Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
The community is worse yeah but i'm a sucker for the concept/gameplay. It's fun to shoot the aliums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Colonial Marines community is not super great

But that WWII server that was orginally Aza's (ugh) idea took the cake for worst server by default

Last entry in list of Rules for the WWII server posted:

4) Any female\black skin character on Wehrmacht side is permitted to be lynched, gassed and killed. Any female on Soviet side exept Sanitar\Zavhoz\Sniper is permitted to be beaten up and sent to according role by officers. Any black person in Soviet Army are permitted to be beaten up(couple punches, disarms, nothing more) and mocked by others.

:catstare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That is some incredibly thinly veiled misogyny and racism. :ughh:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I take my roleplay racism/sexism VERY SERIOUSLY.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Poil posted:

That is some incredibly thinly veiled misogyny and racism. :ughh:

It's not even thinly veiled.

But it probably offers some great opportunity to make those assholes mad.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
It's probably best not to bother. I mean the potential for some easy grief is there, but chances are some turbonerd will out-stupid your robustness and you only feed their cycle of shittery.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I could see the admins of the WW2 server banning somebody playing as a black character for trying to fight back against teammates trying to lynch them.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I want to join the server with like thirty goons as all black woman nazis and start exterminating all the men

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dylguy90 posted:

I want to join the server with like thirty goons as all black woman nazis and start exterminating all the men

Totally down for this.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, get some stable mutagen and turn yourself into another player. Then rob them of their ID stuff and spend the round convincing people you're the real one.

I did this to a HoS once after an extended feud. Although, not only did I take his appearance and ID, I gave him mine.

Then he found himself arrested for the crimes I committed against him. :getin:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This game sounds hilarious. I heard about it a week ago and I've watched one youtube video, the impression i get is that the possibilities are endless :monocle:

So far I've played three games. First couple of times I managed to wander out of an airlock while trying to get to grips with handling and equipping objects, the third time I spawned as a chef and couldn't figure out how to use the mixer (i put eggs, butter and flour in, but mixing didn't achieve anything... I assume i needed water, but i couldn't work out how to empty a bowl of water into the mixer and instead i kept putting the bowl itself in :doh:).

I did however successfully deep fry the kitchen helper monkey :allears:

Also I found a cake, passed it off as my own, and sold it for 700 credits to some guy who kept winning the lottery. I guess he had spare cash to throw around. I used to money to buy bandages from a vending machine, since the monkey had put up a bit of a struggle. I didn't know where the get a mop though, so the kitchen remained coated in blood :(.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The fact that you survived a fight with a monkey on your third round ever means you are destined to be a robust combat system god.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This game sounds hilarious. I heard about it a week ago and I've watched one youtube video, the impression i get is that the possibilities are endless :monocle:

So far I've played three games. First couple of times I managed to wander out of an airlock while trying to get to grips with handling and equipping objects, the third time I spawned as a chef and couldn't figure out how to use the mixer (i put eggs, butter and flour in, but mixing didn't achieve anything... I assume i needed water, but i couldn't work out how to empty a bowl of water into the mixer and instead i kept putting the bowl itself in :doh:).

I did however successfully deep fry the kitchen helper monkey :allears:

Also I found a cake, passed it off as my own, and sold it for 700 credits to some guy who kept winning the lottery. I guess he had spare cash to throw around. I used to money to buy bandages from a vending machine, since the monkey had put up a bit of a struggle. I didn't know where the get a mop though, so the kitchen remained coated in blood :(.

You're doing it right, friend.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eh, the blood adds flavor.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nakar posted:

The fact that you survived a fight with a monkey on your third round ever means you are destined to be a robust combat system god.

I have seen many newbies fall to the small, angry hands of a slighted monkey.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My first round I accidentally wandered into belt hell and ended up in the crusher.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Beat myself into a concussion the first time I tried to use a toolbox

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Periodically I'll resurface to ask: have there been any new developments in getting this shitbox to run in macOS Sierra?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Macintosh HD posted:

Periodically I'll resurface to ask: have there been any new developments in getting this shitbox to run in macOS Sierra?

