Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PaintVagrant posted:

Its better, but applecar play kind of sucks, mostly because apple maps is the loving worst.

Car's 2 years old. I need to drive more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This owns. I wish I could change out the red stripe but it's inside the lens assembly.

This lets everyone know you have the LP!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

owns

what color is it close to if you could approximate it to another vehicle color?

I was shooting for the nitrous blue from the RS, so I think it comes pretty close to that without the metal flakes.

veedubfreak posted:

Just curious how much a full wrap cost ya. I thought about doing that to mine when I got it but I didn't wanna spend the 2500+ most places out here wanted.

Yeah it actually ended up being $4k for a wrap, PPF on the front bumper and hood, and some ceramic pro coating. Also decided to go with the best installer in the area that has cars shipped across the country to them.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This owns. I wish I could change out the red stripe but it's inside the lens assembly.

I really thought that the red would clash but it really doesn't look that bad.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Isn't the nitrous blue without the flake just that blue that they used on mustangs a few years back?

E: Grabber Blue

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

Isn't the nitrous blue without the flake just that blue that they used on mustangs a few years back?

E: Grabber Blue

Yes, it's practically identical other than the metal flake.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Etrips posted:

I was shooting for the nitrous blue from the RS, so I think it comes pretty close to that without the metal flakes.

Yeah it actually ended up being $4k for a wrap, PPF on the front bumper and hood, and some ceramic pro coating. Also decided to go with the best installer in the area that has cars shipped across the country to them.

I really thought that the red would clash but it really doesn't look that bad.

I see so many goddamned blue Foresters here (though at least only one other XT regularly) that I'd considered looking into wrapping it a non-factory color, but I'm not sure I care four thousand dollars. Your car, though, looks magnificent.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This is always a sign things are going well

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

This is always a sign things are going well

I guess I shouldn't be doing any more messing around with cars until I get a set of 90 degree crescent wrench adapters for my ratchets

Is that what I'm looking at here?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess I shouldn't be doing any more messing around with cars until I get a set of 90 degree crescent wrench adapters for my ratchets

Is that what I'm looking at here?

no, almost nobody ever, ever, ever needs a crows foot

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The answer lies to the southeast of the crows foot :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The coolant line install was what made me break out the crows feet.

Got everything buttoned up, fluids in, tune loaded. Started it, have a pretty loud exhaust leak. Chased the dragon for a while and can't find it. I reused the manifold gaskets (wasn't planning on removing it and no dealer was open) and now I have regrets.

It's either the manifold or the Vband making a pretty nice put put. The good news is idling and some small braps and not a hint of a fluid leak.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So i found a few flaws on my GTI since I bought it last saturday on the 1st and noticed a few things:

1 small crack in paint on roof that appears to have a bit of surface rust showing, about the size of a nickle
1 scuff on face of right rear wheel, about the size of a nickle
a few light scratches on the black passenger side mirror

I dont think any of this stuff happened while i've owned it, i noticed the scuff on the wheel right after i got home on saturday (drove it less than 25 miles), mirror scratches found last sunday, the roof spot was noticed on wednesday morning before i went to work.

i think i should bring this up with the dealership but i've never really been in this situation before

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Definitely bring it up. I doubt they'll give you much pushback.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

1 small crack in paint on roof that appears to have a bit of surface rust showing, about the size of a nickle

There shouldn't be any rust. I had a scratch down to the metal on my TDI that never showed any signs of rust for 5 years of DD use and never getting washed even through winter. VW does a pretty decent job of galvanizing or whatever.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Just turned over 80k miles on my '14 FiST. I wasn't planning on keeping this til it dies because some of the unicorn parts that might need replacing down the road, but gently caress it. I own it and I don't want another new car payment anytime soon. I also don't have to worry about how a previous owner treated a used car.

I kept on top of maintenance on this and I imagine it has a lot more life in it. And as it's been mentioned, with how bad depreciation is on these I think it's worth more to keep than try to sale

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

So i found a few flaws on my GTI since I bought it last saturday on the 1st and noticed a few things:

1 scuff on face of right rear wheel, about the size of a nickle
a few light scratches on the black passenger side mirror

I dont think any of this stuff happened while i've owned it, i noticed the scuff on the wheel right after i got home on saturday (drove it less than 25 miles), mirror scratches found last sunday, the roof spot was noticed on wednesday morning before i went to work.

i think i should bring this up with the dealership but i've never really been in this situation before

Clear bra your car, they chip insanely easy.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

RS owners PM me. Have some info that was asked not to be shared publicly.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

Clear bra your car, they chip insanely easy.

Yep, I got a rock chip within 100 miles of buying the car. Of course I got it on the way to dropping the car off to be clear bra'd. Now it's permanently entombed under the bra.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Yep, I got a rock chip within 100 miles of buying the car. Of course I got it on the way to dropping the car off to be clear bra'd. Now it's permanently entombed under the bra.

