Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ufarn posted:

Anyone know if you can change the default handler for the rules in LS4? Remember forever is a bit too much for me, and I'll probably just end up doing it to dismiss something by accident.

If you go into the settings, you can enable an option that lets you mark rules from the popup as unaudited or unapproved or something like that. Then you can go through your rules and look for the ones with the unapproved dot and decide if they're worth keeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Proteus Jones posted:

Use SMB instead. I've never gotten AFP to work reliably on Network shares.

I have a Linux based NAS (MyCloud EX 2) with SMB and have been using TM for well over year with very little issue. At least from a Network perspective. The other issue described yesterday with TM eating itself and needing to start a whole new backup image from scratch is inescapable regardless of the target drive/share.

Did you need to run this?

code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Did you need to run this?

code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

I don't. I literally have a switch on the NAS that makes TM see the share folder. (the "configure" is just the folder to use and quota for Time Machine use)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Huh. And it's really presenting the share over SMB? Interesting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Huh. And it's really presenting the share over SMB? Interesting.

I take everything back. You made me curious and I checked the mount. It is using AFP. I didn't realize that flipping the switch for Time Machine forces AFP (although if I had actually clicked on the info bubble it would have told me exactly that).

Sorry for the confusion.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Proteus Jones posted:

I take everything back. You made me curious and I checked the mount. It is using AFP. I didn't realize that flipping the switch for Time Machine forces AFP (although if I had actually clicked on the info bubble it would have told me exactly that).

Sorry for the confusion.

Idk though, that Apple link you posted sure does say Time Machine should work on SMB. It would make sense for Apple to have put some work into that as they've been slowly phasing out AFP in favor of SMB.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Idk though, that Apple link you posted sure does say Time Machine should work on SMB. It would make sense for Apple to have put some work into that as they've been slowly phasing out AFP in favor of SMB.

Oh no, I'm reasonably certain SMB TM works, given that KB article.

I meant I was clawing everything back that I had said about "I SWEAR I'm using SMB" when it turns out I wasn't. Unfortunately, I can't test it on my system since the NAS automatically enables AFP when you turn on TM support.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I am now the proud owner of a pre-loved 2012 Mac mini - I've pretty much got it set up how I like it at this point, but in the next few days I want to replace the dog-slow HDD with the SSD in my laptop. Would I be able to clone the HDD in the mini to a .dmg file, convert it to .iso and then, using a windows install on my laptop's other hard drive, just image the SSD with it? This is my first Mac so I have no idea whether I'd lose anything in translation or not. I've set up Time Machine and I assume it lets you restore from a backup, but I'd rather not have to create a recovery disk (presumably) and have to wait hours for the kinda slow and ropey protocol to spew data over my slow and ropey network.

Also, is there any way to turn off this scroll wheel acceleration so my mouse actually scrolls consistently? I keep either inching through webpages or dramatically overshooting and it's maddening?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 7, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I transfered a domain name and it's been 24hrs since. Going to the website in Chrome and Safari iOS displays the new site. However, no matter how many times I empty the cache in the develop menu Safari on my mbp still points to the old site.

It's driving me crazy! Any ideas?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kill mDNSResponder or just restart the MBP

(edit: assuming your iOS devices and MBP are on the same network)

Pivo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 7, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Tried that to no avail. Checked my PC and it's still showing the old page too. Took my phone off the network and the domain is still pointing to the old page through my data carrier. I'm guessing the DNS still needs another day or two to propagate.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm. Figured it was the device aggressively caching, but I guess it's your provider.

Never seen a propagation take that long, but who knows! Good luck.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think you were right. I cleared the cache on my iOS devices and everything is correct. Cleared the cache again in Chrome on two devices and it's correct.

Still don't know why Safari is messing up. Cleared cache, rebooted....is there something else I can do?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So it's literally just Safari on the same device as Chrome that's bringing up the old page, and you have cleared the browser cache, and rebooted to clear the DNS cache?

