Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Fojar38 posted:

Don't let anyone tell you about min/maxing in Stellaris. Calling it a 4x is somewhat generous when it's really a sim game.

Play xenophile if you want. I do.

As long as you have enough minerals, and enough force to make other empires around you, if any, back off.

That's the only real limiter, since minerals, generally speaking, gets you everything else you're after; power, science, food, planets, mega-projects, force...

There are other concerns(Pops to run the facilities, influence to colonise), but one can say they are minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Snowman Crossing posted:

That's the basic process, but I keep liberating them and they keep trending xenophobic and so won't enter a migration treaty even though i'm a charismatic race of pacifist space snails who gently drop small nets from orbit while I grind their fleets to dust. :sad:

If you aren't xenophobic the vassals you tear away from an existing empire won't be either - they literally copy your ethics.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Liberate dudes then vassalize them then when you can assimilate them free them. Usually they'll join up if you ask after you've Stockholmed them a little.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only space 4x game I've ever fully completed was the new Master of Orion, because when the space stock market went up, I thought "oh beans I should get on that" and dumped most of what turned out to be a disgustingly large fortune into it, instantly collapsing the galactic economy and rendering all currencies but mine obsolete, netting me an economy victory.

I didn't even know there WAS an economic victory at that point, I was just hoarding

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Is it a good idea to ignore tile bonuses and just turn a planet into a giant mineral/energy production center?
I found a 24 size planet with +50% to minerals, so now it's my personal giant strip mine, nearing 200 minerals/month while growing the last few pops.

Is it worth it to do this on non-specific-bonus planets?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

nimby posted:

Is it a good idea to ignore tile bonuses and just turn a planet into a giant mineral/energy production center?
I found a 24 size planet with +50% to minerals, so now it's my personal giant strip mine, nearing 200 minerals/month while growing the last few pops.

you can think of the +50% minerals thing as being tile bonuses everywhere, so just act as you would if every time came with a +1 to +2.5 (depending on tech) mineral tile bonus on top of whatever it currently has. in other words, yes, mine everything unless there's something super fancy there

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

ulmont posted:

If you aren't xenophobic the vassals you tear away from an existing empire won't be either - they literally copy your ethics.

You're right. I was thinking of "liberate" not "vassalize". Whatever empire I've been tearing chunks out of is too big for me to vassalize outright. So you're saying if I liberate them, THEN demand vassalization, they switch to my ethics?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

nimby posted:

Usually, yes, because you get various options for percentage-based bonuses to an entire planet, like various edicts or governor traits, plus various adjacency bonuses that also help compound things, though to a more limited degree.

That said, bonuses on the individual tile level are rarely too consequential in either direction. If you've got a mining world that has a 2 energy tile on it or something, the few bonus percent for extra mining probably don't outweigh that, but neither does the bonus +2 energy outweigh the mineral bonus. It's situational.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Snowman Crossing posted:

You're right. I was thinking of "liberate" not "vassalize". Whatever empire I've been tearing chunks out of is too big for me to vassalize outright. So you're saying if I liberate them, THEN demand vassalization, they switch to my ethics?

Yeah, liberated empires will copy your ethics, which will give you a big bonus on vassalizing them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HonorableTB posted:

So should I be building spaceports for them? When I colonize a world to give to a sector, I usually only clear the blocker tiles for them and toss a few upgrades on the tiles already populated.

As far as other settings, should I be allowing redevelopment and tell them to respect tile resources? I'm not a super heavy micro guy so I've just been letting them redevelop to match the sector focus while respecting tile resources at the same time.

It changes over time. Especially in the beginning, you want to leave Redevelopment off, so that they don't pointlessly spend all their relatively scarce minerals constantly rejigging their buildings, and I usually leave Respect Tile Resources on indefinitely, just because that way I can put them on mineral focus but that won't be the only thing they do. You do end up with waaaay too much food if you do that, but +40% growth speed isn't terrible either.

Once they have a decent mineral income, I turn space construction on, but I'll let them get 5+ worlds first.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fojar38 posted:

Don't let anyone tell you about min/maxing in Stellaris. Calling it a 4x is somewhat generous when it's really a sim game.

Play xenophile if you want. I do.

Sure, chase your bliss, but if you want an ethos that gives you a benefit or fits any specific playstile definitely don't pick xenophile.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spanish Matlock posted:

Sure, chase your bliss, but if you want an ethos that gives you a benefit or fits any specific playstile definitely don't pick xenophile.