It should work in WINE :

https://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/54zb1o/byond_mac_wrapper_updated/

But it wouldn't be difficult at all to just spin up a VM just for BYOND usage, which is what I used to do on a mac laptop with enough RAM.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Pacra posted:

It should work in WINE :

https://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/54zb1o/byond_mac_wrapper_updated/

But it wouldn't be difficult at all to just spin up a VM just for BYOND usage, which is what I used to do on a mac laptop with enough RAM.

I appreciate it, but that particular set of instructions doesn't work on anything after Yosemite, as far as I can tell. I've tried it. :(.

Yeah, a VM might be the way to go but I'm always looking for ways to avoid it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You did better than my first Chef game where I accidentally deep fried my knife, put it out on a plate, then got beaten to death by George.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

[quote="“LOCUST FART HELL”" post="“474199971”"]
My first round I accidentally wandered into belt hell and ended up in the crusher.
[/quote]

A revolutionary held me, the only sec, hostage in a locker and said he’d crush me if the AI didn’t unlock its core. He threw the locker into the crusher belt and nothing happened. Apparently a Clown Car that I’d thrown down there earlier in the round broke it due to :byond: and we had a big laugh.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

A revolutionary held me, the only sec, hostage in a locker and said he’d crush me if the AI didn’t unlock its core. He threw the locker into the crusher belt and nothing happened. Apparently a Clown Car that I’d thrown down there earlier in the round broke it due to :byond: and we had a big laugh.

Clown cars and ai cores are uncrusherable.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My favourite pastime as a traitor mechanic has to be setting up teleporter traps all over the station that toss you into the running crusher

Admittedly the limited number of security tend to make this about as dangerous as fishing in a quiet pond, but still.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I have seen many newbies fall to the small, angry hands of a slighted monkey.

I died to monkeys as loving macho man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fL-G3S22n0

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

my first round involved walking into engineering as a technical assistant (that's how long ago this was), getting stuck in the singularity room ( I don't think tech assists had access to that specific room) and then dying to a sabotaged singularity because one of the engineers turned off one or two of the emitters

frodnonnag posted:

Clown cars and ai cores are uncrusherable.

this is interesting to know.

still, it doesn't stop people running into the wall of the crusher and throwing everyone out :frogout:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Conot posted:

My favourite pastime as a traitor mechanic has to be setting up teleporter traps all over the station that toss you into the running crusher

Admittedly the limited number of security tend to make this about as dangerous as fishing in a quiet pond, but still.

I really wish mechanic stuff had more distinction between friendly and unfriendly purposes. It's hard to set up useful or gimmicky devices because stepping onto a pressure plate or into a laser tripwire is about as smart as eating floorpills, and any idiot with a wrench can dismantle your whole setup. If a random passerby sees an incomprehensible contraption of pressure plates and teleporters at the entrance to Medbay, they tend to assume it's some kind of elaborate and poorly hidden deathtrap.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

pnutz posted:

this is interesting to know.

still, it doesn't stop people running into the wall of the crusher and throwing everyone out :frogout:

it makes clown cars, when they spawn, really loving hard to permanently get rid of. people will belt hell them and forget or try to sell to qm, neither of which do anything.

The other big issue with clowncars is picking up a mutant with the irradiated gene. It'll promptly rad up everyone in the car to lethal levels. I think its based on per step exposure and therefore you move a few squares and eveyone is all radded up. The other fun i have with the car is mixing liquid dark matter while inside it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm guessing they'd want clown cars to be crushable but they're not because of their weird non-euclidian structure, though I'm sure one of the coders can confirm

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I really wish mechanic stuff had more distinction between friendly and unfriendly purposes. It's hard to set up useful or gimmicky devices because stepping onto a pressure plate or into a laser tripwire is about as smart as eating floorpills, and any idiot with a wrench can dismantle your whole setup. If a random passerby sees an incomprehensible contraption of pressure plates and teleporters at the entrance to Medbay, they tend to assume it's some kind of elaborate and poorly hidden deathtrap.

