Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Nobody loving played Golden Sun

Also MGS's nonsense is voiced while Golden Sun's is just an unending stream of dibble dibble beep boop :( :) :mad: :D

um, excuse you, you casual scrub, that's :) :D :( :mad:

god, get it right if you're gonna bitch about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm playing Persona 5 and I kind of hate the way your social link progression is tied to your dialog choices. It makes me feel like I'm wasting days if I go through them without looking at a guide (because I am).

Another thing: you get a party member late in the game who requires proficiency 5 to advance their social link at all. You need to do this to get the baton pass skill, which is pretty essential if you actually want to use them. My proficiency was only at 3 so I just decided to forgo using them, since I was getting to the end and wanted finish up social links and had no idea how many days maxing out my proficiency would cost me.

Finally: they really phoned it in on Futaba's personas, jeez.

It's some pretty loving terrible design and basically encourages you to shelf a character unless you just happened to max out that stat anyway. I don't want to read a guide on my first playthrough just to get a basic combat that everyone else can get easily, without spending a ton of time leveling up a stat. The stat system in general is pretty bad because there's no real rhyme or reason to what stats you need to progress some links. One character needs good knowledge to unlock (which makes sense given the character) and then...charm to progress past rank 5. Maxed out charm. You have to be the most suave motherfucker in the city to be best friends with her. it's dumb

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Nobody loving played Golden Sun

Also MGS's nonsense is voiced while Golden Sun's is just an unending stream of dibble dibble beep boop :( :) :mad: :D

I actually played through all three Golden Sun games (with an impressive amount of cheats so I could blitz right through) a few months back - Golden Sun and The Lost Age weren't too bad once I started fast-forwarding the talking and bro-nodding sections. Then I got to Dark Dawn. I thought I was used to the incessant talking by then, but apparently I was wrong! Every single plot point comes with all the party members having a pow-pow about how bad the baddies are and how sad that X person died and how they need to find that feather! and and and ARGH

The next indication for me that Dark Dawn was not going to be very good came at the beginning, when you're given Djinn for the first time. Your dad loans you a Djinni, then asks you if you know what to do with it. When you select "yes", your dad decides this info is too crucial not to tell you, so you're forced to go through the painfully slow tutorial anyway, leaving me to wonder why there was even a choice to begin with. The game also makes damned well sure you know what to interact with when - there's a part early on where you're in an probably Indian-inspired temple and you're given a hint to "sit on the statue's hands". Now, there's only one statue in the ruins that's big enough to climb on, and you actually ran across its hands earlier on - easy enough to figure out, right? Well, the game has no faith in your intelligence, because immediately after reading the hint, there's a cutscene where the game slowly pans up to the statue's hands and then hovers there for a good few seconds. Thanks a lot, game - couldn't have guessed that on my own.

However, the worst part of Dark Dawn and the part that still irritates me to this day are the villains. See, in normal storytelling, the puppet-master isn't revealed until the climax, with maybe a few hints during the story to let you guess that someone else is pulling the strings. This is effective because it allows the reader/viewer/player to look back and see what actions were manipulated by them, without having it rubbed in their face. Dark Dawn decides to go a different route - every single villain is manipulating everything your characters do from the first time you meet them, from what route you take to what people you have as party members to what ancient machines you restart. However, they aren't content to do all this behind the scenes - no, they have to gloat about it. Every. Single. Time. There's a part where you have to get magma cores or something from a mountain roc, so you make your way up the mountain to said roc, and who should appear but the baddies! They haven't come to kill the roc and take the cores before you do, no - they're too hands-off for that. Instead, they'll just coerce you into killing it and getting the cores for them. Then they reiterate that you have to kill it for them. Then after the battle they remind you that you have to go get the cores for them. Then they get all smug that you're doing their dirty work. Like, holy loving poo poo I get it you're evil and mean and probably blackmail someone into kicking puppies for you - just tone it down a notch!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

It's some pretty loving terrible design and basically encourages you to shelf a character unless you just happened to max out that stat anyway. I don't want to read a guide on my first playthrough just to get a basic combat that everyone else can get easily, without spending a ton of time leveling up a stat. The stat system in general is pretty bad because there's no real rhyme or reason to what stats you need to progress some links. One character needs good knowledge to unlock (which makes sense given the character) and then...charm to progress past rank 5. Maxed out charm. You have to be the most suave motherfucker in the city to be best friends with her. it's dumb

