Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Totalbiscuit's fans constantly do poo poo like this and he never, ever owns up to it or tells them to stop, so learning he's involved completely explains the harassment.

Turns out when you have a group of fans and you make content based around targeting certain individuals, said fans can form a mob and go after said person

Who knew??

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I never actually played it very far but it always seemed cool and I heard it gets kinda hosed up at some point.

Ecco has a legitimately interesting story. It is the tale of a Dolphin whose pod was sucked up into the sky and so he must go on a journey to talk to the wise big blue whale in order to gain info on what happened to his pod. You go on this big journey to reach the whale and then the whale informs you that the god of the sea, a giant double helix known as the Asterite, should have the proper answers for you because the whale certainly doesn't know. You go speak with the Asterite and he says that if you wish to get info on your pod, you'll need to help him get some of his missing orbs back, and then you're told to go to a time machine in the lost city of Atlantis so that you can brave the prehistoric waters until you find the missing orbs. Turns out the Asterite is missing his orbs because you took them in the past in order to give them to him in the present. So you get the orbs and go back to the Asterite and he tells you about how xenomorph aliens known as the Vortex are using Giger pipelines to suck up the life out of the sea in order to feed their queen. By the time you've completed your quest for information, your pod would have been ground up into paste by the Vortex. With this in mind, the Asterite bestows upon you powers of health regeneration, the ability to breathe underwater, and the ability to damage the Vortex with your echolocation. He then sends you back in time to the point where your pod was abducted into the sky so that while your previous self goes on the journey to the whale, your current self gets pulled up into the sky and you swim through the machine which is a hellish and annoying autoscroller set to some wonderful music and then you fight the Vortex Queen and use your echolocation to shoot her jaw off multiple times until she dies and your pod and other sea life are all restored to the sea.

Ecco is fuckin badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdRf-IVFeOs

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Totalbiscuit's still an unapologetic GG supporter, right?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Ecco is fuckin badass

:aaaaa:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ecco is one of those games with an awesome look and feel that is just a bit too difficult for me to get very far in. I feel like 16-bit was maybe too early.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk72RMv9d0s

Ecco the Dolphin knows how to rock the gently caress out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ecco is one of those games with an awesome look and feel that is just a bit too difficult for me to get very far in. I feel like 16-bit was maybe too early.

Same, but toss in Sub-Terrania and Dynamite Headdy as well (though Dynamite Headdy might be the easiest of those 3, I just wasn't very good at it)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I got so close to beating the Dreamcast Ecco game, which would have been something given how loving hard that game is, but I got to the next to last level and just couldn't convince myself to push through. Now the game is too dated to ever really bother going back, at least I assume it'll feel ultra dated given that it was janky even back then

That's also a game where I accidentally hosed something up and had to redo a level that took me forever to make my way through. Rather than redo it I didn't play it for a year and when I finally came back the level in question took me like 5 minutes. I felt so dumb.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Maxwell Lord posted:

Totalbiscuit's still an unapologetic GG supporter, right?

What the heck would an apologetic GG be like?

"Sorry about those death threats I sent ya"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel this way about Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I mean yeah I once cheated my way through it but it's not the same.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Same, but toss in Sub-Terrania and Dynamite Headdy as well (though Dynamite Headdy might be the easiest of those 3, I just wasn't very good at it)

Sub-Terrania is one of the best games no one played and has a baller-rear end soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJEJYTeRwM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

What the heck would an apologetic GG be like?

"Sorry about those death threats I sent ya"

While not GG, Lindy West had a troll apologize to her first on Twitter and later on This American Life when he stepped back and realized how horrible he was (he had set up a Twitter account posing as her very recently deceased dad and sent messages saying how disappointed he was in her

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I feel this way about Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I mean yeah I once cheated my way through it but it's not the same.

I once used level select on that game and somehow beating every level but the first one which, for the life of me, I could not beat for whatever reason

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My grandpa always bought all the SNES and Genesis games he saw at yard sales well into the 2000s cause he knew I liked vgs, and the best thing he ever gave me was a copy of Sub Terraria after years of playing it on janky 90s emus. Idk where it is now but thanks grandpa <3

He also found an apparently super rare top loader NES with AV out that I will also treasure forever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The good thing about not being an insane person is that it really lets you take a step back and assess a situation without frothing at the mouth or telling someone to commit suicide. Alex Mauer is ill (hence the twitter banner of herself with a knife to her own throat) and does not deserve personal attacks on her character, but also is an rear end in a top hat and did really scummy stuff. Whether she did the scummy stuff because she is having a breakdown or is having a breakdown because of the backlash doesn't really matter anymore. It is what it is- some people covering the issue tried to get her the help she definitely needs and she accepted, then rejected it. It's understandable people would be mad at her not just for her actions but her attitude about the whole thing, but the problem with pissing off lots and lots of people is that you really get the gamut between sane and rational people and this

in response.

edit: basically I still believe this post I made a while back

CJacobs posted:

