Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
With Snake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Kirby characters have to hold back their full power when competing in Smash or else they would dominate, like Goku and friends in a regular MMA tournament.

One day Meta Knight will be allowed to unleash his full potential again. And on that day the man behind the mask will truly be back.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Calaveron posted:

With Snake

Do this with Ice Climbers and Inklings and I'd never need another Smash.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Why do competitive Smash players want busted GC controllers?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Beastie posted:

There's some superhuman movement glitch in Melee that can only be exploited if your GCN controller has a specific short-circuit defect. It's a whole thing.

http://compete.kotaku.com/smash-god-drops-out-of-tournament-because-his-controlle-1794769487

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Beastie posted:

It's important for backwards dashes. Here's a technical explanation. Suffice to say, backwards dashes have a tight input window. If, on the first frame of pushing backward, the game registers a half press, you will get stuck in the turn animation for 5-9 frames (depending on character) before you can start your backward dash.

Forward dashes have more leniency, and Magus’ smash turn fix code merely puts the same leniency into backwards dashes.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 13, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Has anyone checked out any of today's new games yet?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

the game registers a half press

Those are real outside of that one meme?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would be very about pokefloats but my friend who mains Little Mac probably wouldn't be.

Chancy is chancy - beware!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lakbay posted:

In this context I'm talking about the GC left stick being half-pressed backwards relative to the character it controls, not the N64 A button being held.

Obviously though I'm still gonna post the greatest piece of art mankind has created
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I want non neon controller colors because they are legit distracting in person

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When they do put Melee on Switch, I hope they take out wavedashing and whatever else to piss off the Melee community.

I bought Minecraft on Switch and it's awesome. I was thinking of resetting to get a better seed but then I stumbled upon a village real close to my spawn point.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lakbay posted:

It's an actual thing in electric/computer engineering because buttons exist in 4 states (open, closing, closed, opening) and which one you're in at an instant can actually matter when checking that input.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's important for backwards dashes. Here's a technical explanation. Suffice to say, backwards dashes have a tight input window. If, on the first frame of pushing backward, the game registers a half press, you will get stuck in the turn animation for 5-9 frames (depending on character) before you can start your backward dash.

Forward dashes have more leniency, and Magus’ smash turn fix code merely puts the same leniency into backwards dashes.

Sounds like the broken controllers are just "experts" capitalizing on an exploit to give them an advantage over normies, however small.

If you need a very specific controller to play the game, you are basically cheating. This is no different than using a turbo button to win a mashing contest. These controllers are allowed in tournament play?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

NofrikinfuN posted:

Sounds like the broken controllers are just "experts" capitalizing on an exploit to give them an advantage over normies, however small.

If you need a very specific controller to play the game, you are basically cheating. This is no different than using a turbo button to win a mashing contest. These controllers are allowed in tournament play?

Melee is real bad

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lakbay posted:

A physical button with digital output inherently has both a press event and a release event, yes. Calling it a half press is inaccurate, but it's a thing that exists.

E: FBI

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lakbay posted:

That's pretty much short hopping in a nutshell

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

NofrikinfuN posted:

How do you come to that conclusion? Everyone at these events is an expert. These guys are trying not to stand in one place for 5-9 frames in an environment where they could very well be punished for it. With the wrong controller even the best melee player can't consistently perform a proper backdash, and joes like myself would struggle to do it with the best controller.

Rules vary from tourney to tourney but these controllers are basically necessary for certain events. Most people in this forum only became aware of this foible with backwards dashes due to news that a well-known Melee player couldn't find a good controller for an upcoming event and had to cancel.

As to whether it's cheating or not, that's more or less up to the community to decide. In my opinion it's the code that's busted and hardware or software fixes should be employed at events. Inconsistent input issues don't make for a better game.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 13, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Don't worry it's not something the average player could pull off even if they had the appropriate controller. It's definitely not a turbo controller level advantage like you're thinking

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

LethalGeek posted:

It's an actual thing in electric/computer engineering because buttons exist in 4 states (open, closing, closed, opening) and which one you're in at an instant can actually matter when checking that input.

What does electric/computer engineering say about parallel universes

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

Just give me smash on switch I don't care which

I would accept an N64 port right now just to hold me over

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

How do you come to that conclusion? Everyone at these events is an expert. These guys are trying not to stand in one place for 5-9 frames in an environment where they could very well be punished for it. With the wrong controller even the best melee player can't consistently perform a proper backdash, and joes like myself would struggle to do it with the best controller.

Rules vary from tourney to tourney but these controllers are basically necessary for certain events. Most people in this forum only became aware of this foible with backwards dashes due to news that a well-known Melee player couldn't find a good controller for an upcoming event and had to cancel.

As to whether it's cheating or not, that's more or less up to the community to decide. In my opinion it's the code that's busted and hardware or software fixes should be employed at events. Inconsistent input issues don't make for a better game.

They're using a non-standard controller to do a move that is impossible or nearly impossible to do with a standard controller that givers them an advantage over players that are using standard controllers.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zelder posted:

Don't worry it's not something the average player could pull off even if they had the appropriate controller. It's definitely not a turbo controller level advantage like you're thinking

I suppose the turbo button comparison is taking it a bit far, but my thoughts go like this:

The player uses the broken controller because it is more consistent at doing something. This is an advantage, sought out by the player. Technically, this creates a non-zero handicap for the opponent, assuming the two start off at comparable skill levels.

Less a turbo button and more thumbing the scales. Advantage is advantage, though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

A physical button with digital output inherently has both a press event and a release event, yes. Calling it a half press is inaccurate, but it's a thing that exists.

