Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I genuinely don't think Kojima understood how to design for open world, and more money wouldn't have fixed that. The game might've felt less empty if he'd been able to keep working on it until he was satisfied (2019), but it still would've not been a fun open world experience. Hell, just the stupid backwards way fast travel works in the game is proof of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The point is that using 3 weapons for 40 hours is really goddamn boring

And CQC, which includes the amazing bionic ounch now. Non-lethal for DDog and D Gear or whatever. Non-lethal airstrikes. Non-lethal sniper.

I don't know what else you want, or why you think you could drive the soviet army out of Afghanistan non-lethally.

No one is restricting you to non-lethal except you, and no game in history has offered more non-lethal options.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the fast travel option was put in as a joke. Ride the horse or take the chopper.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It's like you guys are trying to convince me not to finish MGSV

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress them, it's one of the best games ever.

Edit: don't forget to kill people. You're Venom Snake, not Solid Snake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's like you guys are trying to convince me not to finish MGSV

Don't worry, the game is already not finished for you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

No one is restricting you to non-lethal except you, and no game in history has offered more non-lethal options.

Nobody except the game, whose entire gameplay outside of practically only the sneaking around revolves around you non-lethally taking out and extracting everyone you can. Not only does the game verbally disapprove of playing lethally in a bunch of different ways (from losing heroism to being chewed out by the characters themselves), they penalize you by making enemies more armored and geared up and even harder to take out.

Yes, I can ignore that and do it anyway, but I don't play video games for them to bitch at me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Was Splinter Cell good

I feel like Snake vs green goggles guy was a big deal when I was like 12
The first one was real bad but they got a little better. The main thing that differentiates Splinter Cell, especially the early ones, from MGS is that in SC stealth is the only interaction you have with the game while in MGS you can largely sleaze your way through them but if you are good at the game and master the systems you can satisfyingly stealth past everyone, its an incentive rather than a requirement. The first couple SC games just straight up give you a game over if people see you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, early in the game, but soon you don't have room for everyone and only bring the best.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

Was Splinter Cell good

Pandora Tomorrow/Chaos Theory's multiplayer mode was one of the all-time greats

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Honestly it's hard because I also got Nier:A on the gift train and I'm really excited to play that and I know I can't manage playing two big games like that at once :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Which one's the one where you can co-op as Red Russian Splinter Cell Guy?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

Was Splinter Cell good

Yeah sc1 and Sc3 are cool. Some people also like blacklist I guess

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sam Fisher was a cool character solely because of Michael Ironsides. Originally Sam was just kind of generic videogame soldier guy but Ironsides would only do the part if they let him rewrite the script and make the character more fleshed out.

Then in Blacklist they fired Michael Ironsides and made Sam a generic videogame soldier man. Good job, all!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

Was Splinter Cell good

I've never finished it but what I played of Blacklist was pretty good. Get ready for some very Jack Bauer-esque story tho.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

corn in the bible posted:

Sam Fisher was a cool character solely because of Michael Ironsides. Originally Sam was just kind of generic videogame soldier guy but Ironsides would only do the part if they let him rewrite the script and make the character more fleshed out.

Then in Blacklist they fired Michael Ironsides and made Sam a generic videogame soldier man. Good job, all!

They shoulda gotten Keifer Sutherland

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

They shoulda gotten Keifer Sutherland

They should've gotten Mickey Rourke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

corn in the bible posted:

I thought Ironsides didn't do Blacklist because he didn't like the direction they were taking Sam Fisher's characterization?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The best part of Blacklist is when you invade Iran and commit an act of war by blowing up dozens of Iranian soldiers and probably a bunch of civilians in the heart of Tehran but don't worry, it's OK because

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Nobody except the game, whose entire gameplay outside of practically only the sneaking around revolves around you non-lethally taking out and extracting everyone you can. Not only does the game verbally disapprove of playing lethally in a bunch of different ways (from losing heroism to being chewed out by the characters themselves), they penalize you by making enemies more armored and geared up and even harder to take out.

Yes, I can ignore that and do it anyway, but I don't play video games for them to bitch at me

The game will do that for you anyway, helmets and body armor. And ultimately extracting "everyone" is pointless because 90% of the soldiers suck and it's the leader or side missions that have the good characters. Everyone else is disposable.

