Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Well, that and like a few notable players from the era, he didn't take care of himself. He was an alcoholic (one of his nicknames was "the Sousepaw", as if Rube wasn't enough of a dickish nickname), and he wrestled alligators during the off-season.

It's impossible to diagnose a man who's been dead 100 years, but all the Waddell stories suggest something like autism. Though the tales aren't true of him chasing fire engines from the mound.

Probably one of the more questionable HOF picks ever, too. His strikeout figures were amazing. He burned out way too early on everything else. His own fault, too, an incident over hat that saw him injure his shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

You joke but I bet Maddon's already left a dozen drunk messages at 3am asking for Coghlan.

I'm just laughing imagining the chump tasked with calling actual baseball managers and offering those four. Liriano is cashed, Estrada appears to be hopelessly broken, Joe Smith... has been quite good out of the Jays pen this year, but as I write this he's still on the DL with Mystery Shoulder, and Jose Bautista is Jose Bautista. Unless some other pitching staff somewhere has figured out what's wrong with Estrada and is confident they can fix him, I really can't think who'd be interested in any of them.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

shadok posted:

I'm just laughing imagining the chump tasked with calling actual baseball managers and offering those four. Liriano is cashed, Estrada appears to be hopelessly broken, Joe Smith... has been quite good out of the Jays pen this year, but as I write this he's still on the DL with Mystery Shoulder, and Jose Bautista is Jose Bautista. Unless some other pitching staff somewhere has figured out what's wrong with Estrada and is confident they can fix him, I really can't think who'd be interested in any of them.

I could see a team maybe being interested in Liriano for the bullpen but I don't think it would bring a great return

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My dumb terrible team made a very high quality GOT video of San Francisco for Game of Thrones Night, but only posted it on facebook, so I can't embed it, so here's a news article if you care that has the video embedded in it.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/mlb/san-francisco-giants/article157664689.html

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Theo gave up on Schwarber awfully quick. A year ago we wouldn't trade him for Chapman and now he's offering him up in trades.

Probably because he's spent that year absolutely sucking.

Niwrad posted:

I love Schwarber but I didn't understand the attachment to him. His 2015 was great but there were red flags and it was highly unlikely he would be able to replicate it long term.

It'd be silly to sell low on him because I do think he'll become a good hitter in the long run. But there is a ceiling for a lefty pull-hitter who can't play defense and has such a low contact rate.

For all the "beefy lad" love he gets here I think his weight is definitely a risk factor. If he's 250+ at 24 it's going to be very hard for him to keep in reasonable shape when he gets older and his metabolism slows down.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Niwrad posted:

I love Schwarber but I didn't understand the attachment to him. His 2015 was great but there were red flags and it was highly unlikely he would be able to replicate it long term.

It'd be silly to sell low on him because I do think he'll become a good hitter in the long run. But there is a ceiling for a lefty pull-hitter who can't play defense and has such a low contact rate.

I think Schwarber looked like he was transforming into the best version of himself when he first came up. He looked great in the minors and, obviously, had some amazing initial success. At this point, the Cubs have another group of potentially good young players they can use soon so it makes Schwarber look a little disposable. He could very well do the Rizzo thing and use more AAA experience to figure out what he needs to do to be a good MLB hitter but, at the moment, the Cubs need to focus on winning and they have some young talent to spare.

It's not so much that I've soured on Schwarber, it's just that he has to be a pretty darn good hitter to justify keeping him. He's certainly a much better fit for an AL team. In theory, the Cubs have the bats to compete.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 13, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

shadok posted:

http://toronto.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2017/07/07/source-blue-jays-finalize-plans-for-july-trades/

OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY. DON'T LET THESE AMAZING BARGAINS SLIP AWAY. THIS IS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY HERE FOLKS AND SUPPLIES ARE STRICTLY LIMITED.

ANYONE?

anyone?

Not Donaldson?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Julio Cruz posted:

For all the "beefy lad" love he gets here I think his weight is definitely a risk factor. If he's 250+ at 24 it's going to be very hard for him to keep in reasonable shape when he gets older and his metabolism slows down.

And it's not like the weight is new; he's put more on every single year (I mean, I thought he was fat as hell when I saw him at Kane County, and looking back he was positively svelte compared to now). Dude is not in particularly good shape unless that shape is round.