I think it's a matter of where you draw the line deciding when someone deserves the backlash they get for doing hostile stuff. Some would say it's never deserved no matter how harsh the action, others would argue that if you do something lovely enough you deserve what you get. It's really down to personal opinion where that line lies but I would say that attacking someone's character for the actions they take is pretty low. making GBS threads on you for the person that you are instead of the things that you do, etc.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 15, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

and then you fight the Vortex Queen and use your echolocation to shoot her jaw off multiple times until she dies and your pod and other sea life are all restored to the sea.

my worst/most major ecco the dolphin memory is this:

when i played ecco the dolphin, i used a game genie code to get infinite health because i was as bad at games then as i am now. the vortex queen has this instant death attack that she can do where she creates a vacuum current that pulls you towards her mouth. you can easily avoid it by using c swim speed, but she also uses it in the phase where you have to use your dash attack to hit her jaw, so it's kind of a dance that you can screw up if you get caught off-guard. if you get caught, the game handles it such that it just damages you until you die.

ecco also makes this sega genesis-ey dolphin scream when you take damage. also also, hitting the vortex queen at the very end of the fight when she's helpless calls a screen-wide effect that turns everything but ecco bright red (ecco turns black so you can still tell where you are) and getting eaten during the vacuum attack calls this same effect.

but if you're invincible, you enter into an infinite loop of ecco screaming as he takes damage and the screen turning red and it doesn't stop

and now for your viewing pleasure, this is someone else's video of this glitch, except it doesn't continually do damage because ????:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBKvu8eSvX8

i was like seven

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 15, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I could never get through the water stages in sub terrania and I always wondered what crazy and cool stuff came after them. i randomly found some guy streaming it the other day and he was super good at it, and it turns out the only thing after the water stages is a really cheap boss and then the game ends.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For the life of me I could never figure out how anyone was suppose to get passed the Welcome to the Machine level in the original Ecco. That level went on for like ten minutes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ecco the Dolphin was cool as hell but I was scared to play it as a kid because the idea of the open ocean frightened me. Ironically I was scared of drowning in the ocean more than the aliens.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

The completion goes to 130%

It is finished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

Ecco the Dolphin was cool as hell but I was scared to play it as a kid because the idea of the open ocean frightened me. Ironically I was scared of drowning in the ocean more than the aliens.

i mean it didn't help that every stage had a really creepy and ominous description. like the stage (that's straight up called) "open ocean" says something like "the open ocean is cold, dark, and unforgiving. there are many tiger sharks and an unprepared traveler will face certain death"

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

For the life of me I could never figure out how anyone was suppose to get passed the Welcome to the Machine level in the original Ecco. That level went on for like ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6QA6n0NGdw

It's just under six minutes and trolls you constantly by trapping you in paths that looked safe but are suddenly dead ends

Also if you die to the boss immediately after the level, you get to do The Machine all over again!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6QA6n0NGdw

It's just under six minutes and trolls you constantly by trapping you in paths that looked safe but are suddenly dead ends

Also if you die to the boss immediately after the level, you get to do The Machine all over again!

Wow you just straight up explode the aliens' heads with your sonar huh

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Wow you just straight up explode the aliens' heads with your sonar huh

All Genesis games were metal as gently caress, even this game that's about a cute dolphin searching for his lost family.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It is finished

Congrats :toot:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Prog it up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's called playing the Japanese version because it has toned down difficulty and doesn't do this...

...bullshit to you when you die (you still get sent to a level I believe but it's different and shorter and not difficult or something).

Or just use the level select code which made you have to pause the game mid-turn right when Ecco faces you and then inputting a code. I got really good at inputting that code.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks. It's probably my most satisfying game accomplishment since the Challenge in The Witness.

And just in time to watch Puyo Puyo masters do things that I will only have a glimmer of understanding https://www.twitch.tv/ghoul02

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have a potentially hot-button question to ask about Rimworld. A year ago or so RPS posted an article explaining how there were no bi men in Rimworld, and how its in-game humans had a very screwy sexuality and all that.

I also vaguely heard that the guy fixed that up after the uproar?

So, uh - did he? I've played a lot of Prison Architect and I want something... similar but more, and I just got some early birthday present money, and Rimworld might be it.

(Also in advance yes I know this is a dumb issue to get hung up over but I might be about to spend thirty bucks and I do care about decent portrayals of gender in videogames, especially given that this one advertises watching romances happen amongst your colonists.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is it worth dropping $60 on Battletech for the beta? Note: I love Battletech.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have a potentially hot-button question to ask about Rimworld. A year ago or so RPS posted an article explaining how there were no bi men in Rimworld, and how its in-game humans had a very screwy sexuality and all that.

I also vaguely heard that the guy fixed that up after the uproar?

So, uh - did he? I've played a lot of Prison Architect and I want something... similar but more, and I just got some early birthday present money, and Rimworld might be it.

