Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tired Moritz posted:

mmmm people who overreact are scum? idk but Jam had also been on a losing streak so maybe I'm just more likely to overlooked their behavior.

This case is pretty meh for me.

i mean, yeah.

scum have to lie if they want to stay active. hyperbole is the softest kind of lie. having an exaggerated reaction to a small amount of suspicion is inherently scummy.

consider it from this angle. i said that, in my first scum game, i did the random roll to determine who to vote, and I voted my scum bud. So, I initially pointed a finger at Hog, but said that Jam was probably his scum bud.

Since I was casing Hog, the only reason for Jam to intervene there is if I was right. Hog was my focal point here. If Hog flipped scum then I'd come after him next. Otherwise, why start an argument? If Hog flipped town I'd say 'ah gently caress oops' and move on, I wouldn't go back to Jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
After a few hours sleep, I'm starting to come around on Somber's case.

Response to a jokevote, pretty standard.

Jamuraan posted:

I'm vanilla town, your vote on me is meaningless, just like existence.
This post was at most a minute later,

Jamuraan posted:

Cool projection and lynch chaining, scumbo.
I feel like this could have been a jokey response, but...

Jamuraan posted:

Are you autistic?
Namecalling? Really lovely namecalling at that? At someone who named three people as scummy, and hadn't even voted on him?

The more I contextualize his first few post, and the more I read his responses, the worse he starts to look. I'll go into more detail if anyone wants, but let's be real, nobody reads long posts. I'd almost say Jam looks like a defensive newbie town, but he is definitely not a newbie. This is probably as good of a D1 case as we're going to get.

##vote Jamuraan

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

On a mostly unrelated note: Hi, Jam. I don't know if we've ever played a game together before. What are your pronouns? Actually, what are everyone's pronouns? There's a few of you I haven't played with, and I'm sure someone isn't certain about at least one of us. I use she/her! (but I have a dick and make a lot of shitposts about it)

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Somberbrero posted:

that was the initial premise.

I'm town

The only person I feel at all comfortable voting for right now is Jamuraan, but that's only like a 30% maybe not even that.

Somberbrero's at maybe 5% just for being so eager which doesn't mean much but there's not much else to go on d1

Also sus is peramene's line calling Cpig a liar which seemed to come out of nowhere

Other than that, maybe a lurker?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Also I'm a he

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i've come around on killing lurkers, i think it can be useful, but day one i feel like it leaves us with little to go on.

again if someone has a better case, i'm all ears.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Jam's a goddamn lunatic is FFV was anything to go by.

That said him being rude and throwing out slurs is consistent with his town behaviour in that game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

In the recent temple game town Jam was pretty much over-reacting to everything and throwing a fit the whole game which seems pretty much like what is happening here.

The reason I am ok voting Somber right now is that I feel like I have seen exactly this sort of aggressive play from him as scum before where he just came in and tried to control the narrative from the start (which by the way is a cool way to play scum) so I am just going on that for now.

I think Nazgul/Betrayer's pop in to vote me and pop out is also pretty suspicious but I just got through saying I missed playing with him in the discussion thread so my heart isn't in going after him D1

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Jam's a goddamn lunatic is FFV was anything to go by.

That said him being rude and throwing out slurs is consistent with his town behaviour in that game.

yeah exactly

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

it's d1, what do you expect?

based on sombre's case, they must also believe that Hog is also scum, right?

no, definitely not necessarily; i am basing my opinion almost solely on his reaction to somber's posting. I don't read anything into Hog's alignment because of that, i'd rather read his reaction in a vacuum at this point in the game

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Jedit posted:

Yeah, it's a surprise to me also. I'll have to try and do something, don't want to lurk all of day 1.

tick tock

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Question: From a metagame point of view, is that really a behavior that you want to reward? Is the doubt that he's not scum worth encouraging this in the future when he wants to look town?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

To put it another way: "It's okay that he's being a lovely person because he's always a lovely person" may be technically accurate, but in a situation like this where there's some doubt, I'm going to err on the side of "stop being lovely".

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Question: From a metagame point of view, is that really a behavior that you want to reward? Is the doubt that he's not scum worth encouraging this in the future when he wants to look town?

Who are we referring to?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hal i dare you to cite your meta read with examples.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
my last scum game i remember was Mary Celeste, where i tried to bus infi for being a lunatic, my team yelled at me for bussing, and then i checked out until endgame.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

hal i dare you to cite your meta read with examples.

