Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Biannual reminder that Short Cuts is secretly one of the best movies in the collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Anybody seen Kuroneko? I'm considering a blind buy just because it'd be cool to see a vengeful japanese ghost lady movie from '68 along with the splurge of them I've seen from the late-'90s/early-'00s. Getting that and Onibaba would be pretty sweet, I haven't seen that one in a long time.

I also love the Eclipse box sets - I've already got When Horror Came to Shochiku, Up All Night with Robert Downey, Sr., and Pearls of the Czech New Wave, any other recommendations from that series?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lamont Cranston posted:

Just got:

Eraserhead
Mulholland Drive (thank Twin Peaks for these two)
Belle de Jour
Young Girls of Rochefort
Stalker

Although I think I generally prefer Bunuel's more explicitly surrealist films, Belle de Jour is really just a lovely picture.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched all the Downey films on Filmstruck. Loved all of them except for Two Tons of Turquoise. Putney Swope is in a class by itself, but No More Excuses is hilarious too.

If you have to get an Eclipse, though, go for the Lubitsch Musicals since they're not online. The Love Parade is one of the best early talkies I've ever seen and it was Lubitsch's first sound film. The Smiling Lieutenant is almost as good, too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For anyone looking for solid blind buys, Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter are two of my favorite Criterions, along with the stellar Lone Wolf & Cub (7 films for $50) and Zatoichi (25 films for $100) sets. LW&C is worth it for the crazy Shogun Assassin edit alone.

I'm bummed that I'm running out of samurai blu-rays to buy, I think Harikiri is the only current blu I'm missing. The Samurai Trilogy starring Mifune is another great pickup if you like historical action with great duels.

ed2 - That reminds me, I assume the Nikkatsu Noir Eclipse set is worth picking up?

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 12, 2017

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Did Sword of Doom never get an upgrade? Crazy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Origami Dali posted:

Did Sword of Doom never get an upgrade? Crazy.

It did

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Oh, I'm just blind.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

K. Waste posted:

Anybody seen Kuroneko? I'm considering a blind buy just because it'd be cool to see a vengeful japanese ghost lady movie from '68 along with the splurge of them I've seen from the late-'90s/early-'00s. Getting that and Onibaba would be pretty sweet, I haven't seen that one in a long time.
It owns, but it's much more of a low-key mood piece then any more recent black-haired ghost j-horror you've probably seen. In the sense that, I dunno, something like Dreyer's Vampyr (1932) is more of a low-key mood piece than your typical vampire flick...even though the genre is full of low-key mood pieces. If that makes sense.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Zazie dans le metro is underrated.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

Cloks posted:

Il Sorpasso
Bicycle Thieves
La Notte
L'Avventura
Life Aquatic
Ghost World
My Winnipeg
Martin Scorcese's World Cinema Project Vol. 2

Watching the second season of Master of None may have guided my purchases a bit.

I assume you already have La Dolce Vita then?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
gently caress I just ordered Straw Dogs because I grabbed Yojimbo for a mate, and B+N's international shipping is just arse. Keeping my Stalker pre-order from Amazon which has dropped to $22, because the shipping is gonna end up beating them by about a week at least.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

GoldenGun posted:

And Il Posto

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We may not have your B+N sales over here in the UK, but this month we get A Brighter Summer Day and Stalker, which is just about the most perfect month possible for me that doesn't include a Lynch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

We may not have your B+N sales over here in the UK, but this month we get A Brighter Summer Day and Stalker, which is just about the most perfect month possible for me that doesn't include a Lynch.

You guys do get the 5 for 30 Arrow Video sale, though. I'm kinda miffed that I'll be in the UK a month too late for that one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched a few minutes of each and they all look incredible. The Lodger is one of the best silent restorations I've seen (up there with Wings and The Big Parade). Being There and Straw Dogs look like brand new movies. I think I'm going to love Tampopo just from the opening scene (and it looks great too). Blow-Up has color that pops like Technicolor should. It looks a little softer, but probably on par with what a 60s print would look like.

Also, I know it's nitpicking, but I really love how Criterion kept the original distributor logos on Being There and Straw Dogs (United Artists and Cinerama Releasing, respectively).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

GoldenGun posted:

I don't have La Dolce Vita or Il Posto but my Barnes and Noble was a little picked over already.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If you don't buy His Girl Friday you should autoban TBH
I really didn't care for HGF, the main lead was extraordinarily manipulative and creepy in a way that made it hard to find the comedic situations actually humorous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

I was surprised by this, but I ended up enjoying Kuroneko more than Onibaba. Onibaba is scarier I suppose, but Kuroneko's amazing set design puts it over the top for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I also love the Eclipse box sets - I've already got When Horror Came to Shochiku, Up All Night with Robert Downey, Sr., and Pearls of the Czech New Wave, any other recommendations from that series?

