Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Colonel Whitey posted:

Why does this matter

it looks very dumb and is very obvious. even more so in the future when people watch em all back to back. needs to be a cool scar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
This article on people who actually need to avoid electrical fields is pretty cool

https://gizmodo.com/why-people-with-brain-implants-are-afraid-to-go-through-1796452196

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man it sucks having to wait for another season. tv sucks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Groovelord Neato posted:

man it sucks having to wait for another season. tv sucks.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV: TV Sucks.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it looks very dumb and is very obvious. even more so in the future when people watch em all back to back. needs to be a cool scar!

Alternate take: it doesn't matter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nothing matters. it still looks stupid.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

I'm trying to imagine what Breaking Bad would have been like with this show's pacing. Obviously Walt had fits and starts too, but he was already cooking meth and killing people in the first episode. Imagine if he was still puttering around at the car wash in the third season and wrestling with the morality of selling meth. Obviously I don't think that's really a fair comparison, but it amused me anyway. I do think the breakneck pace of the pilot has a lot to do with why Breaking Bad is so great though. The opening flash forward makes you think it's the end of the season or maybe even series, but nope, it gets there in one episode and lets you know immediately that the show's going to be something special.

The first two episodes of season one actually did a similar thing, though. Jimmy pretty much immediately gets swept up in the cartel underworld. The first episode ends with him being held hostage. The second has him using his lawyer skills to negotiate a person's life with a crazy criminal. It ends with Nacho giving Jimmy his number, saying to call him when he's ready to be "in the game."

The rest of season one dialed this back a bit, and season 2 did a total soft reset. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the show as is, but I would have loved the show that was presented to us in those first two episodes.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 4, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The first two episodes of season actually did a similar thing, though. Jimmy pretty much immediately gets swept up in the cartel underworld. The first episode ends with him being held hostage. The second has him using his lawyer skills to negotiate a person's life with a crazy criminal. It ends with Nacho giving Jimmy his number, saying to call him when he's ready to be "in the game."

The rest of season one dialed this back a bit, and season 2 did a total soft reset. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the show as is, but I would have loved the show that was presented to us in those first two episodes.

I actually forgot about some of that. It really makes the severity of the pullback between seasons 1 and 2 that much more inexplicable to me in retrospect. I've posted before about how slowing everything down, with the resulting effect that Mike and Jimmy wouldn't have much business together for quite some time, really doesn't seem to make sense for the show even in a structural sense. I really can't think of any reason for them to pull back so hard other than wanting to prolong the show, or that they really just fell in love with the idea about turning the show into a character study about Jimmy for some reason (which the second season didn't even do all that well imo).

I'm critical of the decision making here pretty often, so I do want to reiterate that I like the show, and think season 3 was much better than season 2. I just feel like it could have been an even better show if they hadn't gotten lost in the weeds for a while.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I really loving love Jimmy, and they made Chuck so very hateable before pulling the rug out from under us.

I also think every season of this show is better than season 2 of Breaking Bad, which was a pretty okay show overall, right guys? Just needed a minute to really find its feet.

What I'm saying is, I'm not worried at all, especially knowing the rubber has unofficially hit the road. The fire may have created a Chuck roast, but Jimmy's the one who will burn.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jimmy is going to have Kim killed by the series end.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I actually enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 slightly more than 3.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

I gotta say, season 3 was definitely better than 1 and 2 in my opinion. Stuff actually started to happen, and we start to see the trajectory that will lead Jimmy towards becoming Saul. We even saw Huel for the first time ;). So, I think that Chuck dying is going to have a horrible effect on Jimmy. I could totally see that being the catalyst that starts to tear him and Kim apart. Additionally, just about everything Jimmy did was part of his effort to please Chuck. Now that Chuck is gone, there is nothing holding him back from fully embracing his "Slippin' Jimmy" persona. I expect that season 4 will show the divide starting to widen between him and Kimmy, and I would imagine that the season will end with him becoming Saul, or close to it.

Separate from the forward movement of the plot this season, I did highly enjoy another few things this season. The courtroom episode was very well done, and the reveal of the battery at the end was very good, and not overdone. Jimmy was not *happy* about destroying Chuck at the end; he was upset that it was necessary. Additionally, I really liked how the writers portrayed Jimmy and Kim's relationship this season. At times, we were left wondering what their level of romantic involvement even was. It was just a small touch or word spoken that gave us hints.