No idea. That's bizarre.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Are either using a different DNS server for some reason, maybe from a proxy or VPN? Does Chrome maybe use Google's DNS servers as a hardcoded setting?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Cleared the cache and rebooted mbp the third time and it finally worked. My PC using Chrome and MS Edge (:lol:) still display the old site even though I emptied cache and rebooted twice so I don't know :wtf: :confused:

Housh fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 7, 2017

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

I am now the proud owner of a pre-loved 2012 Mac mini - I've pretty much got it set up how I like it at this point, but in the next few days I want to replace the dog-slow HDD with the SSD in my laptop. Would I be able to clone the HDD in the mini to a .dmg file, convert it to .iso and then, using a windows install on my laptop's other hard drive, just image the SSD with it? This is my first Mac so I have no idea whether I'd lose anything in translation or not. I've set up Time Machine and I assume it lets you restore from a backup, but I'd rather not have to create a recovery disk (presumably) and have to wait hours for the kinda slow and ropey protocol to spew data over my slow and ropey network.

Also, is there any way to turn off this scroll wheel acceleration so my mouse actually scrolls consistently? I keep either inching through webpages or dramatically overshooting and it's maddening?

Throw the SSD into an external, clone the HDD to the SSD with something like SuperDuper, swap drives. Done.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Housh posted:

Cleared the cache and rebooted mbp the third time and it finally worked. My PC using Chrome and MS Edge (:lol:) still display the old site even though I emptied cache and rebooted twice so I don't know :wtf: :confused:

I love using a tool called dnsyo for checking propagation of DNS stuff like this. It's not packaged as an app or website though.

https://github.com/YoSmudge/dnsyo

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The one thing I haven't found a good enough replacement for is Notepad++. Sublime Text is close though.

I really like Visual Studio Code

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
SublimeText is still the absolute best (GUI) text editor, but nowadays it's tough to justify the price tag against the free VS Code. Atom is trash though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have a spare 1TB external drive that I want to use as a Time Machine backup drive for my 2011 MBA. I'm running 10.12. I formatted the drive for Time Machine like it asked when I set it up. My MBA's hard drive is on the Exclude These Items From Backup list and grayed out so I can't remove it. I had it backing up to another hard drive for a while a few years ago but it died so I stopped. Is it still tied to that hard drive for some reason? How can I reset it?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I'm still on the TextMate bandwagon. I just can't bring myself to use an editor that kills my battery because it's built on top of Chrome.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Axiem posted:

I'm still on the TextMate bandwagon. I just can't bring myself to use an editor that kills my battery because it's built on top of Chrome.

Oh man TextMate, that's something I haven't used in years.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

[quote="“Luigi Thirty”" post="“474148764”"]
I have a spare 1TB external drive that I want to use as a Time Machine backup drive for my 2011 MBA. I’m running 10.12. I formatted the drive for Time Machine like it asked when I set it up. My MBA’s hard drive is on the Exclude These Items From Backup list and grayed out so I can’t remove it. I had it backing up to another hard drive for a while a few years ago but it died so I stopped. Is it still tied to that hard drive for some reason? How can I reset it?
[/quote]

You should be able to use multiple hard drives with TM, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

smax posted:

Throw the SSD into an external, clone the HDD to the SSD with something like SuperDuper, swap drives. Done.

Don't have any external hard drive enclosures unfortunately and don't really want to buy something I'll use once.

e: this looks like what I need http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm - if I don't post in this thread again please assume my computer destroyed and identity stolen

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 8, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Generic Monk posted:

Don't have any external hard drive enclosures unfortunately and don't really want to buy something I'll use once.

Could you borrow one from somebody? They are like $5 if you buy one - and then just put your old HD in it and use it as an external or time machine backup

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Let me get this right. High Sierra supports booting from case sensitive APFS? :monocle:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

e: this looks like what I need http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm - if I don't post in this thread again please assume my computer destroyed and identity stolen

TBH why are you cloning it at all? You just got the computer, there's probably nothing on it but the previous owner's stuff, you could just install the SSD and start over from scratch. That's what I'd prefer to do anyways to avoid potential leftover malware or other jank.