The non-lethal options are just that: options. There's a lot wrong with MGS5 but Jesus don't make the game harder on yourself especially when that dude you extracted two missions ago is obsolete and needs to be replaced.

There was an interview with Klei about Invisible Inc and their approach to designing a stealth game. Non-lethal is meant to be hard because the objective isn't knocking dudes out, it's slipping by completely. Lethal attacks remove a piece of the level and as a result of making the game "easier" for yourself they have a mechanic to ramp up the tension faster than if you stayed out of the way. But both options aren't supposed to be used to the exclusion of the other. The tools they give you are expressly meant to help you navigate the game. It's why MGS as a series has more guns per game than any first person shooter.

Wamdoodle posted:

I thought Ironsides didn't do Blacklist because he didn't like the direction they were taking Sam Fisher's characterization?

That was for Convinction but he changed his mind. He actually wasn't part of Blacklist because video games have moved into the realm of motion capture actors and they needed someone more physically capable to play Fisher. Ironside has said he would love to come back as Fisher and supposedly will next game. There's no bad blood between him and Ubisoft, the dude makes characters his own.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
ARMS is a lot of fun

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

ARMS is a lot of fun

:yeah: I'm glad people are giving it a chance because it feels really fresh. They're even doing pro stuff.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

ARMS is good but I only get frustrated when I lose, whereas T7 keeps me coming back for more.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Arms sounds good but I've heard it is pretty light on content. How much is it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i bought doom 2016 and dishonored 2

which one should I play first

i want to say "both at once" but I can't

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

It's a full-price game. I rented it and alternated between that and Zelda, and had a few fun hours with it. However, it didn't really hook me the way that other fighting games this year have -- it's more of a Virtual On or, as someone described earlier, an "arena fighter". It definitely doesn't have much content beyond a single-player arcade mode and online (the minigames are not that great). I will probably put a few more hours into it before I trade it in for Splatoon 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i bought doom 2016 and dishonored 2

which one should I play first

i want to say "both at once" but I can't

Doom you can finish in a weekend, I say start with that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

FirstAidKite posted:

Everybody says every fighting game is light on content because you're buying these things for multiplayer. Seems good to me, although I haven't actually gone online yet because I haven't unlocked ranked

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

People who play a lot more than me are salty that kid cobra is broken at the top of ranked in a really bad way but ive had fun just playing here and there

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's broken about kid cobra, is it his uhh whatever skateboard thingy?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

What's broken about kid cobra, is it his uhh whatever skateboard thingy?

Thats only one stage. I dont know first hand i got to like rank 8 of 15 and stopped playing as much but apparently his mobility is just better and paired with fast gloves hes just a nightmare to fight. The samey cast that doesnt really differentiate itself too much also doesnt help when one character is just better at pro strats than others. Maybe somebody can explain better than me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Since anybody can use any arm the only thing that matters is mobility options since it's the only differentiating factor. So I bet snake guy is th fastest and you just use hosed up arms and win.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

He's got giant arms like the two heavies, but he doesn't have their drawbacks. So there's a strategy where you just do short hops and spam punches with the fists that increase in size when charged, and it's all safe.

It's not the only way to play at the top level, but its easy enough that any moron can do it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ARMs is light on content because they're doing the Splatoon thing of releasing free DLC stuff for it over time. It's getting another character next week (granted it's the boss from the single player mode but still).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ah...Snake Man the Gatekeeper

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just don't like Snake Man's stage because if you're both on the discs it can just be a whiff party until the timer runs out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When are they gonna make an ARMS character that uses the Ultra Hand!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Every week there's a new ARMS character people think is broken lol

Kid Cobra's deal is that his ground dodge is pretty short but his jump dodge goes really far. It's powerful but you can get around it. I assume they'll find something broken about other characters in a week or so.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I hate Snake Man's stage cause of those goddamn cloud covered missile fuckers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

He's got giant arms like the two heavies, but he doesn't have their drawbacks. So there's a strategy where you just do short hops and spam punches with the fists that increase in size when charged, and it's all safe.

It's not the only way to play at the top level, but its easy enough that any moron can do it.

He also can duck punches and throws while dashing forward automatically so its like he gets in free, has superior speed, and big rear end hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

He also can duck punches and throws while dashing forward automatically so its like he gets in free, has superior speed, and big rear end hands

Oh yeah I didn't even mention that he stole half of Helix's gimmick cause he doesn't even need it if you do that spam strat.

• Locked thread