Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I study the box in the store, imagine the movie, and then leave without purchasing it.

Ah yes, as a young child I enjoyed hundreds of classic films in this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Basebf555 posted:

Ah yes, as a young child I enjoyed hundreds of classic films in this way.

I really like the part in Casablanca where Ingrid Bergman turns into a dinosaur.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

This whole sorting this is out of hand.... I like the Tupperware one best.

So the sale begins tomorrow, right?

If I wanted to get one of these [along with Stalker] which one would you recommend?

Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Hopscotch
They Live By Night

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of the three I've only seen Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but I thought it was a lot of fun and enjoyed it a lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Of the three I've only seen Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but I thought it was a lot of fun and enjoyed it a lot.

Same.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Yea I'm leaning towards that one too. I should note that all 3 would be blind-buys.

This whole 'having responsibilities and less disposable income' thing is no fun at all, or else I'd just get them all like I used to.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

friendo55 posted:

This whole sorting this is out of hand.... I like the Tupperware one best.

So the sale begins tomorrow, right?

If I wanted to get one of these [along with Stalker] which one would you recommend?

Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Hopscotch
They Live By Night

Just watched They Live By Night yesterday and it's a great noir. Nothing is more fun in cinema than seeing a filmmaker's first film be amazing right out of the gate.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Women on the Verge is amazing buy it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Some of the deals are up. I informed this thread after getting Stalker.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How long will the sale run? I leave for a big trip the day after tomorrow and I'm torn between buying everything now or waiting until I get back late next week.

I'll probably get Tampopo, Good Morning, the Tati set, and pre-order Stalker for sure. What's the consensus on Cat People and Kuroneko?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How long will the sale run? I leave for a big trip the day after tomorrow and I'm torn between buying everything now or waiting until I get back late next week.

I'll probably get Tampopo, Good Morning, the Tati set, and pre-order Stalker for sure. What's the consensus on Cat People and Kuroneko?

If you want it buy it now--a lot of stuff can sell out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Cat People (1942) is one of the best films ever made. All the Lewton/Tourneur joints are loving aces.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Tati set is the single greatest release from Criterion.

Only the John Hughes set will top it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Only the John Hughes set will top it.

Man I love me some Breakfast Club but saying its better than Playtime is just hosed up

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Man I love me some Breakfast Club but saying its better than Playtime is just hosed up

Curly Sue is the Cours de Sour of Hughes' ovuere.

My job sent me for new training and the facility is near a B&N. :woop:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm having a hard time gauging what the demand is going to be for Stalker. I'm not worried, I preordered already, but I'm just curious because it's such an anticipated release among Criterion people but at the same time it's not like a Dr. Strangelove or Moonrise Kingdom where there's mainstream demand. Will there just be copies sitting on the shelf at B&N or will they have only ordered like 3 of them that will be snapped up by special orders before they ever hit the shelf?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Picked up:
Stalker
Solaris
Island of Lost Souls
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Hidden Fortress
Seventh Seal
Ghost World
Carnival of Souls

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
E: Eh nevermind, went with Stalker/Tampopo and They Live By Night.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 11, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SubG posted:

Cat People (1942) is one of the best films ever made. All the Lewton/Tourneur joints are loving aces.

Yep. I understand this is the Criterion thread but I'd strongly suggest just picking up this DVD with Cat People, The Curse of the Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie, and The Body Snatcher if you were considering a blind buy. It's cheaper than just picking up the Cat People Criterion, even on sale.

I imagine it looks terrific on blu-ray, though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't recommend people buy SD copies of things in 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Escobarbarian posted:

Four great, slightly fuzzy movies > one great, pristine movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

I do it when its the only thing available. Stuff like old John Wayne westerns and Hammer horror movies sometimes have DVD releases and that's it. Hammer is starting to go back through and re-release a lot of their sets on blu ray now, but it took years for that to happen and in the meantime I've had these DVDs that only cost me like $15 each(for multiple films).

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Egbert Souse posted:

Only the John Cassavetes set tops it.
Right.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Can't watch Blurays on my laptop, where I do the majority of my movie watching.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why isn't Umbrellas of Cherbourg on sale?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched They Live By Night yesterday and it's a great noir. Nothing is more fun in cinema than seeing a filmmaker's first film be amazing right out of the gate.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Women on the Verge is amazing buy it

I didn't realize Hopscotch doesn't come out until August, so that will wait until November's sale.

I can get these 2 now, and then pick up Stalker next week. Done and done!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone recommend Vengeance is Mine?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Can't... spend... money...

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Stalker
Tampopo
Ugetsu Monogatari

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Still seeing nerds complain about John Hughes being in the Collection like he's not one of the most important filmmakers of all time.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

GrandpaPants posted:

Why isn't Umbrellas of Cherbourg on sale?

A bunch of them don't seem to have updated. I'm still waiting on Young Girls of Rochefort and Mulholland Drive

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Four great, slightly fuzzy movies > one great, pristine movie

I do wish that When Horror Came to Shochiku box set was on blu ray, if it was I would've bought it by now.

I kept it light this time, just Stalker and Night of the Hunter. I've too many blu rays.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone recommend Vengeance is Mine?

yeah it's great, one of the best serial killer movies ever. a bit too brutal for me to see it as all that rewatchable though (although I have watched it twice).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I got Stalker, Blood Simple and Blow Out because I'm a little tight on money right now. Stalker and Blow Out are blind buys, I'm very excited for both.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Looks like the ones that weren't previously discounted have been updated, for anyone who was holding off.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I got Stalker, Blood Simple and Blow Out because I'm a little tight on money right now. Stalker and Blow Out are blind buys, I'm very excited for both.

I just rewatched Blow Out the other day, it rules.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just rewatched Blow Out the other day, it rules.

Yeah, you talking about it was what got me to get it. I'm always down for a John Travolta Actually Trying movie.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Blow Up
Multiple Maniacs
Stalker

I'd like more but I'm trying to better budget my entertainment funds.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
I only got Antonioni's Blow-Up for now due to a lack of money. Gonna get Stalker from Amazon UK because shipping it from there to the Netherlands is faster and costs about the same.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Unmature posted:

Still seeing nerds complain about John Hughes being in the Collection like he's not one of the most important filmmakers of all time.
"One of the most important" is really stretching it but I have no real problem with him being in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

"One of the most important" is really stretching it but I have no real problem with him being in there.

At the very least I think The Breakfast Club has enough cultural significance to deserve a Criterion. And it's corny as hell, but it's really not that bad a movie.