I knew that was coming!

I can't, but I trust my vague memories to be correct.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

I knew that was coming!

I can't, but I trust my vague memories to be correct.

it's weird but now i vaguely recall this being your scumtell.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hal Incandenza posted:

I think Nazgul/Betrayer's pop in to vote me and pop out is also pretty suspicious but I just got through saying I missed playing with him in the discussion thread so my heart isn't in going after him D1

Yeah but then he popped back in with a joke explanation

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

it's weird but now i vaguely recall this being your scumtell.

Hahaha touche

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

OK, I am leaving for a bit but I should be able to get back on a good bit before deadline assuming I can figure out how to get wifi once I get where I am going.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hal Incandenza posted:

Who are we referring to?
Jam calling someone autistic.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

i agree with your premise on the meta level, but it needs to be pointed out that it's purely meta; voting jam on this basis, in the "single mafia game" sense, is in no way alignment indicative

this is obvious, but i'd like to point it out now

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

To put it another way: "It's okay that he's being a lovely person because he's always a lovely person" may be technically accurate, but in a situation like this where there's some doubt, I'm going to err on the side of "stop being lovely".

##unvote

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure what this is supposed to convey here.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to convey here.

Yes, you are. I echo FL's post.

Jamuraan posted:

Sorry if my autistic comment rubs anyone the wrong way, it was a joke.

Regardless of wincon, you need to not lurk right now. This isn't an apology.

PMush Perfect posted:

Jam calling someone autistic.

Neither of you took the time to name Somber in your posts.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Also sus is peramene's line calling Cpig a liar which seemed to come out of nowhere

Hi, I'm Sara. I had a funny reply and forgot to hit post.

My role PM indicates mechanics which I don't feel lend themselves to simple night phases, which is counter to cpig's stated goal.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
sarapera why would you volunteer that information about your role? :(

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Reasons! Worry not.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

peramene posted:

Neither of you took the time to name Somber in your posts.
Somber's a cool guy, but "he called Somber autistic" implies that I was offended for Somber's sake, in a "he did something mean to someone I like" way. Nah, using autistic as an insult is lovely in any context.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i assumed jam was complimenting my excellent detective skills. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vRmLUCn50

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I know, I know. Not been having a good day healthwise, fell asleep around 7pm local for two hours which has impeded my catching up.

PMush Perfect posted:

Not liking this train of thought much. It's using a non-game (or at best "future meta") argument to justify a push. You don't vote someone just because they're Town-aligned Shithead or because you don't like them personally.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

Not liking this train of thought much. It's using a non-game (or at best "future meta") argument to justify a push. You don't vote someone just because they're Town-aligned Shithead or because you don't like them personally.
I also think he's being defensive and scummy, I'm just saying that "he's always a lovely person" is not a defense, either for being either lovely, or scummy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jedit posted:

I know, I know. Not been having a good day healthwise, fell asleep around 7pm local for two hours which has impeded my catching up.

That sucks. Feel better.

PMush Perfect posted:

I also think he's being defensive and scummy, I'm just saying that "he's always a lovely person" is not a defense, either for being either lovely, or scummy.

I don't think this is super productive. Deadline is coming up. If people aren't going to vote Jam we need a viable alternate.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!

Tired Moritz posted:

mmmm people who overreact are scum? idk but Jam had also been on a losing streak so maybe I'm just more likely to overlooked their behavior.

This case is pretty meh for me.

I'm only on a losing streak because of players like you FYI

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jamuraan posted:

I'm only on a losing streak because of players like you FYI

i don't want to dogpile you but come on dude.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!

PMush Perfect posted:

Somber's a cool guy, but "he called Somber autistic" implies that I was offended for Somber's sake, in a "he did something mean to someone I like" way. Nah, using autistic as an insult is lovely in any context.

I was actually saying his post sounded like that of an autistic person.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Somberbrero posted:

i don't want to dogpile you but come on dude.

You actually do, keep it up, scumbo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jamuraan posted:

I was actually saying his post sounded like that of an autistic person.

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah, using autistic as an insult is lovely in any context.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

Always, but I am already besties with Jam so are you ok with being second besties?

Why are you buddying up with me here for no reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

It wasn't an insult, but you can choose to take it that way if you want.

• Locked thread