Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Solus posted:

I'm just saying, Rovert doing his usual vagueness shtick is super weird when it's about domestic violence and not wrestlescoops

The only person being vague here is you. What am I being vague about? I was replying to the quote from Paige's brother. MotU realised that.

You are trolling me in two separate threads here currently. Please stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

You shouldn't beat you spouse

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

It's not an unreasonable assumption to make, and goes to demonstrate how quick most people are to try and find alternative reasons for bruises rather than consider that actual physical abuse is happening (which is part of the reason people are able to get away with it).

Sure as domestic abuse is up there with the worst thing you can do and people would prefer ADR to be just be a rogue rather what he most likely is now given the events of this weekend. But still I hold my point knowing other female wrestlers who were victims of domestic violence. People need to be less dismissive of the typical signs of domestic abuse just because of what their profession is.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Jerusalem posted:

It's not an unreasonable assumption to make, and goes to demonstrate how quick most people are to try and find alternative reasons for bruises rather than consider that actual physical abuse is happening (which is part of the reason people are able to get away with it).

People don't tend to want to admit that someone they are friends with / are close with is an abuser/murderer/thief etc because their initial reaction is to think that it would reflect badly on them as a person too. It's a saving face thing in my experience.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

rovert posted:

Nope. What's the scoop here anyway? Previously in this thread I did say the relationship has all the signs of domestic abuse but should be obvious to most. I posted the bruises to her body and her cutting out her closest friends. Various people reported various incidents over the past two years.

Yeah, everyone knew that. What was the point of going "I told you so"

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
What I remember is del Rio got stabbed and Rovert pointed out Paige had bruises on her arms after the stabbing. And since there wasn't a police report, we can kind of infer what happenee and how long this goes back with the info we do have now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm hesitant to believe the Maddox stuff only because it all seems reactionary to the leaks and who knows how much of that narrative was created by del rio or by Paige in fear of Del Rio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

People need to be less dismissive of the typical signs of domestic abuse just because of what their profession is.

Solus posted:

People don't tend to want to admit that someone they are friends with / are close with is an abuser/murderer/thief etc because their initial reaction is to think that it would reflect badly on them as a person too. It's a saving face thing in my experience.

:agreed:

It's a far more dramatic situation to be sure, but the recent 10th anniversary thread on the Benoit murders/suicide brought up a lot of similar mental gymnastics stuff that people (including myself) were going through to try and give Benoit some kind of "out" so we wouldn't have to face up to what he did.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

:agreed:

It's a far more dramatic situation to be sure, but the recent 10th anniversary thread on the Benoit murders/suicide brought up a lot of similar mental gymnastics stuff that people (including myself) were going through to try and give Benoit some kind of "out" so we wouldn't have to face up to what he did.

Cognitive dissonance is a helluva thing

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Wasn't ADR getting booked on Paige's families shows (and they worked in Mexico not that long ago with him)? And now they talk like they've known he's a piece of poo poo for a long time? Weird.

To be clear, I'm saying that her family seems weird and scummy (no surprise) not that I think ADR isn't doing it.

Also, I think it's really loving weird to assume someone is being abused if they have some bruises on them and then act like someone is silently supporting abuse if they don't assume that. I don't think anyone here was thinking "wow, I just love ADR so much I'm going to refuse to face the possibility" given that there have been about 5000 posts about what a stupid rear end in a top hat he is in this very thread.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At least in my opinion, the bookings always felt more like favors to Paige. Regardless of how the relationship was doing at the time of an event, the event was always a chance for Paige to both support her family by being there for one of their shows, and attend one of his matches (a thing she hasn't really gotten to do much post-WWE, at least in TNA/GFW, where the only time I really recall her being mentioned as being backstage or ringside was Slammiversary)

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I am curious, if the brother's statement is actually indicative of the family's feelings, as to what made them do an about face, as before they were taking a similar stance of all of this is just crazy talk. I would assume just more suggestive evidence of abuse and further limiting of contact.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Also, I think it's really loving weird to assume someone is being abused if they have some bruises on them and then act like someone is silently supporting abuse if they don't assume that. I don't think anyone here was thinking "wow, I just love ADR so much I'm going to refuse to face the possibility" given that there have been about 5000 posts about what a stupid rear end in a top hat he is in this very thread.

That's why I said it wasn't an unreasonable assumption to make, but as noted by others closer scrutiny indicates the bruising was inconsistent with most physical training of the type she was undergoing. People tend not to make that closer scrutiny because it's far preferable to imagine abuse isn't happening rather than confront it. It's not a matter or supporting or endorsing ADR, but just preferring not to consider that he's THAT kind of rear end in a top hat as opposed to just being a tremendous gently caress-up.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Good thing no one is actually saying that then.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Midnightghoul posted:

I am curious, if the brother's statement is actually indicative of the family's feelings, as to what made them do an about face, as before they were taking a similar stance of all of this is just crazy talk. I would assume just more suggestive evidence of abuse and further limiting of contact.

There have definitely been at least some examples before of family members being hesitant or not supportive at best. Example, her dad

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think abuse is dumb assed. but if you silently support it, that is up to you, and i wont find out about it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

When I was 18 I found out my former neighbor had been beating his wife and kids for years. We hadn't lived near them for 6 or 7 years, but my parents had kept in touch and when the mom finally got the courage to leave, she called my dad to let him know in the event anything had happened to me the many times I was at their house (it didn't and I never saw anything at all). It had been going on for almost 15 years I guess.

In retrospect it made perfect sense because the lady was always super nervous anytime anything got spilled or a mess was made at the house and she was always very quiet.