What annoys me about the stat system in P5 is how going to school is apparently utterly worthless. I can spend 8 hours a day in school for a year and apparently learn nothing, yet if I start spending time in some cafe drinking tea and reading, all of a sudden I become some kind of genius. Acadamagia does the same thing, it's more effective to skip lessons and read a book than go to them and actually be taught.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jayme posted:

I actually played through all three Golden Sun games (with an impressive amount of cheats so I could blitz right through) a few months back - Golden Sun and The Lost Age weren't too bad once I started fast-forwarding the talking and bro-nodding sections. Then I got to Dark Dawn. I thought I was used to the incessant talking by then, but apparently I was wrong! Every single plot point comes with all the party members having a pow-pow about how bad the baddies are and how sad that X person died and how they need to find that feather! and and and ARGH

The next indication for me that Dark Dawn was not going to be very good came at the beginning, when you're given Djinn for the first time. Your dad loans you a Djinni, then asks you if you know what to do with it. When you select "yes", your dad decides this info is too crucial not to tell you, so you're forced to go through the painfully slow tutorial anyway, leaving me to wonder why there was even a choice to begin with. The game also makes damned well sure you know what to interact with when - there's a part early on where you're in an probably Indian-inspired temple and you're given a hint to "sit on the statue's hands". Now, there's only one statue in the ruins that's big enough to climb on, and you actually ran across its hands earlier on - easy enough to figure out, right? Well, the game has no faith in your intelligence, because immediately after reading the hint, there's a cutscene where the game slowly pans up to the statue's hands and then hovers there for a good few seconds. Thanks a lot, game - couldn't have guessed that on my own.

However, the worst part of Dark Dawn and the part that still irritates me to this day are the villains. See, in normal storytelling, the puppet-master isn't revealed until the climax, with maybe a few hints during the story to let you guess that someone else is pulling the strings. This is effective because it allows the reader/viewer/player to look back and see what actions were manipulated by them, without having it rubbed in their face. Dark Dawn decides to go a different route - every single villain is manipulating everything your characters do from the first time you meet them, from what route you take to what people you have as party members to what ancient machines you restart. However, they aren't content to do all this behind the scenes - no, they have to gloat about it. Every. Single. Time. There's a part where you have to get magma cores or something from a mountain roc, so you make your way up the mountain to said roc, and who should appear but the baddies! They haven't come to kill the roc and take the cores before you do, no - they're too hands-off for that. Instead, they'll just coerce you into killing it and getting the cores for them. Then they reiterate that you have to kill it for them. Then after the battle they remind you that you have to go get the cores for them. Then they get all smug that you're doing their dirty work. Like, holy loving poo poo I get it you're evil and mean and probably blackmail someone into kicking puppies for you - just tone it down a notch!

To top it off the game commits the unforgivable sin of making a whole mess of djinns permanently missable, completely and utterly crippling the only cool aspect of the game, which is all the cool class combinations you can do

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gerblyn posted:

I can spend 8 hours a day in school for a year and apparently learn nothing, yet if I start spending time in some cafe drinking tea and reading, all of a sudden I become some kind of genius. Acadamagia does the same thing, it's more effective to skip lessons and read a book than go to them and actually be taught.

I mean that sounds about right for a lot of places. :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

rear end creed syndicate is like 42 GB. DOOM is like 70. Even motorsport manager is 15. Games are too big for the pipes we try and download them through and the harddrives we have.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

ilmucche posted:

rear end creed syndicate is like 42 GB. DOOM is like 70. Even motorsport manager is 15. Games are too big for the pipes we try and download them through and the harddrives we have.

What's worse about Doom is that it's got a lot of multiplayer and map creation stuff that was added later. I know some people out there care about that, and that's fine, but I wish there was an option for someone like me who really just wants to replay the excellent single player campaign and would rather just download the 30-40 GB (or whatever it initially was) for that.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Witcher III: What gives with the post-death loading times? It's not a problem all the time, but for whatever reason it seems to take ages when I'm reloading after I die. (Usually because I decided 'sure I can probably take that basilisk 9 levels above me with basic equipment' but that doesn't really answer the question.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That we never got a Castlevania set in 1999 during the Demon Castle Wars

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

7 Days to Die was on sale during the steam sale and it has a problem similar to minecraft, in that i play it for what feels like 5 minutes and 45 minutes have actually elapsed and its really loving with my sleep schedule