I dunno, most of the time if someone sets up a teleporter system around the station and adds some labels or something most people are happy to use it once it's generally determined they won't toss you into the combustion chamber or anything, and if you make a weird gimmicky thing people will usually play along if you explain it's harmless.

On the other hand, I'm dismantling anything I see which involves graviton launchers in any capacity whatsoever on sight because gently caress that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Teleporters are really good if someone else tests them first. Instant warps between medbay and the AI corner on Cog2 are especially nice.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Once, someone put a button in a hallway with a teleporter that said "touch this to kill yourself" and I passed by it and thought, "What does this button do?"

I pressed it and got trapped in a graviton launcher loop that killed me. I mean it didn't lie I guess.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My favorite execution method is still the classic big stack of extinguishers launched all at once

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Malpais Legate posted:

Once, someone put a button in a hallway with a teleporter that said "touch this to kill yourself" and I passed by it and thought, "What does this button do?"

I pressed it and got trapped in a graviton launcher loop that killed me. I mean it didn't lie I guess.

Making a deathtrap and explicitly labelling it as such is always a surefire way to kill half the crew.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Good rule of thumb for nefarious shenanigans is that if you don't give a poo poo, neither does the crew. Try to stealthily isolate and take down crew members and dispose of the bodies? Sec and vigilantes hunting you down. Kill a dude in an open hallway while *wave-ing at passersby? Most resistance you get is usually a polite wave back.

Same concept applies to deathtraps.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Inadequately posted:

I dunno, most of the time if someone sets up a teleporter system around the station and adds some labels or something most people are happy to use it once it's generally determined they won't toss you into the combustion chamber or anything, and if you make a weird gimmicky thing people will usually play along if you explain it's harmless.

On the other hand, I'm dismantling anything I see which involves graviton launchers in any capacity whatsoever on sight because gently caress that.

what about "helpfully" using teleporters to evict anyone who attempts to enter Medbay without paying the entry fee?

or setting up a graviton launcher in the main halls timed to "helpfully" hurl away anything people happen to drag down them?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Conot posted:

My biggest memory as a non-traitor mechanic was setting up a teleporter trap that teleported people into a room I made where they could pay a ransom to activate another teleporter to escape. Just a dumb bit of mischief that they could easily get out of.

it was a wizard round and a golem got in and they died

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Haven't played in forever but when I did it was as janitor, and the floor in front of those teleporters just gets so dirty they need washing all the time and someone stole my wet floor sign so...

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

frodnonnag posted:

it makes clown cars, when they spawn, really loving hard to permanently get rid of. people will belt hell them and forget or try to sell to qm, neither of which do anything.

The other big issue with clowncars is picking up a mutant with the irradiated gene. It'll promptly rad up everyone in the car to lethal levels. I think its based on per step exposure and therefore you move a few squares and eveyone is all radded up. The other fun i have with the car is mixing liquid dark matter while inside it.

what usually happens is a non-traitor (eg myself) gets hold of a clown outfit from somewhere and starts driving around until they get stuck in a bombed-out room

also bibles are always fun to bring into the clown car

Scaramouche posted:

I'm guessing they'd want clown cars to be crushable but they're not because of their weird non-euclidian structure, though I'm sure one of the coders can confirm

players who have eaten other people via the deep-fryer then gone into the crusher will eject their occupants unharmed, much like a chainsaw or c-saber suicide.

I can only assume something similar happened to clown cars.

that or everyone gets orphaned in there in some clownspace accident

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.
well, I've played again after some months... I'm a noob at this but what the heck. so I was that botanic guy and learned how to grow space weed just minding my own business (some bee keeper came along and asked if he could have some of the weed-growing-machines) until a nuclear alarm goes off... so I hurry to the tunnels, at least this was what I thought but went straight outer space instead. now I'm dead, so that worked out pretty well. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Colonial Marines has it's funny moments.

quote:

I'm incredible sorry for accusing you of having a drug addiction. You also don't have a thin skin, are not a nazi party member and have not at any point done hyperzine off of the dead body of an executed marine. I take all those back. I'm sincerely sorry
Sincerely Corpsman Navarre