Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

I'd make it each opponent if it is intended for Commander. Plays better with the political aspects than random.

It could definitely stand to be stronger and that would make it so but I don't know if hurting everyone is more political than random damage. You get to pass the blame to chance with random damage while hurting everyone just makes people annoyed. It works for Vial-Smasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ZeroCount posted:

Sort of inspired by Vial-Smasher, he goes off at the end of turn so he penalises you for actually playing any of your cards. On the other hand blue/red both like to play in other people's turns so if that's your gameplan than you're golden. (Whether such a deck would actually want a 5-drop that does this is a different matter). They're both strong card draw colours as well. Izzet Librarian was most likely first printed in a Commander precon.

This is templated so poorly I don't know whose hand sized matters.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

This is templated so poorly I don't know whose hand sized matters.

This is a very good point. Fixed that up.

I nearly changed him to hurt all opponents just to be stronger but then I thought just in case someone ends up with a 30 card hand or so, I'd prefer if Librarian knocked people off one at a time instead of just ending the game immediately.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Oh nice, I really like how it evokes the classic serpent drawback without actually just copying it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
okay one more

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Part of a 3 step plan.
Step 1: Play/get rid of your cards.
Step 2: Play this guy.
Step 3: Draw more cards!
How you do steps 1 and 3 is up to you.

The reward can be big with good planning, but failing that he's only slightly off-curve the turn you play him. The reminder text is there to say "don't count this card for the mana cost!!", ex. if this is your only card in hand he costs just UR to cast.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

The worst submarine posted:

Part of a 3 step plan.
Step 1: Play/get rid of your cards.
Step 2: Play this guy.
Step 3: Draw more cards!
How you do steps 1 and 3 is up to you.

The reward can be big with good planning, but failing that he's only slightly off-curve the turn you play him. The reminder text is there to say "don't count this card for the mana cost!!", ex. if this is your only card in hand he costs just UR to cast.

Fun with aether vial.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Catalogs for everyone

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I like cards where having a larger hand isn't strictly better or worse, just different.

I also made this:

Hand's eyes matter.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Hand's eyes matter.
lol

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hand's eyes matter.

:master:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Treyebal is my favourite mechanic.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Hand's eyes matter.

o poo poo, better answer this

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 12, 2017

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I don't get it? Is it a pun?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

o poo poo, better answer this

Should be a Plant instead of a Saproling, right?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Oh yeah, for some reason I kept looking for "Tree" in the editor and going wtf

updated

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The obvious name was already taken.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ungulateman posted:

Treyebal is my favourite mechanic.

More like treyeball

ZeroCount posted:

The obvious name was already taken.

Oh that's clever.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The following card is brought to you by fatuous self-reference.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Did somebody say..... HAND SIZE MATTERS?????

The templating is a disaster (un-cards, laffo) but the idea is that your opponent tries to cover as much relevant information with their hand and you have to guess what cards they're hiding. Whatever you figure out you draw, the rest stay exiled.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love this contest so much. :allears:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

would like this 1000x more if it returned to your hand when it ran out of counters, a la mana bloom

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

got lazy and reused art

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok time's up. I'll give the results in a few hours.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lots of good cards certainly.

Third place: PMush Perfect's Limitless Knowledge

So obvious I was sure it had already been done ; had to check Gatherer to convince me it hadn't. Which is a sign of good design I guess.

Second place: Lone Goat's Manual Transmission

Feels very silver border.

First place: Lottery of Babylon's Primordial Flux

A one-card puzzle. I like puzzles and tricks so it appeals to me.

Lottery of Babylon wins.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lottery of Babylon has now essentially won three contests in a row!

I think you're pretty good at this, LoB.

(Third place! :toot:)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I've been having quite a good run lately.

:siren: Keyword Combinations :siren:

The Time Spiral is back, and the NWO watchdogs are asleep at the switch. Design cards that combine two different block mechanics from different blocks in Magic's history.

To help give you ideas, you can find a list of keywords and ability words here, although non-keyworded mechanics like Esper's colored artifacts are fine too as long as they're recognizable. Since cool interactions are what make this fun, I'll probably like your entry best if the two keywords play off each other in some interesting way. For example, Ichor Slick is an interesting design because its Cycling ability can trigger its Madness ability.

Entries close Wednesday, 26 July at 10pm EST.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Three words and a number, but potentially a huge amount of card draw over time. The more clues you have, the more you can improvise, the more clues you get. How deep down does this conspiracy go? When are you going to start drawing cards off all this?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

If the thing it's enchanting dies, the Oakheart turns into a creature but whatever it was enchanting still gets to come back.

The problem with Epic is that it generally doesn't give you anything to do with your mana, unless the effect it creates naturally gives you a sink. Such as, for example, unmorphing Manifested cards.

You know how Infect has that "does not play well with others" issue? Exalted is very good at playing with others.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Welp, contest over. We're I'm not topping this one.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

You can have this turtle right away if you want but if you do he's gonna be tired and wander off. It'd be better to let him take his time in entering the field because then he is your friend forever. Other than that he's just a turtle with a big butt, uninspiring limited fodder and a surprise combo piece for a hit new Standard deck because of some dumb enchantment that moves time counters around to win the game or something.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

An alternative win condition for a very artifact-heavy blue deck. It does win on the spot with Omniscience, but to be honest resolving Omniscience in any format where it's relevant means you've already won.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

what I thought Aether Revolt was going to be about.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Another "gonna remake later when I'm not on a Mac" card. :effort:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Here's an updated version of one of my old designs combining Bloodrush and Scavenge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My promised remake.

And a fun Johnny card I thought of while sitting on a bus.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 25, 2017