Nonsense. Xenophile is built for and fits specifically for a diplomatic/multispecies playstyle, with opinion boosts, diplo cost reduction and faction that grows very strong specifically from these things. You may not enjoy or think that playstyle is good but that does not mean Xenophile isn't perfect for it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Looks like we might be getting some new civics:

https://twitter.com/lysannschlegel/status/884695738755756032

At least, I think that's what this is highlighting?

eta: Whoops, missed the little picture on the side of the prole species.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wiz posted:

Nonsense. Xenophile is built for and fits specifically for a diplomatic/multispecies playstyle, with opinion boosts, diplo cost reduction and faction that grows very strong specifically from these things. You may not enjoy or think that playstyle is good but that does not mean Xenophile isn't perfect for it.

The problems are that Egalitarian and Spiritualist give you better benefits for opinion boosts in any civ (multispecies or otherwise), diplomatic play is shallow and frustrating at the moment, and all of this is conditional on willing neighbors who may or may not spawn.

Marginal situational boosts that do not affect the early game don't compare to the broad benefits that apply to almost anything you might want to do fron every other ethic.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Wiz posted:

What about xenophile makes any of those things easier? Did they fix migration or do migration treaty empires with lovely planets still entirely prefer in-empire migration to migrating to your xenophile paradise? Granted it's been a while since I played, but the last time I played all of the xenophile bonuses were essentially meaningless.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

What about xenophile makes any of those things easier? Did they fix migration or do migration treaty empires with lovely planets still entirely prefer in-empire migration to migrating to your xenophile paradise? Granted it's been a while since I played, but the last time I played all of the xenophile bonuses were essentially meaningless.

1.8 will allow any species to live on any planet, albeit at a pretty horrendous habitability penalty. This means you can get treaties with anyone, I assume. Won't fix migration slowing down your pop growth, though.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
So I'm playing a game as the Commonwealth and attempting to conquer the galaxy. Problem is, practically everyone is a democratic federation builder. They've all gone and built a giant super federation, it's literally over half the galaxy with all the goody empires and they all won their local power struggles. Everybody else is just a rogue's gallery of despotic losers that got pummeled into inconsequence by this galaxy-spanning federation. I'd love to make my own counterbalancing axis of power, but everybody has a "pathetic" fleet score from getting beat up so it's not worth it. They kicked my rear end in a fleet battle once already, I had to give them a whole sector of planets and agree to stop committing atrocities.

I'm sure they were just waiting down the cooloff period to invade me again since I had no ships left, but in the meantime a xenophile fallen empire awakened and decided that er no actually they are going to bring peace and order to the galaxy so everybody has to stop fighting now. It was a total asshat move because this federation had things in hand quite nicely already, they were pretty much just doing their victory lap at that point. I was about to quit the playthrough but tried I signing up as the AE's protectorate. Cue the awakened empire declaring war on the entire federation shortly afterwards and sending it's giant fleet to stomp them. I have a sensor link to see their fleet since I'm their pet now, and it's quite satisfying to watch them effortlessly tear apart one of the federation's strongest members and send them plummeting down into the "pathetic" club with the rest of us.

I'm now rebuilding my fleet with a view to backstabbing my protectors at the appropriate moment while they fight their ego war over who the galactic police are. After losing a couple fleets, the federation actually got serious and put a giant kitchen-sink fleet together to take on the AE's 450k stack, it looks like they are going to start tearing chunks out of each other which is just perfect:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

I mean it fits but personally the biggest advantage I see coming from the xenophile ethic is the reduction to diplomatic influence cost, as a fanatic xenophile can essentially have double the number of defensive treaties.

However, the main purpose of playing a diplomatic run through is to join a federation, meaning that you can't sign defensive treaties. I can't remember if the discount applies to diplomatic annexation but I assume it does, which is a nice bonus but realistically absorbing people quicker would be fare more useful than paying less to absorb them as you can only annex one vassal at a time.

All the "best" bonuses if you want to be a diplomatic species comes from the Diplomacy tradition, and if you want to vassalise and absorb people domination is has all the bonuses. When you compare the "bonus" you get to diplomacy from xenophile to say the bonus you get to your empire from say militarist, materialist, and egalitarian xenophile just doesn't seem as strong.

I know the counter argument is that supremacy, discovery, and prosperity all provide pretty good bonuses compared to militarist/materialist/egalitarian, but I feel xenophile really is a "feel free to leave it and it won't inhibit your diplomatic game at all", whereas if you want to play someone with max research you really want to be a materialist, and if you're going to be really aggressive some sort of militarist is a big bonus. Egalitarian is also pretty important if you want to play a race with high living standards.