When I sold my GTI one of the people that came to see the car noticed that the entire right side of the car was covered with micro chips. I'd never noticed, but he was right. I have no idea what happened.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

When I sold my GTI one of the people that came to see the car noticed that the entire right side of the car was covered with micro chips. I'd never noticed, but he was right. I have no idea what happened.

Heh, microchips. I instantly thought computer chips.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BlackMK4 posted:

Might have been parked close to where someone was using a big lawnmower or leafblower - happened to an old Integra of mine

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Can also happen if you spend a lot of time driving in the same lane. Out here the amount of jagoffs in dumptrucks and rock haulers than just let poo poo fly off of their truck is insane. Have to stay way back then wait for an opportunity to get around them as fast as possible.

Got a big rear end rock chip on my passenger side skirt. Can't tell if its from a shopping cart or a rock honestly, at least its on the side I don't see much.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Arizona is terrible for that, I go through a windshield a year.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I've been lucky. I've only had to replace 1 windshield in the past 20 or so years. But then again I haven't kept a car for more 4 years in a long time. I got a quarter sized star right in the middle of the driver's side windshield 2 weeks after buying my GLI. It never spread, so I just had to deal with it until I finally got the windshield replaced because it was so sandblasted that you could barely see at night.

Had a giant rock nearly miss on the R, it hit the roof and left a nice scar instead.

I had opti-coat glass done on the car too, so I'm not sure how much that helps.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Took the fist for its maiden big turbo voyage. All that PB blaster cooking off smells gross. It's on the no wastegate shakedown tune, so it's slow af until I send some logs to the tuner.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I got a clear bra put on my Civic when I got it in 2008. A few years ago the hood piece started peeling up about a half centimeter along the trailing edge and a whole bunch of dust/dirt got embedded underneath. Anyone else had that happen?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

WescottF1 posted:

I got a clear bra put on my Civic when I got it in 2008. A few years ago the hood piece started peeling up about a half centimeter along the trailing edge and a whole bunch of dust/dirt got embedded underneath. Anyone else had that happen?

Not personally, though I've seen it happen.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any film application has a lifespan. Running on 9 years is a pretty good run.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Alot of it is going to depend on where the car is parked. If you park in the sun every day it's not going to hold up as long as someone that has covered parking. I actually had my bra done, then had the opti-coat pro done over it, so it should last longer. Also the older films aren't nearly as good as the newer stuff. The old 3m stuff got brittle and yellow as it aged.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The film on my 08 MS3 still looked good when I sold it last year except if you looked at it through polarised sunglasses.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

veedubfreak posted:

Alot of it is going to depend on where the car is parked. If you park in the sun every day it's not going to hold up as long as someone that has covered parking. I actually had my bra done, then had the opti-coat pro done over it, so it should last longer. Also the older films aren't nearly as good as the newer stuff. The old 3m stuff got brittle and yellow as it aged.

I'm pretty sure mine was the 3M.

Just about 400 miles on the odo. I hate break-in periods...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just sent my MRX shakedown logs off to the tuner. I put the log into vdyno and it says I am making 181whp and 182 lb/ft of torque on the shakedown tune, which uses just the stock wastegate spring psi, which maxes at around 12 psi.

So at 12 psi, I am making power about comparable to a stock car. Curious to see what it makes at 25psi and a tune with some actually aggressive timing :getin:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hit 25 psi on the way home from work. Blew off a charge pipe, went into limp mode. poo poo my pants because I thought I broke something :stonklol:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all. Do '15+ FiSTs have usb input for audio? Having a flash drive with my albums on it is a QOL upgrade I'll struggle doing without.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

Hit 25 psi on the way home from work. Blew off a charge pipe, went into limp mode. poo poo my pants because I thought I broke something :stonklol:

That must be terrifying after doing the work yourself. Let us know how that tune goes after revisions. You going through mountune for everything?

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Eifert Posting posted:

Hey y'all. Do '15+ FiSTs have usb input for audio? Having a flash drive with my albums on it is a QOL upgrade I'll struggle doing without.

My 14 focus (se) has it. The USB port is inside the center console too, so it's out of the way and semi-protected to just leave plugged in all the time

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I bought a 128GB thumb drive a couple years ago during Best Buy's Black Friday sale not that I needed it, but because at the time it was only $27 which was a steal. Never really knew what I'd use it for. Now that i've got a car with a USB input to the stereo... game on!

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Depending on the interface of your head unit, searching artists or albums sucks when you put too much of your collection on there. If you just do random shuffle all the time its way less of an issue.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Highest Cactus posted:

Depending on the interface of your head unit, searching artists or albums sucks when you put too much of your collection on there. If you just do random shuffle all the time its way less of an issue.

Pro tip - you can group edit the tags that your car uses to sort artists by selecting batches of files, right clicking and hitting properties and editing the description tags so that they sort into (relatively) fewer groups of artists or whatever categorization works for you.

Want another pro choice? Buy one of those compact USB drives that barely sticks out of the port, one that's shaped like the hub for a Logitech wireless mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Or you could just use your phone like a normal person