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Len posted:

As a young man very much into the DS Castlevanias, this bothered me a lot too. It's too bad Konami exploded.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wafflemoose posted:

Mother 3 sucks as a game. It's a fun story but man it's a slog going through four chapters before it gives you control of the main character proper. gently caress the monkey's chapter in particular, what an unfun mess that was. It also has the same problems as Golden Sun, TOO MUCH STOPPING AND TALKING. I get that JRPGs are dialog heavy but enough to with stopping and talking every couple seconds, I just want to go on Goonies-like adventures to weird places and bash strange creatures over the head with a baseball bat.

Earthbound is way more fun anyway.

I wouldn't even go that far. Pretty much the entire reason the story in Earthbound was interesting was due to the modern American setting and the humor and the juxtaposition of childhood wonder and exploration with cosmic darkness, Mother 3 threw all that away and was instead yet another RPG set in a fantasy version of rural Japan with a really bitter and resentful story about how life and society was so much better before Westerners ruined everything with television and swarthy foreign businessmen.

Len posted:

I really wish the two Soma Cruz games had done literally anything at all with their modern setting. Dawn of Sorrow had a rocket launcher you could unlock in a boss rush but that was about it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I wouldn't even go that far. Pretty much the entire reason the story in Earthbound was interesting was due to the modern American setting and the humor and the juxtaposition of childhood wonder and exploration with cosmic darkness, Mother 3 threw all that away and was instead yet another RPG set in a fantasy version of rural Japan with a really bitter and resentful story about how life and society was so much better before Westerners ruined everything with television and swarthy foreign businessmen.

I liked Mother 3 at the time, but years after playing it...it's a big disappointment. A vague fantasy land where the villains are Basically America and Icky Brown Foreigners. After the previous two games featuring good guy scientists and party members who used gadgets as their main gimmick, the whole ~Technology bad, nature good~ poo poo felt really, really at odds with the previous games. It just wasn't at all subtle, nor was there really anything concrete in the game to say that hey, actually, it's just the way this particular group abuse technology that's the problem.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just finished the main story of Final Fantasy XIV and while it's cool that they make dungeons part of the story there is a problem with the approach, people don't want to watch the cutscenes after the first time. Unless you're playing with patient friends you're probably going to be forced to skip the cutscenes and watch them later at an inn.

The final two quests of the base mains story are eight-man dungeons (the first two in the game, they're normally four-man) packed full of long cutscenes before and after every objective. Had I used the Duty Finder (matchmaking) and played it with a random group there wasn't a chance in hell that I'd actually been able to watch them, I was lucky that two generous goons volunteered to carry me through the dungeons (they were lvl70, the dungeons were lvl50) and wait while I watched the story.

Apparently Square learned their lesson and haven't done that with any further dungeons, opting to instead put the story stuff at the end so anybody who doesn't want to watch them can leave without ruining it for anyone else.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Veotax posted:

I just finished the main story of Final Fantasy XIV and while it's cool that they make dungeons part of the story there is a problem with the approach, people don't want to watch the cutscenes after the first time. Unless you're playing with patient friends you're probably going to be forced to skip the cutscenes and watch them later at an inn.

The final two quests of the base mains story are eight-man dungeons (the first two in the game, they're normally four-man) packed full of long cutscenes before and after every objective. Had I used the Duty Finder (matchmaking) and played it with a random group there wasn't a chance in hell that I'd actually been able to watch them, I was lucky that two generous goons volunteered to carry me through the dungeons (they were lvl70, the dungeons were lvl50) and wait while I watched the story.

Apparently Square learned their lesson and haven't done that with any further dungeons, opting to instead put the story stuff at the end so anybody who doesn't want to watch them can leave without ruining it for anyone else.
You can watch all the cutscenes even with a randomly-matched group, you just won't be able to help them. It doesn't matter, because they're incredibly easy. Either way, it's not well-designed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Ridiculous Fishing by Vlambeer (Nuclear Throne, Luftrausers) is the rare phone game that is an actual game and not an ant farm with a bunch of meters you throw money at to watch them fill up faster. For $2.99 with no ads or in-app purchases I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it and would totally recommend it for anyone looking for a fun, arcadey game.