I guess xenophile's bonus to opinion means it's easier to form alliances/federations etc, but I find in practice this rarely matters, if you can't get them into your federation by just dumping a load of minerals on them then they probably are not a good idea to invite into your federation anyway

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
When playing on Hard should I be ready to accept that everyone around me in the early game will always be 'Superior' to me in fleet score, even when I'm maxed out and they're smaller, or am I just bad?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Nickiepoo posted:

When playing on Hard should I be ready to accept that everyone around me in the early game will always be 'Superior' to me in fleet score, even when I'm maxed out and they're smaller, or am I just bad?

You can go over your fleet cap. It's a scaling upkeep penalty after you do so, if you can afford the upkeep then go nuts.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
If I declare war on an 'empire' with 2 systems that has a defensive pact with a small empire, and that small empire has a 2nd defensive pact with a much larger empire, do I go to war with all 3?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

I mean it fits but personally the biggest advantage I see coming from the xenophile ethic is the reduction to diplomatic influence cost, as a fanatic xenophile can essentially have double the number of defensive treaties.

However, the main purpose of playing a diplomatic run through is to join a federation, meaning that you can't sign defensive treaties. I can't remember if the discount applies to diplomatic annexation but I assume it does, which is a nice bonus but realistically absorbing people quicker would be fare more useful than paying less to absorb them as you can only annex one vassal at a time.

All the "best" bonuses if you want to be a diplomatic species comes from the Diplomacy tradition, and if you want to vassalise and absorb people domination is has all the bonuses. When you compare the "bonus" you get to diplomacy from xenophile to say the bonus you get to your empire from say militarist, materialist, and egalitarian xenophile just doesn't seem as strong.

I know the counter argument is that supremacy, discovery, and prosperity all provide pretty good bonuses compared to militarist/materialist/egalitarian, but I feel xenophile really is a "feel free to leave it and it won't inhibit your diplomatic game at all", whereas if you want to play someone with max research you really want to be a materialist, and if you're going to be really aggressive some sort of militarist is a big bonus. Egalitarian is also pretty important if you want to play a race with high living standards.

I guess xenophile's bonus to opinion means it's easier to form alliances/federations etc, but I find in practice this rarely matters, if you can't get them into your federation by just dumping a load of minerals on them then they probably are not a good idea to invite into your federation anyway
Xenophile's problem is, I think, that it's the best at something that's currently not worth being the best at. Once the diplo game gets fleshed out and it's worth going all in on diplomatic bonuses Xenophile should start looking nicer.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

You can go over your fleet cap. It's a scaling upkeep penalty after you do so, if you can afford the upkeep then go nuts.

Yeah, I'm more asking if 'realistically' I should always just accept being the underdog when playing on hard.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, I'm more asking if 'realistically' I should always just accept being the underdog when playing on hard.

Hard AIs get some bonuses. Realistically you need to build more dang ships and go over your fleet cap

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Sanctum posted:

If I declare war on an 'empire' with 2 systems that has a defensive pact with a small empire, and that small empire has a 2nd defensive pact with a much larger empire, do I go to war with all 3?

Only if you had declared war on the small empire, the larger empire won't come in to help because the small one declared war on it's own to defend the tiny one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vadoc posted:

Only if you had declared war on the small empire, the larger empire won't come in to help because the small one declared war on it's own to defend the tiny one.

Yeah defensive pacts do not cascade, defensive treaty obligations are only between the two parties involved in the treaty and only in the case that one of them is attacked. It doesn't trigger if they start a war, and it doesn't trigger if they enter into a war as a result of their other treaty obligations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nickiepoo posted:

Only for the first couple wars maybe. Max out those stations and fleet cap, and if necessary, bank a pile of minerals then burst way over fleet cap and go win your war. As long as you engage quickly and lose a bunch of ships it won't bankrupt you.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mukip posted:

So I'm playing a game as the Commonwealth and attempting to conquer the galaxy. Problem is, practically everyone is a democratic federation builder. They've all gone and built a giant super federation, it's literally over half the galaxy with all the goody empires and they all won their local power struggles. Everybody else is just a rogue's gallery of despotic losers that got pummeled into inconsequence by this galaxy-spanning federation. I'd love to make my own counterbalancing axis of power, but everybody has a "pathetic" fleet score from getting beat up so it's not worth it. They kicked my rear end in a fleet battle once already, I had to give them a whole sector of planets and agree to stop committing atrocities.

