Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Harton posted:

Yeah whoever is in charge of the tits is doing an A+ job.

I mean honestly they're working at a B+ level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

At least as the show has gotten worse the tits have gotten better. It's the little things in life really.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well t-minus one week.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I stopped watching during series 5, I look forward to seeing the Sandsnakes die though!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Still have 3 spots in the league.

http://fantasora.com/league/723/join?passcode=whitewalkerswin

Pass is whitewalkerswin

Draft is tomorrow night 6pm EST.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

clegane bowl when

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lol Jon's dumb brother didn't even think to run in a not-straight line. He deserved to die.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I watch the show just to get resolution on an unfinished story.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I just read the threads and watch the highlights on youtube to find out what happens.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I watch the show just to get resolution on an unfinished story.

Still gotta wait another year and a half for that. This year we just get an Ice Dragon.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Still gotta wait another year and a half for that. This year we just get an Ice Dragon.

Is that the leading theory now?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, I started reading the books in the late 00's and there are others who were fans from the start. Patience is a virtue, even for GRRM poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zotix posted:

Is that the leading theory now?

The spoilers are just stupid enough to undoubtably be true. Just like the last 2 years of leaks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Galvanik posted:

I just read the threads and watch the highlights on youtube to find out what happens.

:same:

but then I buy the blu rays because I hate money

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Soul Glo posted:

:same:

but then I buy the blu rays because I hate money

Subscription service is the leasing of content, 420 buy bluray everyday

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It literally makes me question my sanity that I can come here and everyone hates this poo poo show (and everything else in TVIV) but anywhere else or in real life it's still loving Citizen Kane

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

It literally makes me question my sanity that I can come here and everyone hates this poo poo show (and everything else in TVIV) but anywhere else or in real life it's still loving Citizen Kane

People are easily blown away by spectacle. Also, a lot of people just watch it for tits and violence, literally not caring about the "talky parts."

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

WampaLord posted:

People are easily blown away by spectacle. Also, a lot of people just watch it for tits and violence, literally not caring about the "talky parts."

Also, the "talky parts" are much better than 98% of people in this thread care to admit.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Super Deuce posted:

Also, the "talky parts" are much better than 98% of people in this thread care to admit.

Something can be better than most of what's on TV without being truly good.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Super Deuce posted:

Not really - sure it's not The Walking Dead level of simplicity, but the 98% you are referring to hold the show to the higher standard that the first three seasons achieved, with a few exceptions (Quarth being the original sin of the TV show).

It's very obvious that they started to dumb the show down at some point because they realized that they could reach a greater audience if they did so.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

(Quarth being the original sin of the TV show).

Qarth. :eng101:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Harton posted:

At least as the show has gotten worse the tits have gotten better. It's the little things in life really.

But Ros died in season 3?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

http://fantasora.com/league/723/join?passcode=whitewalkerswin
One more spot. Draft is in just under 6h.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Jon poops on the floor

Crowd goes wild

RIP string belwas

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

It's very obvious that they started to dumb the show down at some point because they realized that they could reach a greater audience if they did so.

Also the source material wasn't complete and the guy writing it was doing everything he could to not write the books, which lead to the trainwreck of season 5.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I set up a Queue in case I can't get there in time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I took the last spot! This looks fun.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If by "talky parts" you mean the dialogues, they are still good, on occasion, but there's a very noticeable drop in quality from what we had before (remember, for example, that excellent scene with king Robert and Cersei talking about their marriage, which wanst on the source material and had very good dialog)

But if you mean overall writing, its been very bad for 2 seasons at least, and not better than "98% of what's in TV" at all

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

I set up a Queue in case I can't get there in time.

I also did this.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
In terms of the dialogue and plot of show only "talky" content, I feel like it's been one third good, one third competent, one third terrible. It's definitely worse than older seasons but not by that much IMO. I expect the last two seasons to be better cause of the increased production time meaning they won't have rush jobs like Dorne and they can maybe edit a script.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Also the source material wasn't complete and the guy writing it was doing everything he could to not write the books, which lead to the trainwreck of season 5.

Well, for seasons 5-6 they could have relied on ADWD & AFFC, which would have been enough content for 3-6 season, at which point GRRM might... well might have died and someone else got to finish the story.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Tyrions bit in the last season were dire. It was like they knew he was wasted just pulling on his tiny dick following Daenerys round so they wrote a few "bits" to keep him interested but they just came across as hollow and stupid.

Its amazing that i can hardly be bothered to watch this upcoming season considering i used to be PUMPED for the first few.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hitchensgoespop posted:

Tyrions bit in the last season were dire. It was like they knew he was wasted just pulling on his tiny dick following Daenerys round so they wrote a few "bits" to keep him interested but they just came across as hollow and stupid.

Its amazing that i can hardly be bothered to watch this upcoming season considering i used to be PUMPED for the first few.

Yea, like when he tries to do his whole diplomacy thing with the Masters but then it devolves into "Let's have them get killed in a badass way, cause that's cool!" And the dumb drinking game scene.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Being anywhere near Danny ruins even the best characters, so I assume when she gets to Westeros every remaining character is going to suck.

re: talky bits. The big problem I have with these, even more so than the writing, is that they've killed off so many good characters(or at least characters played by good actors) that the few remaining ones don't get to interact very often. Like Arya dealing with Tywin and the Hound were some of the best parts of the show, but her palling around with some schmuck assassin is just boring. Bronn and Tyrion were great together, Bronn and Bad Pussy not so much.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, for seasons 5-6 they could have relied on ADWD & AFFC, which would have been enough content for 3-6 season, at which point GRRM might... well might have died and someone else got to finish the story.

That's operating under the false premise that ADWD and AFFC had any content.

Aside from the contents of Dany'sKelly C's bowels.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 10, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Just lol if you think 6 seasons of those books could ever be compelling in any way. Not that much really happens in them, there is tons of filler and plot lines that go nowhere.

At the end of it we still wouldn't have winds. Im fine with the direction they took, ups and downs and all.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

hitchensgoespop posted:

Other than freeing the dragons, I can't remember a single thing Tyrion did last season. Wasn't every other scene just him sitting in silence with Grey Worm and Missandei, or did it just feel like that?

Peter Dinklage hasn't had anything to do since the end of Season 4. Regardless of the narrative issues at work when Tyrion killed Tywin (Tysha), at least Dinklage got to act.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Aside from the freeing the dragons it was just Tyrion talking about drinking and how people just have interesting conversations and then other meetings in rooms with people while drinking. It wasn't particularly interesting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
6 seasons of AFFC/ADWD would've been excruciating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lycus posted:

6 seasons of AFFC/ADWD would've been excruciating.

We could have a season for each Tyrion boat trip

• Locked thread