E: FBI

TJ "Henry" Yoshi spotted ITT

re: melee players and broken controllers, I'd say "this game community requires an extremely exactly broken controller that's hard if not impossible to get your hands on" is a really good way to prevent literally anyone new from joining the scene and will effectively kill any life left in it

but this is the smash melee scene so the sooner it consumes itself and leaves nothing behind the better

e: I always forget and laugh when I rediscover it, but the top 4-8 players in just about every SSBM tournament has been static for almost a decade now

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I don't even like melee but if we're gonna start complaining about things we don't understand then I'm going to start blaming WiFi shortages on melee tournament players

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

re: melee players and broken controllers, I'd say "this game community requires an extremely exactly broken controller that's hard if not impossible to get your hands on" is a really good way to prevent literally anyone new from joining the scene and will effectively kill any life left in it

but this is the smash melee scene so the sooner it consumes itself and leaves nothing behind the better

:agreed:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

M2K turned into a mist form with the full moon and killed my dog

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
wavedashes killed my family

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zelder posted:

I don't even like melee but if we're gonna start complaining about things we don't understand then I'm going to start blaming WiFi shortages on melee tournament players

Is it a matter of understanding, or interpretation? Was I incorrect in my assessment that they seek out specific hardware because it is in some way advantageous? Why seek out the rare hardware otherwise?

I mean, I've not really got a dog in this fight, I've never even played Smash. It just irks me when communities fly up their own rear end in defense of an exploit under the cover of "It's not technically an advantage because reasons".

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Detective No. 27 posted:

When they do put Melee on Switch, I hope they take out wavedashing and whatever else to piss off the Melee community.

I bought Minecraft on Switch and it's awesome. I was thinking of resetting to get a better seed but then I stumbled upon a village real close to my spawn point.

I hadn't touched MC in about a year or two and was pleasantly surprised by how far it has come. Both seeds that I've played (one online and one off) have had great biodiversity and a ton of awesome caves.

Minecraft for Switch is cool. It's nice to mellow out in bed and craft some mines.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 13, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is it a matter of understanding, or interpretation? Was I incorrect in my assessment that they seek out specific hardware because it is in some way advantageous? Why seek out the rare hardware otherwise?

I mean, I've not really got a dog in this fight, I've never even played Smash. It just irks me when communities fly up their own rear end in defense of an exploit under the cover of "It's not technically an advantage because reasons".

It's probably a good idea to not get irked about games, especially ones you don't even play.

I like Smash 4 the most but I do find it interesting how the Melee community is still breaking that game apart to find new tactics and strategies. It looks absolutely un-fun to me but it's still neat.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lakbay posted:

What does electric/computer engineering say about parallel universes

That's for the physics majors :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

That's pretty much short hopping in a nutshell

Shorthopping is just letting go of jump during the jump squat animation.

Improbable Lobster posted:

They're using a non-standard controller to do a move that is impossible or nearly impossible to do with a standard controller that givers them an advantage over players that are using standard controllers.

Adapt; high level competition in eSports should come down to the limitations of the player and the game, not the limitations of an input method unsuited for high level play. The GameCube controller is pretty poo poo for where Melee stands, especially when you take into account the wide amount of production issues that make nearly all GC pads slightly different giving some a "natural" advantage over another.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's probably a good idea to not get irked about games, especially ones you don't even play.

I like Smash 4 the most but I do find it interesting how the Melee community is still breaking that game apart to find new tactics and strategies. It looks absolutely un-fun to me but it's still neat.

Fair point. I'm just so bored right now. :negative:

I didn't really intend to come off as being argumentative.

RE: Minecraft
My wife bought the WiiU version a couple years ago. Does anyone else get weirded out by the music? Something about it seems... Unsettling.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Shorthopping is just letting go of jump during the jump squat animation.

Adapt; high level competition in eSports should come down to the limitations of the player and the game, not the limitations of an input method unsuited for high level play. The GameCube controller is pretty poo poo for where Melee stands, especially when you take into account the wide amount of production issues that make nearly all GC pads slightly different giving some a "natural" advantage over another.

Seeking oit rare hardware to gain an atypical advantage is not the same as standard variation in hardware prodiction.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Competitive smash is hella stupid and can we please move on to something else?

I gather we can make teams for the upcoming splatfest this weekend sounds like something goons should do to crap all over pubbies children.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LethalGeek posted:

Competitive smash is hella stupid and can we please move on to something else?

I gather we can make teams for the upcoming splatfest this weekend sounds like something goons should do to crap all over pubbies children.

Yeah, you need four people on the same side of the contentious cake/ice cream debate. You'll be matched against another lobby of four, so you'll probably see the more dedicated players.

FWIW Team Cake all the way baby

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Seeking oit rare hardware to gain an atypical advantage is not the same as standard variation in hardware prodiction.

Do you know that a properly functioning GameCube pad without a skewed analog stick is pretty rare?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do you know that a properly functioning GameCube pad without a skewed analog stick is pretty rare?

A skewed analog stick doesn't give you a competitive advantage and no one has taken their ball and gone home because their stick wasn't hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

s.i.r.e. posted:

So if some method of input is impossible on typical controllers but is doable on controllers that are defective in the correct way, and being able to do this special input allows you to perform tricks in the game that are not possible ordinarily, that's kosher? What if there were some useful trick performed by, say, being able to input opposite directions on the D-Pad at the same time, and in order to do that you'd need to physically break the D-Pad? Would that be something a community should endorse in order to enable this special trick?

• Locked thread