Yeah Kuroneko is great, I got it as a blind buy a while back. Really unique, striking movie.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Went in for the Tati box set--can't wait to see his other films beyond Playtime.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed Playtime a lot but a big part of that was the grand scale of it all. I worry that if I go back to earlier Tati it will be underwhelming.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
No way, it just becomes charming. Playtime is a grand masterpiece but I think Holiday is really his most soulfully, earnestly good movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has there ever been any hint that Criterion might do The Triplets of Bellville or The Ilusionist? I think they should.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Tati restorations are nothing short of perfect. Literally the only negative thing about the set is that the alternate cuts (Jour de Fete '64 and color, original cut of Holiday, and "My Uncle") were encoded with much less quality than the main presentations.

Basebf555 posted:

Has there ever been any hint that Criterion might do The Triplets of Bellville or The Ilusionist? I think they should.

Sony has US rights, so they'd be good candidates. Especially since Triplets was released as a BD-R MOD.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I picked up Branded to Kill and They Live By Night. I would have preordered Stalker, but I use my girlfriend's mom's B&N account to save that extra ten percent and I didn't want that to gently caress things up. I'll just do a store pickup the day it comes out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Being There
Cat People
Harakiri
Good Morning
Tampopo

I think I'll go back next week and grab Stalker and the Tati set. I'll have to order Nikkatsu Noir, none of my local stores had it in stock.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Being There
Cat People
Harakiri
Good Morning
Tampopo

I think I'll go back next week and grab Stalker and the Tati set. I'll have to order Nikkatsu Noir, none of my local stores had it in stock.

Being There is a good choice. It's very relevant to the current political climate.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cloks posted:

Being There is a good choice. It's very relevant to the current political climate.

The current political climate was one of my motivations for picking up The Manchurian Candidate. :v:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Xenomrph posted:

The current political climate was one of my motivations for picking up The Manchurian Candidate. :v:

What, no The Great Dictator? Doctor Strangelove?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

"But they released Armageddon" is Criterion's BUT HER EMAILS

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cloks posted:

Watching Strangelove on election night seemed like the appropriate thing to do

Cloks posted:

I've never seen it, but it's one of my dad's favorite films. He adores Peter Sellers.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cloks posted:

Already have Dr Strangelove, gonna get The Great Dictator after my next paycheck. :v:

Egbert Souse posted:

"But they released Armageddon" is Criterion's BUT HER EMAILS

I wish Criterion would get off their rear end and release a bluray version of Armageddon.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cloks posted:

I've always found it somewhat appropriate that Being There was among the first movies Reagan saw in the White House.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonna cross-quote a post from the Transformers thread in BSS because it seems relevant:

Keldroc posted:

The Criterion Collection included The Rock and Armageddon because at the time they were trying to balance their "auteur classics" mission statement with releases that represented modern mainstream filmmaking. As time went on and it became clear they weren't able to compete monetarily with the big studios (and said studios began to prefer to release their big money films themselves and not through a third party), the Criterion Collection shifted almost wholly to classic/foreign/"great directors" material. Bay's inclusion in the Criterion Collection is not any kind of "he's as good as the rest of these directors" endorsement. It was Criterion trying to make more money than usual.

Is there any truth to this?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Xenomrph posted:

I wish they would put out A Face in the Crowd. It's scary how well that movie predicts the current political climate and it was made in 1957.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's worth remembering that Bay's reputation before and after he stepped into the Transformers franchise are very different. Or maybe Bad Boys II was that tipping point, but either way, at the time Criterion put out The Rock and Armageddon opinions on Bay were much less "he's a cancer on the medium of film", and a lot more "he's the wave of the future and he makes the over the top roller coaster rides that people want to see".

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the idea that criterion only puts out the best and most important films is also stupid. it's all about marketing, the deals they can make, and whoever works at criterions personal taste

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Parallax posted:

the idea that criterion only puts out the best and most important films is also stupid. it's all about marketing, the deals they can make, and whoever works at criterions personal taste

I was trying to explain that to a friend the other day. The reason you buy a criterion is because they objectively put out a great product. You know they put work in and are always on the cutting edge of film restoration. Actual film quality is totally subjective. Though I'd say their record is more good than bad, but again that is all personal taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Beating a dead horse, but I'm a million times more likely to throw on my copy of The Rock then ever watch Tiny Furniture again.