Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm not watching any of this but what I have gleaned through osmosis is:

Conor McGregor is racist now

Floyd Mayweather screamed "form Voltron" for reasons nobody understands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a way to add Nate Diaz to this crap so he can beat both of these clowns?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

It's actually insanely funny that millions of people who casually follow boxing were crazy disappointed with the Manny fight and Floyd's performance in it, and now Floyd is back after two years to charge 100 dollars to watch him fight a guy with no professional boxing fights and apparently people are beyond hyped to fork the cash over again.

"A fool and his money are soon parted" is a phrase that will always be true, no matter when or how it's said

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Chris James 2 posted:

"A fool and his money are soon parted" is a phrase that will always be true, no matter when or how it's said

You get to watch the fight

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Honestly, these lovely showtime pressers are a sign of boxings death. Nobody at these drat things seem to be boxing fans on top of these fuckin irrelevant people coming up and expecting praise for owning something. Why the gently caress do these executives think anyone gives a poo poo about what they have to say?

Connor shouldn't have even addressed the racism thing. Just keep calling Floyd "boy" and let everyone's head spin. Addressing that someone is calling you racist just seems to make you automatically racist now. It didn't help he started loving black girls on stage.

Whos loving great idea was it anyway to expect two guys who get punched in the head for a living to give several speeches about a fight that hasn't happened yet. What the gently caress did anyone expect. I'm waiting for Floyd to talk about loving connors gf, and Connor to call him a friend of the family.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Honestly, these lovely showtime pressers are a sign of boxings death. Nobody at these drat things seem to be boxing fans on top of these fuckin irrelevant people coming up and expecting praise for owning something. Why the gently caress do these executives think anyone gives a poo poo about what they have to say?

Connor shouldn't have even addressed the racism thing. Just keep calling Floyd "boy" and let everyone's head spin. Addressing that someone is calling you racist just seems to make you automatically racist now. It didn't help he started loving black girls on stage.

Whos loving great idea was it anyway to expect two guys who get punched in the head for a living to give several speeches about a fight that hasn't happened yet. What the gently caress did anyone expect. I'm waiting for Floyd to talk about loving connors gf, and Connor to call him a friend of the family.

Probably the promoters thought it was a good idea after decades of precedence showing it is a good idea to have charismatic, divisive fighters talk up their own fights ahead of time op

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I thought Doug E Fresh was really on point

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

jay z's sedan posted:

I thought Doug E Fresh was really on point
Christ on a cross, the cringiest moment of the whole thing was that poor bastard with the musical act before hand.

Bluedeanie posted:

Probably the promoters thought it was a good idea after decades of precedence showing it is a good idea to have charismatic, divisive fighters talk up their own fights ahead of time op

Watch a drat UFC presser, you get two guys talking to each other rather than trying to form ultron or whatever the gently caress and it's a lot more entertaining and less cringe. I'm not slamming press conferences, I'm slamming showtimes poo poo press conferences.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

There is a way to add Nate Diaz to this crap so he can beat both of these clowns?

That's for the fight day

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Watch a drat UFC presser, you get two guys talking to each other rather than trying to form ultron or whatever the gently caress and it's a lot more entertaining and less cringe. I'm not slamming press conferences, I'm slamming showtimes poo poo press conferences.

That seems like pretty valid criticism, but I am confused why you didn't say that instead of

quote:

Whos loving great idea was it anyway to expect two guys who get punched in the head for a living to give several speeches about a fight that hasn't happened yet.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Christ on a cross, the cringiest moment of the whole thing was that poor bastard with the musical act before hand.

He reminded me I love being from one of ttfb and also maybe I love block parties

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Boxing is dying!

*Floyd sells 4 million PPVs*
*UFC can't even break 1 million buys on a single show in 2017*

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

1st AD posted:

Boxing is dying!

Sorry you forgot to post the year floyd sold those PPVs

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also Connor has the UFC by the balls and this poo poo show is pathetic. How the gently caress do you make Mayweather the face?

The chinese should fire Dana.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
How many ppvs is old triple g glombvobchin glopo glambigic selling

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Work Friend Keven posted:

How many ppvs is old triple g glombvobchin glopo glambigic selling

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

1st AD posted:

Boxing is dying!

Not only is it dying but it's basically dead already. You have a core of people still buying the ppvs since they know the game and how to place their bets but apparoach random people on the street an ask them to name 2 current boxing champions and see the difference when you ask people to name two UFC champions, or even just 10 ufc fighters.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Floyd can't talk
Conor shouldn't talk

how many more of these circuses are they going to do?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

Floyd can't talk
Conor shouldn't talk

how many more of these circuses are they going to do?