All in all, this was definitely the best season yet. It had a few plot points that didn't make sense, but it was very good nonetheless.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I hope we get two, maybe three more seasons. I can't imagine how a lawyer might become crooked,I mean it's an absolutely mad thought to think. BB was so predictable, chemistry teacher gets cancer and cooks meth yaaaaawn show me how a lawyer could possibly be corrupted I simply have no idea

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

you're mad.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I don't get this "soft reset" everyone talks about between 1 and 2?

Is there a hidden s2e0 I haven't seen?

We're you guys anticipating him to keep driving and humming smoke on the water until he crashes through the wall of chucks house holding a bunch of wifi antennas?

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 4, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeXReX posted:

We're you guys anticipating him to keep driving and humming smoke on the water until he crashes through the wall of chucks house holding a bunch of wifi antennas?

The premise of that scene is that he's not letting doing the right thing get in the way of him getting money, and then he proceeds to spend the next two seasons largely doing that. IMO the Chuck fallout was a step further though- S1 Jimmy probably would've cracked and tried to help Chuck instead of sticking to his guns like S3 Jimmy did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

echronorian posted:

I hope we get two, maybe three more seasons. I can't imagine how a lawyer might become crooked,I mean it's an absolutely mad thought to think. BB was so predictable, chemistry teacher gets cancer and cooks meth yaaaaawn show me how a lawyer could possibly be corrupted I simply have no idea

The real mystery is how a retired crooked cop could possibly get involved with the criminal underworld.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The really cruel thing is that people with Chuck's condition can't watch the show

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SeXReX posted:

It's something Alan Sepinwall has discussed with the creators a number of times, so this isn't something we're making up. The end of the first season definitely teased that he'd be hanging his own shingle and getting involved in more criminal activity rather than joining up with another firm to show us again how he wasn't a good fit for being a straight and narrow type of lawyer. I do think there were some benefits to slowing down, in that Kim was allowed to become a real character (she was the MVP of season 2 for me), but structurally the show became kind of a mess by holding off on bridging the gap between Jimmy and Mike's worlds. Nacho wasn't supposed to sit around doing nothing until the plot had a use for him late in season 3, you know? It's easy to forget he's even met Jimmy at this point.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

I legitimately forget that Nacho ever met Jimmy. When did that happen?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

spiderbyte posted:

I legitimately forget that Nacho ever met Jimmy. When did that happen?

He meets Nacho when he watches the two skateboarding hustlers get their legs broken by Tuco. Nacho remembers Jimmy rambling about the Kettleman's money when he's pleading for the skateboarders lives and pays him a visit afterwards, asking if he's interested in working together.

Then Nacho is suspected of kidnapping the Kettlemans and Jimmy represents him

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 4, 2017

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Sinteres posted:

It's something Alan Sepinwall has discussed with the creators a number of times, so this isn't something we're making up. The end of the first season definitely teased that he'd be hanging his own shingle and getting involved in more criminal activity rather than joining up with another firm to show us again how he wasn't a good fit for being a straight and narrow type of lawyer. I do think there were some benefits to slowing down, in that Kim was allowed to become a real character (she was the MVP of season 2 for me), but structurally the show became kind of a mess by holding off on bridging the gap between Jimmy and Mike's worlds. Nacho wasn't supposed to sit around doing nothing until the plot had a use for him late in season 3, you know? It's easy to forget he's even met Jimmy at this point.

It's possible I'm misremembering--and someone please correct me if I am--but don't I recall that they weren't sure they would get a second season at the time they developed the first-season arc? So the last episode was devised so that if that was indeed all we were going to get, you could say, "Yeah, that kind of looks like the story concludes, if you look at it from just the right angle in the right lighting and squint your eyes a little bit and make a couple of assumptions..." But at the same time leave it open to continuing if the behind-the-scenes stuff went that way? Or, at least, that was the intention?

That's certainly not the optimum situation for developing a story, but I don't think we have to think of it as excusing any clumsiness in the plot that results from it because, well, ultimately, the story has to be self-contained. But still.

Oh, hell. I don't know where I'm going with this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My impression is that this season was the only one where there's been any uncertainty about renewal, but I could be wrong.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I treat the first season as a "what might have been" thing, sort of a 1980s / 1990s styled drama wherein Jimmy is a rascal lawyer with a heart of gold despite not always staying on the right side of the law. Walking the tightrope of legal society and the illegal underworld to help people, while also trying to live up to the legacy of his medically troubled older brother and the legal firm he helped to found, basically. If we think about it, Jimmy got his legal degree and passed the bar in the first season, and as a character that would be a crossroads moment for someone like him. So we got to see one path, in a sense, had he been a bit more cautious, had Chuck been more supportive, and so on.