Your procedure for starting over could look like:

1. wipe the SSD while it's still in your windows machine - ATA secure erase if you've got a utility that'll do that, otherwise make sure the partition table is wiped since I don't think you want anything present

2. install SSD in mini

3. boot mini, follow instructions

Some time later (how long depends on your internet connection) your mini will boot an OS that is exactly the same one that was originally on it when the original owner took it out of its original box. You will then need to update the OS to current.

Another procedure for starting over which probably reduces total download time:

1. go to Mac App Store, download latest macOS

2. instead of letting the installer run when it's done downloading, grab an 8GB or larger thumbdrive and follow this guide to make a bootable installer:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-1786853248

3. install blank SSD in mini, boot installer, let it guide you (the instructions might not cover using Disk Utility to format the drive, but if so you'll do that from one of the menus in the installer, and you'll want it to be a GPT partition table and HFS+ filesystem)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a reason there's no internet recovery option to install the latest version of macOS? I had to go through the same thing when I got my 2012 Mini the other week. Process is way longer than it should be and doing a clean install into the latest OS just feels nicer than going through incremental upgrades

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a reason there's no internet recovery option to install the latest version of macOS? I had to go through the same thing when I got my 2012 Mini the other week. Process is way longer than it should be and doing a clean install into the latest OS just feels nicer than going through incremental upgrades

I would guess it boils down to :effort: on Apple's part. They can't just blindly send you the latest OS because there are cases where the latest will fail to boot; new Mac models frequently ship with a unique-to-that-model version of macOS which has new drivers not yet available in the mainstream release (ie what you'd get if you downloaded from the App Store). The easiest way I can see for them to design internet recovery to work with a high degree of reliability is to stock its servers with those special new-model OS releases and select which one gets sent by which computer model is making the request.

Keep in mind that if they did do something like offer newer OS images through recovery, that might imply they'd need to re-test recovery on all supported old computers every time they decided to update the image. So yeah, :effort:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

empty baggie posted:

You should be able to use multiple hard drives with TM, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

Hmm. I don't know, then. I updated to the 10.13 beta and no change, other than my hard drive being APFS now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wonder if Time Capsules will ever get a firmware update to use APFS, considering how beneficial it seems in that role. Based on the current state of Apple's networking products and the rumors of most of the team being reassigned I'm not holding my breath.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wonder if Time Capsules will ever get a firmware update to use APFS, considering how beneficial it seems in that role. Based on the current state of Apple's networking products and the rumors of most of the team being reassigned I'm not holding my breath.

Would it matter for the native fs on network available disks? TM backups over the network should be a sparse-bundle disk image which will be using APFS inside itself.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get nearest neighbor scaling working like this on macOS?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/844905/geforce-drivers/-feature-request-nonblurry-upscaling-at-integer-ratios/post/5180305/#5180305

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is anyone else getting a problem where TeamViewer leaves the Mac in the switch user state after disconnecting their phone? It's super annoying. Latest version for both phone and Mac, and I've toggled the option back and forth that does this on the iPhone and it doesn't fix it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is anyone else getting a problem where TeamViewer leaves the Mac in the switch user state after disconnecting their phone? It's super annoying. Latest version for both phone and Mac, and I've toggled the option back and forth that does this on the iPhone and it doesn't fix it.

It's not just iPhone. My work iMac always locks when I disconnect a connection I made to it from my MBP even though I set lock on disconnect to off. This doesn't happen to all macs I use either, because let's say if I control my MBP from my work iMac, it honors the lock on disconnect preference. If I connect to my work iMac from a Windows teamviewer client it also properly honors the setting and doesn't lock my iMac. It has something to do with how teamviewer is configured but I have not figured out what the difference is between it running on my MBP and on my iMac. Same versions of TV, both on the latest Sierra.

The latest teamviewer build also has a lovely bug where it'll think you're on VOIP even if you're not using a VOIP connection and duck all your background audio. They still haven't fixed it. It was driving me crazy until I downgraded it to the previous build.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I was just gonna ask about this. It’s a minor annoyance but still bugs me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kind of glad it's not just me suffering at least!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Well, this is odd. I continued to have the problem using AFP, so I installed SMB, created a new differently-named share, & connected to it, expecting to see it in TM prefs.

It didn't show up, but now the AFP share works.

Spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It just works!*