Except for these fuckers:

For anyone who hasnt played the game, the basic gameplay loop of Ridiculous Fishing is:

1.)Tilt your phone to manuever your fishing lure as deep as possible without touching any fish
2.)When you do finally hook a fish the line gets reeled in and you have to try and catch as many fish as possible on the way up
3.)When you hit the surface the inertia sends the fish flying in the air and you use your gun to shoot them out of the air, which gives you money you can use on upgrades to go even deeper next time

One of the wrinkles the game adds as you go along is that levels start being filled with jellyfish which make you lose money when caught, so you want to avoid catching them or shooting them but even if you bag a few it's no big deal. The problem with Clone Jellies is that not only are they effectively unkillable but every time you damage one it not only makes you lose money but it also instantaneously splits into two identical Clone Jellies. And each of those Clone Jellies can in turn split the second the spawn into existence. So between the rapidly moving camera of the shooting segment and the fact that most of your guns are full-auto or have area of effect all it takes is a single bad swipe of your finger and you have a screen full of jellyfish and no money.

It's one of the few enemies that is made even worse by your upgrades, because most of your upgrades are offensive in nature (like a chainsaw lure that lets you cut through fish or a toaster on your line that automatically kills the first enemy you touch and can be further upgraded to kill everything on screen when activated) so when you're fully upgraded a brush against a Clone Jelly can burn through all of your defensive items and send you hurtling back to the surface through a screen full of freshly-spawned jellyfish.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Guy Mann posted:

Ridiculous Fishing by Vlambeer (Nuclear Throne, Luftrausers) is the rare phone game that is an actual game and not an ant farm with a bunch of meters you throw money at to watch them fill up faster. For $2.99 with no ads or in-app purchases I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it and would totally recommend it for anyone looking for a fun, arcadey game.

Except for these fuckers:

For anyone who hasnt played the game, the basic gameplay loop of Ridiculous Fishing is:

1.)Tilt your phone to manuever your fishing lure as deep as possible without touching any fish
2.)When you do finally hook a fish the line gets reeled in and you have to try and catch as many fish as possible on the way up
3.)When you hit the surface the inertia sends the fish flying in the air and you use your gun to shoot them out of the air, which gives you money you can use on upgrades to go even deeper next time

One of the wrinkles the game adds as you go along is that levels start being filled with jellyfish which make you lose money when caught, so you want to avoid catching them or shooting them but even if you bag a few it's no big deal. The problem with Clone Jellies is that not only are they effectively unkillable but every time you damage one it not only makes you lose money but it also instantaneously splits into two identical Clone Jellies. And each of those Clone Jellies can in turn split the second the spawn into existence. So between the rapidly moving camera of the shooting segment and the fact that most of your guns are full-auto or have area of effect all it takes is a single bad swipe of your finger and you have a screen full of jellyfish and no money.

It's one of the few enemies that is made even worse by your upgrades, because most of your upgrades are offensive in nature (like a chainsaw lure that lets you cut through fish or a toaster on your line that automatically kills the first enemy you touch and can be further upgraded to kill everything on screen when activated) so when you're fully upgraded a brush against a Clone Jelly can burn through all of your defensive items and send you hurtling back to the surface through a screen full of freshly-spawned jellyfish.

I can't believe they remade the fishing minigame from donkey kong country https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMuPBXNcUVE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always hate when games have a main character do something that not only is a lovely thing to do but that is unnecessary in the grand scheme of things, especially to a likable character. For example, I always get annoyed with Harry Mason is Silent Hill 1 for his treatment of Lisa Garland. When she transforms, she knows it's coming and she's terrified. The last thing she wants is to face losing her humanity alone, but Harry flees as soon as things get hairy. He should have waited until she lost herself then mercy killed her, hell he basically did that with Sybil and she was armed with a gun. The fact that he was willing to face Sybill only makes his treatment of the relatively harmless monster that Lisa would have become (As far as Harry knows she'd have become one of the possessed nurses, not a hard fight. She didn't but he didn't know that) seem fairly cruel.