(Also in advance yes I know this is a dumb issue to get hung up over but I might be about to spend thirty bucks and I do care about decent portrayals of gender in videogames, especially given that this one advertises watching romances happen amongst your colonists.)

Not that I know of. The only thing fixed was a "gaydar" where gay characters are less likely to try romancing non-gay characters, the potentially catastrophic issue that lead to someone wanting to figure out how the gently caress relationships in the game worked. The dude defended his decisions as being both thematic to the harsh survival nature of the world and also his own personal experiences and observations.

My rule of thumb, if you ever hesitate to support someone you feel uncomfortable about then don't. Play Dwarf Fortress instead

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

Not that I know of. The only thing fixed was a "gaydar" where gay characters are less likely to try romancing non-gay characters, the potentially catastrophic issue that lead to someone wanting to figure out how the gently caress relationships in the game worked. The dude defended his decisions as being both thematic to the harsh survival nature of the world and also his own personal experiences and observations.

My rule of thumb, if you ever hesitate to support someone you feel uncomfortable about then don't. Play Dwarf Fortress instead

Hrmmmmmm. Great.

I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning, because my craving for that type of gameplay is getting pretty intense. And I hear you on Dwarf Fortress, but I can't grok the UI in it despite multiple attempts with tutorials, LPs, and so on. :sigh:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

al-azad posted:

The dude defended his decisions as being both thematic to the harsh survival nature of the world and also his own personal experiences and observations.

This being "no woman is completely straight + men are all either 100% straight or 100% gay", right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

al-azad posted:

This seems like a completely negligible thing to get hung up on from the way you have explained it so I hope it's a deeper issue than that

edit

This being "no woman is completely straight + men are all either 100% straight or 100% gay", right?

After looking it up on my own, it's this.

quote:

academic Claudia Lo dug into RimWorld’s code and found that “there are no bisexual men, only gay or straight men; there are no straight women, only gay or bisexual women.” Women are also eight times less likely to hit on men. A few other items, like how men are less attracted to older women (but not the reverse), and how physical beauty is the only measure of attractiveness, stood out to Lo. These things are real-life issues that can negatively impact real-life people. To Lo, it was strange for a sci-fi game developer to intentionally insert them into his game.

lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yep.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reminds me of how in Dead Island one of the protagonists has a skill that makes the team members do more damage to the opposite sex and it was called "feminist whore" in the code :rolleyes:

I think that the actual game should be judged by how it actually plays out in practice and not what's under the hood- the article I found mentions that the code leads to different and more realistic results than it implies thanks to other coding involved. But what it says about the developer themselves is definitely important. Like the Dead Island thing, that code is there telling what's actually going on as well as the opinions of those who coded it, and you can't hide it from people who pry the game open.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 15, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sub-Terrania is one of the best games no one played and has a baller-rear end soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJEJYTeRwM

Yeah the soundtrack was done by Jesper Kyd, might've been the first game he worked on, I'm not sure, definitely early in his work though. He's the person who did the soundtracks for the assassin's creed games (or at least the early ones, idk if he handled the soundtracks for all of them) as well as the soundtracks for the hitman series (dunno about the most recent one) and the borderlands series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Reminds me of how in Dead Island one of the protagonists has a skill that makes the team members do more damage to the opposite sex and it was called "feminist whore" in the code :rolleyes:

I think that the actual game should be judged by how it actually plays out in practice and not what's under the hood, but what it says about the developer themselves is definitely important. Like the Dead Island thing, that code is there telling what's actually going on as well as the opinions of those who coded it, and you can't hide it from people who pry the game open.

It's very much a case of "am I comfortable paying for/playing a game made by a person who offends me" - like reading Orson Scott Card or similar things. So - I have to decide with myself if I'm comfortable with it or not. Thanks for answering my question, al-azad!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the rimworld guy admitted he was wrong and fixed it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I felt like playing some Titanfall 2 due to discussion here so after several months of not playing it apparently I have to download 14 gigs of updates :psyduck:. I thought they only added a couple maps and mechs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's very much a case of "am I comfortable paying for/playing a game made by a person who offends me" - like reading Orson Scott Card or similar things. So - I have to decide with myself if I'm comfortable with it or not. Thanks for answering my question, al-azad!

It's really down to personal preference. I think it's fine to not play a game if you can't separate it from the developers, people do it all the time by boycotting games whose publishers are terrible to their devs. The thoughts and feelings of the developers are very tightly integrated into the games they make no matter what kind of game it is. So imo it's much more understandable to be unable to separate them than say a film or book where the creator's voice is still there, but much further in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You know what's a fun game? Gnomoria. Unfortunately it's one of those games where there was one really annoying thing and idk if it ever got fixed but anytime it happened I'd just be like...:oh:

Basically I'd order my gnomes to clear out some land and somehow, every fuckin time, one of them would clear out all of the land directly around them so they'd be stuck on a floating tile I couldn't seem to get rid of in any way.

• Locked thread