And now we see the darkened Jimmy transitioning into Saul, the one whose willingness to be overly flexible with rules, whose understandable but reckless resentment of his brother's view of him leads him to act out of spite, and who has thrown away reliable work (both as a public defender and at Davis and Main) because he felt they were dead ends compared to striking out on his own and doing his own thing.

That's how I reconcile the difference, anyway, even if Gilligan and crew didn't really intend for it to be that way.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:golfclap:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SeXReX posted:

I would watch that episode

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alan_Shore posted:

Every time Mike is on screen I'm loving it. I was enthralled watching him take a car apart. I feel sorry for people who don't enjoy Mike.

I've enjoyed just about every single Mike scene. Even the methodical ones because there's a lot of visual storytelling there.

People love to go "You're watching Mike watch paint dry" but they really are missing how the show fills in all the puzzle pieces with that stuff.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

That is the craziest thing I've read on this subforum, and there are posts from people enjoying the 100 here.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
season 2 of both better call saul and breaking bad are bad. it seems like gilligan just isn't that good at connecting the initial premise with the rising action; in both cases he got bogged down in all these little character beats and motivations to get them set up properly for the legitimately great stuff later on, but it's quite boring trying to get there

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I want an entire season of Slippin Jimmy just defending total crudlords

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

season 2 of both better call saul and breaking bad are bad. it seems like gilligan just isn't that good at connecting the initial premise with the rising action; in both cases he got bogged down in all these little character beats and motivations to get them set up properly for the legitimately great stuff later on, but it's quite boring trying to get there

I agree that season 2 of Breaking Bad isn't the high point of the show, but saying it's actually bad television seems like a pretty big stretch to me. We even got Saul Goodman that season!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

What I remember from the fast-paced high action TV of Breaking Bad was Walt and Jesse falling out and making up three times a season.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked the episode where they were about to get in trouble but everything turned out fine

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Venuz Patrol posted:

I agree that character motivations are quite boring.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lt. Danger posted:

What I remember from the fast-paced high action TV of Breaking Bad was Walt and Jesse falling out and making up three times a season.

Yep, and it was awesome. The beauty of it was that each time the fight was a little worse, each time they made up they felt a little closer, so it never felt repetitive.

And I don't know why Fly keeps getting brought in comparison to BCS. Fly was a chance to breathe in the middle of a Season 3 thrillride. Fly gave us some of the most important characterization for Walt in that it showed us his true feelings for some major events. It showed us that he wished he had died already because of the things he had done. Fly has more in common with a episode like Five-O of BCS, that no one complains about, than it does some of the complete total filler episodes of BCS like Episode 1 this year where Mike is playing with cars for 10 hours and staring at people with binoculars.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

We'll probably never get any conclusion to that if Chuck died and if the house burned down. Unless the fire inspector looks at his power box and sees there's some wire that's bypassing the breakers.

this is a little late but

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/arts/television/better-call-saul-finale-michael-mckean-chuck.html

quote:

Are we sure Chuck is definitely a goner?

I am. I know they want to bring me in for some flashbacks this coming season, but that’s kind of beside the point.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the lamp moved to the right

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ditty bout my clitty posted:

That is the craziest thing I've read on this subforum, and there are posts from people enjoying the 100 here.

I don't get why it's such a weird opinion. Do people think the first two seasons were bad or something?

Season 3 is very good, but compared to the first two seasons it feels like they had to move things very quickly in certain directions to get characters to particular places, whereas the first two seasons seemed to just flow more naturally and let the characters go where the story took them.

I also don't think there's yet been another scene as good as the one in the first season where Chuck tells Jimmy he's not a real lawyer.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 7, 2017

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
The disbarment scene was one of the best scenes i have ever seen on TV. The rest of the season had some real pacing issues. It was enjoyable, but they should move things on a bit faster. Lets see Saul for christ sake.

What do people think Chuck's mental illness was? I asked my wife, who has a masters in psycology and she said he likely had schizophrenia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cimber posted:

What do people think Chuck's mental illness was? I asked my wife, who has a masters in psycology and she said he likely had schizophrenia.

As someone who's had a panic disorder in the past, I could relate to a lot of it. I don't know if the specificity of his trigger and related symptoms could be fully explained by that, but anxiety can gently caress you up in ways that never would have made sense to me before I experienced it. My suspicion would be that they didn't have a firm diagnosis locked down though, and were leaning pretty heavily on dramatic license.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 7, 2017

• Locked thread