The same kind of hypocrisy happens in Brutal Legend. I really liked Eddie in that game, because he seemed fairly genre savvy. When Cordelia mentions that she is distrusted by the others due to being of the sea of black tears, be brushes it off and promises her that he will never abandon her. As soon as the villain, who he knows is the villain and not to be trusted, claims that she was his minion all along Eddie listens to him over Cordelia's protests, gets mad at her for no justifiable reason and immediately abandons her, dooming her to return to the Sea of Black Tears, eventually leading the forces of black metal against him. I immediately lost a lot of respect for him in that cutscene.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tardcore posted:

I can't believe they remade the fishing minigame from donkey kong country https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMuPBXNcUVE

It's much deeper than that, thank god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKcJ8QFbMk

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

BioEnchanted posted:

I always hate when games have a main character do something that not only is a lovely thing to do but that is unnecessary in the grand scheme of things, especially to a likable character. For example, I always get annoyed with Harry Mason is Silent Hill 1 for his treatment of Lisa Garland. When she transforms, she knows it's coming and she's terrified. The last thing she wants is to face losing her humanity alone, but Harry flees as soon as things get hairy. He should have waited until she lost herself then mercy killed her, hell he basically did that with Sybil and she was armed with a gun. The fact that he was willing to face Sybill only makes his treatment of the relatively harmless monster that Lisa would have become (As far as Harry knows she'd have become one of the possessed nurses, not a hard fight. She didn't but he didn't know that) seem fairly cruel.

Dude he's in Silent Hill and a girl started throwing up blood and begging him to stay with her while her eyes turn pitch black, I think we can forgive Harry not wanting to stroke her hair and tell her she was a brave soldier

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

What annoys me about the stat system in P5 is how going to school is apparently utterly worthless. I can spend 8 hours a day in school for a year and apparently learn nothing, yet if I start spending time in some cafe drinking tea and reading, all of a sudden I become some kind of genius. Acadamagia does the same thing, it's more effective to skip lessons and read a book than go to them and actually be taught.

What I hate about Academagia is the awful skill system.

Now, for people who aren't familiar with the game, basically it's one of those Select your schedule for the week, pencil in 'adventure' on Wednesday life sim games, where you're basically Harry Potter.

Events give you two or three options to choose from at each decision point, which get determined by rolls based on your ranks in the appropriate "parent skill" or subskill. A 'parent skill' gets levelled up based on the lowest subskill, so to rank up 'war' you have to seperately rank up 'command', 'logistics', and 'leadership'

This would be okay, but:

There are 310 distinct skills in the game.

As you can guess, they ran out of ideas pretty quickly. There's the "Compete" parent skill, which includes "Manipulation", "Planning", "Wit", and ... "Striving Against the Foe". But not "Competition", because "Competition" is an Athletics skill.

It's also a game where you're supposed to recruit friends into your team to go on adventures with, but without a level-cap breaking mind control spell it's literally impossible to make friends with anyone who already is a friend with someone else.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
One relatively small thing that annoyed me about Fallout New Vegas was the voice acting for a lot of the minor NPCs. There were a lot of instances where the line readings were totally wrong, like the voice actors weren't given any context for their lines and emphasized the wrong words, sometimes changing the meaning of a line. It's been a while since I played so I can't recall any specific examples, but I do clearly remember one character in Caesar's main camp whose voice actor was just awful, he sounded like a horrible community theater nerd trying to do an over-the-top "evil" voice and it was just so bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unless i missed it, that I couldnt just gently caress off out of the Mojave in Fallout New Vegas. I didnt care about any of the politics or Benny and ultimately got bored because I felt directionless and also that the vegas strip was three loading zones deep.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

SkeletonHero posted:

What's worse about Doom is that it's got a lot of multiplayer and map creation stuff that was added later. I know some people out there care about that, and that's fine, but I wish there was an option for someone like me who really just wants to replay the excellent single player campaign and would rather just download the 30-40 GB (or whatever it initially was) for that.

Titanfall was pretty bullshit too. It clocked in at 55 gigs, 30 gigs of which was uncompressed audio in all the languages it supported. God I wish there was an option for "No, I'm only ever going to play this in English (or whatever) stop filling up my HD with useless crap."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Unless i missed it, that I couldnt just gently caress off out of the Mojave in Fallout New Vegas. I didnt care about any of the politics or Benny and ultimately got bored because I felt directionless and also that the vegas strip was three loading zones deep.

We discussed that. "The Courier fucks off and leaves the area to its own devices" was a cut ending.

