Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was able to find it in the menu once I had it no problem, I just had no idea what level it was in until that guy posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah it's odd because there are certain bosses that you can't dodge without it (Brandish, the sword guy who is definitely NOT zero), but you could theoretically go through 7 stages before unlocking it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Solid games based on my experiences and from what I commonly see recommended in the thread:

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero
Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +
Kamiko
Thumper
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Cave Story+
GoNNer

wuggles posted:

Cave Story+ if you've never played it before.

Cheers, since I can't get BoI or Cave Story+ in the EU I'll probably get Gunvolt, Blaster Master and Vaccine.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Going to have limited time with Splatoon today, I want to test it as well as I can to see if it's worth buying. Should I hold the joycons divided, or should I use the grip to hold them together (going to use motion control aiming)

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Dr Cheeto posted:

In this context I'm talking about the GC left stick being half-pressed backwards relative to the character it controls, not the N64 A button being held.

Obviously though I'm still gonna post the greatest piece of art mankind has created
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

This is amazing

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

angel opportunity posted:

Going to have limited time with Splatoon today, I want to test it as well as I can to see if it's worth buying. Should I hold the joycons divided, or should I use the grip to hold them together (going to use motion control aiming)

I'm so used to using both hands i'd put it in the grip, BUT since you've never done it you probably should try both. and adjust the hell out of the sensitivity either way. It's going to take some fiddling, I know I do middling motion and high stick cause the sticks are my oh poo poo 180 quick turn and use motion for 99% of my actual aiming.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Use what comes naturally to you. Practice aiming in the square.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Some leveled squids in my plaza, did the splatfest already happen?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spellman posted:

Some leveled squids in my plaza, did the splatfest already happen?

They're plants. Fakes!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My switch won't wake up from sleep (is there a loving off mode anymore? I miss those days) if its docked now. This is really annoying.

I have to go pick it up and then suddenly it recognizes the controllers. I've got them in the dog-ear thing right now and no matter what button I push it won't wake up in the dock all of a sudden. Ugh.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

If you want to practice controls, if you select the stage preview in the lobby and hit the recon button it allows you to play around by yourself with your full loadout

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Switch automatically turns on the TV and sets it to the right input when I turn the Switch on.

this is the future

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yo can I get some Pro Controller testimonials from you guys, worth it? Thinking about getting it, mainly because the weird shape of the Joycon one is more obvious with a shooter than it was with BotW.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Please don't try to trick goons into paying for a game that's free on PC.

That's not nice!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pierson posted:

Yo can I get some Pro Controller testimonials from you guys, worth it? Thinking about getting it, mainly because the weird shape of the Joycon one is more obvious with a shooter than it was with BotW.

Its good. Hard to imagine you'd be disappointed, it does what it says on the tin. If you want basically a PS4 controller for your Switch there ya go.

I mean the dog-ear thing is pretty similar, but the pro is more comfortable.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Pierson posted:

At first I really wasn't sure on the shape. I've got large hands and the handles for the controller are a tad small. But, having said that I really like the pro controller. It's got fantastic build quality and the control sticks are far better than on the joy cons.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pierson posted:

It's good and I'm definitely glad I have it rather than don't. Holds a charge for like 60-70 hours too.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah the pro controller is amazing. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend getting one

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

neo turf masters is top 5 switch.

This is wrong and a lie.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Aight thanks guys, sounds like i'll be picking one up with Splatoon 2 next week.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

I think it's worth mentioning that I had to exchange my first pro controller as it wasn't holding it's charge. The replacement I got is perfect though and has no issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wish the pro controller wasn't $80. Who am I kidding. I have docked my Switch once to see how it works and I have played handheld ever since.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Switch automatically turns on the TV and sets it to the right input when I turn the Switch on.

this is the future

This blew my mind when it first happened. Shame it does not work with all tvs.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wish the pro controller wasn't $80. Who am I kidding. I have docked my Switch once to see how it works and I have played handheld ever since.

I have good news!

It's $70!

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Actual good news - Hori is making a wired Pro controller for $30

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAUATSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vBMAzbM8FBVEW

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I bought a Pro controller as soon as I could, and I'm picking up the Splatoon 2 version soon too (preordered it because I had a Best Buy credit that was going to expire).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo's Mr Ishikawa drew art of the Splatoon invitational champion and Ribbon girl and they sent it to him as a surprise.

https://twitter.com/B33ZERK/status/885624609432780801

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That's pretty rad.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nintendo's Mr Ishikawa drew art of the Splatoon invitational champion and Ribbon girl and they sent it to him as a surprise

Please don't troll me by misidentifying ARMS characters

That's clearly Min Min

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Recon mode isn't open yet for splat2 right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pierson posted:

Got it when I was playing BotW and it was absolutely worth it. Also better than joycons when playing MK8DX.

Also have a Nes30pro which is good but not as good as the Switch Pro controller.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pro controller easily upped my BotW game. It's pricy but I would call it essential if you play docked.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The pro controller is so much better than using the joycons. It's a must.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I'll give the dissenting opinion and say that the pro controller is fine but completely inessential. I think the grip with the Joy-cons is a great controller and I played through all of BOTW docked with it with no problems. I bought a pro controller recently to play Arms in local multiplayer, and it's only marginally more comfortable than the Joycon grip and certainly not $70 more comfortable. In fact, I sort of regret getting it and wish I had spent the extra money to buy two new Joycons and an extra grip instead because then I could potentially set up 4-player local multiplayer.

The other thing about the pro controller is that while the D-pad is not unusable (like NeoGAF would have you believe) it *is* poorly designed and kind of uncomfortable. The middle part of the D-pad has no real support, so it's sort of tiring on your thumb since you can't really roll it around very easily. It's hard to explain so if the D-pad is essential for you, you might want to try it out before buying. You also might just want to hold out for the inevitable NES-themed left Joycon with D-pad that will be released when VC comes out.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I like the Joycons a lot in tablet mode and spent the bulk of my 120~ hours of BotW on it. Outside of that, the dog ear controller thing is awful and made my hands cramp constantly, while the pro controller is drat near perfect.

The Switch is pretty neat.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

RCarr posted:

The pro controller is so much better than using the joycons. It's a must.

Why? I love the joycons; being able to do whatever with my hands is great.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I like the split joycons for Mario kart but not for botw

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

If they came out with good individual Joycon grips that are better than the awful ones the Switch came with, like a Joycon Pro or something, I'd be in heaven.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The biggest problem with Joy Cons is the gate between your thumb's reach and the lower joystick and buttons. The only remedy would be to angle them inwardly so that your thumb can sweep over to the joystick more naturally. Unfortunately, this would also change the angle you'd have to press to go a certain direction, and the R&L triggers would be positioned differently as well. Also, it's ugly

Doesn't bother me in BotW but I'd definitely need the pro for Smash Bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Recon mode isn't open yet for splat2 right?

You have to wait until the US splatfest starts in about 30 minutes, then go to the lobby and it should be there in stage select

• Locked thread