Schlock Homies: 2V*0F-FIWQD-BWEXX
Kero Blaster: 2QH*G-YVQL6-7E93B

The missing character is the 10th letter of the alphabet.

Post if you take it.

Grabbed Kero Blaster, thanks!

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I actually like Kero Blaster more than Cave Story, but it plays like an old arcade game, as in you can't change which way you're shooting while jumping and there's a lives mechanic that's pretty pointless. It's a fun and simple arcade experience and I played through it three times. There's normal mode, the hard mode that unlocks after beating it that remixes levels a bit and then an extra mode that's basically a new game plus sort of deal.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SinineSiil posted:

Fair enough!

I stubbornly got the next month's bundle as well so I now also have Pillars of Eternity and NBA 2K17 to give away

Can i have Pillars?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

Fair enough!

Any chance I could get NBA2k17 if no one else has claimed it? http://steamcommunity.com/id/cavauro/

e: SinineSiil gave me the key but unfortunately it wouldn't activate in my region even though it didn't mention that. Thanks for the efforts!

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 7, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Monthly leftovers:

• Hyper Ligh* Drifter — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Nz*Ex6XFsBvR4sMh
• Ar*ello — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=GE8PY*WEq3F4wCBt

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batch
Jul 13, 2007