Also, iirc, New Vegas being three loading zone was a case echoing Deus Ex Invisible War: the devs were keeping console systems in mind, and a full New Vegas would've stalled out systems. I want to say that there's deleted cells / test cells that were of a more complete New Vegas that you can peruse, but I'm going off faulty memory.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Barudak posted:

Like any game if youre not invested in the main plot theres just not much there for you.

there is a gently caress everyone and take over new vegas yourself option though

MisterBibs posted:

We discussed that. "The Courier fucks off and leaves the area to its own devices" was a cut ending.
I dont think that was ever planned, just peoples wishful thinking. The "independent new vegas" option is clearly meant to be the fallback option if you dont like any of the characters.

quote:

Also, iirc, New Vegas being three loading zone was a case echoing Deus Ex Invisible War: the devs were keeping console systems in mind, and a full New Vegas would've stalled out systems. I want to say that there's deleted cells / test cells that were of a more complete New Vegas that you can peruse, but I'm going off faulty memory.
One of the most popular mods combines it into one cell.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Jul 9, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hollow Knight could use a couple more save points.

I died in a tough fight in god-knows-where, in a zone I hadn't found the map for yet... only to discover the last bench I sat on was something like 25 rooms ago, two areas back, and I don't remember how to get back to where I died.

The game doesn't have the courtesy to put save points anywhere near bosses or big fights, and as a result some of the bosses have Smelter Demon-esque lovely runbacks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think that was ever planned, just peoples wishful thinking.

It was mentioned on the Fallout Wiki somewhere, but I can't seem to find it, but that's 80% because I can't remember the name of the location where you'd go. It was a corner spot that I don't think the game ever directs you to; it's in-universe the way to get out of the Vegas era.

Non-specific one: I miss Valve-style train-your-players-and-test-the-poo poo-out-of-it systems as a whole. I'm playing a random puzzle game, and as I go along I'm finding more and more I'm running into situations where I've completely lost the plot on what I'm supposed to do to progress. Every time I do (and run off to youtube to find that you have to do Thing X You Never Had To Do Before), I'm reminded of a Valve commentary where they explain that testers had a problem here, so they did a minor change and everyone then wrapped their head around it. Nowadays, it seems everything is ":shrug: get gud" nonsense.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

It was mentioned on the Fallout Wiki somewhere, but I can't seem to find it, but that's 80% because I can't remember the name of the location where you'd go. It was a corner spot that I don't think the game ever directs you to; it's in-universe the way to get out of the Vegas era.

On the map low left corner there is an NCR outpost with two huge statues; That road goes back to the California, and is in-game a sort of border control/caravan rest stop. You visit that place 1-2 hours into the game story, just before introduction of the Legion presence.

There is another valley with road out a bit North from it, but that is a staging area for a DLC area.

However, my gripe is with the non-strip areas of New Vegas. OK, so entry to the strip is a priviledge, so there should be a large colony of people around the city. Well, there technically is, but it is mostly made of badly tested, unpopulated and broken areas. I was on my 3rd play-trough when I found out that there actually was "west side" area, access hidden to the cul-de-sac of wasteland crap.

Also, the undercity in the sewers was a mess, and even the one area that actually was sort-of used, had locations which were unmarked and badly designed. I think access to one side mission building was literally via standard "non-usable" doorway. Its like 75% of the areas were simply not play tested, or ready for release.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Jul 9, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The fact that Magikarp Jump does not let me take my comparatively uber karp back to the early leagues is a travesty.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So I just did a playthrough of Fallout 4, and I tried to play it to character the way the plot seems to suggest. I skipped all side content, told Garvey to go gently caress himself (I still had to talk to him in the museum to unlock the Diamond City quest) and just beelined towards Shaun. It was actually pretty enjoyable, the plot feels a lot more believable and cohesive simply from the urgency you see in the script actually matching how you play. Being underleveled and underequipped made the gameplay more interesting too. I found the baby after about 10 hours, and I was level 12.

I'm not saying that this negates anyone's criticisms at all, just that it's a viable possiblity if the whole "WHERE'S MY BABY???:byodame:" schtick is messing with you. gently caress trying to roleplay as a lawyer though, you need some serious firepower to clear the main quest. I just had to pretend that "Lawyer" was a cover for my secret CIA SpecOps training or something.

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, I couldn't get into it either. There are so many skills that it feels like even if you dedicate a whole week to training something up, that you haven't gotten anywhere, since none of the skills you trained have turned up in your adventures.

I also could not for the life of me figure out why you'd want to cast spells on other students. Like, I could put a misfortune curse on someone for afew days, but what's the point? There didn't seem to be any actual benefit to doing so...