Ultimately, though, I think even the most moronic GMs in the league like Duquette or Preller can see that if Schwarber ever sticks in the majors, it's going to be as a DH, and that combined with his performance this year means that Epstein and Hoyer don't have a ton of trade leverage.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 13, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Julio Cruz posted:

He definitely has the looks of a future Sandoval but at least his game is "giant dude who hits the crap out of the ball" as opposed to "giant dude who is somehow agile despite that and is a slap hitter"

But yes he should probably be a DH

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 13, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'd be sad to see him go. Schwarbs is my boy. But if it's for the greater good, I trust Theo and Co to do the right thing.

Also, Sammy Sosa now looks like a giant eraser. Doesn't he have that skin condition that Michael Jackson had?

https://twitter.com/Dante_Jordan/status/885380291853811712

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Not Donaldson?

They have one more on him. Smith, Jose, etc. they only have for the rest of this season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Your Taint posted:

I'd be sad to see him go. Schwarbs is my boy. But if it's for the greater good, I trust Theo and Co to do the right thing.

Also, Sammy Sosa now looks like a giant eraser. Doesn't he have that skin condition that Michael Jackson had?

https://twitter.com/Dante_Jordan/status/885380291853811712

I always thought he was photoshopping himself to be whiter :stare:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Berzerker posted:

They have one more on him. Smith, Jose, etc. they only have for the rest of this season.

According to Fangraphs, the deal he's on ends at the end of this year.

Watch the Jays just let him walk for nothing, like the Yankees did with Cano.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That's Sammy Sosa. Yes, THE Sammy Sosa.

And this that is his pintrest.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Spotrac has him at ARB4 for 2018 which I guess happens when you're super 2?

e: Wait he's been in the league way too long for that :downs:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 13, 2017

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Inspector_666 posted:

His deal is up, but he's still arbitration eligible for one more year. He won't be walking.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/885520101251874816

That's a package alright :stare:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

umm well alright

uhh

going to need some time to process that

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm just shocked that none of the big writers had this first, the team account scooped them!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't know who any of those prospects are

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Not Donaldson?

If the rumours are true, a full teardown and rebuild is off the table, so Donaldson, Stroman and Osuna are not for sale. JA Happ might be if the price is right.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't know who any of those prospects are

Jimenez and Cease are pretty high-up prospects for us (Jimenez our top prospect at this point now that Happ is up). I like this deal though.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

eloy is one of the top hitting prospects in the minors

cease was probably the cubs best pitching prospect but a couple of years from being up. rhp.

rest are blah

e: this trade is exactly what a trade should be, i think. quintana is perfect for the cubs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

eloy is one of the top hitting prospects in the minors

cease was probably the cubs best pitching prospect but a couple of years from being up. rhp.

rest are blah

e: this trade is exactly what a trade should be, i think. quintana is perfect for the cubs.

Yeah, I really like this for both sides. Quintana through 2020 is really nice, and we gave up the appropriate amount of potential future talent for a better opportunity now.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I saw Quintana pitch last month and he went 7 innings and looked great. Gonna miss the guy.

I see these guys are a ways away from making the majors which is fine because Sox aren't going to be good until 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dafuq?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/suss2hyphens/status/885522702177640448

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Thought for sure we would hold onto Cease.

Dat White Sox farm system. :stare:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Didn't see that coming

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

umm well alright

uhh

going to need some time to process that

Yeah, about three years

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

Didn't see that coming

Yeah that came out of nowhere.

Don't know if we overpaid a bit with our top 2 prospects. One, sure. But both?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Very impressed there were basically no rumors about this. Wonder if Hahn just took the red line to Addison to hash things out.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I like this deal, for both sides.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Rotation next year of Lester/Quintana/Hendricks/?/?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The last time I remember the Cubs making a July trade for a White Sox pitcher, they coughed up Jon Garland for Matt loving Karchner.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

further, this means schwarber is staying. he is the lf of the future.

liking this more and more

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
more important:

https://twitter.com/ReporterDarius/status/885526411448070152

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Your Taint posted:

Don't know if we overpaid a bit with our top 2 prospects. One, sure. But both?

The Cubs already have way too many outfielders, so I'm not too worried about losing Eloy. The Cubs need starting pitching NOW and Cease isn't gonna be able to do that. Theo's always been a guy who builds position players up on the farm and acquires pitchers through free agency anyway.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I like the return for Q, but I wish he wasn't going to the north side. But hey, rebuild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Abel Wingnut posted:

further, this means schwarber is staying. he is the lf of the future.

liking this more and more

Quintana is also incredibly cheap through 2020 so while the Sox certainly got a haul, even if the wheels come off the bus completely within the next few years it's not like the Cubs won't have some very sellable pieces for a quick rebuild.

• Locked thread