1 more before weighins?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm going to watch this in the Maldives I wonder who the spicy locals will be cheering for 🤔

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

DoctorGonzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPOOzufOpcA - A Diaz talking about boxing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nobody cares about boxing in the US, but it's still very popular globally. On the other hand no one anywhere cares about UFC fights not involving Conor McGregor or Ronda Rousey, it seems.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Very sad that Conner is saying all these racist things, just getting more people interested in the fight, getting more and more news written about it, everybody talking about it. What the f*ck was he thinking? You'd think he learned his lesson when he said all those racist things about Aldo and Nate Diaz and sold millions of pay per views and got paid a fuckoad for it. Hes got TMZ sports and Deadspin calling him racist, his career is pretty much over. loving idiot.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Very sad that Conner is saying all these racist things, just getting more people interested in the fight, getting more and more news written about it, everybody talking about it. What the f*ck was he thinking? You'd think he learned his lesson when he said all those racist things about Aldo and Nate Diaz and sold millions of pay per views and got paid a fuckoad for it. Hes got TMZ sports and Deadspin calling him racist, his career is pretty much over. loving idiot.

I'm pretty sure at some point he used his "dance for me" jibe at someone and included the word "monkey" in there somewhere. Maybe vs Eddie Alverez.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Floyd has the magic ability to get people to watch his fights despite them mostly being boring technical slogs. It's like some form of Money Mayweather Hypnosis where he convinces millions of people to buy his fights, and then after every one there's a grumbling outcry from casuals about how boring it was and everyone acts all surprised about it and goes "this is why no one cares about boxing" etc etc. And then they all line up again to do it next year when he does it again.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I understand this but don't think it really excuses saying racist things, either

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder how many careers are ended by racism in America yearly.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

attackmole posted:

Floyd has the magic ability to get people to watch his fights despite them mostly being boring technical slogs. It's like some form of Money Mayweather Hypnosis where he convinces millions of people to buy his fights, and then after every one there's a grumbling outcry from casuals about how boring it was and everyone acts all surprised about it and goes "this is why no one cares about boxing" etc etc. And then they all line up again to do it next year when he does it again.
Joke's on Maymeather though because I watched him fight once and didn't pay :smug:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I wonder how many careers are ended by racism in America yearly.

At least a half dozen. Maybe more.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

I understand this but don't think it really excuses saying racist things, either

Nothing he said was particularly offensive imo. He's saying the same poo poo as always only now everyone is viewing it with a racial lense. He's always called people out by their style and how they act. Aldo's a Brazilian bitch, Diaz is a wannabe cholo gangster, Alverez is a monkey, etc. etc. As far as I can tell the only racism that's really taken place is that people suddenly care about what he's saying bc Floyd is a black dude.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think boxing PPV is having a decent year actually.

Joshua vs Klitschko did 1.5 million ppv buys in the UK, with high ratings on free TV/premium cable around the world.

Canelo Chavez did over a million PPV buys.

The GGG vs Canelo match will probably still do very well, though it will be hurt a bit by the McGregor Mayweather circus show happening so near to it.

I think where boxing probably fails to compete with MMA is in the realm of free events on FS1, ESPN, etc. I don't have the numbers but wouldn't be surprised if the PBC shows that are on FS1 all the time don't come anywhere close to the ratings of the UFC fight night events that happen seemingly every other week.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Calling a black man boy is pretty loving racist. Saying I don't even see color doesn't wash it away and is in fact often said by racists.

Why so sensitive about people being called racists? I thought words don't matter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that both camps are going for whatever can incense people and draw eyeballs. There was no real animosity between the two, no thrown water bottles.
It's sad that stirring a controversy over racism is on the table.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Aldo's a Brazilian bitch, Diaz is a wannabe cholo gangster, Alverez is a monkey, etc. etc. As far as I can tell the only racism that's really taken place is that people suddenly care about what he's saying bc Floyd is a black dude.

Thank god Marcus Brimage came to the staredown with a DBZ toy on so that any racial insensitivity was overshadowed.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

the mcgregor vs showtime storyline was more interesting than the mcgregor is racist storyline

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

...and the pitch! posted:

Calling a black man boy is pretty loving racist. Saying I don't even see color doesn't wash it away and is in fact often said by racists.

Why so sensitive about people being called racists? I thought words don't matter.

That wasn't even Conor dude it was a Mexican man impersonating him.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Work Friend Keven posted:

That wasn't even Conor dude it was a Mexican man impersonating him.

based on his clothes, i can only conclude that it was in fact drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm not watching any of this but what I have gleaned through osmosis is:

Conor McGregor is racist now

Floyd Mayweather screamed "form Voltron" for reasons nobody understands

this also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUGNEyW7To&t=3726s.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Conor is black from the waist down so it's ok, pay attention you goof.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Insulting people who beat women using whatever language you feel like is cool.

Demanding you show some level of respect that is not disrespect to people who beat women is very stupid, and probably makes you the worst kind of person (a Travis Browne fan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Nah. You sound like you're pretty concerned about the race of everyone involved. If you watch any fight connors been in he calls pretty much everyone boy and bitch. You just see a black guy getting talked down to by a white dude this time so now it's racist. As for the air humping, not really racist, pathetic and cringed. But nothing racist about humping air.

Saying you don't see race is basically everyone's response to being called racist and then responding to it. He hosed up when he acknowledged people were calling him racist. Honestly, I'm hoping he goes after the showtime dude because that was actually funny.

• Locked thread