I'm sure they were just waiting down the cooloff period to invade me again since I had no ships left, but in the meantime a xenophile fallen empire awakened and decided that er no actually they are going to bring peace and order to the galaxy so everybody has to stop fighting now. It was a total asshat move because this federation had things in hand quite nicely already, they were pretty much just doing their victory lap at that point. I was about to quit the playthrough but tried I signing up as the AE's protectorate. Cue the awakened empire declaring war on the entire federation shortly afterwards and sending it's giant fleet to stomp them. I have a sensor link to see their fleet since I'm their pet now, and it's quite satisfying to watch them effortlessly tear apart one of the federation's strongest members and send them plummeting down into the "pathetic" club with the rest of us.

I'm now rebuilding my fleet with a view to backstabbing my protectors at the appropriate moment while they fight their ego war over who the galactic police are. After losing a couple fleets, the federation actually got serious and put a giant kitchen-sink fleet together to take on the AE's 450k stack, it looks like they are going to start tearing chunks out of each other which is just perfect:

Keep us posted man. Sounds great

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

My first play-through, I started as the pacifist sloth-people. I ended up, through a bit of fortune and strategic choice, getting a sizable chunk of territory with few planets, but a lot of stars and resources. My plan initially was to turtle up and just build Dyson Spheres and science megastructures, get an insane research bonus going, and shoot way ahead of everyone in tech. I switched my strategy to "expand and get massive fleet" because I got an Awakened Empire who started rapidly expanding with a 500k fleet and I realized I wouldn't be able to out-tech them in time, but how viable a strategy is it to try and keep a low planet count and bliz through research like that? The gambit partially worked because when I first started my expansionist wars my fleets were crushing equivalent sized fleets with either few or zero losses.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Mukip posted:

Wild Horses posted:

Keep us posted man. Sounds great

Yeah, take pictures of this when it happens, looks like it'll be a pretty hilarious throw down.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mukip posted:

Christ, I've never seen a Federation get their poo poo together quite that well. That's like 600k+ Fleet power.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Goodbye Hazari Swarm, you were fun to play but in the end the devouring swarm made too many enemies.

I took a short period to consolidate all my conquests and ended up getting ganged up on by the galaxy's 3 different alliance blocks and the interventionist awaked empire. Defending against 3 different ~100k strong fleets isn't easy, but when several 150k fleets join in I'm calling it quits.

I'm guessing I wasn't nearly as aggressive enough as I should have been early in the game, to prevent such strong alliances from forming in the first place.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
That's how Germany lost, yeah.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Metal King @ Paradox posted:

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This week’s diary I’m taking charge and going to write about Voice Over’s for the (unannounced) Story Pack coming alongside the 1.8 ‘Čapek’ update! We still can’t tell you any further details about the name or release date of the Story Pack, but stay tuned for future dev diaries!

For the upcoming Story Pack we felt that we wanted to experiment with VIR, our friendly advisor, see how it would feel to have different set of VO cues depending on your Empire’s ethic. A VO Cue is a term that we use to describe a Voice Over line that triggers at a certain point in the game as for example “Hostile Fleet Detected” or “Research Complete”.

We started with a test case in-house to try it out and we concluded that it was a great experience! From then on we moved on with the process and allocated time to write unique script for each role, character description, casting, auditions and finally recording sessions. It has been personally a long and hard process but in the end I’m really pleased to finally show of 3 samples out of 10 Voice Packs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b10YpKvgMY
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-77-ethics-voice-packs.1035192/

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Militarist sounds hilarious.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Militarist sounds hilarious.

I really hope it's that over the top for doing everything, not just military things.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Okay, since you can switch back to the previous VO that's much better than being forced to be over the top militarist all the time. Or just be the borg all the time. Even if you're a xenophilic materialist empire.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Not really a fan of this.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Speaking of the Borg, I'm hoping that future updates allow synthetic empires to convert to hive mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

GunnerJ posted:

Not really a fan of this.

Me neither.

And while it's nice that they keep adding lots of flavor things it might be better if they focused on actually making the base gameplay enjoyable. Off the top of my head: fleet combat sucks, not having a fleet builder sucks, ground combat sucks, there's nothing to do that isn't forever war, end crises are boring, there's no espionage, and diplomacy is anemic at best and basically pointless at worst. And then there's the unity mechanic, which was a desperate attempt to tack on something to permit different playstyles, but ultimately boils down to choosing in what order you'll tick off a series of either minor or gamebreaking upgrades.

Be nice if this game had some sort of actual end goal for what it wants to be. I have no idea where this is supposed to be a year from now. Except that it will apparently have voice acting for some reason.

• Locked thread