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Jul 9, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Hollow Knight could use a couple more save points.

I died in a tough fight in god-knows-where, in a zone I hadn't found the map for yet... only to discover the last bench I sat on was something like 25 rooms ago, two areas back, and I don't remember how to get back to where I died.

The game doesn't have the courtesy to put save points anywhere near bosses or big fights, and as a result some of the bosses have Smelter Demon-esque lovely runbacks.

And on that note, the fact that you still need to buy/find new maps even after buying the item that specifically allows you to fill in your map via exploring. Have fun trying to remember the exact path you took ten minutes ago in the search of your corpse because you haven't stumbled over the map-guy for this section yet.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Hirsute posted:

One relatively small thing that annoyed me about Fallout New Vegas was the voice acting for a lot of the minor NPCs. There were a lot of instances where the line readings were totally wrong, like the voice actors weren't given any context for their lines and emphasized the wrong words, sometimes changing the meaning of a line. It's been a while since I played so I can't recall any specific examples, but I do clearly remember one character in Caesar's main camp whose voice actor was just awful, he sounded like a horrible community theater nerd trying to do an over-the-top "evil" voice and it was just so bad.

Speaking of Npc's. I think it does suck pretty bad when you find out a character that you needed or wanted alive (usually to get a good ending or if its like a traveling merchant) managed to get themselves killed or in one case, a character that you need to make peace with the khans literally despawns after you do a certain quest which you can start well before you actually meet the khans.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ilmucche posted:

1TB hard drives are relatively cheap these days but I agree game install sizes have gotten pretty ridiculous. What's really is annoying is the load times, even on an SSD or recently defragged HDD the majority of these heavyweight games takes forever to load. At least I can go make a cup of coffee or browse the forums so I guess it's not all that bad. :shrug:

Of course, once I have all those games installed I don't want to play any of them and instead play some old classic or indie game instead. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's ironic that as SSDs got cheaper, video game installs ballooned to such an extent that it's impractical to have more than one installed on an SSD at a time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Now, for people who aren't familiar with the game, basically it's one of those Select your schedule for the week, pencil in 'adventure' on Wednesday life sim games, where you're basically Harry Potter.

Events give you two or three options to choose from at each decision point, which get determined by rolls based on your ranks in the appropriate "parent skill" or subskill. A 'parent skill' gets levelled up based on the lowest subskill, so to rank up 'war' you have to seperately rank up 'command', 'logistics', and 'leadership'

This would be okay, but:

There are 310 distinct skills in the game.

As you can guess, they ran out of ideas pretty quickly. There's the "Compete" parent skill, which includes "Manipulation", "Planning", "Wit", and ... "Striving Against the Foe". But not "Competition", because "Competition" is an Athletics skill.

It's also a game where you're supposed to recruit friends into your team to go on adventures with, but without a level-cap breaking mind control spell it's literally impossible to make friends with anyone who already is a friend with someone else.

The way you're describing it, it sounds like Long Live the Queen minus all the anime

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

scarycave posted:

Speaking of Npc's. I think it does suck pretty bad when you find out a character that you needed or wanted alive (usually to get a good ending or if its like a traveling merchant) managed to get themselves killed or in one case, a character that you need to make peace with the khans literally despawns after you do a certain quest which you can start well before you actually meet the khans.

She didn't despawn, she fell through the quarry and she's standing 400 meters below the waypoint.

*if its actually someone different i wont be surprised

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
I'm almost certain there's an ending for F:NV where you can go to the Mojave Outpost at the bottom of the map and just gently caress off. Pretty sure it ends the game early and has its own ending card thing, almost like a non-standard game over.

Content: I got FFXIV in a PS4 sale purely because I'm a sucker for games that let you play dress-up. Kinda wish I'd got it on PC, because the controls and UI feel like they were 100% made for using with a mouse. Sometimes it feels a bit awkward with a controller, something I probably should've expected. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

I'm almost certain there's an ending for F:NV where you can go to the Mojave Outpost at the bottom of the map and just gently caress off. Pretty sure it ends the game early and has its own ending card thing, almost like a non-standard game over.

I think that was going to be an ending, but they decided not to do it. instead if you bomb the NCR at the end of lonesome road, you can go through the gates to an irradiated highway where NCR ghouls will murder you