The whole neighborhood had loved the abuser. He never exhibited anything aggressive at all at cookouts or other neighborhood things. Was always really fun and outgoing. Everyone was shocked to find out.

It really made me aware of the subtle signs associated with it.

I just hope she gets the help she needs because it's pretty evident that she needs to get away from him as soon as possible.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The thing to take into account about ADR getting booked by Paiges family is that when he was, that Paige would come over with him, and that for various reasons she wasn't able to come over on her own.

Also worth remembering when the whole stabbing thing happened her brother was there at the time.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chris James 2 posted:

There have definitely been at least some examples before of family members being hesitant or not supportive at best. Example, her dad

i can get employed as a dental assistant? that is a twist!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It took me a second the first time to notice it was sponsored content, and I was trying to figure out if there was some hidden message I wasn't getting :sweatdrop:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrpUSKE9p_M

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Jerusalem posted:

It took me a second the first time to notice it was sponsored content, and I was trying to figure out if there was some hidden message I wasn't getting :sweatdrop:

I found the hidden message

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Brits caring about their teeth now is quite the plot twist.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

C. Everett Koop posted:

Brits caring about their teeth now is quite the plot twist.

Something's going on here.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'd say that the WWE needs to get Paige on the road just for her sake but even then that'll end poorly.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Phenix Rising posted:

Jeff Hardy's issues were pretty big, too, weren't they? I can't recall how much mainstream attention it got outside of the wrestling bubble but he was in rough loving shape for a while and has received a few "second chances" over the years.

Hoping Paige can escape this and move onto better things.

Yeah, but the movie may make Paige more mainstream. I say that like the film won't be a huge piece of poo poo that flops, audiences ignore and critics revile. But it might not! (It will)

As for Brad Maddox, I can see any number of reasons a family can see Brad, 9 years older than Paige, as been a bad influence on her. Would be unsurprising if he was amongst the many who fueled what some regard as her burgeoning alcoholism.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

quote:

Roy Knight posted the audio from the airport altercation between the two and added:

“We got pics from the last 6 months bro of her beating I’m glad she’s finally sticking up for yourself..the reason there fighting yesterday is cause my uncle on his last legs in hospital and he wished him dead. Well now its out there ,the answer to all your questions I keep getting asked is there ,my sis won’t be going WWE cause he won’t let her ,he trying get her the sack by keep running on about them.”

maybe it's because i just got off work and i'm tired, but i've read this a couple of times and i think i still need a translation for that last part in bold. is he saying del rio is trying to get paige fired? does that mean paige would prefer to stay in wwe?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Mulaney Power Move posted:

maybe it's because i just got off work and i'm tired, but i've read this a couple of times and i think i still need a translation for that last part in bold. is he saying del rio is trying to get paige fired? does that mean paige would prefer to stay in wwe?

Yes. Del Rio has been cutting promos going after WWE at the end,of every GFW show recently to the point they're hiding mics from him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Del Rio hates WWE for numerous reasons (definitely at least some of them justified)

Paige has been public about training to come back to in-ring action throughout her injury recovery, and obviously that's easier to do with WWE, where she's still under contract. When contract expires or if she's fired after another failed drug test, there's no guarantee she'd go to GFW or some place like SHIMMER or ROH's Women of Honor, and honestly it's probably safer to not risk that

She obviously has reason to hate them, including the Wellness failures (at least one of which she's maintained wasn't legitimate and protested), but she loves wrestling and it's the easiest place to do that in. It seems like the only thing the company really has against her is they want her and Del Rio to not be together, which given recent events I don't blame them for

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

does that mean paige would prefer to stay in wwe?
She never makes a direct comment herself but she semi-regularly retweets people excited for her to return, asking for her to come back, etc.

Testekill posted:

I'd say that the WWE needs to get Paige on the road just for her sake but even then that'll end poorly.
This is as long-distance armchair doctoring as can be, but I'd say WWE needs to help her with rehab first. Putting her on a tour isn't going to help when she's (apparently) this deep in. But they can't make her do either; she has to come to them for work or be willing to go to them for help, and it doesn't seem like she's going to do either any time soon.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thats exactly how I read it. She has to want to go back in at least a small way. Abusers isolate their partners and there's pretty much no way he could keep his hold on her with the WWE schedule being what it is, as well.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

del rio seems like a real insecure man -- a perro, if you will.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Dell Rio is a cokehead and a sadistic abuser; but you already knew that

dayjib
Jan 15, 2017

rovert posted:

Nope. What's the scoop here anyway? Previously in this thread I did say the relationship has all the signs of domestic abuse but should be obvious to most. I posted the bruises to her body and her cutting out her closest friends. Various people reported various incidents over the past two years.

Wait 2 years? They've been together for just over a year. Is there something beyond Alberto?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I used to enjoy coming to this thread. Then it got loving sad. Now I just want ADR to get his poo poo pushed in and Saraya to get some drat help.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

dayjib posted:

Wait 2 years? They've been together for just over a year. Is there something beyond Alberto?

Sorry my mistake. It is more than just over a year though. Closer to 18 months or so without looking it up.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I feel this thread needs a pick me up.

dayjib
Jan 15, 2017

rovert posted:

Sorry my mistake. It is more than just over a year though. Closer to 18 months or so without looking it up.

Yeah fair. Remember people saying it was the UK tour time. Before that it was that guy everyone hated from Tough Enough

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I mean, we have had that gif of Del Rio grabbing her by the neck for how long now? Dudes don't normally grab their loved one by the neck and threaten them in front of people as a playful thing.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I mean, we have had that gif of Del Rio grabbing her by the neck for how long now? Dudes don't normally grab their loved one by the neck and threaten them in front of people as a playful thing.

you just don't understand Mexican passion.

• Locked thread